Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

3 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

We got horses in the WR room, that is for sure.

EB just could not scheme up a way to let them run.

Gonna have to likely replace Samuel now tho. Gonna need a 4.3 guy to keep that WR team speed up.

Would be great if he also had some size and good with contested catches 

Luckily there are a number of this type WR in the draft and FA

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

We got horses in the WR room, that is for sure.

EB just could not scheme up a way to let them run.

Gonna have to likely replace Samuel now tho. Gonna need a 4.3 guy to keep that WR team speed up.

Here you go, his nickname is "Cheetah", in terms of speed he is compared to Tyreek Hill

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

So I'm just looking at this, and not saying its likely but in 2020 the Vikings had 15 picks in the NFL draft giving them the most picks in the NFL draft since the draft was limited to 7 rounds. 

In 2016, the Browns had 14 picks. 

Who did the Vikings draft in 2020? 

1.22 - Justin Jefferson (WR)

1.31 - Jeff Gladney(CB)

2.58 - Ezra Cleveland (T)

3.89 - Cameron Dantzier (CB)

4.117 - James Lynch (DE)

4.132 - Troy Dye (LB)

5.169 - Harrison Hand (CB)

5.176 - KJ Osborn (WR)

6.203 - Blake Brandel (T)

6.205 - Josh Metellus (S)

7.225 - Kenny Willekes (DE)

7.244 - Nate Stanley (QB)

7.249 - Brian Cole II (S)

7.253 - Kyle Hinton (G)

Ten of those 15 players are still playing. 

That Browns draft wasn't as good. The second round pick looks decent, and the 5th round pick Rashard Higgins is a good pick. 

What does this mean? Nothing really, but I'm thinking about the idea of trading back and what kind of value we can get. We currently have 9 picks. 1 first, 2 seconds, 2 thirds, 1, 4th, 1 5th, 1 6th, 1 7th.

Trading back can get us what? 3 or 4 more picks. That can be cool if it can get us more of a top heavy draft like Minnesota's was where they had more hits. But if we start having more 6th and 7th rounders, those are where the special teamers come from. Do we need a dozen of those picks? I think we're better off taking the elite talent and signing the premier UDFAs. 

Is anyone starting a welcome to Washington thread for Adam peters?  I can do it later but there are a few that do it well.  It’s nice to have a dedicated thread for each person like that. Just wondering.  Again I can do it later but some are used to creating those threads.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

So I'm just looking at this, and not saying its likely but in 2020 the Vikings had 15 picks in the NFL draft giving them the most picks in the NFL draft since the draft was limited to 7 rounds. 

1.31 - Jeff Gladney(CB)

4.117 - James Lynch (DE)

4.132 - Troy Dye (LB)

5.176 - KJ Osborn (WR)

7.253 - Kyle Hinton (G)

That Browns draft wasn't as good. The second round pick looks decent, and the 5th round pick Rashard Higgins is a good pick. 

What does this mean? Nothing really, but I'm thinking about the idea of trading back and what kind of value we can get. We currently have 9 picks. 1 first, 2 seconds, 2 thirds, 1, 4th, 1 5th, 1 6th, 1 7th.

Trading back can get us what? 3 or 4 more picks. That can be cool if it can get us more of a top heavy draft like Minnesota's was where they had more hits. But if we start having more 6th and 7th rounders, those are where the special teamers come from. Do we need a dozen of those picks? I think we're better off taking the elite talent and signing the premier UDFAs. 

Check out the Rams draft last season. 14 total picks. A big reason they had the surprise bounce back season, was from getting many Day 1 contributors. They nailed the draft. They had an extra 3rd from trading Jalen Ramsey, and extra 7th from trading Brockers (a few seasons back), lost the 1st from trading for Stafford. But here are some of the moves they made:

Apr 28, 2023: Rams traded 2023 3rd round pick (69th overall, Tank Dell) to Texans for 2023 3rd round pick (73rd overall subsequently traded , Jalin Hyatt) and 2023 5th round pick (161st overall, Nick Hampton)

Apr 28, 2023: Rams traded 2023 3rd round pick (73rd overall, Jalin Hyatt) to Giants for 2023 3rd round pick (89th overall, Kobie Turner) and 2023 4th round pick (128th overall, Stetson Bennett)

Apr 29, 2023: Rams traded 2023 5th round pick (167th overall, Henry To'oTo'o) to Texans for 2023 5th round pick (174th overall, Warren McClendon) and 2023 7th round pick (259th overall, Desjuan Johnson)

Apr 29, 2023: Rams traded 2023 5th round pick (171st overall, Payne Durham) to Buccaneers for 2023 5th round pick (175th overall, Davis Allen) and 2023 7th round pick (252nd overall subsequently traded , Alex Austin)

This netted them +4 picks. A 4th, 5th,7th, and another 7th. They also drafted 4 starters (one of whom is in the above batch), it can argued with that many picks you can reach on a few oddballs. I guess if you include the Punter, then that's 5 starters. Besides the phenom WR Puka Nacua, they drafted a starting LG, starting DE (8 sacks), and a starting DT (9 sacks).

I'd probably be down with trading back from 1 of our early 2nd's, maybe both if the board looks OK. I would however like some 2025 picks thrown into the mix though.

Edited by Always A Commander Never A Captain
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Check out the Rams draft last season. 14 total picks. A big reason they had the surprise bounce back season, was from getting many Day 1 contributors. They nailed the draft. They had an extra 3rd from trading Jalen Ramsey, and extra 7th from trading Brockers (a few seasons back), lost the 1st from trading for Stafford. But here are some of the moves they made:

Apr 28, 2023: Rams traded 2023 3rd round pick (69th overall, Tank Dell) to Texans for 2023 3rd round pick (73rd overall subsequently traded , Jalin Hyatt) and 2023 5th round pick (161st overall, Nick Hampton)

Apr 28, 2023: Rams traded 2023 3rd round pick (73rd overall, Jalin Hyatt) to Giants for 2023 3rd round pick (89th overall, Kobie Turner) and 2023 4th round pick (128th overall, Stetson Bennett)

Apr 29, 2023: Rams traded 2023 5th round pick (167th overall, Henry To'oTo'o) to Texans for 2023 5th round pick (174th overall, Warren McClendon) and 2023 7th round pick (259th overall, Desjuan Johnson)

Apr 29, 2023: Rams traded 2023 5th round pick (171st overall, Payne Durham) to Buccaneers for 2023 5th round pick (175th overall, Davis Allen) and 2023 7th round pick (252nd overall subsequently traded , Alex Austin)

This netted them +4 picks. A 4th, 5th,7th, and another 7th.

They also drafted 4 starters (one of whom is in the above batch), it can argued with that many picks you can reach on a few oddballs. I guess if you include the Punter, then that's 5 starters.

Besides the phenom WR Puka Nacua, they drafted a starting LG, starting DE (8 sacks), and a starting DT (9 sacks).

Indy had 13 and it led them to 9 wins, found a WR in the 3rd, an OL in the 4th and a TE in the 5th and a DB in the 7th. 

GB had 13 and it led them to 9 wins, found a WR and a TE in the second, another TE in the 3rd, another WR in the 5th, and two DBs in the 7th. 

Jax had 13 and it led to 9 wins, found them a OL, but otherwise looks like they either didn't play or weren't good. 

SF had 9 in 2023, 9 in 2022, 8 in 2021, 5 in 2020, 8 in 2019, 9 in 2018 and 10 in 2017

So that's an idea of Peters's draft strategy on trading back (though it was not really his decision) but he has had 10 picks only once. 

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

Would be great if he also had some size and good with contested catches 

Luckily there are a number of this type WR in the draft and FA

Good draft if you want a physical X type receiver. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

50 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I think QB at 2 is still pretty likely.  I guess the team could surprise us, but I'm sticking with that for now.

I could see the higher 2nd pick having a QB that teams 10ish spots back would want to trade up.  I think something like 2 (36) for 2 (~46) and a 3rd or 4th/5th would still put Commanders in decent place for 2nd round.  4th rounder to start day 3 is the 2nd pick, so more time to work out trades and could probably add 1/2 picks in the 5-7 round range.  I think we'll see at least a little movement and have more than 9 total drafted players when it's all said and done, but I don't think it'll be using the overall #2.  

I would be curious the approach on future picks.  I don't know how much Peters teams went in that direction and will be curious if we'll see more of that now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

1.31 - Jeff Gladney(CB)

4.117 - James Lynch (DE)

4.132 - Troy Dye (LB)

5.176 - KJ Osborn (WR)

7.253 - Kyle Hinton (G)

We are taking a QB at #2. Highly likely Maye.

Chuck Pagano on the Pat McAfee Show just raving about how important it is for GM and HC to be on the same page and in alignment and that is the reason why Detroit is so successful.

Hoping for that same synergy and connection here. Whether its Johnson, Slowik, or whomever.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

I'll be looking for Nicki Jhabvala's post here on out. She knows Adam Peters well from being in Denver when he was there.  She is a good source at this time.  Very positive words coming from Ben Johnson.  Do you think Ben Johnson is going to be our new HC?  I would say MUCH more on that to come!  :) 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Man, what a long shot trifecta payout if we were able to land Peters, Johnson and Drake Maye.

I'd say two of that long shot trifecta are spot on.  Horse #1 (Adam Peters), Horse #2 (Ben Johnson). Horse #3 (Drake Maye depends on who GM and HC come to agreement with but I hope it's Maye). :) 

• Like 1