Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread: The Commanders vs. The Bills

zCommander

41 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Cardinals played with a lot of fight I thought.   We looked mediocre early and then they looked lost.  Hopefully this spanking is a wake up call.  

cant give up so many sacks and turnovers and expect to be competitive.  

When do we ever play with fight for 4 quarters?

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Conn said:

Can’t even feel joy at the Cowboys losing when we’re so bad/mediocre. I’m  sick of having to settle for rooting against our rivals and rooting for moral victories. Sick of it 

Agreed but it really points to my “you never know” theory.  I actually posted earlier this week in the prediction thread we would lose to the bills and inexplicably beat the Eagles because… that’s the most NFL thing that could happen.  

If they put forth the type of effort we saw today, that won’t come true.  

But the Texans beat the Jags and the cardinals beat the Cowboys.  Both the Texans and Cards are supposed to be 2 of the worst teams in the league and the Cowboys were possibly seen as the best, and the Jags were a chic pick to win their division and make noise in the playoffs.  

I agree, I’m not happier because Dallas lost.  

But I’m hoping this might be just the game that got away, and next week they look better.  Sometimes that happens. 

Though Ron’s handling of personnel and end of game situation is, in my opinion, a fireable offense.  Just leaving Howell out there to keep getting the snot kicked out of him when he was clearly rattled was a bad move. 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Conn said:

Can’t even feel joy at the Cowboys losing when we’re so bad/mediocre. I’m  sick of having to settle for rooting against our rivals and rooting for moral victories. Sick of it 

Dude we are 2-1 it was a bad day but don't give up yet

Edited by XxSpearheadxX
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

Chiefs replaced Wylie with Jawaan Taylor at RT. They gave him $60M guaranteed.

He was just benched at half time of week 3. Getting good OTs is hard.

Agree that’s part of the reason why some tackles over the years tend to at times go  higher than expected in the draft. It’s a premium position and the draft is the best ticket by a mile to get ‘em.

Interior O lineman IMO aren’t always hard to find in FA but good tackles are tough to find on the market 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

We are better than the Bears, Broncos, Cardinals, and Jets. Probably on par with the Falcons, Giants, Patriots.

We'll get drubbed by the Dolphins, 9ers, and probably the Cowboys and Eagles at least once, even though the Cowboys lost today.

4 minutes ago, zCommander said:

And that begs the question. Don't we have anyone on our 2nd string that could do better than a Whiley?

A metal folding chair a pass rusher might trip over.

• Thumb up 1

19 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Feel like a broken record saying this, but good teams don’t get beat 37-3 at their house.

Season is over.  They aren’t 4-13 bad, of course - because that would be ideal.  They are likely to feast against the have-nots and maybe even pull off a big victory or 2 en route to an 8-9 campaign. Basically, the status quo Rivera season.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Feel like a broken record saying this, but good teams don’t get beat 37-3 at their house.

Season is over.  They aren’t 4-13 bad, of course - because that would be ideal.  They are likely to feast against the have-nots and maybe even pull off a big victory or 2 en route to an 8-9 campaign. Basically, the status quo Rivera season.

My exact sentiments

• Like 1

I couldn’t participate in the thread today but I’m sure it was just as rational and even-keeled as normal.    

😄 

56 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Sometimes they do this early in the season.  I’m certainly not happy about the ugly loss today but we are far from toast.  Today nothing went right.  The game just got away from them.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The Vikings lost at home to the Cowboys last year by a score similar to 37-3. They ended up winning 13 games. 

Weird things can happen, especially early in a season. Look at today's games.

The Ravens lost at home to a Colts team projected by many to be a bottom 5 team. WITHOUT their starting QB.

The Jaguars, a projected division winner and a team that won a playoff game last year, got routed at home by the Texans, another projected bottom 5 team.

The Cowboys lost to the Cardinals. People had the Cowboys as possibly the best team in the league and Cards possibly the worst. Cards led wire to wire and won by double digits.

I'm not saying we'll be a good team, but I don't think we're as bad as we looked today. We aren't as good as the Bills obviously, but I don't think we're suddenly some 4 win dog doo doo team. Most likely we'll be in that 9 win range and fighting for the 6-7 seed in the NFC. 

• Thumb up 5

1 minute ago, Commander PK said:

At the end of the day they lost a game that most people expected them to lose.  We are 2-1 after 3 weeks.  They have plenty of time to improve and have a meaningful season.  The loss was ugly but whether it was 37-3 or 10-7 it still only counts as one loss.   

The one thing I'll say is typically when teams get crushed this bad, they come out and play MUCH better the next week. This coupled with the Eagles playing on a short week(they play MNF tomorrow) means we might be in a better position to pull the upset.

• Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The Vikings lost at home to the Cowboys last year by a score similar to 37-3. They ended up winning 13 games. 

Weird things can happen, especially early in a season. Look at today's games.

The Ravens lost at home to a Colts team projected by many to be a bottom 5 team. WITHOUT their starting QB.

The Jaguars, a projected division winner and a team that won a playoff game last year, got routed at home by the Texans, another projected bottom 5 team.

The Cowboys lost to the Cardinals. People had the Cowboys as possibly the best team in the league and Cards possibly the worst. Cards led wire to wire and won by double digits.

I'm not saying we'll be a good team, but I don't think we're as bad as we looked today. We aren't as good as the Bills obviously, but I don't think we're suddenly some 4 win dog doo doo team. Most likely we'll be in that 9 win range and fighting for the 6-7 seed in the NFC. 

I love the optimism but tempered by just how mediocre and uninspiring Rivera is, and how bland his record is (he's a .500 coach after 200 games)

I think 7-8 wins is this team, with another bad beating or two possible (Dolphins in Miami in December) 

there will also be a good upset win (like Philly last year)

Progress is all we want/need ahead of Rivera's almost inevitable firing in the off-season 

35 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The one thing I'll say is typically when teams get crushed this bad, they come out and play MUCH better the next week. This coupled with the Eagles playing on a short week(they play MNF tomorrow) means we might be in a better position to pull the upset.

You can lose to the Eagles and then win the next 3 after that and you will be sitting at 5-2 before you play them again. But that home game becomes a must win. I rather they figure out before next Sunday how to beat them in their house instead. 

17 minutes ago, zCommander said:

You can lose to the Eagles and then win the next 3 after that and you will be sitting at 5-2 before you play them again. But that home game becomes a must win. I rather they figure out before next Sunday how to beat them in their house instead. 

Agreed and I think that's what's gonna end up happening, but I expect us to put up a much better effort in Philly(division game and all that) and wouldn't be shocked at all if we pulled off the upset. The Eagles haven't actually looked quite as sharp as they did last year offensively.

20 minutes ago, Searchingforaqb said:

I love the optimism but tempered by just how mediocre and uninspiring Rivera is, and how bland his record is (he's a .500 coach after 200 games)

I think 7-8 wins is this team, with another bad beating or two possible (Dolphins in Miami in December) 

there will also be a good upset win (like Philly last year)

Progress is all we want/need ahead of Rivera's almost inevitable firing in the off-season 

7-8 wins is certainly a possibility, in fact a very likely one, but I do think this is a better team all around than the last couple of years.

The OL is what worries me more than anything else. Its as bad a unit as I've ever seen this franchise have in 20+ years. And that is definitely on Rivera I'll agree with you on that.

• Thumb up 1

10 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

There's a reason for that.

The 2-0 start was fun, the comeback against the Broncos was a blast. But this is a mediocre team with some fun elements, likeable players, and some pieces (none of which reside at the tackle position).

I think we're two good drafts and free agent classes away from being good. Assuming Howell is legit 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

There's a reason for that.

The 2-0 start was fun, the comeback against the Broncos was a blast. But this is a mediocre team with some fun elements, likeable players, and some pieces (none of which reside at the tackle position).

I think we're two good drafts and free agent classes away from being good. Assuming Howell is legit 

Yes that's true, although I will say that the Cardinals win is looking s little bit more impressive now after what they've done the last two weeks, almost beating the Giants, and then whopping on the Cowboys yesterday.  Cards are going to be a 4-5 win team with the chance to pick #1, that actually looks to be competing each and every week.  We're essentially a 7-9 win team, that needs a couple of drafts and FA classes to fix our O-Line and our LB corp.  I'm excited that it will be a new regime making these decisions going forward, after Ron and Co. is fired in January.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, samy316 said:

Yes that's true, although I will say that the Cardinals win is looking s little bit more impressive now after what they've done the last two weeks, almost beating the Giants, and then whopping on the Cowboys yesterday.  Cards are going to be a 4-5 win team with the chance to pick #1, that actually looks to be competing each and every week.  We're essentially a 7-9 win team, that needs a couple of drafts and FA classes to fix our O-Line and our LB corp.  I'm excited that it will be a new regime making these decisions going forward, after Ron and Co. is fired in January.

I think the Cards are buying in and actually getting better. They clearly caught the boys buying into themselves too much.

Getting blown out and seeing Denver lose so badly makes our wins seem irrelevant. Outside of putting points up on Denver, we've averaged 12 points in the other two games. 

39 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think the Cards are buying in and actually getting better. They clearly caught the boys buying into themselves too much.

Getting blown out and seeing Denver lose so badly makes our wins seem irrelevant. Outside of putting points up on Denver, we've averaged 12 points in the other two games. 

Yeah, it's going to be tough sledding when facing good teams like the Bills and Eagles.  We can probably do okay to well, against teams like the Falcons, Giants and Bears,  I shudder to think how we'll fare later this season when we have home games coming up against Miami and San Francisco.  It might make yesterday look like a walk in the park.