Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

29 minutes ago, KDawg said:

But they shouldn't get a clean slate. They should be judged on merit. If by clean slate you mean, "they're new, so we need to let them make some moves before judging" - Sure! Agreed.

That’s the definition of giving someone a clean slate, right? It doesn’t mean they’re going to be perfect or you automatically back their specific decisions. It just means you aren’t hanging the baggage of the past over their head, they get a chance to prove their competence without the shadow of their predecessors ruining everything immediately. That’s the freedom that Snyder being gone gives to me, personally. Shedding those negative assumptions and biases that I rightfully held. Because there is a clean slate now, if you want to think of it that way. Not everyone does, which I understand. 

29 minutes ago, KDawg said:

But we will agree and disagree with moves even if they are the best GM of all time. It's what we do. 

But this is an assumption. Probably a VERY ACCURATE assumption. But it's an assumption. And I know you know what assuming means.

I just can't even pretend to trust anything a non existent entity is going to do before the entity even exists. 

I get it, but after decades of Snyder and finally coming out the other side, I’m just not super interested (at the moment) in the minutiae of this branch of the conversation. I have to assume for now that we have a real shot at normal, rational, competent operational football management. Of course this is all said within the context of assuming Harris hires respectable FO people. If he turns around and gives organizational control to Bill Belichick, you won’t see me posting the same. But I’m not going to post as if that’s what I expect to happen, given my understanding of Harris’s goals and previous actions. So I don’t. You’ll see nobody triggered harder than me if Harris turns out to be another idiot lol.

You were very reluctant to move ahead with the thought process that Snyder was selling until it was done, and I understood the paranoia then as well. But there’s no fruitful discussion to be had assuming that total incompetence continues in our future, so I’m operating under the (yes, the following word is understandably triggering) assumption that Harris will do what the people who know him best have said he’ll do. 

They can still fail, but operating like a normal franchise and giving his people the best shot to succeed is what I expect from Harris. And then if they fail, holding them accountable and hiring someone else with a vision and giving them the best chance to succeed. Etc. I’m not broken enough to back off of that expectation without evidence, my entire fandom hung by the thread of believing that Snyder could be made to sell. Now that it’s happened, I’m comfortable assuming that we proceed like a professional organization. 

Edited by Conn
  • Thanks 1

Halaby... Eagles FO lifer - 16 years there but he's 36 years old so he started as a 20 year old intern.

If they go with a Boy Wonder GM, I'd want to bring in some gray hair in a Team President role, like Kevin Colbert.

Cunningham isn't much older but rose the ranks as a scout, which I think lends some extra credibility compared to a guy who's been in an office his whole career.

4 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Why though? He's had good draft opinions. Howell and Herbert are good. So I'd want him around talking QBs. Maybe not as the final guy but why so much animosity towards him just being employed?

Hurney did give his input about starting Sam at the end of last year, so that's something in his corner, but I just see him as tied to RIvera all the way back to Carolina.  I just think a clean break is needed when the new regime comes in, but I guess we'll see what happens when Harris and Shen make their evaluations after the season ends

I dont like the "draft a QB and let them compete". There is never a true "competition" you comit to one QB and pour everything into that QB. You tailor your game plan to his strengths. There just isn't enough reps for a true competition and adjusting schemes between two isn't a solution. If the 1st guy doesn't work out then fine move on but I don't think drafting a QB to compete with Sam will work. If we draft a QB high then put everything into him and trade Sam, Howell is too good to sit and wait for a year or more as a backup.

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

Hurney was a big Anthony Richardson fan reportedly. Cant say I’d be that impressed if he were to stick around, on balance he’s has probably had more about him than Mayhew to be honest. Maybe that’s not saying much.

Hurney was a Howell and Herbert guy too.  Can't hurt having him as a "respected voice" pending a new FO reorg.  Keim and Sheehan talked about this yesterday on Sheehan's pod.  He's just a guy that's already being paid to ask questions to.  He was close with Beathard, Casserly, Gibbs way back and followed Beathard out to San Diego then back to Carolina.  Guys got some real "local" knowledge - born and went to high school here growing up a fan.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Hurney was a Howell and Herbert guy too.  Can't hurt having him as a "respected voice" pending a new FO reorg.  Keim and Sheehan talked about this yesterday on Sheehan's pod.  He's just a guy that's already being paid to ask questions to.  He was close with Beathard, Casserly, Gibbs way back and followed Beathard out to San Diego then back to Carolina.  Guys got some real "local" knowledge - born and went to high school here growing up a fan.

I agree with this take, who knows what Hurney put forward and was actually heeded by Ron. The front office disfunction makes it impossible to know who if anyone was actually competent behind the scenes. Having said that I would like to see a brand new start with a whole new front office that is brought together as a team with a singular vision.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

I agree with this take, who knows what Hurney put forward and was actually heeded by Ron. The front office disfunction makes it impossible to know who if anyone was actually competent behind the scenes. Having said that I would like to see a brand new start with a whole new front office that is brought together as a team with a singular vision.

There have been multiple anonymous quotes from others in the league regarding this operation feeling disorganized 

People are acting like he's Cerrato. Dude didn't go the 2008 draft. He has roots in the area and as Sheehan has been saying, it's good to have someone in the org who knows it sand is tied to it by more than a paycheck like Ron and Wright and whoever they hire. He knows the history. I'm not trying to give him a promotion or GM title or president title, just maybe not fire him. 

• Like 4

I wonder what people think about bringing somebody in from the Rams FO? Galdi was talking about their F them picks strategy lately and I happened to listen to the podcast "Ref the District" next which talked about top 5 picks that won a superbowl on their team. Only 6 top 5 picks. Those are Carson Wentz*, Devin White, Eric Fisher, Lane Johnson, Von Miller, Reggie Bush, Jamaal Lewis but Wentz should't be counted since he didn't play. The other stat is the number os QBs drafted in top 5 who won a QB with their team. only2 - Troy Aikman and Peyton Manning. If we include draft day trades, we get Elway and Manning. Lots of QBs have won SBs for othe teams but interesting stat. 

Anyway, at the end of this podcast, he mentioned the Rams, which Galdi had mendioned in his Podcast this morning as well. And it got me to thinking too about F dem Picks. Galdi's message was about Ron not being aggressive enough in the Stafford move and looking back wondering if things would have been different (they wouldn't have been different). But I wanted to look forward and say why not try to look forward and say what if we took an approach like them and just started trading picks for players like the Rams and Eagles (although the Eagles are more cautious and keep more picks). 

20 hours ago, Conn said:

They can still fail, but operating like a normal franchise and giving his people the best shot to succeed is what I expect from Harris. And then if they fail, holding them accountable and hiring someone else with a vision and giving them the best chance to succeed. Etc. I’m not broken enough to back off of that expectation without evidence, my entire fandom hung by the thread of believing that Snyder could be made to sell. Now that it’s happened, I’m comfortable assuming that we proceed like a professional organization. 

Exactly.  I understand the PTS vibe that some have.  But...

But heck even with the dysfunctional regimes under Dan, I give them at least a season or two to see what they can do before criticizing.  Zorn being the exception for me.

I know some here think they already know the clear path of exactly what this regime should do in some key spots and aren't even open to the idea that the new GM should even consider any Plan B.

Not me.  I think you can argue for so many different paths for different reasons.

I can argue for....

A. Ride this with Howell trade down and build up the roster around him.

B. Take a QB in the draft if you feel they are special and build for the next 5 years on a cheap contract

C.  Take Marvin Harrison if you can who might be the best player in the draft.

D.  Take a left tackle and make this draft an O line heavy one.

Some seems to think its obvious that they know exactly what they should do.  Not me.  They can ride with any of these routes and I'll back it.  Because I am already presuming that we are hiring a dude with a big reputation.  First time since Beathard.  And this dude is going to spent an exhaustive amont of time thinking about this -- and will came at it with much more football acumen and information about these topics than any of us would.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's a really good defensive coach.  But i am pulling for an offensive minded head coach.

I value your opinion.  I am somewhat torn.  I would like a good offensive minded coach; I am worried if a good one will be available.  I like his inside knowledge of the Cowboys and their offense as well as being innovative on the defensive side of the ball.  

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Exactly.  I understand the PTS vibe that some have.  But...

But heck even with the dysfunctional regimes under Dan, I give them at least a season or two to see what they can do before criticizing.  Zorn being the exception for me.

I know some here think they already know the clear path of exactly what this regime should do in some key spots and aren't even open to the idea that the new GM should even consider any Plan B.

Not me.  I think you can argue for so many different paths for different reasons.

I can argue for....

A. Ride this with Howell trade down and build up the roster around him.

B. Take a QB in the draft if you feel they are special and build for the next 5 years on a cheap contract

C.  Take Marvin Harrison if you can who might be the best player in the draft.

D.  Take a left tackle and make this draft an O line heavy one.

Some seems to think its obvious that they know exactly what they should do.  Not me.  They can ride with any of these routes and I'll back it.  Because I am already presuming that we are hiring a dude with a big reputation.  First time since Beathard.  And this dude is going to spent an exhaustive amont of time thinking about this -- and will came at it with much more football acumen and information about these topics than any of us would.

I know what I would do, but a lot of people much smarter than me will be making the decisions finally.

47 minutes ago, gooseneck said:

I am pulling for Dan Quinn as a head coach along with a very good offensive coordinator.

I'd rather steal the DC away from the Panthers to be our DC and hire an offensive minded Coach.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I know what I would do, but a lot of people much smarter than me will be making the decisions finally.

The old days of thinking we could (and we certainly could do it) outwit Vinny, Dan, Bruce -- and heck Ron, too are likely gone.

Not saying the next dude will be perfect, everyone makes mistakes but I expect it to be light years better.

I don't have any issue with anyone who has an opinion of what they would do.  But it surprises me that some (not you) think the path is so clear that they don't even want the new GM to research and put in the time to consider all options.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd rather steal the DC away from the Panthers to be our DC and hire an offensive minded Coach.

He’s still under contract with Carolina, right? So he could be in play if their new HC brings in his own guy. I’d expect us to hire a HC before Carolina. Could be a tough needle to thread, but he’s a good target.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ball Security said:

He’s still under contract with Carolina, right? So he could be in play if their new HC brings in his own guy. I’d expect us to hire a HC before Carolina. Could be a tough needle to thread, but he’s a good target.

That's my hope. That a new HC brings his own DC.