Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, ThatNFLChick said:

John Keim said something interesting - he talked about how he heard Magic Johnson is a huge part of the interview process for head coaches because while Josh Harris and those guys can talk about structure, Magic knows more about the locker room culture and what guys in the locker rooms actually need in a leader.

Another thought is how much influence will Irving Johnson have with the Commanders. From an article and a statement taken from it below: www.si.com/nfl/commanders/news/magic-johnson-commanders-ownership-role-reveal-vision-washington-fan-base-sale

"What is Magic Johnson's job going to be? Connecting. Courting. Electrifying - you"

• Like 2

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

No. They'll be around thought he coaching hire, I believe. I think Myers is going to stay on as an advisor past that too.

The head coach is going to be hired by the advisory committee, which Peters is now a very big part of.  Heck, he might even be the deciding vote.  However, what I love is there will be a lot of ears in the room, opinions to share, questions asked, and then they can pick the guy they're most comfortable with to fit in the structure and work with Peters, hopefully in lockstep to build the roster and the team.  

This is so much better than Dan and Bruce/Vinny throwing darts at a wall from a yacht.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Can we cut this narrative that Goff was trash with the Rams? He had two down seasons in LA where he threw more picks than he should have for sure but this narrative is just false.

His best season is STILL his 2018 season with the Rams. The most TDs he has ever had in a season, the most yards he has thrown for was 2018 in LA (and he did it with 1 less game)

2017 with Rams - 28 TDs, 7 INTs (15 games)

2018 with Rams - 32 TDs, 12 INTs (16 games)

2019 with Rams - 22 TDs, 16 INTs (16 games)

2020 witn Rams - 20 TDs, 13 INTs (15 games)

2021 with Lions - 19 TDs, 8 INTs (14 games)

2022 with Lions - 29 TDs, 7 INTs (17 games)

2023 with Lions - 30 TDs, 12 INTs (17 games)

In his own words, he was a broken man when he was traded. He’s on a team that has Super Bowl aspirations. Hears that they are a QB away. Gets traded and watches them win it all the first year he was gone.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim’s podcast today.

A. No runaway favorite for the job 

B. He mentioned again what if Ben Johnson is offered some control elsewhere. I am guessing someone is telling Keim something like that because even when he’s vague he rarely mentions things just purely theoretically 

C. He complemented every coaching prospect that they are considering 

D. He said he knows leadership is the number one criteria for them and it’s more important then play calling 

E. Defensive minded coaches are on their list too and again they want leaders of men above all

F, coaching interviews will happen virtually this week starting tomorrow 

Two men off our list that I think of as leaders of men, MacDonald and Johnson.  I say this because look at what MacDonald has done with his D and look at how Campbell leads that team and watching vids on Johnson it has rubbed off on him.  @RabidFan I know you're not liking the phrase, "leaders of men" but hey Keim used it so... LOL.  

1 minute ago, Ball Security said:

In his own words, he was a broken man when he was traded. He’s on a team that has Super Bowl aspirations. Hears that they are a QB away. Gets traded and watches them win it all the first year he was gone.

It's odd how it fell apart from Goff in LA with McVay.  It would be really a cool story if both he and Stafford both got SBs out of that trade. Sometimes, it's just making sure you're in the right situation.  Stafford clearly was the right guy for the Rams to put them over the edge.  Now Goff might be the right guy for the Lions.  

Ironic Goff got to a SB with the Rams too.  If the Lions get to a SB with Goff, he'd join a REALLY short list of QBs who have gotten to the SB with multiple teams.  Off the top of my head, I can think of 2: Kurt Warner and Peyton Manning.  There might be a few others, but the list isn't very long.  

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It's odd how it fell apart from Goff in LA with McVay.  It would be really a cool story if both he and Stafford both got SBs out of that trade. Sometimes, it's just making sure you're in the right situation.  Stafford clearly was the right guy for the Rams to put them over the edge.  Now Goff might be the right guy for the Lions.  

Ironic Goff got to a SB with the Rams too.  If the Lions get to a SB with Goff, he'd join a REALLY short list of QBs who have gotten to the SB with multiple teams.  Off the top of my head, I can think of 2: Kurt Warner and Peyton Manning.  There might be a few others, but the list isn't very long.  

Some guy named Brady.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, method man said:

Wasn’t he the Lakers coach and GM for a bit? He sucked at both though

Haven't just about all of the NBA greats been terrible coaches? Jordan and Bird come to mind. Things come easily to the greats, certain moves, motivation etc, and they don't understand why other players can't do what they did.

The leader of men thing is a good point but nothing is more important than the development of whichever QB we select at 2 overall. Whether it’s Maye or Caleb or Daniels, if that guy pans out you’re in your window.

You can always replace a coach with a rah rah guy if the QB is already good. And you’ll get a top candidate, too. I’ll roll the dice on so-so personality if the guy can develop the hell out of the QB.

For that reason, it’s Johnson, Slowik, or bust for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

Another thought is how much influence will Irving Johnson have with the Commanders. From an article and a statement taken from it below: www.si.com/nfl/commanders/news/magic-johnson-commanders-ownership-role-reveal-vision-washington-fan-base-sale

"What is Magic Johnson's job going to be? Connecting. Courting. Electrifying - you"

OKay First of all, please consider the source when posting links from SI.com 

(Mod edit mention of individual with political connotations. None of that allowed in here)

I find SI is just there for clicks, they are like the buzzfeed of sports.

7 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Haven't just about all of the NBA greats been terrible coaches? Jordan and Bird come to mind. Things come easily to the greats, certain moves, motivation etc, and they don't understand why other players can't do what they did.

Bird was a pretty solid coach. His teams weren't championship caliber but were a PITA. Likely would've won a ship if he did it longer. 

Jordan was never a coach, you could probably count him as a player/coach for the Wiz kids.

Edited by spjunkies

1 minute ago, CapsSkins said:

The leader of men thing is a good point but nothing is more important than the development of whichever QB we select at 2 overall. Whether it’s Maye or Caleb or Daniels, if that guy pans out you’re in your window.

You can always replace a coach with a rah rah guy if the QB is already good. And you’ll get a top candidate, too. I’ll roll the dice on so-so personality if the guy can develop the hell out of the QB.

Toughie here.  Dan Campbell is the leader of the Lions.  He has Ben Johnson who has been in the atmosphere that Campbell has established, thus I say that Johnson has the edge but Ryans from the Texans has that about him too.  Johnson's O is better than that of the Texans but as I mentioned in a post last night, the are moving on up like the Jeffersons! :)  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Agreed 100% but let me ask out of the 2 (which are my top 2 as well) does Johnson really only having 2 years of winning Pedegree have any concern as to Slowik has been in winning situations seemly his entire career.  Now I know neither really had a say sort of say in the winning & losing but Johnson comes from a Lions team that until last season was definitely the worst in all of the major sports, as to Slowik in SF and now in Houston, is it a concern with when choosing between the 2?

Edited by Command The 414

1 hour ago, Veretax said:

OKay First of all, stop posting links from SI.com (mod edit)

I find SI is just there for clicks, they are like the buzzfeed of sports.

You can ask me to stop but never TELL me to!  Rude, dude!  I respect your opinion but do it respectfully, please.  :)  

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

You can ask me to stop but never TELL me to!  Rude, dude!  I respect your opinion but do it respectfully, please.  :)  

I'm fumbling this morning, need to take my meds, but the disrespect was for SI not you.   I'd take a salt cake sized bit of salt before beliving anything SI.com writes. Most of the time if they are right, its coincidental.

• Thumb up 2

6 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

Agreed 100% but let me ask out of the 2 (which are my top 2 as well) does Johnson really only having 2 years of winning Pedegree have any concern as to Slowik has been in winning situations seemly his entire career.  Now I know neither really had a say sort of say in the winning & losing but Johnson comes from a Lions team that until last season was definitely the worst in all of the major sports, as to Slowik in SF and now in Houston, is it a concern with when choosing between the 2?

Johnson was with the Dolphins from 2012 - 2018 and has been with the Lions since 2019. 

22 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

In his own words he said the coaches built his confidence back up in the interview before the game.

1 minute ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Johnson was with the Dolphins from 2012 - 2018 and has been with the Lions since 2019. 

Yeah and without looking at the Dolphins on Google wasn’t that some of their toughest seasons? I mean remember the entire tank to get Tua…. But again I might be wrong just going off of remembering and not looking it up on Google 

13 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

Johnson comes from a Lions team that until last season was definitely the worst in all of the major sports

this is more of an endorsement than a red flag, apparently he has the exact experience we need.

I will say though the more I think about it, the more I like Slowik. The Shanahan coaching tree and that system has been the most proven offensive system we have seen in years, its consistent regardless of the team or QB and looking at yesterday....LaFleur is from that system, look how he has Jordan Love playing. McVay and Shanahan we can already see - one has a Superbowl ring and the other had Brock Purdy in the MVP conversation. Even McDaniels got more out of Tua than anyone thought (I still think Tua is flat out not good enough). Not that they are all running the exact sam system but there is a common thread with adjustments made as they have learned and grown. 

It has been proven time and time again, different coaches, different teams, different QBs but the fundamentals of that Shanahan system have been so consitently successful that its hard for me to ignore. People were pointing out yesterday how many of the playcalls for Love were straight from the Shanahan system 

You simply can't ignore this kind of success

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, redskinss said:

this is more of an endorsement than a red flag, apparently he has the exact experience we need.

Yeah I guess I could see it that way but then again the lions have drafted well, and Jared Goff is a very very good QB and up till having the pieces in place and let’s not forget their OL is head and shoulders above many teams around the league I kinda think Johnson has succeeded due to all of that arranging… whereas here it’s a complete rebuild with a rookie QB and many other pieces… except for Terry McLaurin, Sam Cosmi, Jahan Dotson and Brian Robinson the entire Offense might be different…. Whereas I see  Slowik having experience, dealing with new people, players, and a rookie quarterback, as he did this past season with Houston.. just my opinion though… I might be just looking at it from a standpoint of glass, half empty instead of glass, half full 

Edited by Command The 414

10 minutes ago, redskinss said:

10 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I will say though the more I think about it, the more I like Slowik. The Shanahan coaching tree and that system has been the most proven offensive system we have seen in years, its consistent regardless of the team or QB and looking at yesterday....LaFleur is from that system, look how he has Jordan Love playing. McVay and Shanahan we can already see - one has a Superbowl ring and the other had Brock Purdy in the MVP conversation. Even McDaniels got more out of Tua than anyone thought (I still think Tua is flat out not good enough). Not that they are all running the exact sam system but there is a common thread with adjustments made as they have learned and grown. 

It has been proven time and time again, different coaches, different teams, different QBs but the fundamentals of that Shanahan system have been so consitently successful that its hard for me to ignore. People were pointing out yesterday how many of the playcalls for Love were straight from the Shanahan system 

I like Slowik as the Coach too for the same reasons. Add Kevin O'Connell to that list too. H.C. Minn. Won a SB with McVay as asst head coach playoffs last year.  

• Thumb up 1

26 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I don't think you can credit Shanahan for McVeigh.  He started out in Tampa for Gruden.  McVeigh blossomed here with Jay.  I'd credit the Grudens more for McVeigh than the Shanahans.  

• Thumb up 1