Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

18 minutes ago, KDawg said:

To be fair, I think 2022 Texans > 2023 Commanders. I think we have a tougher climb personnel wise. But doesn’t make it impossible.

I think you are forgetting that Ron told Keim he expects his SB ring when they win it all next season with his roster 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, RWJ said:

When Peters and advisors sit down to eval they will know who a good game caller is (HC) but also a leader of men and the team.  That is my hope!  

Does it give you pause at all that Bill Belichick and Pete Carroll are the only "defensive-minded" head coaches who have won Super Bowl titles since Sean Payton led New Orleans to victory in Super Bowl 44 (I.e., 2010)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Slowik is behind Johnson for me  because he’s described as low key and not a leader of men type but I’d risk it for the play calling 

No one saw Mike McDaniel as a leader, but he is so I wouldn’t be a BobbyBot. I just am enamored by the job McDonald has done and I think is being overlooked, albeit for very valid reasons. But a good organization has a pipeline, so the Qb coach or WR coach also is the passing game coordinator that just steps up. Hypothetically speaking, of course

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think you are forgetting that Ron told Keim he expects his SB ring when they win it all next season with his roster 

Oh, I’ll never forget such a thing. I have it noted that we need to send him a ring on a post-it note.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Slowik might be the biggest goober in the room in an interview…but his scheme/play calling is much more impressive to me than Ben Johnson’s. 

This is not a dig on Ben Johnson, I’ve just watched a lot of Texans and Lions games this year. Just my opinion. 

You're not wrong.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, sjinhan said:

i will be happy with either Slowik or Johnson.

really interesting to find out what they think of Howell

I think in Slowik case he’d probably see Howell as being very similar or worse then Davis Mills was for the Texans, clearly a backup behind a rookie.. and I think Howell could thrive as the back up… as much as I was pulling for Howell this season and very happy the first quarter of the season there wasn’t anything that speaks he’s a proven starter in this league…. Now mind you I don’t think he was Coached very well in 2023 either, I don’t see EB being a coach (he seems to be more of a guy who yells more then teaches and we know RR wasn’t doing any coaching…

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My top 2 as well.

Slowik is behind Johnson for me  because he’s described as low key and not a leader of men type but I’d risk it for the play calling 

If we go defense Id prefer McDonald but much prefer offense 

agree on all of that.  and no offense to you SIP as your intel and takes are always welcome but I am getting so tired of the term "leader of men".  Many posts ago you mentioned Slowik's personality and initial I thought of Norval then you mentioned him as well.  Rivera was a leader of men too as the players really loved the guy but obvi his personnel choices, time management, among other stuff was lacking.

As many have said with a Howell or rookie QB we need a proper person to work directly with them and it seems like all the hot PCs are going to get HC jobs so if we went defensive, we would need to find the next hot to be OC. I would prefer someone established to coach/coddle the young qb and perhaps hand pick a QB coach he trusts.

Back to the phrase, this season during games and hot take we hear "leader of men" so much (especially with all the HC openings) and it grinds my gears....also so overused on commentators in games in the "line to gain".  Jesus how annoying.    Ok just needed to get that off my chest and back to my ****tails.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

I have a couple fears with Slowik.  One is he is a first year coordinator. The other is we are all assuming he did a master full job with Stroud. Could be Stroud is just a stud that he didn’t screw up.  With Johnson we know he maximized a player who was traded away by the team that drafted him. 

Huh? Goff went to a Super Bowl! He wasn't some bum off the street. And there are countless articles about how much Slowik has helped Stroud with his scheme and playcalls. 

I have Slowik above Johnson because;

• He has experience with a rookie QB and scheming/playcalling to the QB's strengths
  • The Shanahan system is the best offensive system in the league IMO
  • The Texans don't have stars at WR, RB or TE like the Lions do and they are still so good offenively
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Does it give you pause at all that Bill Belichick and Pete Carroll are the only "defensive-minded" head coaches who have won Super Bowl titles since Sean Payton led New Orleans to victory in Super Bowl 44 (I.e., 2010)

Not at all.  Give me a leader of men of a team that can call the game on either side, O or D, D or O.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Huh? Goff went to a Super Bowl! He wasn't some bum off the street. And there are countless articles about how much Slowik has helped Stroud with his scheme and playcalls. 

• He has experience with a rookie QB and scheming/playcalling to the QB's strengths
  • The Texans don't have stars at WR, RB or TE like the Lions do and they are still so good offenively

i agree with this completely. The whole Dan Campbell staff seem like old school guys based on effort and toughness. You need that to an extent, but out scheming and outsmarting your opponent goes much further in the modern NFL. Slovik had the right pedigree. 

14 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

No one saw Mike McDaniel as a leader, but he is so I wouldn’t be a BobbyBot. I just am enamored by the job McDonald has done and I think is being overlooked, albeit for very valid reasons. But a good organization has a pipeline, so the Qb coach or WR coach also is the passing game coordinator that just steps up. Hypothetically speaking, of course

I think I was one of the earlier ones here on Slowik.  i posted a ton on him eons ago.

So I was VERY predisposed to Slowik.  But I try not to be stuck on my predispositions and when I heard multiple SF reporters sort of scoff at the idea of him running a team -- they felt he was a nice guy but not even remotely a leader of men type it stuck some in my head. 

Then another who knows him forgetting whom thought he'd be a good offensive coordinator but felt he does not  have a headcoach personality -- it got my attention.

Not to the extent where I was out on Slowik.  Heck he's still my #2 choice.  But i am not going to stick my head in the sand and believe there are no red flags.

There are plenty of good play callers who have sucked as head coaches.     I am willing to risk it here but am not going to pretend I didn't hear what I did.

lol, the last time I just ignored red flag warnings about someone was RG3.   I blew off the criticisms during the draft process because it didn't fit my draft man crush -- later on those criticisms meant more to me.  So I try to stay balanced in part to help avoid disappointment.  But I've been intrigued by Slowik for a long time in this process and still am.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

He also was a first overall pick given up on by the team that drafted him.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

To be honest and this isn’t knocking them but the Panthers not drafting Stroud was clearly the wrong ppl making the decision, I remember at Young’s workout day and Stroud that it was 

Reich, and the former QB for a lot of teams (can’t remember his name) QB coach for Panthers at all of them, where as the Texans sent the right ppl to the same combines and workouts, allow the right ppl to choose your QB… just think the Panthers allowed the wrong ppl to make that decision… I surely Pray we follow the same blue print of the Texans when it comes to that decision, but I also realize we are at the Bears mercy sort of say with what will they do with Fields and or draft a rookie QB 

Edited by Command The 414
  • Thumb down 1

15 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Say no to Vrabrel. 2 of our last 3 head coaches were fired retreads.  No more fired retreads please.

Agree

id take him as a DC, like when Schwartz was fired after Lions and has had great success as a DC in other places (Philly, Cleveland)

14 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Many posts ago you mentioned Slowik's personality and initial I thought of Norval then you mentioned him as well.  Rivera was a leader of men too as the players really loved the guy but obvi his personnel choices, time management, among other stuff was lacking.

This sort of helps make my point.  Ideally, I like both a tactician and a leader of men.  McVay is a perfect example.

A lot of offensive coordonators with strong pedigrees have sucked as head coaches.  It's not just Norv.

Because we've been on both rides I have noticed the pendulum as swung both ways.  For years it was yeah he can call plays but can he led men?  Now its yeah culture-leader whatever, I want a playcaller. 

Both you can have a leader AND a good play caller.

Look am closer to your point of view.  He's my 2nd choice for this job.  I've loaded this thread with Slowik propaganda.  But if he's hired and it doesn't seem to be working, I am not going to ignore the red flags.

I haven't really dived in hard to Slowik the dude.  I've read some about his background.  Watched a couple of his interviews.  The red flags from some who have been around him is more or less -- really nice guy, on the quiet low key side not charasmatic. 

Does that mean he will be a bad head coach?  Of course not.  But I am done with ignoring red flags on coaches or players who end up coming here.    We did get some red flags about Ron but i mostly ignored it at the time.  I am trying not to just think of just the good things and ignoring any red flag on a prospect.

And red flag might not be the right word.  People like Slowik.  He comes off super nice.  But he's described as a bit boring, low key and not the type who commands a room.  Is that a deal breaker for me?  Nope.  But I am not pretending I never heard it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Agreed.  Just wait until Miami and Kansas City both get added to teams needing a new head coach. 

Going to be one hell of an interesting off-season. 

Miami isn’t moving on from their coach after they stink it up tonight if the frozen tundra of Arrowhead.

Chiefs aren’t moving on from Andy. Andy though could join the retirement parade but when you have Mahomes, why retire?