Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Ok, pride hurt Dallas, stupid, myopic ego. Beating Dallas ONLY helps Philly, while hurting ourselves. These idiots are basically calling to help the most loathesome fanbase in all sports.

**** that noise. Do what Philly did when they tanked a few years ago against us. Except don't even start your "starters" They can dress if needed. But I'm not kidding when I say Fromm at QB with as back backups as possible. I want that **** for realz. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

19 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Man, I spent some time this AM using Zach Wilson as an example. Going through the reviews, everyone hedges their bets on the Pros/Cons. This image was the clearest evaluation I could find, and it basically says he could be great or could suck. The mock drafts going back over years are a trip. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-mock-drafts-2021-mel-kiper-daniel-jeremiah-todd-mcshay/1617ssdcd8ijx1n618dgx8ibgu

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/04/20/nfl-mock-draft-san-francisco-49ers-justin-fields-tackles

Makes me think about this draft. If Washington's new GM and coach love X QB and that player is there, take him. If they are that worried he'll be gone and they feel that is their guy. Try to make a move for him. If they can't get that guy, and they don't also love the next guy at that position. Do you still take him because they need a QB? That's a front-office philosophy question. If they LOVE Caleb Williams but not Drake Maye and Maye falls to them with Williams gone. Some teams will still take Maye because the value of that position. Others say "Yeah, this sucks. But then, who is the next guy we LOVE? Can you only get him at that slot you're in? Can you trade back and still get him? If not, do you take him higher than he's projected?

I imagine for a really good front office. That's a lot of fun and heartburn at the same time. The rush must be insane when they make that decision.

To tie a bow on this. Today, Jan 2, 2024. I personally don't LOVE any of the QBs projected at the top of the draft today. I get the insane things Caleb Williams did at USC and the throws he made. Then we read the "We're a Team Now" yells during their bowl game with the backup QB breaking school records in their bowl game. Is he a Diva? I don't know. While he is taller than Howell and not "short", he's like 6'1 vs. 6'4 with Drake Maye. Does that matter when more shorter QBs are succeeding? 

Ok, Drake Maye LOOKS like an NFL QB. Tall, Strong, etc. Did playing in a down-year ACC inflate his stats? I don't know. Josh Allen didn't come from the SEC and he looks pretty awesome at times. When you read the "cons" about him now, they say that he doesn't read defenses well, or like Sam, takes some bad sacks, or doesn't throw on the run well. 

Jaylen Daniels. Has the height. Will put on some weight probably. Folks say he does read the field well and gets rid of the ball faster. But might not have the strongest arm, and has been banged up a few times.

I could like any one of those guys while not loving any of them today. There you go, @Conn.  I might have been the 56th person to join ES all those years ago, but I can still contribute when I try. I was the person who posted Joe Gibbs was coming back before anyone else here after George Michael (RIP) Reported it. That will forever be my shining moment here. 

2024-01-02_08-37-31.jpg

Nice work/research. I agree with you on the top tier QB assessment of this draft. You deserve a break after all of that work you just put in. After you rest up, go find out who our next head coach is like you did when you reported King Joe was un-retiring. We're all counting on you Mr. Goldpants.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Nice work/research. I agree with you on the top tier QB assessment of this draft. You deserve a break after all of that work you just put in. After you rest up, go find out who our next head coach is like you did when you reported King Joe was un-retiring. We're all counting on you Mr. Goldpants.

GM first, KD. 

Ben Standig did a cool breakdown of a bunch of people - https://theathletic.com/5167185/2024/01/01/commanders-general-manager-candidates/?source=emp-shared-article&access_token=705454&redirected=1

Not sure who can access this or not. I can share the names and some blurbs while following board rules about posting from articles. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, @DCGoldPants said:

GM first, KD. 

Ben Standig did a cool breakdown of a bunch of people - https://theathletic.com/5167185/2024/01/01/commanders-general-manager-candidates/?source=emp-shared-article&access_token=705454&redirected=1

Not sure who can access this or not. I can share the names and some blurbs while following board rules about posting from articles. 

Much of it is posted on the GM thread

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

22 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

**** that noise. Do what Philly did when they tanked a few years ago against us. Except don't even start your "starters" They can dress if needed. But I'm not kidding when I say Fromm at QB with as back backups as possible. I want that **** for realz. 

Not to mention preserving health. Nothing would be worse than Terry or Jon Allen going down with an ACL in a meaningless game when they could be trade-candidates. Or, say, Daron Payne tearing his ACL, which would put us in a big bind if we wanted to trade Allen, etc. etc.

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, Skins199021 said:

Even before last night 

Penix to me looks and seems way better than Maye. And against better competition 

that doesn’t mean I take him two but definitely makes me not want Maye at 2 

Dude, I seriously can barely put up with your comments the last few days.  I rarely post but I can't take anymore of your crap comments.  We get it.  He should be off draft boards according to you.  The last time I saw a person with such irrational hate they can't let go of, they changed sexes and went by the name Einhorn.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Breer

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/01/02/rams-coach-sean-mcvay-retools-offensive-staff-makes-2023-nfl-playoffs

Justin Fields had one of his best games with the Chicago Bears on Sunday, connecting on 20-of-32 passes for 268 yards, a touchdown, and a passer rating of 99.5. Afterward, he spoke reflectively, a sure sign he knew that the win over the Falcons may well wind up being his final game at Soldier Field as a Bear.

Should it be? Well, the smart money would tell you it will be.

And money is the operative word there. If the Bears were to pass on a quarterback with the first pick, then the decision on Fields’s fifth-year option at more than $20 million would be academic. And Fields would only get more expensive from there if he plays well.

Conversely, Williams will sign a deal at around $40 million for the next four years, with a fifth-year option for 2028.

Making the call on Fields’s option will be a deciding factor, regardless of who’s making the decision—coach Matt Eberflus and general manager Ryan Poles have made a very strong case to remain in their jobs (team president Kevin Warren is the wild card here). And I say that as someone who believes Fields has done everything as a player and person to make his case for staying.

• Like 1

Tim Hasselbeck says Maye is the best prospect he has seen in 15 years. Some really interesting takes. And the more I dig the more I know I need to go watch more of Mayes tape. A LOT of big names prefer Maye to Caleb in this draft:

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Not to mention preserving health. Nothing would be worse than Terry or Jon Allen going down with an ACL in a meaningless game when they could be trade-candidates. Or, say, Daron Payne tearing his ACL, which would put us in a big bind if we wanted to trade Allen, etc. etc.

I think you let Terry play because he is in spitting distance of having a 1k season. After having to deal with Sam’s growing pains and not ****ing about it, give him that at least. Forcefeed him with screens and slants in the first half to get him there and then sit hin

• Thumb up 2

12 minutes ago, method man said:

I think you let Terry play because he is in spitting distance of having a 1k season. After having to deal with Sam’s growing pains and not ****ing about it, give him that at least. Forcefeed him with screens and slants in the first half to get him there and then sit hin

Yeah you gotta feed Terry to get him to 1K.

PFF

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-perfect-2024-nfl-draft-prospect-all-32-teams-marvin-harrison-jr-cardinals-bo-nix-broncos

Perfect 2024 NFL Draft prospect for all 32 teams:

NEW YORK GIANTS: QB DRAKE MAYE, NORTH CAROLINA

For as bad as it looked with Daniel Jones to start this season, if the Giants have a chance to draft Drake Maye, I’d do it. Maye had by far the most big-time throws of any quarterback in the FBS over the last two seasons and would be the perfect new investment for Brian Daboll’s offense.

WASHINGTON COMMANDERS: QB CALEB WILLIAMS, USC

The Commanders are now within striking distance of one of the top two quarterbacks in this class. Truth be told, Williams or Maye would be perfect for them, but Williams being from Washington, D.C., makes him the perfect prospect for this franchise with a bit of a homecoming element to it.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, slidegood said:

Dude, I seriously can barely put up with your comments the last few days.  I rarely post but I can't take anymore of your crap comments.  We get it.  He should be off draft boards according to you.  The last time I saw a person with such irrational hate they can't let go of, they changed sexes and went by the name Einhorn.

That’s great, don’t read them

anyways Klatt things Penix should go top 5, top 10 at worst 

• Thumb up 1

I like Klatt, he's fun to watch.  i don't always agree with him but the dude certainly watches a ton of college football. 

Joel Klatt reveals his Top 5 quarterbacks to start the 2023 season

With the college football season set to kick off on Saturday, fans and analysts across the country are debating who the best players are.

When it comes to the quarterback position, this is a class that is looked at as a once-in-a-decade type of class, with multiple guys expected to be high draft picks in next year’s NFL Draft. Caleb Williams (USC) and Drake Maye (UNC) are considered to be the top 2 players in all of college football.

Joel Klatt, a former quarterback himself who has 44 school records at Colorado, said it’s a very good year for quarterbacks, especially in the Pac-12.

3. Michael Penix Jr.: “If I had to bet on anyone not named  Caleb Williams to win the Heisman it is this guy. I have been watching him since he was at Indiana.”

2. Drake Maye: “I love watching this guy play. He is a mini Josh Allen. Whatever North Carolina is going to be able to do is on the back of him.”

1. Caleb Williams: “He is the closest thing in football at any level to Patrick Mahomes, who is the best football player on the planet. Caleb Williams does things that aren’t supposed to happen in a football game.”

https://saturdayoutwest.com/pac-12/joel-klatt-reveals-his-top-5-quarterbacks-to-start-the-2023-season/

“Drake Maye is No. 3 in the official Heisman ranking right now,” Klatt said on his show. … the guy is uber talented and like I said earlier — if Caleb Williams wasn’t wearing a college football jersey right now, Drake Maye would be the runaway No. 1 pick.

“Everyone is saying all of these NFL teams are tanking for Caleb Williams — two teams will be getting great quarterbacks. His game translates so well to the NFL. The [passing] windows that he sees on the field — most college quarterbacks would see a guy that is covered — he sees a guy who is open. He has the talent and confidence to throw them open.”

Klatt rounded out his Heisman rankings with Williams at No. 1 and Washington QB Michael Penix Jr. at No. 2, though Klatt doesn’t see the same professional ceiling for Penix that he does for Williams and Maye.

https://www.on3.com/college/north-carolina-tar-heels/news/joel-klatt-makes-case-for-drake-maye-as-heisman-contender/

Edited by Skinsinparadise

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

WASHINGTON COMMANDERS: QB CALEB WILLIAMS, USC

The Commanders are now within striking distance of one of the top two quarterbacks in this class. Truth be told, Williams or Maye would be perfect for them, but Williams being from Washington, D.C., makes him the perfect prospect for this franchise with a bit of a homecoming element to it.

In the history of dumb takes, this would have to be up there.

There may be great reasons why Williams should be a Commander, but being a hometown hero is least among them.

Personally, if Maye is "perfect" for us and is there when we draft, I'd rather have him and all those draft picks we'd have to send to Chicago for the first pick.

• Like 10
  • Thumb up 2

7 minutes ago, profusion said:

In the history of dumb takes, this would have to be up there.

There may be great reasons why Williams should be a Commander, but being a hometown hero is least among them.

Personally, if Maye is "perfect" for us and is there when we draft, I'd rather have him and all those draft picks we'd have to send to Chicago for the first pick.

A week ago i would have disagreed with you. But I dont anymore. The more I watch Maye the more comfortable I am with just sitting pat and taking whichever one is there at two. That allows us to put some young talent around whichever one it is as well. 

• Like 8
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

You know, I was the first one to break the news when we hired Zorn.

23 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

A week ago i would have disagreed with you. But I dont anymore. The more I watch Maye the more comfortable I am with just sitting pat and taking whichever one is there at two. That allows us to put some young talent around whichever one it is as well. 

If the new management thinks the difference between Williams and Maye is substantial, or they think Caleb would be a way better fit for what they want to do, then I'm fine with them trading with Chicago.

However, what we'd be getting along with Williams is a significantly reduced ability to put elite talent around him for almost half of his rookie contract. That concerns me, given the state of our roster.

Edited by profusion
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

What’s our worst case scenario if we beat the Boys?  Could we fall out of the top 5?!?

No, 5 is our floor now. 

It's actually possible for us to win and stay at number 2. We'd need NE and AZ to win and the tiebreakers to go our way. 

I'm not suggesting we try it. Let's just lose and hope we hold number 2. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

If we trade with Chicago would you rather give up Terry or Payne if they ask for 1?

I'd hate to lose him, but it'd probably be easier to find a replacement for Terry than for Payne.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

PFF actually isn't that into Penix ironically.  But you are right its in the heat of the emotion of the game

Well, that guy is a PFF guy. And he is clearly in on Penix.

32 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I'm not suggesting we try it. Let's just lose and hope we hold number 2. 

Now that Dallas has something to play for, and by something, I mean they control their destiny in the division, get a home game, most likely the #2 seed, 2 home playoff games, and not have to play SF until the Conference Championship Game, I feel like it's almost impossible for them to lose.  

Even Mike McCarthy can figure out how to motivate his guys for this game?

Right?

Right?

I'm Right, aren't I?

Golly gee, I really hope I'm right.  

• Haha 2