Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

4 minutes ago, FrFan said:

They had a good relationship working for the 49ers, I believe Peters has a plan for Mayhew.

Agreed.

There's a benefit to having a subordinate that you've worked with successfully before.

They understand each other and they have an established shorthand and division of duties that's already defined.

They can accomplish a lot off the bat without having a prolonged get to know each other period.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bearrock said:

You know we had a coach in the 80s who started 0-5 right?  No good coach starts 0-5?  Really?

I think he's referencing how long that coach had in charge and that the team actually started going sideways instead of improving.

I'd also add that I'm never quite sure what it means when the media talks about such positive things about a coach behind closed doors. How much value is that really? That guys love him? Could be good. Could also be totally immaterial. Sometimes people are just people person's and it's a skill that's helpful, but not remotely defining of whether they can be successful as a coach or not.

I have no idea if he'd be a good coach or not, I just know he was probably sixth on my list going into the offseason at best, and it would be a huge blow to not even get a top 5 option. Hopefully he'd prove me wrong, but I'm pretty skeptical, and I wanted to avoid DC's as HC with a rookie QB coming in to boot. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to the NFL Network guys just now.

They go this team is looking for a leader of men.  Rapoport highlighted Quinn and Weaver. 

The vibe I get is the decision makers have an actual hierarchy of desired traits and skills for the hire and being astute businessmen also knew it could be a competition and other places and offers could beat their hand and would prepare for that without having to regard such adjustments as disappointments.

You can have a scenario where you find different scores for different strengths you seek for a number of candidates without it  being some overall disappointment if particular ones in that group don't pan out.

I think that's kind of typical in big boy business operations. Even if you have a fave, you craft a sufficiently populated list where several on it will be considered capable of meeting the needs. 

• Like 8
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

"The only thing so far that I’m a little disappointed about is that they’ve not brought in Vrabel for an interview, "

Absolutely no idea if it's true or not and I can't recall the exact source, but I either heard or read somewhere that Vrabel wants final say on coaching hires, personnel, and roster, which essentially would make his acquisition another coach centric reign of (t)error.

Can't see Harris and Peters being comfortable with that.

In which case, that puts the Vrabel stuff to bed if true. Would be suicide to immediately undermine Peters position.

• Thumb up 1

13 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

Not really sure this is the right attitude to have, I think two things can be true here. You can

1. Be excited about Adam Peters future with this organisation

2. Think he’s making a mistake by hiring a candidate you don’t particularly like

Tough though to say you trust Peters if that's your take IMO.

Peters has spent a zillion hours more on Quinn than we have.  He's actually talking to him for hours one on one.  We aren't.  He's hearing his plan to improve the team.  We arent.   He knows people who worked with Quinn directly.  We don't.

So if Peters with so much more information than we do and is the professional and we aren't...yet we think we have a better handle on the situation than how good do we really think Peters is at their job?

I am not saying we can't have takes.  I have a take too.  I want Macdonald.  But that's more about his profile.  I don't know MacDonald personally.  I haven't heard his plan to improve the team.  I haven't personally talked to people who worked with him.

I get this dynamic sometimes in my business where some of my colleagues have reputations with others who speak to me about it in the context of jobs.  And I am sometimes able to clarify to them about these people because I know some of these people really well where their reputations-word of mouth is off the mark from my point of view.

In Quinn's case the word of mouth is mostly great stuff.  So from a fan basis.  Quinn I think is working against type.  For Presidents the next President often is someone who goes against type of the previous one because people are ready for a change.  I get it I typically feel that way too about the coaches.  And Quinn is working against the parallels of Rivera.    

He's not who I want profile wise but if that's who they hire I am not going to assume Peters made a mistake.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Oh well, looks like we get the leftovers. 

Some things never change. Doesn't look like the new owner/GM has made us a more attractive landing spot for a top HC.

That's not the equation.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

Seattle has a 10 year history of winning and one of most respected general managers. It’s not like we are losing out to the Cardinals or Panthers. Really sucks with the Johnson news because there were 2 slam dunk candidates.

They also have no good path to a QB and will likely be sold during his contract. And he has to move his family to the other side of the country.

I think it goes without saying that we trust Peters. I mean at least, we should. But that doesn't mean you can't be disappointed if the guy you liked didn't get hired.

Its like in the draft. Of course the FO people spend more time on that stuff than we do, but there are always prospects we love and when we don't get em, its disappointing. I remember how disappointed I was when we lost out on Olave and Hamilton in 2022 or passed on Gonzalez and JPJ for Forbes last year.

8 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Oh well, looks like we get the leftovers. 

Some things never change. Doesn't look like the new owner/GM has made us a more attractive landing spot for a top HC.

We had all the leverage. Location, salary cap, draft capital, GM...

Where did we F up?

Edited by BurgundyBooger
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

"The only thing so far that I’m a little disappointed about is that they’ve not brought in Vrabel for an interview, "

Absolutely no idea if it's true or not and I can't recall the exact source, but I either heard or read somewhere that Vrabel wants final say on coaching hires, personnel, and roster, which essentially would make his acquisition another coach centric reign of (t)error.

Can't see Harris and Peters being comfortable with that.

I believe that the main reason for his Titans exit was because of disagreement with the GM about how much roster control he had.

Washington wants a harmonious relationship between coach and GM.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BurgundyBooger said:

We had all the leverage.

Where did we F up?

Why do people think we F'd up?

We cast a wide net and interviewed a bunch of different candidates. We wanted to interview candidates from Baltimore and Detroit before making any decisions, but had to wait.

We scheduled interviews with them. One of them, perceived by the fanbase and some outside media as the favorites(but NOT perceived by the FO apparently), dropped out at literally the last minute. How is that US effing up?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Tough though to say you trust Peters if that's your take IMO.

Peters has spent a zillion hours more on Quinn than we have.  He's actually talking to him for hours one on one.  We aren't.  He's hearing his plan to improve the team.  We arent.   He knows people who worked with Quinn directly.  We don't.

So if Peters with so much more information than we do and is the professional and we aren't...yet we think we have a better handle on the situation than how good do we really think Peters is at their job?

I am not saying we can't have takes.  I have a take too.  I want Macdonald.  But that's more about his profile and my guy.  I don't know MacDonald personally.  I haven't heard his plan to improve the team.  I haven't personally talked to people who worked with him.

I get it sometimes in my business where some of my colleagues have reputations with others who speak to me about it in the context of jobs.  And I am sometimes able to clarify to them about these people because I know some of these people really well where their reputations-word of mouthn is off the mark.

In Quinn's case the word of mouth is mostly great stuff.  So from a fan basis.  Quinn I think is working against type.  For Presidents the next President often is someone who goes against type of the previous one because people are ready for a change.  I get it I typically feel that way too about the coaches.  And Quinn is working against the parallels of Rivera.    

He's not who I want profile wise but if that's who they hire I am not going to assume Peters made a mistake.

If he is indeed their number one guy, why the delay?

2 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Facing reality there's a plus 90% probability that MacDonald is  off the table.

No way he takes a second interview in Seattle, one day after his first interview in Baltimore, unless there is serious interest from both parties.

He is likely going there with the hope of closing a deal, if there are no last minute snags.

That said, we have no choice but to move forward with confidence.

That leaves Quinn, Weaver, Glenn or the reopening of interviews with new candidates.

Of those options I see no slam dunk. The safest option is probably Quinn. The greatest gamble with potentially a higher ceiling is probably Weaver. Glenn would not be my choice.

For me it would come down to whether Quinn or Weaver, at this late stage in the game, is more likely to attract the best OC (for a rookie qb) and other assistants.

We need to move though. Time is not on our side.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Saleh is a good X's and O's guy.  But this showcases again how play calling isn't everything as to being a HC.  You need to manage people and situations.

JFC.  This job isn't for everyone, and the wishy-washy and insecure are not fit for it at all.  This echos the situation with the Giants under Daboll.  And it also lays bare how utterly incompetent so many coaches like Robert Saleh are at developing young QBs.  They undermine and scapegoat them instead of protecting them and propping them up.  Most of the time, they don't really understand how to do that.

This is why I say that franchise QBs are made, more so than found.  Any prospect you plopped down into that situation in NY with Saleh would have struggled and failed.  That ownership situation sounds really ****ty too, and basically turned their HC into a paranoid fool.  Seems all too familiar.

And this is also what scares me about hiring a defensive coach who either doesn't have high level experience as a player, or never played QB before.  So many coaches with that background are awful at working with young QBs.  But writing off defensive coaches as a whole because so many struggle at developing QBs is crazy, because a ton of the best coaches in the history of the game come from a defensive background.

I'm kind of taken aback by how big the hate for Dan Quinn is on here.  I feel like I'm alone in liking him and his defense.  He's an innovator who ran a brilliant and aggressive scheme.  I have been super jealous watching that Cowboys scheme from the outside for the last three years, and I wish we had it here.  I can't speak on his quality as a head coach, but he seems to have a good reputation from his time in Atlanta, and it's definitely been enhanced by his outstanding work in Dallas.  He doesn't feel like a bottom of the barrel candidate to me at all, and I don't see why people hate him but like Raheem Morris.

I'm also a little uncomfortable about Mike MacDonald's lack of experience.  That was my concern about Ben Johnson, and I think it's even more of an issue with MacDonald.  The dude is super fresh and it bothers me a little that he never even played the game at the college level, and I could be wrong, but I think he'd be the only Head Coach in the NFL where that is true.  Young guys are often pretty insecure in the appearance of their professional competence, still finding their style and voice as leaders, inconsistent, lacking patience and perspective, etc.  I like that he's come up in the ranks of the Ravens culture, with a mentor like Harbaugh.  But I have concerns about his readiness to run the whole show and lead a rebuild with a young QB that he would have to develop on his own.  If we hire MacDonald to be HC, then I think it's an absolute must to go out and get an OC with a ton of seasoning and experience to help steady him while he learns on the job.  If we hire Dan Quinn, he's not going to need training wheels like that.

I don't really know what we should do though.  This isn't like watching college prospects where I can see their game directly, with my own eyes, and form my own opinions about them.  All of the critical work that coaches do is behind the scenes.  So, whatever.  All I know from my very limited view is that I kind of like Dan Quinn and would love to poach both him and Al Harris from the Cowboys.

Edited by Going Commando
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Why do people think we F'd up?

We cast a wide net and interviewed a bunch of different candidates. We wanted to interview candidates from Baltimore and Detroit before making any decisions, but had to wait.

We scheduled interviews with them. One of them, perceived by the fanbase and some outside media as the favorites(but NOT perceived by the FO apparently), dropped out at literally the last minute. How is that US effing up?

When a candidate ghosts us, it's because of 1 of 3 reasons: ****ty interviewers, better offer elsewhere, or we didn't meet or agree to a critical demand.

Edited by BurgundyBooger