Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome New Owner Josh Harris

Dan T.

I didn't listen to RG3's podcast but if you listen to Andy Pollin's podcast he talks about Josh Harris and his interview with RG3. Apart with Andy Pollin taking us through RG3's trying to get back into the league AGAIN and the knee injury AGAIN there is some new stuff including what might be done with turf at FEDEX and hiring of medical staff potentially right now. 

5 minutes ago, Conn said:

This should buy us more time to get GM figured out first (though some GM/HC’s come essentially as package deals nowadays so we’ll see how much effect this has on us)

I think we'll have a GM within days of the season ending and they'll have things informally lined up already.

This rule is good, but I wonder how it'll affect coordinators and FO hires.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think we'll have a GM within days of the season ending and they'll have things informally lined up already.

This rule is good, but I wonder how it'll affect coordinators and FO hires.

Given the rules we need to follow in hiring the GM, it would be difficult to have it lined up already and done so quickly—but I do feel confident they’ll have a well-researched and vetted short list ready to go, and that they’ll be a hot enough landing spot to get every interview they want. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Conn said:

Given the rules we need to follow in hiring the GM, it would be difficult to have it lined up already and done so quickly—but I do feel confident they’ll have a well-researched and vetted short list ready to go, and that they’ll be a hot enough landing spot to get every interview they want. 

I'm thinking Harris did a lot of hand shaking while he was still allowed to.

37 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm thinking Harris did a lot of hand shaking while he was still allowed to.

Possible. I tend to buy Harris’ story about the sale being so fraught and touch-and-go dealing with Snyder that he didn’t get a chance to do anything on the football/operations side. I believe Harris when he says he needs to learn the league, I don’t think the sale was far enough along last spring for him to have a fleshed out list of GM candidates, never mind a final choice in mind.

I do fully believe that if he’d gotten in earlier, the NFL would have hooked him up with any number of consultants if he wished and he’d have gone to town last spring. But as late as he got in, I’m skeptical he already has deals in place. After all, all the desirable GM candidates are working for other teams, I’m not sure he’d have been able to legitimately line anybody up (unless he’s going to do something semi-crazy like pair up a talent evaluator with a numbers guy from outside the sport). 

I do think he likely has a business VP type ready to take over for Wright or whoever ASAP though. And that person is probably putting together brain trusts and consultants etc. and building a list to pounce on later this season. 

But I doubt there’s any handshake deals in place for GM candidates who are currently working in NFL FO’s. As the anti-Snyder, Harris is also not going to want to immediately get into controversy with the Rooney Rule and such, it’s a bad look. We’ll probably have a very conventional interviewing and hiring process that casts a wide net, if I had to guess. But I expect it to move quickly when the time comes. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Conn said:

Possible. I tend to buy Harris’ story about the sale being so fraught and touch-and-go dealing with Snyder that he didn’t get a chance to do anything on the football/operations side. I believe Harris when he says he needs to learn the league, I don’t think the sale was far enough along last spring for him to have a fleshed out list of GM candidates, never mind a final choice in mind.

I do fully believe that if he’d gotten in earlier, the NFL would have hooked him up with any number of consultants if he wished and he’d have gone to town last spring. But as late as he got in, I’m skeptical he already has deals in place. After all, all the desirable GM candidates are working for other teams, I’m not sure he’d have been able to legitimately line anybody up (unless he’s going to do something semi-crazy like pair up a talent evaluator with a numbers guy from outside the sport). 

I do think he likely has a business VP type ready to take over for Wright or whoever ASAP though. And that person is probably putting together brain trusts and consultants etc. and building a list to pounce on later this season. 

But I doubt there’s any handshake deals in place for GM candidates who are currently working in NFL FO’s. As the anti-Snyder, Harris is also not going to want to immediately get into controversy with the Rooney Rule and such, it’s a bad look. We’ll probably have a very conventional interviewing and hiring process that casts a wide net, if I had to guess. But I expect it to move quickly when the time comes. 

Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean deal in place over a hand shake. I agree with everything you just said.

Belichick should go somewhere that has a franchise QB and a talented roster already, that needs basic foundational coaching improvement, not a progressive new age mastermind type. Somewhere that has no winning history or culture to speak of so that his legacy will allow a complete overhaul of the football culture with no questions or challenges to his methods. Somewhere that’s underachieved for so long that they’d follow him off a cliff for just a whiff of legitimacy and respect.

Los Angeles Chargers would be the perfect fit for him. Take 2-3 more stabs at a Super Bowl with Herbert (and likely fail), successfully take the all-time wins record down without pathetically backing into it in NE over a longer period of time. 

Edited by Conn

51 minutes ago, Conn said:

Belichick should go somewhere that has a franchise QB and a talented roster already, that needs basic foundational coaching improvement, not a progressive new age mastermind type. Somewhere that has no winning history or culture to speak of so that his legacy will allow a complete overhaul of the football culture with no questions or challenges to his methods. Somewhere that’s underachieved for so long that they’d follow him off a cliff for just a whiff of legitimacy and respect.

Los Angeles Chargers would be the perfect fit for him. Take 2-3 more stabs at a Super Bowl with Herbert (and likely fail), successfully take the all-time wins record down without pathetically backing into it in NE over a longer period of time. 

Bill should just retire.

Only some desperate owner would hire Bill. If Dan still owned the team, I could see him trying to lure Bill and he would give Bill the same power he gave to Ron.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Bill should just retire.

Only some desperate owner would hire Bill. If Dan still owned the team, I could see him trying to lure Bill and he would give Bill the same power he gave to Ron.

He’s not going to retire within spitting distance of the all-time coaching wins record. That would be surprising. So his best bet is to go somewhere that has the QB and the talented roster already and has already whiffed on a younger coach. He’d do fine with the Chargers for a couple years, he wouldn’t have time to mess up the roster before retiring. 

If the Chargers are smart they’ll try to be in the Ben Johnson sweepstakes, but it’s not like Spanos is known for making the best choices. 

On 10/14/2023 at 6:43 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

Last I checked his contract makes him very difficult to trade….

I know that’s not the point of the post or tweet, just a tangential thought.  

Difficult to release but not to trade. Teams would just need to pick up his contract. It's pretty big for a WR but if you think he makes the difference between making the POs and making a deep run they will pay it. 

I do not see them moving him but he could be traded if the price were right and they had a notion to do it and most important a motivated buyer. 

Here is what Sportrac has: 

image.thumb.png.1632417452285c20354d5e7ede31ef0c.png

At this point I think its pretty clear Josh will let Ron and company go at the end of the eason. I was on the keep him or let him go I don't care plan but I am much more in the let the entire staff and FO go. Let's just start over. If they do that, a couple of things that are a must in my opinion: 

1. Set up the proper structure - Josh hires a president (if he wants that role). They hire a GM. GM hires thier HC. GM and HC decide what kind of team they want and GM gets the players and HC gets his coaching staff. 

2. No retread HCs. Need to fresh faces. Someone new and hungry who can better relate to todays players. 

3. All players are on the table. That means all players. I see no one on this roster that screams, you jsut can;t let him go. Terry M is the closest.And maybe by end of year Sam joins that list. I really like Sam a lot. But not sure he is in keep at all cost category. 

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

Any faith I have in this ownership will be dashed if they hire a washed HC basically because of his past achievements. 

I have to agree. This would be a very bad sign. BB is not a good GM. And you know he would insist on being both like he is in NE. He had a great QB and a good system. But since losing the QB his teams have gotton worse each year. Looks like Tom B was a bigger part of NE being successful than BB. 

Eithr way, I do NOT want a HC retread. Get a GM who hired thier own HC. Someone young and very hungry. 

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Difficult to release but not to trade. Teams would just need to pick up his contract. It's pretty big for a WR but if you think he makes the difference between making the POs and making a deep run they will pay it. 

I do not see them moving him but he could be traded if the price were right and they had a notion to do it and most important a motivated buyer. 

Here is what Sportrac has: 

image.thumb.png.1632417452285c20354d5e7ede31ef0c.png

Yeah.  I dunno.  Maybe you're right.  But it would be tough.  At the very least, we would be responsible for all of the escalated signing bonus cost, so that's $17.8M against the cap immediately.  And that would be the 2023 cap assuming he's traded this year (which was the post I was responding to.)  That number might be low, though, because I'm not sure what parts of the Roster, Workout and whatever the Roster/GM cap hits would also accelerate to our cap. Maybe none.  I admit, I don't know how that works.  

I KNOW the signing bonus is 100% the responsibility of the signing team.  Because we already paid him the cash.  So we have to take that amount on the cap at some point.  

And there's no way to move that around, because we've already cut him the check.  Since we've paid him, we HAVE to take that money on our cap at some point.  

Ergo, I don't really think an in-season trade is possible.

Unless there are other moves they can make to clear cap room to do it.  Which, maybe there are if they are tearing everything to the studs.

I also personally wouldn't trade Terry.  He has a reasonable contract and is very good, and he is somebody you want to keep around and build around.

I'd trade the entire defense except for Allen and Payne, again, for cap reasons, I don't think they CAN trade either of them.  

Edited by Voice_of_Reason