Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

22 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

I see this as John Lynch landing Kyle Shanahan and working so closely with him to build the 49ers to what they are. First time GM brings in hot shot young OC and they grow together through the years.

If you mean Ben Johnson coming here to work with Adam Peters then I absolutely agree and believe it’ll be sold as such.

If you mean Tepper selling it to him I just have a hard time thinking the dysfunction already emerging there won’t give any credible candidate real concern. Course just watch Johnson going there now after me saying that. 🤣

Craig Hoffman's interview with Scott Pioli (who knows Peters) is really good/interesting - basically saying not to get too attached to a head coach candidate right now and not to get too attached to anyone at #2 this early 

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 2

Not saying this is how it plays out, BUT....I Think Myers was hired to work Peters to sign here as GM.  Check.  Rick Spielman was hired to work with Myers to hire Peters also to sign here.  Check.  Speilman's brother Chris, works with the Detroit Lions and knows Johnson very well.  I believe the other part of Rick's hiring was to work with Myers, to convince Peters to hire Johnson and convince Johnson sign as our new HC.  

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Not saying this is how it plays out, BUT....I Think Myers was hired to work Peters to sign here as GM.  Check.  Rick Spielman was hired to work with Myers to hire Peters also to sign here.  Check.  Speilman's brother Chris, works with the Detroit Lions and knows Johnson very well.  I believe the other part Rick's hiring was to work with Myers, to convince Peters to hire Johnson and convince Johnson sign as our new HC.  

Harris pulling some Don Corleone stuff here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, spjunkies said:

Harris pulling some Don Corleone stuff here.

A speculated guess on my part.  Some pieces of the puzzle fit and others might not.  So far, the puzzle is 1/2 put together but was it put together the way I was thinking?  Have no clue just a speculated guess, SPJ.  

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Craig Hoffman's interview with Scott Pioli (who knows Peters) is really good/interesting - basically saying not to get too attached to a head coach candidate right now and not to get too attached to anyone at #2 this early 

Really good listen.  Thanks for posting!

Interesting points -

This team needs a lot of players that isn't all going to be done in 1 year

Peter needs to develop a player acquisition strategy that includes FA, trades and Draft collateral.  

Then player evaluation part then draft strategy

Collecting draft currency gives more opportunities to hit on choices

I think what Pioli was eluding to, having the relationship and knowing Peters is saying there, we could in any direction in the draft and don't be surprised.

Edited by HigSkin
  • Thanks 1

Since the Peters/Johnson/Penix jokes have calmed down today…I’ll throw some gas on the fire with a little revelation I had last night. 

Adam Peters first name is Frederick. So that would make his initials…

FAP

Totally fits the recent theme 😆

• Haha 6

5 things to know about new Commanders GM Adam Peters

Peters has 3 Super Bowl rings

Adam Peters began his NFL scouting career in 2003 with the New England Patriots. He was a scout for six seasons in New England and was a part of two Super Bowl championship teams. He worked under some talented executives, most notably the legendary Bill Belichick.

In 2009, he took a job with the Denver Broncos as a scout. After five seasons in that role, then-GM John Elway promoted Peters to assistant director of college scouting. In 2016, he was promoted to director of college scouting. Peters played an integral role in Denver’s Super Bowl 50 victory with a roster mixed with homegrown draft picks and notable veterans, such as Peyton Manning.

In 2017, John Lynch had just been hired from the television booth to be the San Francisco 49ers GM. He needed someone with strong personnel chops. He hired Peters without even meeting him on Elway’s advice.

Here’s what Elway said about Peters in 2017 after the Broncos hired him:

That will be a huge plus for John because Adam’s been in the league for a long time and knows a lot of different things. How to organize personnel, whether it’s on the college side or the pro side. So to have guys that know how to organize that, he’ll see how the process is run and after that it’s relatively easy. Just to have those people — to have good people around him who can teach him all those things.”

The 49ers have been one of the NFL’s top teams since 2018 and hold the No. 1 seed in the NFC playoffs.

In 21 NFL seasons, Peters has three Super Bowl rings and has been a part of some terrific organizations.

Adam Peters is great at finding gems

The core of any NFL team is players you find on the third day of the NFL draft or undrafted free agents. Peters has enjoyed tremendous success in landing high-level players after the first two rounds of the draft.

Here are some of the players Peters has helped land in recent years:

• Broncos safety Justin Simmons (third round, 2016)
  • 49ers tight end George Kittle (fifth round, 2017)
  • 49ers linebacker Fred Warner (third round, 2018)
  • 49ers linebacker Dre Greenlaw (fifth round, 2019)
  • 49ers wide receiver Jauan Jennings (seventh round, 2020)
  • 49ers cornerback Deommodore Lenoir (fifth round, 2021)
  • 49ers safety Talanoa Hufanga (fifth round, 2021)
  • 49ers quarterback Brock Purdy (seventh round, 2022)

Peters played football at UCLA

Adam Peters began his college career as a tight end at West Valley College. He earned all-conference honors before transferring to UCLA — as an undersized defensive end. He spent three years with the Bruins as a backup defensive end and immediately jumped into coaching once his playing career ended. Peters spent the 2002 season as a graduate assistant before moving to the NFL as a scout with the Patriots in 2003.

The 'GTFO' method

Here’s an interesting nugget on Peters. He understands what his coaches want in players, so that’s what he identifies in the scouting process, regardless of the position. For instance, Peters understands what 49ers D-Line coach Kris Kocurek looks for in a defensive lineman. So, Peters, along with his research and development staff with the 49ers, created the “GTFO” metric, which measures explosion off the ball in the first two yards. Here he is explaining the method to 49erswebzone:

Yeah, the GTFO is something that our R&D group came up with and really just mimicking what coach Kocurek wants. And you guys know what the acronym means, or I assume you know, but it’s something we look for and it’s something they measure, and they do a great job of that. And when you get to the later rounds and you see guys like him stand out on that and then it matches up with his 40 and all the different athletic measurements, it’s something that separated him from the other guys at that point on the board.

Forward-thinking: You gotta love it.

Peters knows scouting, but he also knows how to treat people

Far too often, the Commanders have lacked the human element in the front office. That’s not to knock Ron Rivera, as this was an issue dating back to 1999 when Dan Snyder bought the team. This will not be an issue with Peters.

Everyone knows Peters can find talented football players, but, most importantly, he knows how to treat people.

Ben Standig of The Athletic surveys several certified agents every year on all things NFL. On the question of who is the NFL’s best talent evaluator, Peters (and John Lynch) came in second. There was another question where Peters came in second: Whom do agents trust the most? Here’s what was said about Peters, per Standig:

Good, bad or ugly, Adam (Peters) does it the right way. He treats people with compassion, even when it’s a bad situation. He’s always honest. You know where you stand. I’m surprised he has not gotten a general manager job to this point. I think that if you’re a team looking this year, to put it bluntly, you would be dumb to look anywhere else. I think he is the best in the business.

Extremely high praise for Peters.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Really good listen.  Thanks for posting!

Interesting points -

This team needs a lot of players that isn't all going to be done in 1 year

Peter needs to develop a player acquisition strategy that includes FA, trades and Draft collateral.  

Then player evaluation part then draft strategy

Collecting draft currency gives more opportunities to hit on choices

I think what Pioli was eluding to, having the relationship and knowing Peters is saying there, we could in any direction in the draft and don't be surprised.

Look how Peters found Purdy in the 7th.  The need for players may outweight the need for a QB at #2.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder so with Johnson or whoever at HC, they could land their starting QB in FA or draft but I do see them holding onto Howell thinking that Johnson, if hired can transform his 1 year career like he did an aged vet in Goff. Food for thought.  

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Look how Peters found Purdy in the 7th.  The need for players may outweight the need for a QB at #2.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder so with Johnson or whoever at HC, they could land their starting QB in FA or draft but I do see them holding onto Howell thinking that Johnson, if hired can transform his 1 year career like he did an aged vet in Goff. Food for thought.  

Not really. 

A HC and GM need a franchise level QB to be successful. That’s not all they need, but without the QB nothing else really matters. We don’t have that guy, Howell flashed but fell away. That’s not the end of his career, but he’s not proven he’s the guy we should build around.

There are three potential franchise QBs at the top of a draft we are picking second in. With some hindsight the failure to pick a franchise QB when we had the #2 overall pick and took Chase Young doomed Rivera.

We will be picking a QB at #2 overall.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

18 minutes ago, bwattsup said:

Since the Peters/Johnson/Penix jokes have calmed down today…I’ll throw some gas on the fire with a little revelation I had last night. 

FAP

Best find of the day!!! Job well done lol 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, MartinC said:

Not really. 

A HC and GM need a franchise level QB to be successful. That’s not all they need, but without the QB nothing else really matters. We don’t have that guy, Howell flashed but fell away. That’s not the end of his career, but he’s not proven he’s the guy we should build around.

There are three potential franchise QBs at the top of a draft we are picking second in. With some hindsight the failure to pick a franchise QB when we had a the #2 overall pick and took Chase Young doomed Rivera.

One would think.  If Pioli knows Peters as well as he says he does, then there will be trading going on in the 3rd/4th/5th rounds as Peters is a master at eyeing talent in the mid-late rounds.  

• Like 2

Just now, RWJ said:

One would think.  If Pioli knows Peters as well as he says he does, then there will be trading going on in the 3rd/4th/5th rounds as Peters is a master at eyeing talent in the mid-late rounds.  

I can totally see him using the picks we have in rounds 2-4 to move around and acquire extra picks. I do think though those two 2nd round picks are important to add players on the O’Line. There should be some good options at OT and G in the 2nd. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

I can totally see him using the picks we have in rounds 2-4 to move around and acquire extra picks. I do think though those two 2nd round picks are important to add players on the O’Line. There should be some good options at OT and G in the 2nd. 

It's imperative we do and I hope Peters sees it that way too.  FA has more talent on D that O. 

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, bwattsup said:

FAP

FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAPFAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAPFAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP Trey Lance FAP FAPFAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAPFAP FAP FAP FAP

• Haha 6
  • Confused 1

58 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Not saying this is how it plays out, BUT....I Think Myers was hired to work Peters to sign here as GM.  Check.  Rick Spielman was hired to work with Myers to hire Peters also to sign here.  Check.  Speilman's brother Chris, works with the Detroit Lions and knows Johnson very well.  I believe the other part of Rick's hiring was to work with Myers, to convince Peters to hire Johnson and convince Johnson sign as our new HC.  

image.gif.739edf4e286040f1e981aa7447f4bbcb.gif

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAPFAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAPFAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP Trey Lance FAP FAPFAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAPFAP FAP FAP FAP

Don't Otis up a good thing bro! 😜

Edited by bwattsup
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

8a0b9a20-b8d1-4b28-83ff-ecb7c2f8b990_tex

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Indeed. But it won’t stop the ridiculous speculation and mountains of silly, untethered from reality posts on this topic over the next few months. Solid effort though. 😆

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Starry Plough said:

Is why I’d be amazed if Johnson chooses to go there as a first time HC. Pretty sure since becoming owner there Tepper has averaged firing a coach every 2 years. The recent incident with the fan then, not to mention the belief he involved himself in picking Bryce Young suggests a Snyder-esque impulsivity and meddling, which again I can’t imagine to be reassuring to any potential candidate regardless of financial incentives. 

Well then,  Johnson could sign a10yr/120 mill deal that quickly becomes 2yr/60mill per if he gets the contract guaranteed.   Lol

• Haha 1