Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Yeah. I have watched him. And I would take him over any of next years class of QB's. Penix as well. 

I like penix more than nix, penix throws a beautiful deep ball that looks so good, probably because he is a lefty is why it looks good. He did start to struggle just a little bit later in the season. I like nix but he reminds me a lot of Howell in both size stature and ability and skillset while having the same deficiencies. I don't see the point in pairing both of them together if you still like sam, not enough upside. Though I do like bo nix a little more at this point=more cheap years than Sam would have

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

FYI Fred Smoot, who I basically loathe as a media personality was on the post game show saying “fans don’t want to lose! Nobody wants to lose!”

I think we need to send him a link to this thread and many like it on other sites.

We are rooting for the losses to pile up.  

Fred can be a fun guy to listen to, but I don't recall ever hearing anything insightful from him. 

BTW, this is a good example of what we get in the media and that people keep repeating because they hear it there. The talking head class in pro sports is ex-players and coaches. When we get in discussions like this, these guys are talking about what they have always known. Which is, win. Win every game. It benefits coaches and players zero to lose games and improve draft position. So they go on and on about "you play to win the game" and "the culture of winning" like going 6-11 has some enormous long-term benefit over going 4-13. 

It's why in 2011 ESPN was filled wit discussions about how the Colts would be "stupid" to lose their final game and get Andrew Luck. Somehow them winning that third game carried some huge importance that far outweighed having a franchise QB going forward. 

Then fans repeat it because they hear it over and over on these shows on TV and radio. If the talk was dominated by scouts and GMs, likely the talk they hear would be different. 

Edited by Rufus T Firefly
  • Like 4

56 minutes ago, Forehead said:

Zach Wilson went out with a concussion.  Are we bad enough to make *checks notes* Trevor Siemian look good?

image.gif.1aa7fa364a6dbfb76c263bd65207f9a2.gif

2 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I know exactly what body part you're talking about:

You might want to edit that, if you look at it long enough it violates the profanity filter.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Conn said:

If he is, it won’t be because of anything you’re saying. It’ll be because he isn’t good enough, not because he’s ****y and paints his nails and likes money and doesn’t want to play for a loser lol

I’ve watched him all year has nothing about anything you said that kid is not ready for professional football period.

On 12/15/2023 at 5:20 PM, dunfer said:

If we had trent , brandon and moses...what would our record be?

Offensively wed probably be up there with '15 cousins year where we could move and score at will. defense just sucked...hope the new staff can find some pitbulls at LB.

I'm expecting a franchise left tackle.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Fred can be a fun guy to listen to, but I don't recall ever hearing anything insightful from him. 

Whaaaa. More insightful words have never been spoken

Fred Smoot

"Fat boys wins my game. I know football, and in December, in the playoffs, fat boys win. Whoever's got the best fat boys is gonna win, so I'm gonna collect fat boys. I can find Fred Smoots -- not a dime a dozen, but I can find cornerbacks that can make plays. I can find that. I can't find a big boy that can push this line for four quarters."

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

15 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

As my family is from Michigan I follow the Lions and am very happy for their success. But I sure don't think Gibbs was the right pick, do you?  They could have had Jalen Carter or others instead they took a RB where they could have found a similar back later in the draft.  

I think Gibbs is special, and agree that in general, how they handled round 1 was utterly bizarre, they seemed to perfectly handle TE allocation of resources (trading away the right to sign Hockenson for great expense, and then drafting a better player at a much cheaper cost to replace him in round 2), but then to use round 1 picks on LB's and RB's was utterly inexplicable. It's an example of where you can do things wrong and benefit anyway, in the short term. Gibbs was one of 2 super dynamic locked in explosive backs. They moved on from Swift (who was that, but couldn't stay healthy), and brought him in to replace that passing game chops/dynamism in the open field angle. It was a ridiculous overdraft and use of draft capital (consider if they'd gotten Achane instead at a huge draft capital discount?), but there's no denying how huge an asset he is to the offense over the next 5 years, and really, do they have a longer time horizon? The coach and the GM? no. The fans do, but they don't. The LB, I can't get with that, seemed like a need move, but the home run was landing the #1 TE in football with 2nd round draft capital cap hit from '23-'26. WOW is that amazing.

Now if they could just turn around Jameson Williams, my god could that offense be explosive. But the defense is an abject disaster, so they aren't winning anything for now. It will be an interesting build, to try and figure out how to address that issue. 

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

FYI Fred Smoot, who I basically loathe as a media personality was on the post game show saying “fans don’t want to lose! Nobody wants to lose!”

I think we need to send him a link to this thread and many like it on other sites.

We are rooting for the losses to pile up.  

After nearly 30 years of arguing with delusional short term fan thinking, I think Smoot is right. Most fans are brain dead chuckleheads that never think about how consequential wins are, in a negative sense, in lost seasons. Even today, where fans are more aware than ever before of the value of the draft, most are short term thinkers. Antique fan things like message boards are not reflective of the generalized fan base. I'd like to think fans are sharper, but I think most overrate chemistry, culture and momentum from winning and underrate how critical game changing talent on the field talent is. 

Everything is lining up nicely. Patriots and Cards with the higher SOS. Both have somewhat winnable games still on their schedule (Jets and Bears respectively). There is definitely a chance at a Top-2 pick. But I fear we will beat the Jets and get jumped by a couple of teams (Chargers, Giants, Jets, Bears who all have lower SOS at the moment) and then pick 5th or 6th or something like that. I want to give the new guys the best possible start to their tenure and I fear we are not going to do that.