Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Game Prediction Thread - Week 5 - The Commanders vs. Da Bears

zCommander

If you've been a fan as long as I have, then you know a trap game when you see it. However, this is a team under new ownership, a team where culture is shifting in a positive direction. Regardless, it's still fairly difficult to get past the poor OL and defensive play by our team this season, and Justin Fields wasn't the same qb last week (yes, I know he crumpled like a tent late in the 4th and OT against Denver). He was actually competing and playing quite well in most of that game, which concerns me a great deal. I'm hoping we shut him down; yet, it's hard to forget our past and how we make a bad qb look like a pro bowler in games like these. You know, the "trap" games.

Comms 23

Bears 21

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

This is a pretty big game. It’s a pretty good chance to establish yourself as an upper middle class team in the NFL capable of a 10-11 win season. Teams like that should beat teams like the Bears. 

However, these type of “growth” games usually don’t go well around these parts. I really hope they try to come out and crush Chicago early. That team will likely quit if they’re down multiple scores early. Unfortunately, I don’t think that kind of “attack success” mentality is something that a Ron Rivera coached team has. They’ll let them hang and it’ll be decided late as usual. A win is a win of course but again, a statement 24-10 style win would be really really big. 

I don't think we're built to crush teams, honestly.  Our offense isn't a quick strike offense, and our defense hasn't been up to par to start the year.  If we win comfortably, I see it being something like 24-10, but I don't think it's going to be that easy.  Nothing ever is with this team.  I see it being a one score game for the most part.  I also think that Fields will be able to run around this defense, and that Eberflus will try to throw everything, including the kitchen sink at us to save his job.  If Fields has to get to 20+ carries to keep the Bears in the game, then that's what's going to happen.  I hope the DL and the LB's have their track shoes around, because I think Fields is going to get them tired with all the running he'll be doing tonight.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

If this team, 4 years in, does not dominate at home this Bears team, then we have issues.

We have issues already.  This team is not that much different from Year 1.  The only thing different about Year 4, is that we have a young promising QB.  I'm optimistic about Howell going forward.  I'm also intrigued by EB.  We've done something we haven't been able to do since 2015:  Score 30 Pts in 2 of our last 3 games.  There are some positives.  Other than that, the coaching on the defensive side is the same, our OL is much worse than it was in Rivera's first season and we still hold our breaths whenever our FG kicker attempts any kick outside of 30 Yds,

Edited by samy316

Just now, samy316 said:

We have issues already.  This team is not that much different from Year 1.  The only thing different about Year 4, is that we have a young promising QB.  I'm optimistic about Howell going forward.  I'm also intrigued by EB.  We've done something we haven't been able to do since 2015:  Score 30 Pts in 2 of our last 3 games.  There are some positives.  Other than that, the coaching on the defensive side is the same, and we still hold our breaths whenever our FG kicker attempts any kick inside of 30 Yds,

I realize we already have "issues", but there is still no excuse at this juncture for not running what is one of the worst teams in the league out of town. Yes Sam is a rookie but based on what he has shown so far he is not the issue. RR and co cannot excuse this game away if they dont show up.

• Like 1

21-17

2 hours ago, Drfustercluck said:

He was actually competing and playing quite well in most of that game, which concerns me a great deal. I'm hoping we shut him down; yet, it's hard to forget our past and how we make a bad qb look like a pro bowler in games like these. You know, the "trap" games.

Comms 23

Bears 21

bears are 8th in the leagues with run and pass plays over 10 yards. 

they get some big chunk plays and we gift the the ball a few times with turnovers, it might get ugly. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

If we lose tonight it's a Goodbye Rivera from me. 

He keeps his job for one more week 

Bears 13 

Redskins 30

Though I like the thought, I think for a number of reasons I would rather wait till the end of the year and then napalm the lot.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Man having to hear Sheehan try to hype up the Bears offense like its the 99 Greatest Show on Turf is just painful.

They are atrocious on all fronts.

His mantra is when everybody expects one team to win, the other team often surprises.  I doubt it but will see.

We don't need to just win. We need to win and actually look good and convincing. A 17-13 slugfest just means we're destined for another 5 win season.

This game is a precursor of things to come. If we win comfortably by double digits, then a 10 win season is possible.

• Like 3

• The Bears are the only remaining team to have all of their games go over the game total through four weeks.
  • Chicago has now allowed 25 or more points in an NFL record 14 consecutive games.
  • Washington is allowing a league-high 8.0 sacks plus turnovers per game.
  • Chicago is allowing 6.3 sacks plus turnovers per game, 30th in the league.
  • The Bears are averaging 1.0 sacks plus takeaways per game on defense, 31st in the NFL.
  • Washington has scored a touchdown on 1-of-18 drives when taking a sack.
  • The Commanders have scored a touchdown on 9-of-27 drives (33.3%) when they do not take a sack on the drive, fifth in the league.
  • Washington is allowing 5.5 scoring plays per game, 31st in the league.
  • 70.0% (14-of-20) of the scoring plays allowed by Chicago have been touchdowns, 30th in the league.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/fantasy/commanders-bears-week-5-fantasy-football-preview-worksheet-rich-hribar-2023/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A scared, desperate team and coach is always a scary thing...if the Commanders are not up for this one and match the intensity, it could become unnerving quickly.  Get on this team and get on them quick. If you let them hang around it will bite you.

We have seen this before.

Commanders locker room needs to be convinced, they are just as desperate and playing for their season also.  Do you really want to dwell with the Giants?  

Get fired up, strike fast and don't take your foot off the gas.  I am glad this is a home game.

Commanders - 27

Bears - 13

34 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Man having to hear Sheehan try to hype up the Bears offense like its the 99 Greatest Show on Turf is just painful.

They are atrocious on all fronts.

Ghostbusters Stop That on Make a GIF

Just now, RFK Lives said:

They mostly come out at night...mostly. 😄

Missed opportunity.

Bill Paxton GIF - Bill Paxton Aliens - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 3

I think it might be difficult to predict what caliber of Bears team Washington will be facing.  If the Bears think the contest they're  playing this week is for keeping their coach in place (and by extension the jobs of some of the players currently on that coach's roster), they might play above their normal level, and surprise Washington.  However the Bears coaching staff seems a little dysfunctional and may have already lost the locker room.

Meanwhile, Washington might take this game more lightly than they should.  Against the Eagles, they were trying to prove they aren't THAT team that looked dismal versus the Bills.  And now the media has been talking them up a bit ... they might start believing their news-clippings and come into the  game with  the same over-confident  mindset they had coming out of preseason and playin versus a poorly regarded Cardinals team.

I suspect Washington will win, but not look that sharp.  Chicago's defensive talent just isn't very good and won't be able prevent Washington's offense from exceeding whatever number of points, Washington's defense gives up to Fields' impromptu runs and the passes he completes to Kmet, and to whoever Forbes is covering.  I just hope Washington doesn't up too many turnovers and give the Bears some cheap points.

Washington 31  Chicago 27

Edited by Wyvern

I don't see the Bears rallying to save their coach. This isn't a Tomlin in Pittsburgh or Carroll in Seattle type situation. The guys are basically already on the verge of mutinying on Eberflus. The D Coord has already been fired and Fields has already thrown coaches under the bus. They also have no real leadership in that locker room.

If we jump out to like a 10-0 type lead, they'll pack it in and it could be a complete laughter. But of course if the game is kept close up to the 3rd quarter, well pro football players are competitors and will play hard to win.

• Like 1

We should absolutely win this game, be it by one FG or by 3 TDs. I just keep going back to last season on Thursday night where we had to win it very late with that goal line stoppage of a Bears WR. Right down to the wire.

Frankly, we haven't shown consistency yet and up until last week we've been slow to get rolling in games. We only seem to offer one good half of football.

I'm terrified but my prediction is 26-20, Commanders. 

Night game, mobile QB, Forbes covering DJ Moore, coming off an OT loss on a short week... and did I mention night game? Ugh. I'm stressed.

2 minutes ago, Chachie said:

We should absolutely win this game, be it by one FG or by 3 TDs. I just keep going back to last season on Thursday night where we had to win it very late with that goal line stoppage of a Bears WR. Right down to the wire.

Frankly, we haven't shown consistency yet and up until last week we've been slow to get rolling in games. We only seem to offer one good half of football.

I'm terrified but my prediction is 26-20, Commanders. 

Night game, mobile QB, Forbes covering DJ Moore, coming off an OT loss on a short week... and did I mention night game? Ugh. I'm stressed.

We've done well in night games in the Rivera era. 2-1 last year. 2-2 in 2021. 2-1 in 2020(the one loss being the playoff game).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1