Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

11 hours ago, Conn said:

You want to model ourselves after a team from a bygone era (over 30 years now) instead of after a successful modern franchise? Does that actually make sense to you? 

I'm well aware of that. I didn't mean for us to dust off the 70s and 80s playbooks and operational manual.

Fundamentals and core principles don't change, regardless of operational, technological, and cultural shifts. Leadership skills, including personal accountability, the ability to communicate to players and staff, humility (accepting changes and adapting), commitment, and sacrifice were hallmark attributes of the regimes responsible for the franchise's glory years. The formula to losing hasn't changed; the same applies to winning. People keep looking to other teams and businesses for the secret sauce or to ape their culture -- nothing Baltimore is doing is new; we've just been that inept for over 2 decades because the organization has been deprived of leadership based on sound core principles which the franchise had previously exemplified, and can be recaptured if new ownership makes the painstaking effort of looking at our history.

• Like 1

In early February, Josh Harris was considering making a bid to buy the Washington Commanders, so he toured the team’s headquarters and FedEx Field, facilities that rank near the bottom of the NFL in multiple categories.

The franchise had languished for two-plus decades under Dan Snyder, but the embattled owner still sought as much as $7 billion for a team whose on-field results mirrored the state of the Commanders’ franchise.

Amid a potential push to make Snyder—the subject of multiple investigations—the first owner ever removed by the NFL, the untenable reality of the team under his ownership began to creep in. 

Jeff Bezos didn’t enter a bid. Houston Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta wouldn’t bid more than $5.6 billion. Canadian Steve Apostolopoulos, who those close to Snyder insisted was an actual bidder, put in a questionable $6 billion offer. Former Duke basketball player Brian Davis’s alleged $7 billion bid was even more fanciful. 

Front Office Sports reported in March that Harris was the only legitimate bidder, and that he was still cobbling together enough funds through many limited partners to meet Snyder’s rock-bottom sale price (and current worldwide record for a sports franchise): $6.05 billion. 

“The deal was hard,” Harris told FOS in September. “It was all stressful. I had to put together a group of 20 investors, raise capital, and then convince the NFL that we were going to be good stewards. So, it was a really complicated deal.”

FOS first reported that the new ownership would likely proceed cautiously; with training camp starting days after he got the keys, Harris wasn’t about to blow up the management or coaching staff. He hadn’t made rash changes after purchasing the New Jersey Devils or Philadelphia 76ers—teams, like the Commanders, co-owned by longtime business partner David Blitzer. 

“The process doesn’t really start until Jan. 8,” a source close to the Commanders’ ownership group recently told FOS

That would be the fast-approaching day after the Commanders’ final regular-season game, morbidly referred to as “Black Monday” around the NFL. Washington has already been eliminated from the postseason. Looking ahead, head coach Ron Rivera is likely out, and other vestiges of Snyder’s hires may follow throughout the offseason. 

...While Harris’s first season will end without a playoff berth (like Snyder’s final two as owner), there’s hope. His stamp will be felt in 2024 as new personnel come in, as a high draft pick is selected, and as the finalists for a potential new stadium site come into focus. 

There was a different kind of hope in 2023 for Commanders fans: that Snyder would indeed offload the franchise. Now, it’s turned to what Harris and Co. will do to revive it. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

if it's Hortiz as GM and MacDonald as a defensive-minded HC, you could bring on someone like Bill O'Brien or Josh McDaniels as OC and feel confident that they won't get poached for another HC gig down the line.

Think there’s a chance it’d be Greg Roman since they coached together.

Dan Graziano: "There's some thought around the league that Washington is very interested in Caleb Williams."

Edited by Commander202
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

11 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

It's the new Snyder tax. He is on a "Self Reflection" journey right now, apparently. I thought to myself, "Yeah, heard that one before." I empathize with Panthers fans.

I'd love to see Tepper fire a coach after every single loss and go through 14 or so head coaches in one season. Why not? Dumber things have happened, and Tepper wants a 'winner' so bad that he's fired two coaches during their first year...why not just go all out and fire coaches with their first loss and keep doing it until he finds that 'winner' just like he did with business deals.

I'd love to see that, while empathizing with Panthers fans too.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

I know nothing about Washington's scouting department except for the fact that the previous owner didn't put any value in it or support it. My question is, is there anyone worth keeping or do we hire an entirely new scouting department.

I have some respect for folks who were here pre Ron. The drafting was solid before Ron came here and brought his buddies over. There is a decent chance guys like Stokes and Gribble stick around if I had to guess

52 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

I know nothing about Washington's scouting department except for the fact that the previous owner didn't put any value in it or support it. My question is, is there anyone worth keeping or do we hire an entirely new scouting department.

I seem to recall media stating there were times Ron and company ignored the scouting departments recommendations. That leads me to believe some of them must have a clue, we just didn't get to see the fruits of their work. Instead....yuck!

If I am the new GM, I am listening to all they have to say and go through a eval period. Some of them could stick around but it will take some convincing because the draft history is not pretty.

Breer

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/12/28/case-for-against-josh-allen-bills-quarterback-nfl-mvp-mailbag

From Jim Doss (@jbd3jd): Do you see the Commanders looking to Baltimore for their next GM and coach?

Jim, I strongly believe it’s one of the models the Commanders are looking at—and I think that’s the whole underlying thing for new owner Josh Harris’s group. It sounds like they’re looking at organizational models as much as they are individual people, and Baltimore is one they’ve studied.

It makes sense that they would, too. The Baltimore Ravens have established themselves as a team that’s won with different GMs (Ozzie Newsome, Eric DeCosta), coaches (Brian Billick, John Harbaugh), quarterbacks (Trent Dilfer, Steve McNair, Joe Flacco, Lamar Jackson) and systems on both sides of the ball. Their foundation has remained in so many ways (what a Raven is, intangibly, has never really changed), but the organization has continued to evolve in a way that’s kept it at the forefront of the sport.

Along those lines, it’s worth mentioning that Harris’s first big football hire has already been made, with new SVP of football strategy Eugene Shen already aboard. Shen, for what it’s worth, got his first job in pro football in Baltimore, spending a half decade with the Ravens, a time over which he worked closely with Harbaugh.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Breer

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/12/28/case-for-against-josh-allen-bills-quarterback-nfl-mvp-mailbag

From Jim Doss (@jbd3jd): Do you see the Commanders looking to Baltimore for their next GM and coach?

Jim, I strongly believe it’s one of the models the Commanders are looking at—and I think that’s the whole underlying thing for new owner Josh Harris’s group. It sounds like they’re looking at organizational models as much as they are individual people, and Baltimore is one they’ve studied.

It makes sense that they would, too. The Baltimore Ravens have established themselves as a team that’s won with different GMs (Ozzie Newsome, Eric DeCosta), coaches (Brian Billick, John Harbaugh), quarterbacks (Trent Dilfer, Steve McNair, Joe Flacco, Lamar Jackson) and systems on both sides of the ball. Their foundation has remained in so many ways (what a Raven is, intangibly, has never really changed), but the organization has continued to evolve in a way that’s kept it at the forefront of the sport.

Along those lines, it’s worth mentioning that Harris’s first big football hire has already been made, with new SVP of football strategy Eugene Shen already aboard. Shen, for what it’s worth, got his first job in pro football in Baltimore, spending a half decade with the Ravens, a time over which he worked closely with Harbaugh.

All and not to you, @Skinsinparadise First impressions are normally lasting ones.  Not all the time but normally.  As time goes on, things point to Ravens.  Don't take it as definite but key word, "point" to Ravens.  :) 

2 hours ago, gooseneck said:

Boom 💣 They all seem to be onboard with Raven's Personnel Assistant at Baltimore Ravens and Director of College Scouting at Baltimore Raven's Hortiz as GM. Raven's DC MacDonald mentioned as HC.  The most important thing here, to me is the familiarity of Shen/Hortiz/MacDonald.  Hortiz can be counted on in finding the OC this team needs.  He's been around for a long time and learned from Ozzie.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, RWJ said:

Boom 💣 They all seem to be onboard with Raven's Personnel Assistant at Baltimore Ravens and Director of College Scouting at Baltimore Raven's Hortiz as GM. Raven's DC MacDonald mentioned as HC.  The most important thing here, to me is the familiarity of Shen/Hortiz/MacDonald.  Hortiz can be counted on in finding the OC this team needs.  He's been around for a long time and learned from Ozzie.  

Let’s do it 

• Like 1

Standig.  Some good points in it.  Even though they are about to embark on new facilities, etc -- you still have to deal for years for the current crap infrastructure. 

Also Ron did just a crappy job with the roster that you aren't inheriting much.   I think ending with a top 3 pick is critical for a number of reasons including making this job more attractive.

Screen Shot 2023-12-29 at 6.54.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-29 at 6.55.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-29 at 6.56.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-29 at 6.56.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-29 at 6.57.31 AM.png

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

The point about Shen and his influence is a very good one. 

I love watching this team every Sunday but this season I can't wait for it to end and watch the real end of the Dan era and new beginning to take place.

New GM.  New HC.  Likely new QB.   Likely one of the most active FA crops in eons.  More high picks in the draft than any years in the history of the franchise.

This should be the most wild and interesting off season in the history of the franchise.

Ron and the FO bombing their last season here just provides an exclamation point for me about the end of the Dan era.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Hopefully they bomb it for 2 more games…..

Yep.  Ron running it at the end with a veteran journeyman QB for a cheap win.  Him scoffing at fans for rooting for loses.  It's all very him and also infuriating.   He deserves to end his career with a sub 500 record.  I think among other things he's trying to avoid that.  But if he loses these 2 games he ends as a below 500 coach.

I said before the season Ron blew his opportunity to keep the fans jazzed post Dan Synder with a crap off season that also lacked any pizzazz.   It ended even worse than I thought it would.  Ron's parting present would be to make it harder to get a QB by a meaningless win.  I know he doesn't see it that way but to me its another middle finger to the fans of this team from him.  Ron has stuck his middle finger at the fans all off season granted unintentionally because he's clueless. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

The problem with the next GM hiring a defensive HC like MacDonald from the Ravens is finding the right OC.  Tomlin currently has this problem with the Steelers and the Ravens only now have found the right OC in Monkin after messing around for years with Roman

I would expect, or at minimum hope, that in this scenario the new DC would be asked for opinions on choosing the right OC hire. After all, the DC would be better positioned to measure the effectiveness of the OC system in question and the overall cohesiveness of the top structure would be better served.

• Like 1