Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

So here's a crazy thought, what if Dallas lets quinn go and then Washington offers to take Dak, and extend him for 3-4 years, for a swap of first round picks?

We do have some cap space. (I think its more likely we sign a FA like Cousins, but...all i've heard on spots radio since yesterday is that Daks no trade clause is hurting the 'teams chemistry' they can't wait to see Dak extended. and no I'm not arguing for this, at all.)

This was meant in humor.  We seem to be falling apart because our supposed top coach (told to us by 'national' personalities) tucked his tail and went back to Detroit.  The national shows the last 12 hours spent barely any time on our HC situation, apparently still enamored with the drama in Dallas, hence why I was suggesting, maybe we need a bit of perspective.  I'm sorry if it offended anyone, it was meant as levity, but got taken seriously.

Edited by Veretax
Clarification, I was joking.
  • Thumb down 11

3 minutes ago, Veretax said:

THere have been several coaches who choked in a super bowl and later won.  Note among them includes the Chiefs HC: Andy Reid

• Bill Belichick (although I doubt he takes a 2nd team to a victory just because of history)
  • Pete Carol (see Belichick)
  • Tony Dungy (Bucs then Colts)
  • JohnG ruden (Raiders then Bucs)
  • Dick Vermeil (Lost with Phily in 1980, Won in st Louis in 99)
  • Don Shula lost to the Jets, and Cowboys before winning 2 with the Dolphins.
  • Tom Landry (Lost with the Cowboys to the Colts, before winning the next year)
  • Bill Cowher lost to the Cowboys before WInning over the Mike Holmgren Seaahawks.
  • Sean McVay lost to the Chiefs before winning over the Bengals a few years later.

So let's not presume that a loss in the super bowl necessarily means no chance in the future.

This list is stupid and often wrong and I don't think you know football history at all and you are bad and should probably not post any longer because this is dumb and bad and dumb.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I am guilty of getting caught up in the Johnson hype.  Macdonald is basically the defensive version of him, as far as fielding an impressive unit.

Why is everyone so certain this is the guy?  And that Peters and Co. don’t know what they are doing if he goes elsewhere.

Speaking for myself, I got no idea if he's the guy.  I think people are just married to the idea of what profile they like the best. I like McDonald's profile but that doesn't guarantee anything of course.

Ben Johnson is a good case in point that some of our guesses might be off.  I liked his profile a lot.  I had some concerns about his personality for that spot but had deeper concerns about Slowik and said I'd overlook it.

These actions from Johnson as Sheehan said this morning -- might have been a blessing in disguise.  It showcased that some of the disclaimers about these guys might be correct. 

But that could cut both ways, we can underplay or overplay purported assets, downplay weaknesses or flat out get it wrong, etc.

I do try to get a feel for these candidates personalities but even that is of course limited.  When we meet people and spend hours with them we can get a sense of a person.  If we talk to a ton of people who know someone, we learn more.  None of that is something we have access to. 

Sheehan was talking to an NFL insider who said they are surprised this team didn't interview David Canales because he fits the criteria of a strong offensive mind AND leadership.  Earlier in this process we heard that Tepper was obsessed with Ben Johnson.  That seemed to change fast after they interviewed Canales.   My point is personality clearly counts.  And its tough for us to know that.  Easy for them to know.

The reason why I've been a little down on Slowik was hearing from multiple reporters who covered him saying he was the quiet coach when they were around the team, good guy but wondered if he was a leader of men.  Then Slowik interviewed with Carolina and Tennessee and didn't get either job and they hired different offensive coordinators.  Peters you figure knows a lot about Slowik.  They interviewed him twice but according to the reporters he was not the name they were hearing they are heavily considering.  Ditto in Seattle, etc.  So there might be something to the personality-not a leader of men narrative.  But still I'd have no idea for sure because I am not in these interviews and know for sure.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

But, again, I was hoping for something that felt "triumphant" out of this process. Presenting the defensive coordinator of out biggest rival who was de-pantsed on national tv three weeks ago is not the triumph I wanted. It just feels like a White Elephant party and we ended up with the soap someone bought at Target.

Yeah the analogy I used is: imagine you're a Death Row inmate wrongly convicted of murder. Well just when you thought it was all over, new evidence comes out and not only are you released from prison, but you're given $10 Mil as compensation. BUT...you have to live in like Milwaukee or Des Moines. Those cities are....fine. But wouldn't you rather live in San Diego or South Beach?

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Gruden beat the Raiders with the Bucs, he wasn't the HC of the Raiders.

Also, most of those guys lost a Super Bowl before winning one later with their same team. They weren't retreads.

The retreads that lost with their original team and then won with a new team: Bellicheck, Carroll, Dungy, Vermeil, and Reid.

Three defensive guys, two offensive guys FWIW. But all of them ended up with HOF caliber QBs on their 2nd team: Brady, Wilson, Manning, Warner, and Mahomes.

So I guess, if Drake Maye or Jayden Daniels are THAT good, then we can win with a defensive coach....

Yeah I just looked up and didn't realize Glenn was over 50. Yeesh. Nevermind on him then.

Weaver is my pick now.

Good catch there I must have misread an article that suggested he did, but I guess he was OC there.

2 minutes ago, Veretax said:

So here's a crazy thought, what if Dallas lets quinn go and then Washington offers to take Dak, and extend him for 3-4 years, for a swap of first round picks?

We do have some cap space. (I think its more likely we sign a FA like Cousins, but...all i've heard on spots radio since yesterday is that Daks no trade clause is hurting the 'teams chemistry' they can't wait to see Dak extended. and no I'm not arguing for this, at all.)

.....No

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Veretax said:

Hard pass.

• Like 5

Just now, Veretax said:

You know, that last post was a joke.

You are bad and this is dumb and you shouldn't post any longer. I now mean every word.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'd take Weaver or Glenn over Quinn. If we're gonna go defensive lets swing for a young up and comer and go for a home run hit.

Would fit the mold of head coaches who have never been a coordinator I guess. 

Yeah the analogy I used is: imagine you're a Death Row inmate wrongly convicted of murder. Well just when you thought it was all over, new evidence comes out and not only are you released from prison, but you're given $10 Mil as compensation. BUT...you have to live in like Milwaukee or Des Moines. Those cities are....fine. But wouldn't you rather live in San Diego or South Beach?

Both of those are underrated great midwest cities btw... blessing in disguise? 

Gruden beat the Raiders with the Bucs, he wasn't the HC of the Raiders.

Also, most of those guys lost a Super Bowl before winning one later with their same team. They weren't retreads.

The retreads that lost with their original team and then won with a new team: Bellicheck, Carroll, Dungy, Vermeil, and Reid.

Three defensive guys, two offensive guys FWIW. But all of them ended up with HOF caliber QBs on their 2nd team: Brady, Wilson, Manning, Warner, and Mahomes.

So I guess, if Drake Maye or Jayden Daniels are THAT good, then we can win with a defensive coach....

B.B. would have gone to a SB with Cleveland if Byner had not fumbled at the goal line with it looked up. 

• Haha 1

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

Apparently Weaver is next in line to be Baltimore's DC if Macdonald leaves.  It would feel like we're getting the consolation prize after Macdonald chooses Seattle, but I think I'd still prefer him over Quinn.

Weaver has the "Assistant Head Coach" title though. He got it last year

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

This list is stupid and often wrong and I don't think you know football history at all and you are bad and should probably not post any longer because this is dumb and bad and dumb.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Bowl_head_coaches

I took those names mostly from this list and the article I saw from Reid I mis read while skimming the bit on Gruden here's what actually happened.
https://www.deseret.com/sports/2021/2/3/22262460/andy-reid-among-distinguished-group-of-fired-coaches-who-landed-future-teams-in-the-super-bowl
"Let’s study the Raiders’ dealings with coaches as an example of foolishness. They hired Jon Gruden as their head coach in 1998. In four seasons he had a won-loss record of 38-26 and in his third and fourth seasons he took the Raiders to the playoffs, including the conference championships in 2000. So what do the Raiders do? They traded him to the Buccaneers for two first-round draft picks, two second-round draft picks and $8 million."

I don't know WHY i thought he was the raiders HC in the SUper Bowl, I completely forgot about Calahan even though it was there in the wiki article I was looking at after I read the first article. It was an honest mistake, you guys should show more grace. My point is, not every loser makes it back to the Super Bowl, but a few special ones do and win, and so I'm not prepared to rull out Quinn just because of that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skinsfan66 said:

B.B. would have gone to a SB with Cleveland if Byner had not fumbled at the goal line with it looked up. 

Pretty sure BB was Defensive coordinator for the Giants then, the 1987 season. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Command The 414 said:

Exactly, glad we found out today then to have hired him and he not be the right fit… imho at this level you aspire to be a HC… and there are only 32 of these jobs available… and several of them are tied up till their HC wants out… Reid, John Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin just to name a few… Johnson might not be a leader of men the way this FO wants… and good he made the choice for us 

Sounds like Johnson played it pretty poorly across the board, he didn't even get a raise out of it like Slowik did in Houston. At least that's what's being reported. 

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Apparently Weaver is next in line to be Baltimore's DC if Macdonald leaves.  It would feel like we're getting the consolation prize after Macdonald chooses Seattle, but I think I'd still prefer him over Quinn.

Exactly so if Washington really wants to hire Weaver they must act now because I would expect him to take over the D there. He also has Asst. HC in Baltimore too. 

Just now, Veretax said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Bowl_head_coaches

I took those names mostly from this list and the article I saw from Reid I mis read while skimming the bit on Gruden here's what actually happened.
https://www.deseret.com/sports/2021/2/3/22262460/andy-reid-among-distinguished-group-of-fired-coaches-who-landed-future-teams-in-the-super-bowl
"Let’s study the Raiders’ dealings with coaches as an example of foolishness. They hired Jon Gruden as their head coach in 1998. In four seasons he had a won-loss record of 38-26 and in his third and fourth seasons he took the Raiders to the playoffs, including the conference championships in 2000. So what do the Raiders do? They traded him to the Buccaneers for two first-round draft picks, two second-round draft picks and $8 million."

I don't know WHY i thought he was the raiders HC in the SUper Bowl, I completely forgot about Calahan even though it was there in the wiki article I was looking at after I read the first article. It was an honest mistake, you guys should show more grace. My point is, not every loser makes it back to the Super Bowl, but a few special ones do and win, and so I'm not prepared to rull out Quinn just because of that.

You're a bad person.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

You know, that last post was a joke.

You are bad and this is dumb and you shouldn't post any longer. I now mean every word.

My post was also a Joke.  Some of you are so bound up in your Dan Quinn hate that you need to loosen up and breathe, it will be better for your health. I don't see any reason at all that we'd try to acquire Dak.  But I wouldn't put past this FO trading for someone else or signing a FA.  None of that matters until you know who the HC and OC is though. Be patient folks.

Just now, Veretax said:

My post was also a Joke.  Some of you are so bound up in your Dan Quinn hate that you need to loosen up and breathe, it will be better for your health. I don't see any reason at all that we'd try to acquire Dak.  But I wouldn't put past this FO trading for someone else or signing a FA.  None of that matters until you know who the HC and OC is though. Be patient folks.

You are a bad person.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Speaking for myself, I got no idea if he's the guy.  I think people are just married to the idea of what profile they like the best. I like McDonald's profile but that doesn't guarantee anything of course.

Same here.

I guess my main point is that folks who were rightfully so happy about bringing in Peters now have zero faith in him apparently.  I don’t blindly put faith in anyone but I have to respect his opinion infinitely more than that of my own.

• Like 2