Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

25 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The problem is there are no good assistants left. Were gonna be stuck with crap

You can always elevate people.  They're gonna need to have some vision and an eye for coaching talent.

Just now, KDawg said:

Whoever is hired will be followed by a blizzard of "I trust the new regime" even if the people saying it really don't. The cope is going to be very strong.

Some people, a very select few, will be genuinely jazzed about a Quinn hire. I won't be counted among them. But hell, maybe he works out and he becomes my favorite coach for this franchise of all time not named Gibbs. But I'm not going to look at the hire and say, "YES! THIS REGIME RULES!"

We will also continue to hear that Johnson wasn't a great candidate anyways and we didn't want or need him.

We'll be looking for a new coach in 3 years after Quinn's stellar tenure comes to an end.

2024 - 6-11

2025 - 8-9

2026 - 2-6

This is the most predictable thing that could possibly happen. 

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The problem is there are no good assistants left. Were gonna be stuck with crap

That’s not the case, part of this interview process is pitching the coaching staff they can bring with them. And these guys have been on our list from the jump and have answers to this question who haven’t taken other jobs. They get agreements from their guys.

I know it doesn’t feel good to see other staffs getting filled out earlier but most of those guys are nobody and will be looking for jobs again in 3-4 years. Whoever was part of our candidates’ pitch to get this job is still out there. 

Edited by Conn

Just now, spjunkies said:

We'll be looking for a new coach in 3 years after Quinn's stellar tenure comes to an end.

2024 - 6-11

2025 - 8-9

2026 - 2-6

This is the most predictable thing that could possibly happen. 

Yes. No good coach ever starts 0-5 it’s a bad stain on a coaches record, imo we should have tried harder to get Harbaugh.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

Yes, Quinn is loved by Dallas players. And they rewarded him by embarrassing the whole organization on wildcard weekend. Players love Jerry too. Jerry World is a circus, and spoiled players like being pampered. As for Quinn's supposed top defense, what are his numbers in 2023 against winning teams outside of our dumpster fire division. Eagles imploded and were exposed; New York is trash; and our team made every coordinator look brilliant. That's 1/3 of the schedule favoring Quinn's statistics. How did he do against Buffalo? The 49ers? The Packers? Quinn is not the guy!

He didnt help them as much as the reverse. They were not put in the best positions by their coach. Quinn called a terrible game on defense.

11 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

It's not really though is it, you and I both know Dallas has studs on the D side of the ball and that expectations were high coming into the season.

While I don't wish to completely disregard Quinn as a coach, he clearly does have good attributes and can point to certain successes and I'd fully accept and give him credit where it's due.

But the facts remain, he's a .500 HC and that was with an established QB in Matt Ryan, and I'd say he's probably met expectations of that defence in Dallas which has studs on it. Hiring him to a position with no established QB 1, minimal defensive talent and tasking him with rebuilding the franchise because he's a 'good guy' or a 'good leader' just boggles my mind. That leadership still has to be married with a high level of ability of which I think he's been proven to be mediocre.

But third? Based on what? They had a lot of those same horses three years ago and their defense was hot garbage. "They have a lot of horses" is still wildly arbitrary.

I am not thrilled with Quinn, but I am not dismissing him entirely like a 2nd Rivera, but a lot of coaches come in and are more successful in their second stint. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

Aaron Glenn - For me a pre requisite of getting this job should be that the candidate is at least absolutely nailing their current coordinator role. Glenns Defence ranked 19th overall on the season. I'm sure everything we read about his leadership qualities are true but if he's going to trot out mediocre defence he will be on the hot seat sooner rather than later.

All the talent is on the offense.  They got Hutchinson, but Okudah didn't work out and there's not much else. 

Just now, TheBlueIndian said:

This fan base is shell shocked. 

The sky is falling routine is the old way of thinking.  Have a little faith and trust that adults are handling things now. 

Feel like our fan base is suffering from collective PTSD.  We’re also used to winning the offseason.   I personally wasn’t sold on Ben for a few reasons, but I get the disappointment. 

That said, while Quinn would be a solid, safe hire, it does feel like to me we’d be settling. We keep hearing how attractive this job is now, and this is the best we can do?  You can argue Quinn was good in Atlanta, but he wasn’t great.

39 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m in this weird spot where I feel like I should be grateful considering all we’ve been through.  To get rid of Dan, hire a guy like Peters, have the #2 pick and a ton of cap space is really fairy-tale like.  Adding a brilliant offensive mind to develop the QB we select at 2 just felt so right and in alignment with all of that.

While I feel like we dodged a bullet, because Johnson clearly isn’t head coach material- I still can’t help but feel negative because of where we sit now.  I’m not even of the mindset that Quinn is Ron 2.  I really like a lot of what I’ve read about Quinn and who he is as a man and coach.  As much as a lot of you don’t want to hear it, he is highly regarded by former and current players.  What I think separates him from many retreads is his own acknowledgment of where he went wrong in his first stint and how he was going to learn from that.  Most coaches ego won’t allow them to be that honest with themselves.  

But at the end of the day, we are still getting stuck with scraps right now from an overall staff standpoint and the thought of drafting a QB without an elite coach to develop said QB is enough that it’s just hard for me to be thankful about how fortunate we’ve been over the last year to rid ourselves of Dan and Ron.  It’s not fair to HOG and Peter’s, but I just can’t shake it.

Like I posted above, I don’t agree with the scraps part in regards to staffing. But I agree with the rest. Feels like a bizarre bump in the road right after reaching said road in the light at the end of the tunnel. I’m getting greedy but I thought we were getting it all after the rest went so perfectly. 

What’s funny is other than Raheem (who 95% of this board didn’t want) and Slowik (who seemingly never had a chance to be the guy despite having the closest connection to our new GM, implying he’s not currently qualified) all of our top options who we’ve always intended on interviewing twice are still on the table. 

Macdonald is the guy who could quiet all this, because he was obviously THE top defensive guy on the market so at least in that direction you’re making a bold move for a non-retread.

But in retrospect it doesn’t feel good to me that we didn’t think it was a fit to interview guys like Canales and Callahan. 

I hope they’re right about placing top value on just pure leadership in the locker room, and that if it’s someone like Quinn he can at least build a rockstar staff due to his relationships in the league. I never remember hearing that Quinn was this loved when he was in ATL and it was the young hotshot Shanahan show leading their studly offense. 

Anyways, all that to say I’m not concerned we’ve been left behind in staffing because our candidates have had their staff semi-fleshed out via honor system this whole time, and their staffs are part of their pitch to the search committee. But I’m like you in that I can’t help but think despite all we have to be grateful for, we haven’t quite stuck the landing like we all assumed we would.

Edited by Conn
  • Like 3

On Quinn if that's who they hire.

Some think these two points are incompatible

A. Trust Peters.  It's Peters driving this decision along with Myers and Spielman not Harris from what I've gathered.

B.  Quinn isn't who we want as a HC.

It's classic cognitive dissonance 101.  A zillion studies on this.  :ols:

Nothing weird about trusting A and allowing some trust on B if it unfolds that way because you trust A.  That's how if often works in life.  It doesn't make anyone a weirdo.

And if we are going to stick with the textbook definition.  Those who mock that it will go down that way -- likely truly don't trust A -- simple as that. 

I don't want Quinn.  I trust Peters.  Peters knows a heck of a lot more about Quinn than i do.   If that's what they do, I'll ride with it.  Just in general, I usually give first year coaches my trust.  Zorn was the exception.  I complained about Jay too in year 1 but didn't think he should be fired.   If they hire Quinn, I'll just assume there might be something to all the praise Quinn gets league wide versus me having a better feel for it from my couch -- considering Myers and Peters built successful teams in the past and I've not. 

giphy.gif

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Did I miss the sarcasm in your post?

Why are facts sarcasm? Quinn went 0-5 in 2020 after 5 seasons with the falcons I don't think that's a good sign of a good coach yeah he had his run to the super bowl where Matt Ryan played lights out but I don't think it was Quinns schemes or anything that got them there. Kyle Shanahan. 

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Quinn is…fine. But hed be such a disappointment after finally getting rid of Snyder and landing Peters as Gm. Its like getting out of jail with $10 Mil but finding out you have to live in Milwaukee. 

I'm actually warming up to Quinn.  Some thoughts came into mind?  WHo is more responsible for Dallas's ineptitude?  Is it QUinn? Is it McCarthy?  Or is it Jerrah? 

We all KNOW its Jerrah.  The fact that so many pointed out how few actual linebackers they had and mulitple DB sets against GB a team that could run a little, it was obviously a flawed way to build a team, and yet look at how good they were at times, other than Diggs, Parsons and some Vets on their D Line, name one other real name player on that Defense?  

So if you fix the OL just enough, and invest heavily into the Defense in the next two years, imagine what he could do, alongside his chosen DC?

I still prefer MacDonald but they are 2a and 2b for me now that Johnson and Raheem are out of the picture.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheBlueIndian said:

This fan base is shell shocked. 

The sky is falling routine is the old way of thinking.  Have a little faith and trust that adults are handling things now. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6E5bA42XTqorv9TyqtER

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Buddha said:

Just throwing this out there and not advocating for it.  At this point, would you rather have Dan Quinn for free or call the Steelers to see what it would take to get Mike Tomlin?

Tomlin for a third rounder please. 

• Thumb up 1

Just now, Buddha said:

Just throwing this out there and not advocating for it.  At this point, would you rather have Dan Quinn for free or call the Steelers to see what it would take to get Mike Tomlin?

It would take way too much imo for a team without a QB, Tomlin is a good coach. But sure id call them up and see what it takes.

2 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Why are facts sarcasm? Quinn went 0-5 in 2020 after 5 seasons with the falcons I don't think that's a good sign of a good coach yeah he had his run to the super bowl where Matt Ryan played lights out but I don't think it was Quinns schemes or anything that got them there. Kyle Shanahan. 

Joe Gibbs started 0-5 in his fist season. I'd have to say that things turned out pretty good in the long run.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Because Quinn is a solid hire.

He's just not a sexy hire.

I hope he is, but every bit in me says not great. His HC record screams mediocre and is barely above .500 at 43-42 during his six seasons in Atlanta. He is a good coordinator. That's likely it.

Edited by Professor_Nutter_Butter