Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome New Owner Josh Harris

Dan T.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Nope. But at this rate he probably leaves for nothing anyway and he isn't really helping us win games with his disappearing act against good QBs/ OLs. 

I need to check the snap counts but I felt like I saw Toohill considerably more today than the last couple weeks like they were trying to protect chase from injury 

1 minute ago, Stihl89 said:

I need to check the snap counts but I felt like I saw Toohill considerably more today than the last couple weeks like they were trying to protect chase from injury 

To me it looked like Young was sandbagging and not playing as hard as he normally does to prevent being hurt. Almost like he knows he's getting traded and doesn't wanna jeopardize that.

• Like 4

Some coach, can’t remember who, said something like, we lost all those games with you, anybody is expendable.

We’re giving up 30 points a week with that front and generating no pressure. They’re all trade chips as far as I’m concerned. That entire defense needs to be retooled with a much better coordinator. Only guys I care about are Howell and Terry. Other than them, don’t let the door hit you…

Edited by lovemaskins
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, lovemaskins said:

Some coach, can’t remember who, said something like, we lost all those games with you, anybody is expendable.

We’re giving up 30 points a week with that front and generating no pressure. They’re all trade chips as far as I’m concerned. That entire defense needs to be retooled with a much better coordinator. Only guys I care about are Howell and Terry. Other than them, don’t let the door hit you…

Yup. I might add Curl to the list but yeah, trade anyone we can.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

He can go too, he’s no Derwin James / Minkah Fitzpatrick type of safety… Not knocking him, he’s solid, but we need playmakers… guys who affect football games. Chase is the only physical freak we have but he plays so undisciplined we need the right coach to leverage his talent.  He’s the only other player I’d potentially keep, contingent on smart coordinator.

oh look, Derwin James just picked off a pass and iced the game….smh…. We were supposed to draft him instead of Daron Payne… dumbass front office.

Edited by lovemaskins

10 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

Curl is solid and stabilizes us a bit, but he's not really a dynamic playmaker(yesterday's forced fumble aside). I wanna keep him too, but if he's trying to reset the market I'd let him walk. 

1 hour ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

I really hope this ownership group does something soon so it provides a sense of direction because it just looks like they're doing the same old crap which isn't leading to anything other than more losses.  

Rest assured they are going to be aggressive in bringing in great FO leadership and coaching. They are playing the long game

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

I would keep Curl at all costs. Could be the leader of the defense.

I don’t agree with “at all costs”. If he’s looking to reset the market essentially at SS then he can go test those waters in FA as far as I’m concerned. Like off-ball LB, unless a guy is truly great and creates turnovers it’s a low-value position to give a large chunk of cap space. Curl is a very good player. He isn’t worth top of the market S money to us imo. That would be overvaluing him (and he’s not exactly the perfect picture of health, either). 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Curl is like a Ryan Clark type. Solid and dependable player but not a game changer. I wanna keep him but you don't break the bank for a guy like that.

Yep agree. Not worth a top tier contract and I think that’s what he’ll want.

Edited by Est.1974

2 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

With the exception of guys like Terry, Jon Allen, Payne, and Brob, all guys are up for grabs

I would need a ton for Terry and it's way too hard to manage the cap to get a trade for him done now anyway. The others I would 100% be listening to offers on. I wouldn't want to trade both Allen and Payne, but a good enough offer I'm moving one of them no question. 

9 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Curl is solid and stabilizes us a bit, but he's not really a dynamic playmaker(yesterday's forced fumble aside). I wanna keep him too, but if he's trying to reset the market I'd let him walk. 

If this is the case, trade him before the deadline so we can get something for him.

1 hour ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

It's like the Over The Hill Gang all over again! This is what ol' George Allen did back in the 70s...made the team more competitive, yes...but only for a few years.

What present day move are you referencing/comparing to here

Edited by Conn

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/montez-sweat-trade-says-more-about-josh-harris-vision-than-it-does-ron-riveras/3457894/

Montez Sweat trade says more about Josh Harris' vision than it does Ron Rivera's

The NFL trade deadline on Tuesday taught Commanders fans a great deal about the new Josh Harris ownership group.

Harris didn’t pay $6.05 billion for the franchise to chase wild card playoff spots. Harris wants to compete for championships, even if that title chase may take time.

Trading Montez Sweat to Chicago in exchange for a 2024 second round pick doesn’t make Washington better for a Week 9 matchup in New England. It certainly doesn’t make Washington better for a Week 13 matchup against Miami.

Sweat is a good player, and he helps the Commanders now. Trading him away is about building for the future.

This has been the Harris plan in previous stops in other sports, most famously in Philadelphia where his 76ers enacted "the process," a series of moves to break down the basketball roster and then acquire high draft picks to build back a true title contender.

While the Sixers aren't title contenders quite yet, they're a perennial playoff team with a league MVP that seems like could be on the precipice. Washington hasn't been a perennial playoff team since the 1980s. Coincidentally or not, Washington hasn't acted with a long-term vision since that period either.

Under previous owner Dan Snyder the organization operated with a reactionary vision aimed at chasing playoff spots no matter what. It wasn't about titles. Remember the Kirk "Kurt" Cousins fiasco? It was haphazard and short-sighted.

Harris may not prove to be an NFL champion, time will tell, but he's already showing long-term vision.

The current version of the Commanders built by Ron Rivera is not a title contender. At 3-5, they're unlikely even a playoff team. There are some good pieces, but the group has shown zero consistency. Considering Rivera has not won a playoff game in his more than 3 seasons in Washington, some fans want him ousted now. Or at least defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio.

That's fine, there's some logic in those thoughts, but those staff changes will likely happen at some point. And they're less important than trading away Sweat.

At some point, Harris seems highly likely to make significant changes in the front office and on the coaching staff. The trade deadline, however, presented a finite period to make a move.

And Harris moved.

At present Washington now holds three picks in the top 45 of the 2024 NFL Draft, their own first and second-round picks in addition to the newly acquired selection from the Bears. Perhaps they'll add more, or package the picks to move up, or move back. There's a ton of options.

What does seem clear is that Harris is now acting on his instinct of building a championship team as he promised at his introductory press conference when he bought the team.

Trading away Sweat may sting a bit, he's been a good player and largely durable, but he also only had nine games remaining on his contract.

Even with Sweat, the Commanders have the 31st-ranked defense in points allowed through eight games. There are only 32 teams, so his departure can't make that much of a difference in the remaining nine contests.

But that's the point - this isn't about the remaining nine games. This is about the future. A future with Harris at the helm, not Snyder, and a future that may finally be looking bright.

• Like 1