Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread ~ Commanders vs. Da Bears - Got Mauled By The Bears!!!

zCommander

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

To you, maybe, this sounds like we aren't used to having a QB worth developing.

We can get in and still let Ron go if he doesn't win a playoff game in 4 years.

And if we win a playoff game, still fire him?  When's last time most of the board agreed with firing HC only for them to win a playoff game to buy them more time.

We don't have to root for losses here, this will take care of itself.

I feel like the playoff ship has sailed.  Not in a reactionary, emotional way either.

Both sides of the ball are terrible.  Sure, there are glimmers of hope with Sam, but it’s pretty obvious the offense as a whole isn’t talented enough to be consistently good.  The defense is the worst we’ve seen in ages and JDR is still employed last I checked.

I’m sure we will get some hallmark play with heart wins where we compete and win and take ourselves out of prime draft position, but playoffs seems a real stretch given what we are seeing.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

To you, maybe, this sounds like we aren't used to having a QB worth developing.

We can get in and still let Ron go if he doesn't win a playoff game in 4 years.

And if we win a playoff game, still fire him?  When's last time most of the board agreed with firing HC only for them to win a playoff game to buy them more time.

We don't have to root for losses here, this will take care of itself.

Dude, stop talking about the playoffs.  :ols: 

This was never a playoff roster or coaching staff.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Really fun reading the first sentence at the bottom of a post and then reading the second sentence immediately after that.

Gotta re-stress the painfully obvious stuff in the spirit of ridicule. 🙂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Dude, stop talking about the playoffs.  :ols: 

This was never a playoff roster or coaching staff.

Tell that **** to Magic.

That dude is an all-time great for a reason, he fn HATES losing...having someone like that as part of ownership is invaluable...could see how pissed he was everytime he was in camera last night...

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I feel like the playoff ship has sailed.  Not in a reactionary, emotional way either.

Both sides of the ball are terrible.  Sure, there are glimmers of hope with Sam, but it’s pretty obvious the offense as a whole isn’t talented enough to be consistently good.  The defense is the worst we’ve seen in ages and JDR is still employed last I checked.

I’m sure we will get some hallmark play with heart wins where we compete and win and take ourselves out of prime draft position, but playoffs seems a real stretch given what we are seeing.

We do this almost every year, write them off, they get hot enough, and either stay hot to get in or get a reality check and jus too big a hole to overcome.

This isn't to totally blow off your post, we're jus so inconsistent they could play like they did against Philly and best a couple teams or play like they did against the Bears and not beat anyone. 

I picked 9-8 for a reason before season started.

Edited by Renegade7

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't think there is someone here who has blasted Ron in the last few months more than me.

But as they are talking about on the Junkies right now, and the Junkies hate Ron, you don't typically fire a HC in your first season as an owner let alone this early after a 2-3 season start.

@method man explained, as much as it would feel good emotionally to us.  It wouldn't be the best look for Harris around the league, looking to make an impression to get that next big time HC, FO guy.  

I am not in the camp that want Bieniemy to be the next HC.  I want a wide search.  I want a new FO guy to do the search.  To do all of that, it wouldn't work that way right now.  

Also as Keim said, don't expect it to happen.  They've already decided to let the season play out and judge.  Unless something changed after last night.

Appreciate all of your insight. My worry is that this staff is jeopardizing Sam Howell's health by exposing him to countless hits in an attempt to win and save their own jobs. It's also clear that they've now created a mess with Forbes by exposing him against some of the best WR's in the league. If they don't feel like they can fire RR than fine, at least move on from JDR and his failed defense. 

Did I read it right where Howell attempted 55 straight passes last night without a running play mixed in? If true, that's brutal. Gotta believe he's not gonna make it through the season at that rate behind this offensive line. 

• Like 1

Tell that **** to Magic.

That dude is an all-time great for a reason, he fn HATES losing...having someone like that as part of ownership is invaluable...could see how pissed he was everytime he was in camera last night...

Magic hasn’t been about that in 30 years. He’s here to make money, that’s all. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

Tell that **** to Magic.

I loved that Magic called the team out. He wasn't insulting or condescending. Just matter of fact. But this roster and this staff is not playoff quality. It's just not. This ownership group want to win, which is a great thing. It's not going to happen with this team.

On the flip side, I liked that Harris was jovial and enjoying himself in his box last night. He won't me impetuous and emotional.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

Appreciate all of your insight. My worry is that this staff is jeopardizing Sam Howell's health by exposing him to countless hits in an attempt to win and save their own jobs. It's also clear that they've now created a mess with Forbes by exposing him against some of the best WR's in the league. If they don't feel like they can fire RR than fine, at least move on from JDR and his failed defense. 

Did I read it right where Howell attempted 55 straight passes last night without a running play mixed in? If true, that's brutal. Gotta believe he's not gonna make it through the season at that rate behind this offensive line. 

Howell is still a work in progress, I've liked more than I don't like.  I think he has a shot.  And I agree they are going to get him killed.  Going 3-5 step drops and passing the ball in games that are already lost feels irresponsible -- they are going to get him killed.  

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

We do this almost every year, write them off, they get hot enough, and either stay hot or get in or get a reality check and jus too big a hole to overcome.

This isn't to totally blow off your post, we're jus so inconsistent they could play like they did against Philly and best a couple teams or play like they did against the Bears and not beat anyone. 

I picked 9-8 for a reason before season started.

I get that.

Thats why I added the line about a few heart wins to pretend things are interesting only to regress to the mean again.

I don’t want to be interested.  I just dropped cash on two tix and parking for my son and I to the Giants game on Nov. 19th, earlier yesterday.  Feels like I lit $300 on fire.  Zero interest in watching more of this and being teased by a pretend run.  Good teams don’t get the ever loving crap beat out of them at home like this, by the best and worst teams.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don’t want to be interested.  I just dropped cash on two tix and parking for my son and I to the Giants game on the 29th, earlier yesterday.  Feels like I lit $300 on fire.  Zero interest in watching more of this and being teased by a pretend run.  Good teams don’t get the ever loving crap beat out of them at home like this, by the best and worst teams.

I understand.

I mentioned in game day thread today is my Dad's birthday and he was considering him and i get club seats for this game.

It's always different when you end up paying to see something like last night in person...

Just now, Renegade7 said:

I understand.

I mentioned in game day thread today is my Dad's birthday and he was considering him and i get club seats for this game.

It's always different when you end up paying to see something like last night in person...

Thank goodness you didn’t pull the trigger.  Imagine sitting in hours of rush hour traffic only to watch that pile of 💩.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I get that.

Thats why I added the line about a few heart wins to pretend things are interesting only to regress to the mean again.

I don’t want to be interested.  I just dropped cash on two tix and parking for my son and I to the Giants game on the 29th, earlier yesterday.  Feels like I lit $300 on fire.  Zero interest in watching more of this and being teased by a pretend run.  Good teams don’t get the ever loving crap beat out of them at home like this, by the best and worst teams.

There is a reason for that...

But, I'll tell you what, even though we got drubbed, I had a blast last night. I thought the stadium was loud--even into the 4th Q.

• Like 1

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

There is a reason for that...

But, I'll tell you what, even though we got drubbed, I had a blast last night. I thought the stadium was loud--even into the 4th Q.

Perhaps it’s my BFS and Fed Ex Field PTSD, but I’ve walked out of that joint dejected so many times, only to sit in bumper to bumper traffic that innately won’t allow me to hit purchase for a prime time game.

I sat in hours of bumper to bumper rush hour traffic, that ate up all tailgating time, for the Monday Night Massacre in 2010.  That was the last prime time game I ever thought of attending.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Perhaps it’s my BFS and Fed Ex Field PTSD, but I’ve walked out of that joint dejected so many times, only to sit in bumper to bumper traffic that innately won’t allow me to hit purchase for a prime time game.

That's the other thing. We left after Moores last TD, to make it 37 and cruised out. Whatever Harris did to make it easier to get in and out worked

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm with KB. Way too many people on here are letting the offense off the hook. They might not have been as bad as the defense but they were close. Most of the production was in the 2nd half when the competitive portion of the game was effectively over.

And I'm with you but I'd add a note about d-line: Why does everyone throw roses at Allen and Payne? Do they really live up to their draft value? I don't see it in any consistent fashion. Slightly above average run stoppers, very average pass rushers. Overall legacy is mediocre. 

Forget about Young and Sweat. Ridiculous underachievers, both of them. Totally expendable. No true impact, no speed, no urgency. Consistently impotent. 

32 minutes ago, Chachie said:

And I'm with you but I'd add a note about d-line: Why does everyone throw roses at Allen and Payne? Do they really live up to their draft value? I don't see it in any consistent fashion. Slightly above average run stoppers, very average pass rushers. Overall legacy is mediocre. 

It goes against popular thought, but I’d be lying if I’m not always thinking what’s the point of allotting this kind of money to guys who don’t show out every single week.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

@Skinsinparadise I’m dropping my guess at wins from 10-7 to 6-11.  

The reason is I didn’t expect the defense to be anywhere near as bad as they are and I don’t see it changing this year.  I get that it has gotten better in years past.  This year, I’m not sure it will.  

So while I think the QB play is much better overall, OL might be the same, might actually be a little worse, the defense is a complete and total train wreck.  I didn’t see that coming.  

Can’t win with that. 

So I’m dumping 10-7 for 6-11.

I wish I wrote down the post #/page # where I wrote down my expectations, but from what I remember I was:

Ceiling: 8-9 wins

Expectation: 5-7 wins

Floor: 4-5 wins

Something like that. I didn't have a very high ceiling because the schedule was brutal going in based on last year's performances and the various expectations people had based upon offseasons. 

As is, the schedule remains brutal, we grabbed two against the odds comeback wins to screw up potential totals, but the schedule remains brutal as hell.

When I look at the schedule, there are certainly some games where I think we've got a chance to a strong chance of winning:

50% or more>

Home: NYG

Home: Dallas (season finale where they start scrubs  like last year?)

45% or less>

@NYG

@Atl

@NEP

@LAR

@ Jets

For me, it looks like we probably win 1-4 more games. 

I would suspect we'll finish somewhere between 4-13 and 6-11 and out of the bluechip QB zone. The only thing that potentially saves us in that area is if Chicago lands the top 2 picks. Then maybe they trade out of 1. 

The weird thing is, Howell remains, fine, uneven, mistakes, inconsistency, the line sucks, he doesn't help the line, both are true, but he's basically now produced 5 solid or better starts in 6 games for a bottom 5-15 team in the league. That's crazy good all things considered.

Meanwhile we've wasted a mountain of draft capital and free agent $$$ on a defense that went from pretty damn good a few years ago to straight up ---- now. The comically stupid wasted 1sts on Forbes and Jamin were particularly criminal. The way this team has consistently wrecked draft capital on day 1 and day 2 with reach picks is extraordinary. After a decade of misses in the 90's, and general incompetence and mismanagement in the Cerrato years, we finally became around average with our picks last decade, and even now we are typically doing reasonably well, especially on day 3, but we still don't understand draft capital value on day 1 and consistently waste our picks on reaches both talent wise, and positional. Infuriating.

The only good news is that this crew is going to get ejected barring a miracle turn around in December which is possible (the season wraps with two games that could be tanking after lost seasons (LA Rams, and NYJ), and two teams that might already be playoff locked in which case they might rest guys (SF, and Dallas). 

The bummer is that we'll have a new regime that will probably be faced by the same quandary Ron was faced with in '20. Do you move forward with the QB you inherited, or do you reboot considering there is no proven QB on the roster? My guess is they go with the latter which is 1000% what I wanted in 2020 and 100% agree with now philosophically. Sam looks infinitely better than the late Haskins did 4 years ago, but I doubt a coach is comfortable with that. Only thing that might change their mind is draft positioning and the reality that the OL sucks. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It goes against popular thought, but I’d be lying if I’m not always thinking what’s the point of allotting this kind of money to guys who don’t show out every single week.

Excellent point. They make the same general salary as the Aaron Donalds of this league. That's some ridiculous logic. 

Kayvon Thibodeaux creates more havoc than both of them combined. 

Just now, Chachie said:

Excellent point. They make the same general salary as the Aaron Donalds of this league. That's some ridiculous logic. 

Kayvon Thibodeaux creates more havoc than both of them combined. 

They flash and have dominant performances time to time, particularly Payne last season.  

I think part of it is that everyone behind them is so bad, and our ends get taken out of plays, that the DT’s look worse than they are.

• Like 1

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

They flash and have dominant performances time to time, particularly Payne last season.  

I think part of it is that everyone behind them is so bad, and our ends get taken out of plays, that the DT’s look worse than they are.

Certainly could be the case but I'm just getting a little weary of putting them on a pedestal. I see better players out there who get half the respect and acclaim.