Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am not stressing out either.  And agree they will likely find a good HC.

Agree there is a good chance Johnson figured out he's still not ready.  Sheehan asked around with sources he trusts and what he heard back was Dan Campbell isn't just the voice in that locker room, he's really the only voice, with some dose of Glenn and Johnson is quiet.  And their thought is Johnson isn't sure if hes ready to do what Dan does. 

All of that is fine.  But he didn't turn jobs down from the jump.  He launched into the process both times. 

The issue in my book about Ben Johnson is going through the process, not once but twice.   Having teams spend time with him and consider him and then bail.  As one NFL insider say, they can't recall a coach ever doing this two years in a row.  And if you got a team flying out to see you, you don't text them IMO midflight you aren't interested.  That's tacky IMO.  And I find it relevant now when Keim said a week or so ago that he heard Johnson was working on his people skills.  That's bad people skills IMO and a bit rude.

The leaks about him wanting 15 million a year -- and Schefter among others piping in that teams were put off on the big price -- maybe is all BS but when you got multiple reporters especially Schefter say the same I figure there is some smoke to the fire.  As Sheehan specualted this morning (it hit me because I was thinking the same) it comes off like he didn't want to be a HC but heck if someone offers him crazy money, he will suck it up and do it.

Overall, some of that is speculation.  Some here give him the benefit of the doubt.  Some don't.  Either take is fine.  But its not speculation that he went through the interview process two years in a row and bailed both times and yeah I think its comically level rude to having a contingent come to Detriot to interview you and you text them mid-flight, sorry, not interested.

But as I said a blessing in disguise.  No biggie.  I got no panic about it.  But yeah I am not in the camp that Ben did it all fine and fans should have no issue with his behavior.  Tacky behavior from Ben IMO. 

Ben likely be a poor head coach if he gets a gig one Dan.

A little Josh McDaniels redux with Colts, except Josh was head coach before.

Some team will fall in love with him but I think these 2 years are showing a big red  flag of making him your guy.

Just now, BurgundyBooger said:

We had all the leverage.

Where did we F up?

How did the CommandSkins have "all the leverage"?  Clearly they did not.

Looks like they did want Johnson bad, but, he wants to stay where he is, so be it.  They rolled the dice and lost out.  Also, he isn't a slam dunk, he was just the young/sexy coordinator.  We have no idea what kind of a leader of an entire team he would make.

I know this team has draft capital and cap space, but they are in the dregs of the league with the current roster being mostly sub-par.  A ****ty stadium (who knows when the new stadium is complete), terrible facilities and 25+ years of straight-up awfulness.  The stink of Snyder will take a while to clear.  This will be a multi-step rebuild that will take some time.  

• Like 2

Macdonald schematically is exactly what Seattle needs. The offenses in his division are the exact offenses that Macdonald's defense absolutely destroys. But of course the question is: can he lead and direct men? We shall see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

The vibe I get is the decision makers have an actual hierarchy of desired traits and skills for the hire and being astute businessmen also knew it could be a competition and other places and offers could beat their hand and would prepare for that without having to regard such adjustments as disappointments.

You can have a scenario where you find different scores for different strengths you seek for a number of candidates without it  being some overall disappointment if particular ones in that group don't pan out.

I think that's kind of typical in big boy business operations. Even if you have a fave, you craft a sufficiently populated list where several on it will be considered capable of meeting the needs. 

Agree.  I think that's the main reason why Bob Myers in particular is involved.  He has a reputation of changing the culture of teams and buiulding a winning culture.

As to desired traits, i am guessing they highlight leadership and motivation skills but drilling down further reading about Myers I gather they are looking for someone who can manage people on the field and off the field without letting drama and division swallow them up.

The article about the Jets I posted about all the divisons within the locker room is a good case in point about what how things can go astray.

From the Athletic -- about Myers

Screen Shot 2024-01-31 at 1.13.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-31 at 1.13.30 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

I'm he's been talked about ad nauseum here, but in my opinion we should have gone hard after Jim Harbaugh, and paid him whatever he asked for.  Proven winner in the NFL. Took a 10 year break to go to college, reached the pinnacle there. I don't think he would miss a beat here in the NFL.  May have seemed like a Danny-Era hire, but the new regime can't be gun shy as a result of Danny's mistakes.

Just now, actorguy1 said:

Im not surprised at all. I’m pretty disappointed how this search has gone. We’ll see what happens, but we missed out on my top 2 choices. One of which I feel we let go. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Tough though to say you trust Peters if that's your take IMO.

Peters has spent a zillion hours more on Quinn than we have.  He's actually talking to him for hours one on one.  We aren't.  He's hearing his plan to improve the team.  We arent.   He knows people who worked with Quinn directly.  We don't.

So if Peters with so much more information than we do and is the professional and we aren't...yet we think we have a better handle on the situation than how good do we really think Peters is at their job?

I am not saying we can't have takes.  I have a take too.  I want Macdonald.  But that's more about his profile.  I don't know MacDonald personally.  I haven't heard his plan to improve the team.  I haven't personally talked to people who worked with him.

I get this dynamic sometimes in my business where some of my colleagues have reputations with others who speak to me about it in the context of jobs.  And I am sometimes able to clarify to them about these people because I know some of these people really well where their reputations-word of mouth is off the mark from my point of view.

In Quinn's case the word of mouth is mostly great stuff.  So from a fan basis.  Quinn I think is working against type.  For Presidents the next President often is someone who goes against type of the previous one because people are ready for a change.  I get it I typically feel that way too about the coaches.  And Quinn is working against the parallels of Rivera.    

He's not who I want profile wise but if that's who they hire I am not going to assume Peters made a mistake.

I know what you mean SIP, but this is just one facet of Peters’ role. Just because I might think he gets this one thing wrong by hiring Quinn doesn’t mean I don’t think he’ll be great at other things and ultimately a great GM.

Perfectly put in the parallels to Rivera, but honestly for all the things he may have in common with Rivera none of it is the reason I wouldn’t want him here.

My big problem is his productivity as a HC, nearly 100 games is a truly great sample size and it’s so underwhelming. I’ll add to that, that leadership aside I’m still yet to read or hear a truly compelling argument that Quinn can rebuild this franchise to compete, that unnerves me greatly.

6 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

To be fair, ending the week with neither Johnson nor Macdonald as our new HC is going to be quite the shift from the weekend just gone. 

Yes, it will be, but we will get over it.

What's important is that our decision makers maintain their poise an.d confidence and make the best decision possible given the alternatives that remain in play.

I miss working.

I used to be at my best when things seemed to be crumbling around me.

Those were great days in retrospect though they seemed like hell in the moment.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

I've spent many years around Seattle and the puget sound region. The rain is real but still greatly exaggerated. It's a beautiful and fantastic city and great area. Home to many major corporations. Great parks for many miles around. Great arts and music scene. Great sports scene. It's a continuously prosperous and diverse state.

The whole of western Washington and northwest part of Oregon are fantastic places for scenery, great towns, fantastic coastline and all the outdoors activities you could ask for. The rain is a thing, but not anything close to a deal breaker for any reasonable human. The Summers are not two months long.

Also, there has been plenty of stupid in this thread of more types in the last 24 hours than in quite awhile. How about getting a grip? 

Agreed.

I spent a few weeks there in late '82.   It was a fun town and the surroundings are beautiful.  They had some great skiing within driving distance too.

Fun Fact:  I watched the Seahawks beat the Broncos at the Kingdome.   Our future coach, Jim Zorn, was the Seahawks QB at the time and a lot of fans were pissed because they wanted to tank that game for next years pick.  I also remember them doing the wave, (I think it may have originated there), and getting a ration of **** because I was decked out in Skins gear  and too young to realize that wearing your teams jerseys when they're not playing is a douche move..

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 1