Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

4 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Maybe he asks Tennessee to let him out of his contract to sign there as a free agent? Interesting...

Not sure what the rationale would be for that solution. Either they want to keep him or they want compensation for letting him go or they want to let him go. Not sure why him asking would make me do something different if I'm Tennessee. 

5 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

The Commanders job is more attractive than it's been in decades, thanks to competent ownership, some building blocks on the roster, a potential top-three draft pick and extra draft capital to potentially package and target a new franchise QB. That could appeal to the most coveted candidates in this hiring cycle, such as Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson, who is expected to have multiple options.

Shanny, Rivera liked to bill that it takes forever to rebuild a team, 5 years, etc.  But it doesn't.  Look at the Texans.  Look at what the Dolphins did in short order during Ron's run.  Look at the Lions climb this year, etc. 

Yeah if your drafts are "meh" it could take 5 or heck 10 years to rebuild a team.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The Commanders job is more attractive than it's been in decades, thanks to competent ownership, some building blocks on the roster, a potential top-three draft pick and extra draft capital to potentially package and target a new franchise QB. That could appeal to the most coveted candidates in this hiring cycle, such as Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson, who is expected to have multiple options.

Some folks here don't believe this job is attractive, but I'd say what ISN'T attractive about it? 

-Cap room

-Top 3 pick

-New Ownership which means new facilities are on the way

Cons:

-No Franchise QB.

The con is why people think the Chargers are a better job than us... But the Chargers are -34M in cap space. That is a negative sign.

Yes, they can get some back with some moves. Yes, the cap increase can help... But they have a ton of holes on that roster and they have -34M in cap. I don't see why that job is more attractive unless you really like palm trees.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Once that Gm is hired, we will get an idea what direction Josh is going in.

Everything is just rumors and speculation.

With the new interview rules it could be a month before our new coach is hired; especially if the coach we want is on a SuperBowl participant.

The national people don’t have an in with Harris’ camp and don’t have a clue.

With Snyder it was kinda the opposite (minus Keim being plugged in to them as well), he was so contentious with local media that national people would almost always breaks stories and have the lowdown. 

Harris I think is different. He’s playing his cards close to the vest and only those local beat writers who have met him and walked the same halls as he and his people do have even an inkling what they’re thinking. 

And even then, Keim is very careful to say that nobody knows much. The leaks in that ship are few. 

Pauline’s not a guy I would bet on in this circumstance. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Shanny, Rivera liked to bill that it takes forever to rebuild a team, 5 years, etc.  But it doesn't.  Look at the Texans.  Look at what the Dolphins did in short order during Ron's run.  Look at the Lions climb this year, etc. 

Peters/Hortiz, I think are the best options for GMs.  It will be interesting to see how/if Dawn Aponte fits in.  You get either of Hortiz/Peters, you have GMs you may be able to build your team with.  Next, is whoever your GM is selects as HC and what kind of bond they can form working together to build a winning team.  Like Keim said it's all rumors at this point.  Johnson would be a great get as HC too and I also believe MacDonald too.  

Oh God. Harbaugh would mean McCarthy early in the draft. 

Not that I think either happens but holy cow, that would be… not ideal… in my eyes. Maybe it works, open eyes, open mind… but ya. I wouldn’t love it :ols:

• Like 2

I like the idea of bringing someone like an Aponte in to manage the cap and operations. It allows your GM to be more the head of personnel vs having to excel at so many different things. Given the role he now plays for the 9ers, I feel Peters is multidimensional. I, however, have questions about Hortiz and what he is able to take on at a high level outside of personnel. 

• Like 1

"By all accounts, Aponte is a salary cap wizard. But this avoids the big elephant in the room: the Ndamukong Suh contract, which we ironically poked fun at on Wednesday. Suh's contract has put the Dolphins' current cap situation in peril, and the Dolphins are already thinking about restructuring the contract to create some much-needed wiggle room. However, that always seemed to be part of the plan. Suh's contract was made with a stipulation that could spread his base salary over the full five years of his contract. In other words, the Dolphins -- for better or for worse --will likely be pushing the majority of Suh's contract to the back-end of the deal; the same "kicking the can" philosophy that the Lions were criticized for when Suh was in Detroit.

But Aponte has always managed, and if she were to stay in Miami, she would figure things out, because she always has. She knows salary cap management better than nearly anyone else in the league. She knows secret clauses of the CBA. And her knowledge of the inner-workings of NFL contracts has her lined up to potentially become the first female general manager in NFL history." Link

1 minute ago, FrFan said:

"By all accounts, Aponte is a salary cap wizard. But this avoids the big elephant in the room: the Ndamukong Suh contract, which we ironically poked fun at on Wednesday. Suh's contract has put the Dolphins' current cap situation in peril, and the Dolphins are already thinking about restructuring the contract to create some much-needed wiggle room. However, that always seemed to be part of the plan. Suh's contract was made with a stipulation that could spread his base salary over the full five years of his contract. In other words, the Dolphins -- for better or for worse --will likely be pushing the majority of Suh's contract to the back-end of the deal; the same "kicking the can" philosophy that the Lions were criticized for when Suh was in Detroit.

But Aponte has always managed, and if she were to stay in Miami, she would figure things out, because she always has. She knows salary cap management better than nearly anyone else in the league. She knows secret clauses of the CBA. And her knowledge of the inner-workings of NFL contracts has her lined up to potentially become the first female general manager in NFL history." Link

This is a big plus but what interests me as much about her is that she has relationships with so many execs across front offices in her current role with the league. She is going to have a good read on every GM in the league and she could be the person who could help lead trade conversations and negotiate with the other side

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I would interview her first and pick her brain about other general managers.   Then narrow down to my final 3 candidates and see what happens from there.  I would not

select her for the final GM job unless she could convince me shows knows some of the young offensive coordinators in the league and their strengths and weaknesses.

1 minute ago, veteranskinsfan said:

I would interview her first and pick her brain about other general managers.   Then narrow down to my final 3 candidates and see what happens from there.  I would not

select her for the final GM job unless she could convince me shows knows some of the young offensive coordinators in the league and their strengths and weaknesses.

With what we have heard, she is not being considered for the GM job. She is being thought of as a EVP of Football Ops or President of Football Ops who the GM would be a peer with or report to. This is the type of structure that has been taking over the NBA and MLB in recent years. A good example is our Wizards. Michael Winger is the President who oversees the operation and has a legal/cap background. The GM is Will Dawkins who is more the personnel guy. 

• Like 3