Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If Paddleboat Ron leaves, is promoted, or traded at the deadline, who do you want as our next coach?

Redskinscub

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

The owner isn't allowed to hire someone new to be the head of football operations? LOL. Nonsense. 

He can but he has to fire Ron first.

Contractually , Ron is the head of football operations; in addition to being coach. 

So, unless Ron agreed to give up that role; he would have to fire him to bring in the new head.

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Contractually , Ron is the head of football operations; in addition to being coach. 

So, unless Ron agreed to give up that role; he would have to fire him to bring in the new head.

Um, no. That's not how it works. He can remove Ron from whatever position he wants without firing him from all. 

Of course, he need not do any of that. The owner has the final say in all matters, so he could let Ron keep his title and just have someone else as President or whatever and only sign off on his decisions. 

But the logical thing would be just to hire someone and let Ron know that this is going to be the head of personnel and Ron can concentrate on coaching. I can't imagine even people who love Ron (are there any?) wouldn't  understand that taking things off his plate and letting him concentrating on his coaching would be for the best. 

Edited by Rufus T Firefly
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

After this week, if we lose, he might give it up willingly.  

He’ll know it’s over. 

Um, no. That's not how it works. He can remove Ron from whatever position he wants without firing him from all. 

It depends on the contract he signed with Dan.  If, in the contract (as has been reported) he was given full and complete control of football ops, removing that authority is breach of contract.  

Ron could absolutely do whatever he’s told willingly.  But depending on the language of the contract, it might be hard to force Ron to do something.

Though, he also might just do whatever he’s asked or told because saying no to your employer tends to be a bad career move in general. 

Of course, he need not do any of that. The owner has the final say in all matters, so he could let Ron keep his title and just have someone else as President or whatever and only sign off on his decisions. 

But the logical thing would be just to hire someone and let Ron know that this is going to be the head of personnel and Ron can concentrate on coaching. I can't imagine even people who love Ron (are there any?) wouldn't  understand that taking things off his plate and letting him concentrating on his coaching would be for the best. 

Actually what’s best for Ron, is to permanently head back his golf courses in California.

Not that I want to lose, but a blowout loss  Sunday; may convince Josh he needs to make change now. 

33 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It depends on the contract he signed with Dan.  If, in the contract (as has been reported) he was given full and complete control of football ops, removing that authority is breach of contract.  

Ron could absolutely do whatever he’s told willingly.  But depending on the language of the contract, it might be hard to force Ron to do something.

Though, he also might just do whatever he’s asked or told because saying no to your employer tends to be a bad career move in general. 

There is zero chance he had a contract that says he has final say on all football decisions or it's a breach. Zero chance.

Actually, I think by saying zero chance I'm giving the notion more credence than it deserves. 

Absolute kelvin zero chance? I don't know how to dismiss the notion with the disdain that it merits. 

9 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I'm going to have to disagree that it was "too late" to make changes when the sale becomes final. Snyder agreed to sell him the team in May

Even May was too late, and I don't know if he could've put anything together as a defacto owner until the sale was official in July, which was just several weeks before training camp started. I don't know how the NFL rules work in regards to transitioning owners and when the new owners authority becomes official.

No, I don't think rushing a search for a new HC and GM, then rushing them into place just weeks before preseason this year would've done anyone any good.

I'd rather Harris take his time finding his new GM and HC (if that is the setup plan) this season. No need to rush things now.

Let Rivera twist in the wind this season with what he has created.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

Even May was too late, and I don't know if he could've put anything together as a defacto owner until the sale was official in July, which was just several weeks before training camp started. I don't know how the NFL rules work in regards to transitioning owners and when the new owners authority becomes official.

No, I don't think rushing a search for a new HC and GM, then rushing them into place just weeks before preseason this year would've done anyone any good.

I'd rather Harris take his time finding his new GM and HC (if that is the setup plan) this season. No need to rush things now.

As frustrating as it is to see this play out in slow motion, I think this is the best path. We also lived through 20+ years of an impulsive owner who made rash decisions. I don't want another one.

• Like 3

As to the late purchase of the team and reading tea leaves.

Ian Cunningham was offered the Cards GM spot and turned it down, despite having an established QB and a coach he's familiar with in Gannon.

Maybe it's because he's waiting to come here and help us become the leagues best franchise again. We are a premier opening for a GM with the HOG in charge.

Ben Johnson turned down HC opportunities and is easily the best HC candidate in the league right now.

These would be superstar hires for this team.

I'm hoping that Brandon Staley gets canned this offseason and he is looking for a DC job, because that would be amazing for us.

Edited by Koolblue13
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

There is zero chance he had a contract that says he has final say on all football decisions or it's a breach. Zero chance.

Actually, I think by saying zero chance I'm giving the notion more credence than it deserves. 

Absolute kelvin zero chance? I don't know how to dismiss the notion with the disdain that it merits. 

That was reported as the only way he would take the job from Dan.  

I don’t know.  I think Dan gave it to him because he had to do something and his other option was to pull Jim Zorn out of retirement.

Remember, Rivera was hired first. He didn’t stay on the market to see what else was available.

Your zero chance argument holds true with just about any other owner than Dan in his situation after 2019.

I don’t know for sure, but that was the reporting at the time.  Contractual full control over football operations. 

One thing when we do our searching, especially for coaching; there will be competition.

Potential GM Openings

Chicago- Think they completely clean house, which means they will also look at Gm.

New England- Since Bill is the Gm, if they move on from Bill; Pats will need a new Gm.

So, there really shouldn’t be much competition for a new Gm.

Potential Head Coaches

Should be plenty of competition here.

Dallas- If they don’t make nfc championship game; Mike likely done. DC Dan Quinn likely is the replacement or does Jerry bring back Kellen Moore?

Chicago- A complete house cleaning from Gm, coach and qb.  Well, they do have Carolina’s pick. So, new coach can pick qb.

Tampa Bay- If they miss playoffs, owners likely moving on from Bowles.

New Orleans- Same as Tampa, miss playoffs and owners moving on.

Atlanta- If Desmond doesn’t work out; does Smith get another shot at qb, if Atlanta misses playoffs?

San Diego- Staley sucks as a head coach and is wasting Herbert. This probably top job opening, if Available.

Las Vegas- McDaniels sucks. Will Davis admit his mistake and move on?

New England- Despite Bill’s rumored 22 extension; Bob will want to move on if Pats miss playoffs.

There could be even more. I think San Diego will be the most attractive opening but we could be the second most attractive opening; so we should have our choice of a quality coach.  Think Sam Diego lures a veteran coach Or Harbaugh from college.

6 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

Didn't say anything about a coach. In fact, it's pretty clear I'm talking about football operations. 

There's nothing about "rushing" a person into that job that would be an issue. He wouldn't be making massive changes or making trades or anything. Just taking over the job so he's be ready when moves need to ba made. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Ian Cunningham was offered the Cards GM spot and turned it down, despite having an established QB and a coach he's familiar with in Gannon.

Maybe it's because he's waiting to come here and help us become the leagues best franchise again. We are a premier opening for a GM with the HOG in charge.

Brian Johnson turned down HC opportunities and is easily the best HC candidate in the league right now.

I'm hoping that Brandon Staley gets canned this offseason and he is looking for a DC job, because that would be amazing for us.

Brian Johnson is not the best OC candidate in the league.

14 hours ago, HigSkin said:

The eventual Staley departure is going to attract the best OC out there with the opportunity to coach Herbert.

S.Peyton was an idiot for not waiting a year.

Yep. This is what we are contending with unfortunately. It would serve us well for Howell to get back to having games like the one against Philly the first go around and the second half of the Denver game.

Regarding competing against the Chargers for a HC, we have everything going for us except the QB and location (except for Ben Johnson, who is from Asheville)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Didn't say anything about a coach. In fact, it's pretty clear I'm talking about football operations. 

There's nothing about "rushing" a person into that job that would be an issue. He wouldn't be making massive changes or making trades or anything. Just taking over the job so he's be ready when moves need to ba made. 

Well we waited this long for Snyder to be gone. I didn't think it would happen in my lifetime, or that I would at least be 90 before it did. If I live that long. 🤔

I can now be patient with the new owner and go by his schedule. After all, the season will be over in a little over a couple of months in January.

We've waited 25 years for this. I can wait two more months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Cannot wait to start hearing about what a hot spot we are for top GM candidates this offseason. Progressive owner willing to give all resources, tons of cap space and impending FA’s to mold the roster as much or as little as you like. Freedom to rebuild the football ops from the ground up in your image and hire your top coaching candidates. An extremely low bar to appear competent in comparison to the last few decades. Very little baggage because the whole franchise is getting upended and rebuilt. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

On 10/28/2023 at 6:11 AM, Koolblue13 said:

Um, I live in LA and Staley's D has been a disaster this year and has underachieved for most of his tenure. He gives a good press conference -- other than that, it's been Del Rio like.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Conn said:

Cannot wait to start hearing about what a hot spot we are for top GM candidates this offseason. Progressive owner willing to give all resources, tons of cap space and impending FA’s to mold the roster as much or as little as you like. Freedom to rebuild the football ops from the ground up in your image and hire your top coaching candidates. An extremely low bar to appear competent in comparison to the last few decades. Very little baggage because the whole franchise is getting upended and rebuilt. 

You know that feeling after you've been backed up and it all finally just is gone? That's this feeling. I love this feeling.

• Like 2

On 10/28/2023 at 9:11 AM, Koolblue13 said:

Ben Johnson turned down HC opportunities and is easily the best HC candidate in the league right now.

Just saw this. That trio would be very, very exciting.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1