Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome New Owner Josh Harris

Dan T.

1 minute ago, Conn said:

“Motivation” as in give players a reason to play hard and spend time studying and perfecting their craft? Maybe not. Motivate players to do things your way  in order to build your culture, creating a self-sustaining accountability and a focus on team-think? That is absolutely a coaching staff’s job. 

This is just what we see on game day, but it is absolutely bizarre how little Rivera engages with anyone on the sidelines, like he’s just there to observe on game day. The right word or question or affirmation to a player between series can be critical. It doesn’t matter how much faith you have in your assistant coaches, if you are setting the tone in the organization then you need to be present and intentional. Not passive and observational. Rivera has the demeanor of a team owner watching training camp as an outsider—not a HC leading his men into battle. I’m not talking about rah-rah yelling type **** or huge shows of emotion, either. Most of that theatrical stuff is bull****. I’m just talking about being present and being a resource for your players and coaches. The guy is a ghost haunting the sideline of his own career at this point. 

To me Mike Tomlin is how I picture a head coach's demeanor should be on the sidelines, he will get in peoples faces but not in rah rah yelling type, but everyone knows whos boss.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

He acts like Sam kicked his puppy. 

I'll admit that I was down on every move we made this offseason, to the point of it being over the top, but basically everything I feared came true.

Gates, Whylie and Barton are bad.

The draft was bad.

EB outside of maybe 6 good quarters has been bad

Howell would be fun, with lots of ups and downs.

I didn't see the coaches losing the locker room so fast and that seems to have happened and there is nothing we can do about it.

JDR lost his best coordinator and is handling parts of the HC role, despite Ron having two GM types and you definitely can't make EB the coach with the communication issues we've had.

Then reports of the players laughing at Chase  suggesting it's on the players when he spoke to the team at halftime, instead of Ron and the coaches.

I think Ron was the king of the castle under Dan, especially when it became clear that he had to sell and now it's already clearly over and you can't fire Ron mid season, and with the schedule about to become brutal, I can't imagine it getting much better.

I wasn't down on as many things as you were but I was down on most of it.  

Agree so far its been worse.  But I am still expecting some meaningless winning streak will happen at some point this season on their way to 8-9.

This Falcons game IMO is as code red to this season as that Tampa game was years ago for Jay.  If they lose that one, I'd have even more doubts about them beating the Giants.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree so far its been worse.  But I am still expecting some meaningless winning streak will happen at some point this season on their way to 8-9.

This Falcons game IMO is as code red to this season as that Tampa game was years ago for Jay.  If they lose that one, I'd have even more doubts about them beating the Giants.

If we don't win these next two, there is less than a 1% chance we see 8 wins.

Which is fine for me. Outside of game day, I'm in tank mode.

If EB and Ron, maybe even Jack, who the players supposedly do like, have lost the locker room, my 7-10 prediction will be lofty.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If we don't win these next two, there is less than a 1% chance we see 8 wins.

Which is fine for me. Outside of game day, I'm in tank mode.

If EB and Ron, maybe even Jack, who the players supposedly do like, have lost the locker room, my 7-10 prediction will be lofty.

The only games I see us as favorites going forward are the Giants games. However we know how those go and by then we may not even be favored then. I can absolutely see a path leading to 4-13 this season. Any wins will fall on the O putting up 30 points, I don't see the defense turning around. Atlanta game is going to go a long way to how the rest of the season plays out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris 44 said:

To me Mike Tomlin is how I picture a head coach's demeanor should be on the sidelines, he will get in peoples faces but not in rah rah yelling type, but everyone knows whos boss.

It helps when you have a pedigree of success to fall back on. Without that being a Hard A almost demands immediate success to work out.

When Mike Tomlin gets in your face... He's Mike Tomlin. That's not just some guy.

If your just a Hard A drill instructor w/ nothing to your name, you may get away with it when times are good, but you will get tuned out if players don't get their return on investment. You gotta earn that clout, otherwise you turn into Urban Myer real quick.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, HigSkin said:

FWIW, Jason Bishop on The Junkies this morning said he spoke to someone over at the park and asked how it was going.  "She" said they are all expecting major changes from top to bottom at the end of the season.  Could be why Harris looks so relaxed/casual.

Bishop was right as to knowing about the severity of Alex Smith's injury before anyone else.  And I gather was wrong about Mary Jo Wright recommending to Goodell that Dan should be voted out as owner or if he was right it never got verified. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Harris probably already has FO people/a GM type more or less in place but can't or won't formally hire him until season's end.

This would actually be pretty good in that the GM is already getting a good look at the players, researching personnel etc. Would have a huge head start in the process when the axe does eventually fall.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think it was @Voice_of_Reason who heard it could be the return of the king as HC and the GM just might be a surprise outside the box hire from the media world.

Actually, I would really love this.  It would be a clear indication from the universe everything I know and believe in is wrong, and would take it as a sign from above to evaluate all of my life choices.  Everybody needs clarity from time to time, and this would be that clarity.  

2 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

When Mike Tomlin gets in your face... He's Mike Tomlin. That's not just some guy.

Yeah, but he was that way BEFORE he was "Mike Tomlin - Coach extrodinare."  

Some people just have intrinsic leadership abilities and have the ability to command a room and attention.  And some don't.  Tomlin has it in spades.  So did Gibbs.  Neither guy is demonstrative.  But when they control every conversation they're part of, and it started before either of them were super well-known, winning provessions.

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

I have a trade proposition for you...give me two minutes

I mean, it makes so much sense.  Which other GM candidate could literally make every decision in 2 minutes based on stuff somebody else had said 5 minutes prior?  I can't think of any!  

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think we’re already beyond code red.

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

I think we’re already beyond code red.

I think they are capable of winning the next 2 and if they do that they'd buy some time.  No matter what I think Ron is gone unless they have some miracle run -- but I am just talking about the vibe in season.  If they lose to the Falcons, I think the negativity which is high right now would get epically high.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think they are capable of winning the next 2 and if they do that they'd buy some time.  No matter what I think Ron is gone unless they have some miracle run -- but I am just talking about the vibe in season.  If they lose to the Falcons, I think the negativity which is high right now would get epically high.

Ron is sounding like a man who knows he’s done. That’s already filtering through the organisation IMO. Harris may need to act soon.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Some people just have intrinsic leadership abilities and have the ability to command a room and attention.  And some don't.  Tomlin has it in spades.  So did Gibbs.  Neither guy is demonstrative.  But when they control every conversation they're part of, and it started before either of them were super well-known, winning provessions.

Yup, and Lombardi remains the best example of that. None of those future HOF players (Starr, Hornung, Nitschke, Adderley, Gregg, etc.) were even drafted by him. The previous regime which included a coach who went 1-10-1 (as a newspaper said they "overwhelmed one opponent, underwhelmed ten, and whelmed one") drafted most of those guys between 1955-58...it took a guy like Lombardi to turn them into winners.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Ron is sounding like a man who knows he’s done. That’s already filtering through the organisation IMO. Harris may need to act soon.

Personally, fire him now. Let EB or JDR finish the season. You get a look at EB (ya know..the guy who was too hard on players) you "tank" and get a high pick, trade assets NOW for DP's in 2024 (Young AND Sweat). play some young guys and see if there is a diamond there. Absolutely no downside set setting up for 2024 NOW. I can't watch Ron slowly dying on the sidelines..that is cruel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

I don’t know that I would—bottoming out for a top-5 pick while giving the appearance of epic-level patience is a win across the board. Let Rivera bury himself, his culture is dead.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Conn said:

I don’t know that I would—bottoming out for a top-5 pick while giving the appearance of epic-level patience is a win across the board. Let Rivera bury himself, his culture is dead.

I dont think Rivera bottoms out is the problem

5 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

I dont think Rivera bottoms out is the problem

The post I was responding to said that Rivera sounds like a man who has given up—and that it would filter through the organization in a bad way. That’s the hypothetical I was responding to. They won’t claw their way to .500 in mediocre fashion if that’s the vibe in the building, they’ll crater. That’s the dream scenario (although I think it’s unlikely and these guys probably keep playing for each other). 

18 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think they are capable of winning the next 2 and if they do that they'd buy some time. 

I agree, but they are also very capable of losing the next 2....if they do then it has to be over for RR and JDR after the third straight loss. Promote EB and evaluate him for the remainder of the season. Use the trade deadline to try and get picks and off-load guys we don't have plans for (Gibson, Logan Thomas, Brissett, Fuller, Samuel). 

4 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I agree, but they are also very capable of losing the next 2....if they do then it has to be over for RR and JDR after the third straight loss. Promote EB and evaluate him for the remainder of the season. Use the trade deadline to try and get picks and off-load guys we don't have plans for (Gibson, Logan Thomas, Brissett, Fuller, Samuel). 

Who is doing that? You want Harris firing people and then hiring someone to run the FO to negotiate those trades? Someone that wouldn't currently be on a team, mind you?

Nobody is getting fired. We dug our hole. We just have to sit in it now.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

My conspiracy theory is that Rivera basically already knew he was done once the ownership news came out, and as a result decided to hire EB as a favor to his buddy Reid to see if he can beef up the offense to increase his HC chances in 2024.

Yep, old guard nepotism hire for a friend. Been my take since day one.