Extremeskins

Senator Dianne Feinstein has passed away

Cooked Crack

• Cooked Crack changed the title to Senator Dianne Feinstein has passed away
9 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Quite a political legacy...

So Adam Schiff or Whiteboard Mom?

Or Barbara Lee.

Newsome is actually in a really tough position.  He probably doesn't want to put his thumb on the scale for the senate election, but he also can't leave the seat open or Biden can't get his judicial appointments and other routine business through.  

Although he should appoint one of the 3 main candidates already running for the seat, I guess he could potentially nominate a political ally to just be a rubber stamp for Dems until the election happens.  More likely is he has a good personal relationship with one of the candidates and picks them. 

Before her health breakdown, she was an ardent democrat (small d) who championed women's rights, voting rights, gun restrictions, and more. 

I wish she had retired several years ago because she became unable to participate fully. I feel the same way about McConnell, Grassley, and others up in years. I could say the same about Biden however his speech yesterday was outstanding and he's been a great president getting some good legislation passed for We the People before the House turned into a **** show. 

We definitely need the younger generations to step up and support our Constitution and republic. I'm speaking as a 72 year old who appreciates our young people.

• Like 9
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Or Barbara Lee.

Newsome is actually in a really tough position.  He probably doesn't want to put his thumb on the scale for the senate election, but he also can't leave the seat open or Biden can't get his judicial appointments and other routine business through.  

Although he should appoint one of the 3 main candidates already running for the seat, I guess he could potentially nominate a political ally to just be a rubber stamp for Dems until the election happens.  More likely is he has a good personal relationship with one of the candidates and picks them. 

Personally, I doubt he plays favorites and ends up choosing none of the above for the temp role.

But I do think the ends up picking a female to temporarily fill Sen Feinstein's roles. Newsom understands optics really well for a politician (other than the bday lunch during covid trip).  

Edited by The Evil Genius

22 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Personally, I doubt he plays favorites and ends up choosing none of the above for the temp role.

But I do think the ends up picking a female to temporarily fill Sen Feinstein's roles. Newsom understands optics really well for a politician (other than the bday lunch during covid trip).  

He has to have already decided, right?  It's not like Sen. Feinstein passing away took anyone by surprise. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Did she do something cool while she was in office?

I'm kinda embarrassed I know so little about her, but kinda weird first page is already dominated by her replacement and not anything she did.

She was a thorn in Woodrow Wilson’s side as he tried to make the case for US involvement in WW1.

• Haha 9

Rest in Peace -- she was not at all as progressive as CA became over the years.  

McConnell is going to use this to block Biden's judicial appointments.  Because he will allow a replacement Senator, but he won't seat anyone to replace her on the judicial committee.  I hope not, but that was why she wasn't resigning. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Rest in Peace -- she was not at all as progressive as CA became over the years.  

McConnell is going to use this to block Biden's judicial appointments.  Because he will allow a replacement Senator, but he won't seat anyone to replace her on the judicial committee.  I hope not, but that was why she wasn't resigning. 

It's not up to McConnell who gets put in her place on the Judiciary Committee.  The dems get to select her replacement.

Refer to p. 9 of the following:

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/RL/RL30743

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1