Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

7 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

Yeah I guess I could see it that way but then again the lions have drafted well, and Jared Goff is a very very good QB and up till having the pieces in place and let’s not forget their OL is head and shoulders above many teams around the league I kinda think Johnson has succeeded due to all of that arranging… whereas here it’s a complete rebuild with a rookie QB and many other pieces… except for Terry McLaurin, Sam Cosmi, Jahan Dotson and Brian Robinson the entire Offense might be different…. Whereas I see  Slowik having experience, dealing with new people, players, and a rookie quarterback, as he did this past season with Houston.. just my opinion though… I might be just looking at it from a standpoint of glass, half empty instead of glass, half full 

I think they're both good candidates.

The debate seems to be making excuses for both coaches in both directions depending on which way you're leaning. 

Both slowick and johnson have excellent supporting casts and nobody knows how much gibbs/st brown/sewell/goff etc,  or stroud/collins/dell/tunsil etc owe their succes to their coordinators.

I'll be happy either way but I lean towards Johnson because he has more experience as a position coach and his chops seem to be a little more well known.

Slowick has only been a position coach one year and hasn't firmly established himself as a premier up and coming talent but he's certainly making an impression. 

• Thumb up 1

On 1/13/2024 at 3:23 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

I'm extremely skeptical. Extremely. But it does illustrate the transformative power of elite quarterbacking. It also illustrates the benefits of getting 6 teams against absolute dog manure sides in your division (see Tampa in the NFC South as well). I think part of Houston's implosion was just the Watson sex scandal incinerating the franchise, but the team fell apart too. I just think this is a 2-3 year build if we get things right, every positional cohort either sucks or is middling and aging. Otoh, Houston's weren't great either. 

From Peter King’s column:

Coach of the Week

Bobby Slowik, offensive coordinator, Houston. What a game Slowik, the 36-year-old play-calling wunderkind, designed and orchestrated for the Texans. Slowik’s plan led to 286 yards and three TD passes in the first half against the stingy Browns. And Slowik got his receivers so open. Per Next Gen Stats, eight of C.J. Stroud’s 21 passes were targeted to receivers who had at least five yards of separation from the nearest defender—and this wasn’t any burnt-toast defense Slowik was plotting against. This was the top-ranked Browns D, and Stroud shredded it from the start. “A genius gameplan,” backup Houston QB Case Keenum said. “Bobby did a great job of setting guys to get in space while making sure C.J. was protected against the game-wreckers they have on defense.”

Also from same article:

Slowik came from San Francisco, where he was Kyle Shanahan’s passing game coordinator last season. As Shanahan does, he prides himself in giving his quarterback solutions on every pass call. When the year started, Slowik would show his players clips from pass plays of the 49ers. “But now,” Keenum said, “it’s more and more Texans plays. He showed a bunch from our last drive at Indianapolis last week. That’s a confidence-builder right there.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/fmia/news/nfl-wild-card-playoffs-detroit-lions-dan-campbell-cj-stroud-peter-king-fmia?cid=fmiatw

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

From Peter King’s column:

Coach of the Week

Bobby Slowik, offensive coordinator, Houston. What a game Slowik, the 36-year-old play-calling wunderkind, designed and orchestrated for the Texans. Slowik’s plan led to 286 yards and three TD passes in the first half against the stingy Browns. And Slowik got his receivers so open. Per Next Gen Stats, eight of C.J. Stroud’s 21 passes were targeted to receivers who had at least five yards of separation from the nearest defender—and this wasn’t any burnt-toast defense Slowik was plotting against. This was the top-ranked Browns D, and Stroud shredded it from the start. “A genius gameplan,” backup Houston QB Case Keenum said. “Bobby did a great job of setting guys to get in space while making sure C.J. was protected against the game-wreckers they have on defense.”

Also from same article:

Slowik came from San Francisco, where he was Kyle Shanahan’s passing game coordinator last season. As Shanahan does, he prides himself in giving his quarterback solutions on every pass call. When the year started, Slowik would show his players clips from pass plays of the 49ers. “But now,” Keenum said, “it’s more and more Texans plays. He showed a bunch from our last drive at Indianapolis last week. That’s a confidence-builder right there.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/fmia/news/nfl-wild-card-playoffs-detroit-lions-dan-campbell-cj-stroud-peter-king-fmia?cid=fmiatw

That is the thing I love most about the Shanahan system, the spacing. It makes it so easy for a rookie QB when you have players constantly running wide open like this:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

apocalypse-now-marlon-brando.gif

I feel like D. is going to knock Slowik down, and probably elevate Morris and Quinn? Total speculation--this interview process is going to be very interesting.

Yeah just based on reputations as to what I've read about all of them and I had to quantify their reps on leadership based on spice.

1. Raheem Morris.  Very spicy

2.  A. Glenn spicy

3.  Quinn spicy

4. Johnson medium

5.  McDonald Mild to medium

6. Slowik mild

Personally, leadership isn't my #1 thing but its still a solid #2.  Listening to Keim, and I am extrapolating this part, I get the vibe that its really important to have a tone setter type as a coach who will help reframe the organization as a winning one.  Keim talked about how winning organizations do everything right, right down to have a top video editor.  And Gibbs among his other assets read people really well and found top assistant coaches that was one of his superpowers.

But yeah if Keim is on the mark the person who hits me the most is Raheem Morris.

Keim also said don't live with a recency effect on these guys.  They care about the whole body of work.  He talked about McVay's last two games here were among his worst but the Rams hired him anyway.  Keim didn't say this part but I took it as don't rule out Quinn based on the bad game yesterday.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Starry Plough said:

Is Adam Stenavich amongst the initial candidate interviews and if so are there any opinions on him - not just on the back of GB’s beat down of Dallas last night? 

Exactly, here’s a guy nobody has heard of that could very well be a Diamond in the making… I must confess I figured reading your post he was the OC of the Pack but his journey is impressive and maybe not this go around but next season we might be hearing his name a lot…

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

Two men off our list that I think of as leaders of men, MacDonald and Johnson.  I say this because look at what MacDonald has done with his D and look at how Campbell leads that team and watching vids on Johnson it has rubbed off on him.  @RabidFan I know you're not liking the phrase, "leaders of men" but hey Keim used it so... LOL.  

McDonald I don't get a strong picture about his personality one way or another when I've read about him.

7 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

Exactly, here’s a guy nobody has heard of that could very well be a Diamond in the making… I must confess I figured reading your post he was the OC of the Pack but his journey is impressive and maybe not this go around but next season we might be hearing his name a lot…

Pretty sure he is OC in GB, no? I agree though his journey is intriguing with a year long stint in San Fran the year Kyle was hired there. You could be right then it’s possibly a year too soon for him, but maybe one to keep an eye on for some team a year from now.  

7 minutes ago, RWJ said:

That was such a juicy play design. They send big trips to the right and you could tell the Rams were so concerned they were going left with either Gibbs or the tackle eligible. They get good spacing on the right. Masterful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

My only point was that Goff didn't suck. I don't know where the rest of this came from. My original post didn't even mention Johnson it was specifically about the narrative that Goff was so terrible before.

Its that I've seen multiple posts where you are downplaying Johnson. It give me the vibe you aren't that into him. 

20 minutes ago, Starry Plough said:

Is Adam Stenavich amongst the initial candidate interviews and if so are there any opinions on him - not just on the back of GB’s beat down of Dallas last night? 

He doesn't call plays. He has the OC title but LaFleur calls the plays so that is going to hold him back from head coaching opportunities the same way it held EB back in KC (and Frank Smith potentially in Miami)

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Its that I've seen multiple posts where you are downplaying Johnson. It give me the vibe you aren't that into him. 

He did have a 39.8 QBR under Anthony Lynn, so that's objectively terrible.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ThatNFLChick said:

He doesn't call plays. He has the OC title but LaFleur calls the plays so that is going to hold him back from head coaching opportunities the same way it held EB back in KC (and Frank Smith potentially in Miami)

Ahhh gotcha. Also didn’t realise that about Frank Smith. 😄

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Hate to say it but Rooney Rule. 

I thought Rooney rule was about interviewing minority candidates outside the team.

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

McDonald I don't get a strong picture about his personality one way or another when I've read about him.

Let me know if this helps a bit.  Just click on "Watch on Youtube".  

2 minutes ago, FrFan said:

I thought Rooney rule was about interviewing minority candidates outside the team.

Don't know if this is outdated but:  

Clubs must conduct an in-person interview with at least one external minority candidate for any GM or head coaching interview.

The Rooney Rule | NFL Football Operations