Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

24 minutes ago, dyst said:

..not firing Ron during the season helps also. It shows an ownership group who is mature, supportive and rational. Everyone knew Ron needed to go, Harris giving him the entire year is huge when it comes to bringing talent here.

In his press conference that’s the thing that hit the hardest for me was Harris saying “I told Ron I’d give him the season when I took over, and I did” I love in todays society that regardless of the outcome ppl still stick to their word.  Shows Harris is a character guy imho and for that alone I’m good 

Edited by Command The 414
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

I am glad to finally be able to watch this franchise conduct business as it should be conducted. I am hoping for educated top quality hires instead of splashy hires. Fun to watch.

The pretty amazing thing is, if we somehow only manage to land the least inspiring candidates out of our slate of interviews and requests, we'll have done well.  And I think we are trending towards picking closer from the top of our lists, considering the other jobs out there.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

This is what I'm thinking/hoping. Peters gets the promotion the 49ers are trying to give him and he over sees all things Football, with a President above him, who sees over everything. Shen runs analytics for example, someone needs to be in charge of the training staff, facilities, etc. GM and HC are both under HoFO.

I'm confused, aren't we (hopefully) hiring Peters to be the top man?

3 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

I'm confused, aren't we (hopefully) hiring Peters to be the top man?

Yeah everything indicates he would be coming on as head of football operations and then maybe he also hires a GM underneath him but either way from there he handles the football side of things.

• Thanks 1

The Commanders and Chicago Bears are in prime spots to give their quarterbacks — perhaps new ones for both teams — some help this offseason. All five teams at the top missed the playoffs, and at least three of them have quarterback questions to address this offseason. At the bottom, four of the five teams made the playoffs, with the lone exception being the Denver Broncos. It will be interesting to see how Sean Payton and company navigate the quarterback position, given their limited resources and where they pick in the 2024 NFL Draft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boston skins fan said:

You don't need to know football to be a good owner you just need to surround yourself with people that do to be successful. 

I doubt Jack Kent Cooke knew much about football....so he hired smart football people. It's really not that complicated.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I doubt Jack Kent Cooke knew much about football....so he hired smart football people. It's really not that complicated.

Cooke wasn't an insecure ego maniac with a Napoleon complex.  Those types are so insecure that they constantly worry about how they look.  They are terrible people to be around.  They also don't like themselves and that manifests itself in the way they treat others.  

Cooke He just wanted to win.  Dan was truly a cancer and I hope he gets help for his own sake.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

He didn't know much about basketball or hockey, either, yet also got the right people. Not a ton of success with the Kings, but he did start the franchise and won an NBA title with the Lakers.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

This is what I'm thinking/hoping. Peters gets the promotion the 49ers are trying to give him and he over sees all things Football, with a President above him, who sees over everything. Shen runs analytics for example, someone needs to be in charge of the training staff, facilities, etc. GM and HC are both under HoFO.

This has been my preferred structure from day 1.  They're calling it Head of Football Operations, I was calling it President of Football Operations, but doesn't matter, it's the same thing.  

However, I'm confused with one part of your post, are you saying Peters is GM? or Peters is the HOFO?  

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

This has been my preferred structure from day 1.  They're calling it Head of Football Operations, I was calling it President of Football Operations, but doesn't matter, it's the same thing.  

However, I'm confused with one part of your post, are you saying Peters is GM? or Peters is the HOFO?  

Doesn't Peters already basically have the GM job with SF?  Lynch is the HOFO and basically in charge along with Shanny.  To get Peters here I assume we would have to give him the job Lynch has - basically the Czar.

I got an alert on my phone that pointed to an article in ESPN+ which I don't have, but the alert indicated Commanders focusing on defensive HCs.

Anybody else see that alert and/or see the article?  I don't know that I believe it, but I also could have mis-read it.  And I can't go look at it because of the pay wall.

Just now, Idaho fan said:

Doesn't Peters already basically have the GM job with SF?  Lynch is the HOFO and basically in charge along with Shanny.  To get Peters here I assume we would have to give him the job Lynch has - basically the Czar.

Yeah, but not in title I don't think.

Also, what is pretty hysterical about Lynch's title is Shanahan actually makes the final decisions, though they work exceptionally well together, so it doesn't really matter.  But if Kyle wanted to overrule Lynch, he could, and Lynch's title is President.  

It's just about giving people titles.  Sometimes titles are meaningful.  Sometimes they're not.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I got an alert on my phone that pointed to an article in ESPN+ which I don't have, but the alert indicated Commanders focusing on defensive HCs.

Anybody else see that alert and/or see the article?  I don't know that I believe it, but I also could have mis-read it.  And I can't go look at it because of the pay wall.

I have ESPN+. This is all Im seeing.

Who could the Commanders target for their opening?

Fowler: Much will depend on the search for the president of football operations. That candidate will likely have a heavy say in who the new coach is, and Washington is moving fast in that area, set to interview five candidates by Wednesday night. The franchise is looking for a blend of analytical and on-field acumen between both figures in a true pairing. I don't get the sense it is tied to one side of the ball for a coach; it is looking for a quality leader.

That's where a strong defensive field -- including Quinn, Morris and Macdonald, each of whom have been requested for an interview -- might have an advantage. I was told not to totally discount Harbaugh for this job, coaching about an hour away from his brother, John, in the greater D.C.-Baltimore area.

Graziano: The presence of former Warriors GM Bob Myers and former Vikings GM Rick Spielman as consultants in this search is interesting. Going beyond the NFL for help certainly indicates team owner Josh Harris will look for the best overall leader, rather than thinking about whether he should get an offensive mind or defensive mind. This is what all teams should be doing -- looking for CEO types at head coach -- though too often we see them go the other way. Harbaugh certainly fits the bill, as would Quinn, who was successful during his stint in Atlanta (2015-20) and knows how to do the job.

I imagine they will at least interview offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy, though I don't imagine they're eager to promote from the current staff. It feels like a fresh approach is the way they'll go here -- total reset under new ownership.

Fowler: It's an underrated job, Dan. The Commanders have nearly $80 million in 2024 cap space, five picks in the top 100 of April's draft, including the No. 2 overall pick. If Chicago takes USC's Caleb Williams, Washington could control the draft, either taking the second-best quarterback (likely North Carolina's Drake Maye or LSU's Jayden Daniels) or fielding trade offers to move down and add more picks. It will attract major head-coaching talent as a result.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I wouldn’t worry about it.  Commanders are focusing of the GM right now.  After they are hired HC hunt will begin for real.

ESPN just has to pump out articles for people to click on.  They don’t have a clue who the Commanders’ top HC targets will be.

• Like 1

Overrated are the overhyped expectations of average offensive coordinators that were m often coupled with elite quarterbacks. Instead, it's crucial to thoroughly search the coaching market for qualities of excellence, whether on offense or defense. The front office should then focus on securing the next elite quarterback. 

I'm open to an elite defensive coordinator capable of consistently providing the defense with a chance to compete against top-tier quarterbacks year after year. 

Not that I’m against an elite offensive mind either. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Finlay said yesterday they cannot hire someone now using the GM title since Mayhem is still currently employed as our GM.  So once we hire a Pres or VP of Football Ops it they will probably lay off Mayhew and would be able to hiring a GM under say Peters if he/they want to.  Unsure if candidates want sole power of ops and personnel as you said they are currently asst GMs right now anyway and are top talent evaluators.  Would be insane if we got Peters to run the show and want a consigliere to work with in one of the other asst GMs we are interviewing.   Dream Team if they can work together and have the same philosophy towards building a team.

• Thanks 1

If there's a problem with having two people with the title of General Manager, maybe the team should hire the new guy as Supreme High Lord of His Excellency's Joshua Harris's Washington Commanders, then have him fire Mayhew, and then rename his new job to General Manager?

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Finlay said yesterday they cannot hire someone now using the GM title since Mayhem is still currently employed as our GM.  So once we hire a Pres or VP of Football Ops it they will probably lay off Mayhew and would be able to hiring a GM under say Peters if he/they want to.  Unsure if candidates want sole power of ops and personnel as you said they are currently asst GMs right now anyway and are top talent evaluators.  Would be insane if we got Peters to run the show and want a consigliere to work with in one of the other asst GMs we are interviewing.   Dream Team if they can work together and have the same philosophy towards building a team.

They’ll fire or demote Mahew the minute they have a HOFO.  

• Like 1

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Luke Getsy out in Chicago. 

They’re making serious changes to their staff.  I wonder who they’re going to get as OC.  

I wouldn’t be surprised if EB got a look there. It would be a disaster, but I wouldn’t be surprised because he and the GM have a KC connection. 

• Like 1