Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

2 hours ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

I think it's a little more than normal and quite possibly could be more depending on what happens in the playoffs 

Agreed.  Just wait until Miami and Kansas City both get added to teams needing a new head coach. 

Going to be one hell of an interesting off-season. 

• Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I might be in the minority but I don’t think that the Trey Lance situation is/was as horrific as it’s being spun nationally.  Sure all those picks to move up and get him was way to high a stretch but when he was given the starting job in the off season and all the OTA’s and training camp and then pre season games he actually looked very good but then sustained the injury and then the rest is history with Josh Purdy coming along (kinda like the Bledsoe-Brady situation)….I actually think Denver messed up not trading for him this season, but I do think when Cowboys move on from Prescott he’ll be very good for them… saying all this cause I think Adam Peters is kinda getting a bad raw deal when ppl are talking about Lance.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

I actually thought the reach for Trey wasn't as  big an unforced error as has been made out.

I thought it was too much, but not outrageous at all. Not a "major obvious ****-up." 

Trey was a pretty tempting package of talent as I remember it and it seems that early injury (always possible with any player, especially at certain positions like QB) had a real impact on his deployment.

I can see criticizing Kyle &co for the "unnecessary gamble" but not overdoing that criticism which I think has been the case.

And if we're using hindsight as we are and commonly do, I suggest that hindsight shows Kyle was prescient in seeing Jimmy G. as  not the best long term answer. And the idea that "all Jimmy G. did is win" back at the time and used as one very good reason to criticize the move doesn't hold up well.

Boy, there just isn't anything as shaky as reaching as far as you can to grab that golden (or diamond)  ring at QB.

Added: 😄 I didn't see commander 414 just posted the same general take right above. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

17 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

If they don’t hit on a QB within the first 3 seasons, they’ll all be fired. They are not gonna wait to do so. 

I guess understand fan angst but RG3 and Chase Young will be the last thing on their minds. That has nothing to do with Adam Peters. 

I mean the Texans drafting David Carr 1 overall didn’t stop them from taking Shroud last year 

And the Lions whiffed on a number of high pick WRs before they tried again and drafted Calvin Johnson.  You can't be scared based on the past, especially when it's a totally new group.

All this trade back talk is nonsense, they should and will select the QB they like.  

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

I might be in the minority but I don’t think that the Trey Lance situation is/was as horrific as it’s being spun nationally.  Sure all those picks to move up and get him was way to high a stretch but when he was given the starting job in the off season and all the OTA’s and training camp and then pre season games he actually looked very good but then sustained the injury and then the rest is history with Josh Purdy coming along (kinda like the Bledsoe-Brady situation)….I actually think Denver messed up not trading for him this season, but I do think when Cowboys move on from Prescott he’ll be very good for them… saying all this cause I think Adam Peters is kinda getting a bad raw deal when ppl are talking about Lance.

I just don't care regardless.  

Peters first draft in SF was Solomon Thomas and Rueben Foster in the first.  Double miss.  Yuck.

Seattle has had some awful drafts even though John Schneider and his team are regarded by many as the best in the business.

If we evaluate drafts and GMs based on the real world versus emotion then its clear as day that they all make awful picks.  I can lampoon any of these guys for terribles misses.

But that's not how it works.  Here some of us decry a 4th round miss as unacceptable and awful.  But statisitcally speaking, if I recall about 80% or so of 4th rounders are misses.  Pulling three players out of a draft is considered by most a success.  Meaning on an average good draft there are more misses than hits.

The key is to get more hits on the aggregate than other teams. And Peters has pulled this off.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Peters first draft in SF was Solomon Thomas and Rueben Foster in the first.  Double miss.  Yuck.

Seattle has had some awful drafts even though John Schneider and his team are regarded by many as the best in the business.

If we evaulate drafts and GMs based on the real world versus emotion then its clear as day that they all make awful picks.  I can lampoon any of these guys for terribles misses.

But that's not how it works.  Here some of us decry a 4th round miss as unacceptable and awful.  But statisitcally speaking, if I recall about 80% or so of 4th rounders are misses.  Pulling three players out of a draft is considered by most a success.  Meaning on an average good draft there are more misses than hits.

The key is to get more hits on the aggregate than other teams. And Peters has pulled this off.  

Not to mention some of his “hits” are all pro players, not just starters.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If we evaulate drafts and GMs based on the real world versus emotion then its clear as day that they all make awful picks.  I can lampoon any of these guys for terribles misses.

But that's not how it works.  Here some of us decry a 4th round miss as unacceptable and awful.  But statisitcally speaking, if I recall about 80% or so of 4th rounds or misses.  Pulliung three players out of a draft is considered by most a succcess.  Meaning on an average good draft there are more misses than hits.

More than that, I believe orgs need a philosophy in general. What’s the goal? What type of team are you building. For example, Ron and EB wanted to throw the ball 50 times a game, but you don’t have lineman to pass block 50 times a game. Where’s the pure space catching back. Where’s the YAC receiver and tight end. We have bruising downhill backs. But bruising backs need big man movers up front.  Don’t have that either. Offensive cohesion was a mess. Can’t coach that, have to build it right first then scheme it up on Sundays. That’s what I’m hoping for between GM and coach…

Edited by lovemaskins

15 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Added: 😄 I didn't see commander 414 just posted the same general take right above. 😁

👍 I’m thankful someone else that fast shared the same sentiments… 

imagine this though, at the point in which Lance was traded to the Boys, Howell was actually playing well, I wonder if at any time they called the 9ers to inquire about Trey Lance? I wonder how the temp of the board and fellow Commanders fans would have felt if Lance was traded here, would he have been a guy to move forward with under center?  I know all hypothetical thinking but still kinda funny to think about 

Edited by Command The 414
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

Not to mention some of his “hits” are all pro players, not just starters.

Yep.

All teams miss more than hit on their picks.  It's part of the reason why the anayltics types like to trade down because you have a bigger shot to hit the dart board the more darts you throw.  I can demonize and easily so any GM if I work with the fantasy that some have that good GMs rarely miss and most picks hit.  Not only do good GMs miss but they pretty much all have some egg in your face in retrospect picks that look embarassing today.  It comes with the turf.

But yeah bringing this back to Peters he's killed it on some picks.  Pro Bowl-All Pro players in the 5th round.  

I think we in good hands with Harris for multiple reasons.  Among them based on what I've heard and he's insinuated, he wants his GMs to be aggressive and shoot for the fences.  And is OK with misses as long as the process is sound.    That's important.  Among other reasons why Dan sucked from what I heard people were afraid of making mistakes working with him because he would hang those mistakes on those employees.

9 minutes ago, lovemaskins said:

More than that, I believe orgs need a philosophy in general. What’s the goal? What type of team are you building. For example, Ron and EB wanted to throw the ball 50 times a game, but you don’t have lineman to pass block 50 times a game. Where’s the pure space catching back. Where’s the YAC receiver and tight end. We have bruising downhill backs. But bruising backs need big man movers up front.  Don’t have that either. Offensive cohesion was a mess. Can’t coach that, have to build it right first then scheme it up on Sundays. That’s what I’m hoping for between GM and coach…

Agree albiet the "more than that" comment doesn't really apply to my post.  I wasn't summarizing a FO culture.  I was simply referencing that missing on draft picks is OK.   

But to your pont, yes SF has an identity.   Baltimore has one.  The Eagles have one.   Rivera never had one, it swung from this to that.  Spielman talked about it on Keim's podcast -- coach-GM cohesion.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

51 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Agreed.  Just wait until Miami and Kansas City both get added to teams needing a new head coach. 

Going to be one hell of an interesting off-season. 

Don't forget about Dallas and Philadelphia 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

And the Lions whiffed on a number of high pick WRs before they tried again and drafted Calvin Johnson.  You can't be scared based on the past, especially when it's a totally new group.

It's wild that Charles Rogers is deceased. I believe there is another former Lion wideout,  less acclaimed, who had severe mental health issues and is also gone way too soon. 

1 minute ago, Ghost of said:

It's wild that Charles Rogers is deceased. I believe there is another former Lion wideout,  less acclaimed, who had severe mental health issues and is also gone way too soon. 

are you thinking of Demaryius Thomas of the Broncos? Died relatively recently, last couple of years, by having a seizure in the shower.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Wasn’t Trey Lance looked at as a bit of a project as well. They had Jimmy G there at the time and were going to bring Lance up behind Jimmy? Maybe my memory is fuzzy on that.

They traded up to draft Mac Jones. They already knew from Saleh that Jets were going with the grandma lover. Then Kyle and Lynch talked themselves into Lance over Jones. What role Peters had in that is not known. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Where did you even come up with this? Lol

I meant the starter going out with injury and then a nobody taking over.  I didn’t mean anything bout Purdy being the next Brady… in fact I think purdy is a bit over rated, he definitely is blessed to be with Shanahan for sure.  I know I didn’t explain myself when I typed that but I think you took that way out of context 😉

Edited by Command The 414

Just now, Command The 414 said:

I meant the starter going out with injury and then a nobody taking over.  I didn’t mean anything bout Purdy being the next Brady… in fact I think purdy is a bit over rated, he definitely is blessed to be with Shanahan for sure

I meant his name is Brock Purdy, not Josh haha.