Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

Agreed with Nick. Lets take a home run swing. 

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

If the Bears take Harrison it won't be at #1 overall. They'll either trade back to 2 or 3 because they'll know that both we and the Pats are going to take a QB. So they'll trade with whoever offers them the most, which would probably be the Pats at 3. Then they get a haul of picks and still get Harrison.

If the Bears aren't going with Williams we're likely going to have to give up a haul to move to #1 for him as you knot the Pats sure as hell will be trying as well.

If the new regime likes two guys equally we have no real incentive to trade up.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Just thought I should point out that Washington hasn't drafted a winning QB in the first round since....

Holy moly, is that accurate? Yikes.

47 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Enough of the QB talk. At number 2, is there a really fat CB we could take? Pair him with the skinny Forbes? Not saying we’d win any games, but it could be the subject of an unfunny sports-buddy-comedy movie that the world desperately needs.

I may not be a CB but I definitely have the fatness down pat!

20 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Agreed with Nick. Lets take a home run swing. 

If the new regime likes two guys equally we have no real incentive to trade up.

Or even if they like Williams a bit more it probably won't be a difference enough to give up our first next year as well as good picks this season.  Josh made it clear that he is thinking long term not a quick fix. Trading up in the draft is not what you do for the long haul with so many holes on this roster.  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Holy moly, is that accurate? Yikes.

I believe it is. After Sammy Baugh, the Redskins' winning QBs were all obtained in trades. Their attempts at drafting QBs in the first round have been especially disastrous. Norm Snead might have been the best of these, and he was only with the team for a couple years during a bad era.

Edited by profusion
  • Like 1

Just now, CapsSkins said:

Take Caleb/Maye/Daniels at 2 overall and take McCarthy or Nix or someone else on Day 2. Keep taking swings! RG3 and Cousins part 2 except no massive trade up for Robert.

No. Draft one guy and commit everything to him from day one. No needless drama.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

2 overall is “The Guy” unless and until proven otherwise. Draft two QBs per draft until you have someone you believe can be a long term starter.

You build the team while finding the QB, but nothing matters until you have a QB.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

LOL. In that scenario, you think the Pats would refuse to deal with Chicago to, what? Screw them over for some reason? 

That's not the way any of this works. If they wanted Harrison and us and the Patriots wanted Williams, the two teams would bid on the pick. We're not getting some kind of compact with the Patriots to stop it happening. 

I think dude is just saying:  If the whole world knows the Bears want Harrison then why wouldn't pats/wash call their bluff.  What are they gonna do, just pass on Harrison and draft one of the QBs to spite us?

So that's the thing.  Chicago would be wise (and surely will be) to keep things secret.  But these days...word travels fast.  So if the world knows Bears want Harrison, then the Pats would be more interested in switching with us for Williams and we take Maye.  That's my favorite scenario at the moment.  Maybe it's easier to hide who we want, and with the Bears and Fields it might be a little more obvious. Is he on a contract year or anything?  Do moves/contracts before the draft make it clear Fields is staying?  

As interesting top 3 situation as I can remember.   Between that and new ownership/office/everything, this should be more exciting than any game this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

LOL. In that scenario, you think the Pats would refuse to deal with Chicago to, what? Screw them over for some reason? 

That's not the way any of this works. If they wanted Harrison and us and the Patriots wanted Williams, the two teams would bid on the pick. We're not getting some kind of compact with the Patriots to stop it happening. 

Yeah i have no clue what that's all about. Are the Pats going to get into some sort of "gentleman's agreement" with us to not get in a bidding war for a QB?  :ols:

If the Pats are enamored with Williams and the Bears are open to trades, you can bet your ass they'll be bidding. And if they offer more than us (likely as they'd be moving from 3 to 1 instead of 2 to 1) then the Bears would probably take it as they'd be almost positive Harrison would still be there at 3.

Though I suppose we could push the rumor that we're in love with Harrison as a generational WR talent and may very well take him at #2. That would probably piss the Bears off something fierce if he's the guy they want...so maybe to be safe in that situation they WOULD just move down to 2 to be 100% that they get Harrison.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dirt said:

I think dude is just saying:  If the whole world knows the Bears want Harrison then why wouldn't pats/wash call their bluff.  What are they gonna do, just pass on Harrison and draft one of the QBs to spite us?

Because, if you are New England, your chance to get Williams, or whomever is your QB1, is to move up in this scenario. They're not going to sit back and take their second choice to "Call the bluff" of Chicago. 

The other poster was throwing in some other variables, and I'm not sure there's much more to be said about what he and I said on the topic. But, suffice to say, two teams "calling the bluff" of the Bears is not part of what would end up being done with the top pick.

31 minutes ago, profusion said:

I believe it is. After Sammy Baugh, the Redskins' winning QBs were all obtained in trades. Their attempts at drafting QBs in the first round have been especially disastrous. Norm Snead might have been the best of these, and he was only with the team for a couple years during a bad era.

Just one of many embarrassments, of being a fan of this team. I sometimes wish I was a fan of a different team. However I was born into a Redskin family. I really had no say so. And I was too young to enjoy the incredible late 80s early 90s prosperity. Then decades of being practically obsessed with it and having nothing but heart ache. Things need to change and fast! 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

21 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Take Harrison, grab Nix in round 2 and then load up on O-line, TE and LB whether in free agency or the draft. Keep Sam and let him and Nix battle it out. I'm confident that Nix could be our Purdy at the very least. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

I say as fans -- we trust in this new regime (because we have no choice) and get on board.  They have a chance to wipe the slate clean (which I hope they do) and start over.  This 1st round pick is very important, but, it's one variable in, hopefully, a larger master plan.  

This is the first time in a very long time that I'm actually somewhat excited.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MrJL said:

and of course now that it seems  like we have a chance at any of the top QBs we are suddenly just talking about the  flaws  and why we shouldn't take this one or that one.

This is from 7 hours ago so somebody may have commented this already, but I just want to point out that I think this is extremely healthy for the board. We will likely take one of these QB’s. I think it’s very good for setting expectations, to almost over-educate everyone here on the strengths and weaknesses of the various prospects as we get closer to the draft. That is going to include a LOT of discussion (and disagreement, and continued discussion) about the flaws of these players. 

The more informed everyone is, the more bearable this place is going to be as whoever we select begins to develop (or doesn’t! It’s possible and important to acknowledge). No more of this blind “franchise savior” hero worship bull****. It’s toxic, and it creates unrealistic expectations and untenable controversy when production doesn’t meet poorly-conceived assumptions. Then you get the violent backlash to the readjustment to reality that people have to make once the curtain falls and the real prospect you’re dealing with—flaws and all—is revealed. It’s all stupid and harmful and dumbs down discussion here.  

Let’s all get educated and exchange ideas about these QB’s. Get comfortable with the pros and the cons (especially the cons!), so that we’re ready to embrace the realistic possibilities that each can provide us. It’s good to dream about ceilings and turning around the franchise. But let’s base that stuff in reality and face the flaws these guys have head-on. It’ll make us smarter and make it more enjoyable to be a fan around here, regardless of who we take.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Conn said:

This is from 7 hours ago so somebody may have commented this already, but I just want to point out that I think this is extremely healthy for the board. We will likely take one of these QB’s. I think it’s very good for setting expectations, to almost over-educate everyone here on the strengths and weaknesses of the various prospects as we get closer to the draft. That is going to include a LOT of discussion (and disagreement, and continued discussion) about the flaws of these players. 

The more informed everyone is, the more bearable this place is going to be as whoever we select begins to develop (or doesn’t! It’s possible and important to acknowledge). No more of this blind “franchise savior” hero worship bull****. It’s toxic, and it creates unrealistic expectations and untenable controversy when production doesn’t meet poorly-conceived assumptions. Then you get the violent backlash to the readjustment to reality that people have to make once the curtain falls and the real prospect you’re dealing with—flaws and all—is revealed. It’s all stupid and harmful and dumbs down discussion here.  

Let’s all get educated and exchange ideas about these QB’s. Get comfortable with the pros and the cons (especially the cons!), so that we’re ready to embrace the realistic possibilities that each can provide us. It’s good to dream about ceilings and turning around the franchise. But let’s base that stuff in reality and face the flaws these guys have head-on. It’ll make us smarter and make it more enjoyable to be a fan around here, regardless of who we take.

Nah. 

• Haha 8

4 minutes ago, Dirt said:

So that's the thing.  Chicago would be wise (and surely will be) to keep things secret.  But these days...word travels fast.  So if the world knows Bears want Harrison, then the Pats would be more interested in switching with us for Williams and we take Maye.  That's my favorite scenario at the moment.  Maybe it's easier to hide who we want, and with the Bears and Fields it might be a little more obvious. Is he on a contract year or anything?  Do moves/contracts before the draft make it clear Fields is staying?  

As interesting top 3 situation as I can remember.   Between that and new ownership/office/everything, this should be more exciting than any game this year.

that is exactly what I was saying

We will likely know the Bears intentions at #1 well before the draft. If they trade Fields, then clearly it’s a QB. If they plan to hold on to Fields, we’ll know fairly early in the Off-season, as well as lots of chatter about that pick being for sale. 

And let’s not forget Malik Nabers would probably be a lock Top 5 pick in any other draft. The Bears could comfortably trade back with NE and still get Harrison but they could also go back to further and grab Nabers. I’d presume the Cards would go Harrison or Nabers at 4. The Bears would get more from NE by going back to 3. And they know we are not a risk to go Harrison. My best guess for the Top 10:

1. *Patriots - Drake Maye, QB UNC

2. Commanders - Caleb Williams, QB USC

3. *Bears - Marvin Harrison, Jr., WR OSU

4. Cardinals - Malik Nabers, WR LSU

5. *Falcons - Jayden Daniels, QB LSU

6. Chargers - Brock Bowers, TE Georgia

7. Titans - Olu Fashanu, OT PSU

8. Jets - Joe Alt, OT Notre Dame

9. Giants - Rome Oduze, WR Washington

10. Bears - JC Latham, OT Alabama

A HUGE wildcard here would be who we have as our GM. I’d bet if we hire Ian Cunningham from Chicago that a 1-2 pick swap would increase substantially. And he’d probably come here knowing very well where the Bears’ heads are in regards to where they plan to go at QB / #1.

He also may have insight into who the Bears favor should they choose to go QB at #1. And maybe he’d even have an eye for bringing in Justin Fields if he’s on the block. And that would throw the entire draft through a loop. #2 would be for sale and a trade back would seem likely, assuming we bring in Fields for a 2nd or something 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

We will likely know the Bears intentions at #1 well before the draft. If they trade Fields, then clearly it’s a QB. If they plan to hold on to Fields, we’ll know fairly early in the Off-season, as well as lots of chatter about that pick being for sale. 

And let’s not forget Malik Nabers would probably be a lock Top 5 pick in any other draft. The Bears could comfortably trade back with NE and still get Harrison but they could also go back to further and grab Nabers. I’d presume the Cards would go Harrison or Nabers at 4. The Bears would get more from NE by going back to 3. And they know we are not a risk to go Harrison. My best guess for the Top 10:

I was going to bring this up, the whole concept is really too silly to keep discussing. 

If I'm Chicago and I've decided to stick with Fields and I'm actually hearing form NE and Washington that they are not going to make any offer for a trade up, you can bet I'm listening to other offers (would listen anyway, of course). Can you imagine what offers Atlanta, Vegas, Denver and others might come up with for Caleb Williams? If I have to "settle" for Nabers or Odunze and load up on picks and players, I don't love Harrison so much that I don't consider it. 

In that scenario Washington and NE don't get the QBs they really wanted, but they can have a beverage and celebrate their resolve.

"Boy, we sure called their bluff, didn't we?"

"Sure did, brother. Sure did."

Edited by Rufus T Firefly
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

Doesn’t matter what the fans want. Caleb Williams will be the first overall pick unless Jayden Daniels doesn’t a meteoric pre draft rise. Regardless, the pick will be Qb either the bears making it or the team they traded it to. If they are in love with Marvin Harrison Jr they can trade with us to guarantee him if we have the second overall pick. But it probably makes more sense for them to drop to 3 or 4. By the time this shakes out it will be qb 1,2,3 in all likelihood given the premium on the position. 

I personally want Caleb. I have been against drafting any USC product ever and my posting history backs that up but that dude when he is on is special. Even if we have to give back the 2 for Montez it’s worth it in my opinion. 

Yep I do get that. We are on the same page. I agree the Bears will not select Harrison number one overall. My angle is that they may be more likely than many think to pass up on Caleb and trade down with us so that we can have Caleb and they still get Harrison. That’s what I want to happen as well. I’m not sure I agree though that it’s a lock that the QBs go 1–2–3. Arizona or some other team could covet Harrison more than one of the QBs, so the Bears would be taking a risk trading any further down than to number two if they want to make sure they get him. 

4 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I was going to bring this up, the whole concept is really too silly to keep discussing. 

If I'm Chicago and I've decided to stick with Fields and I'm actually hearing form NE and Washington that they are not going to make any offer for a trade up, you can bet I'm listening to other offers (would listen anyway, of course). Can you imagine what offers Atlanta, Vegas, Denver and others might come up with for Caleb Williams? If I have to "settle" for Nabers or Odunze and load up on picks and players, I don't love Harrison so much that I don't consider it. 

In that scenario Washington and NE don't get the Abs they really wanted, but they can have a beverage and celebrate their resolve.

"Boy, we sure called their bluff, didn't we?"

"Sure did, brother. Sure did."

Granted we're assuming they would want Harrison, who seems almost as wanted as Williams  and not to settle for someone else.  I mean of the top four teams; the Bears, us, the Pats and the Cards the only ones who aren't expected to be interested in Williams are the Cards and the only ones not into Harrison are the Pats

Because as it plays out the way people are theorizing if the Bears drop to 3 to allow the Pats to pick Williams they are obviously not going QB.  So we could drop to 4 with the Cards and let them pick Harrison and still get Maye, at least partially screwing the Bears

• Like 1

If the Patriots beat the Jets they’re likely going to be picking #4 and the Cards #3 (assuming Cards lose to Seattle, which isn’t a lock). 

In that scenario, the Bears would definitely think twice about trading down with NE because the Cards could easily take Harrison at 3. In fact that’s probably a likely pick for them. So Chicago either goes QB at 1 or trades with us at 2, but it would be hard to see a scenario in which they trade from 1-4 and still get MHJ. 

1 minute ago, MrJL said:

Granted we're assuming they would want Harrison, who seems almost as wanted as Williams  and not to settle for someone else.  I mean of the top four teams; the Bears, us, the Pats and the Cards the only ones who aren't expected to be interested in Williams are the Cards and the only ones not into Harrison are the Pats

Because as it plays out the way people are theorizing if the Bears drop to 3 to allow the Pats to pick Williams they are obviously not going QB.  So we could drop to 4 with the Cards and let them pick Harrison and still get Maye, at least partially screwing the Bears

Good points. It’ll depend on the draft order too. If the Cards are at 3, however, that takes the scenario out of the mix. Which is why I doubt the Bears would trade back beyond 2 if they were married to MHJ. They control in the sense that trade swapping with us guarantees them “their guy” … going any further back opens them up to all sorts of scenarios that could go against them. 

• Like 1