Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

49 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

The team is not contending for anything in 24, so if we're trading down, getting a 1st in 25 is better than a 2nd now no matter who it's from. 

But it does make sense to target certain teams for such a deal, if there are options. Using the current top 12 as an example, obviously doing it with a team besides the Jets, and maybe the Chargers, would make sense. 

You don't have to tell me twice lol, I have NEVER bought the bull---- idea that a pick now is more valuable than a pick later. That's always been utter nonsense. Of course it is that way for GM's, they have to worry about their paycheck. Not us, we're lifers, been following this team since 1979-1980, what matters more is the quality of the class, not when you can use the pick acquired (except when you bundle in things like a QB on a rookie contract, but that's another story). So yeah, if it's a 2nd this year, or a 1st in '25, I take the first unless I really, really, really don't like the quality of that '25 class. I don't know much about it right now beyond it's got to be better at RB than this one, but its definitely not better at QB or WR, but beyond that, I don't know squat about it. But yeah, normally, all other things equal, give me the future first over the present 2nd, especially if the future 1st belongs to a delusional team. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@The Consigliere

There is a huge difference in a rebuild that needs a QB and one that doesn't.

We got bigger problems if Howell aint the guy then trying to figure out how to do something about it this offseason.  He's literally a selling point in getting folks to come here this offseason.

I'm sure enough to go forward with him, if your not, we're talking about very different rebuilds.  Having high picks and lots of cap space is a very different situation with or without a QB already.

• Thumb up 2

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Quinn Ewers is prospect #52. Maybe he stays at Texas, but he's got Arch on his heels and may come out. Michael Penix, Jr. is #49. Bo Nix is #50.

Bo Nix intrigues me and I'd have no problem grabbing him in round 2 if we can trade back and still grab him plus an extra pick. That would be my preference if the new GM isn't totally sold on Sam.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

We aren't talking about QB at all on the list of priorities. Maybe the new FO doesn't prioritize it and signs a cheap-ish backup in the off-season. OR maybe they prefer to use a 5th/6th rounder on a backup ala a Aidan O'Connell type.

But it is inevitable that a QB will fall at some point, and if there's a QB there in the 2nd I wouldn't be surprised if our new FO goes after one, not just to be backup, but to push Sam and be a solid Plan B should things go sideways in 2024. CBSSports has 7 QBs in the top 52 and 13 QBs in the Top 100. 

Quinn Ewers is prospect #52. Maybe he stays at Texas, but he's got Arch on his heels and may come out. Michael Penix, Jr. is #49. Bo Nix is #50.

If we are sitting there having drafted an OT and DE with our 2nd round pick coming up, would it shock anyone if we wennt with Ewers, Penix or Nix there with our 2nd #2?

The new FO is hopefully going to make their own determination on Sam Howell. Maybe they think he's "the guy" and we go grab some 5th rounder (someone from the Top 100 at QB will fall, there aren't going to be 13 QBs drafted in the first 3 rounds. Maybe we sign a career backup who we know won't win games if called upon, unlike this year when we felt we had to get Brissett with Howell being a total unknown.

But one thing is for certain, we NEED 1-2 QBs on this roster with Sam being the only one on the roster once the new year starts. So whether it's a combo of vet backup or early-to-mid round QB, someone is going to need to be added. And it'll be interesting to see the pedigree of the person added, as I think it could be telling re: what the new FO thinks about Howell. 

I would say QB is not a need. You have to go BPA there if you have no other player left that you like at the particular spot. Has anyone brought up Brissett yet for next year? They could keep him as the backup if he is not able to get a better gig somewhere else. We would still need a vet as the backup though. 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, The Consigliere said:

Depends though. For now, I'm pretty nervous we win 1 of the Rams-Jets-Dolphins games, and the Cowboys rest their starters during the season finale, pushing us up to 6 wins, and likely out of the happy dance zone of the top 4-5.  On the plus side, I think another 2 QB's, possibly 3 end up sliding in between 5-15, which would push talent to us, if we went away from QB. 

Will see.  I think we win one more tops.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Alt would lockdown RT for the next decade. Could be our version of Lane Johnson. 

Get the LT AND RT in the draft with our top two picks if the right tackle  in round 2 is viewed as an immediate starter. Use free agency on the best interior lineman you can or even two of them and then fill in as best you can with the rest of the draft and free agent $$$$$. It CAN be a quick turnaround with the right personnel decisions starting with the right GM. 

Also, bring in a name skill player or two if we can get them. I really like Zac Moss as a RB addition. He runs hard and has quickness. MIchael Pittman and Noah Brown as taller WR's to replace Samuel and improve the redzone targets with size.

Here's a site with the top ten free agents at every position for the as of today class of 2024:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2024-free-agency-primer-best-free-agents-every-position