Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you watch shows with the subtitles on or off?

Cooked Crack

Do you watch shows with the subtitles on or off?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you watch shows with the subtitles on or off?

• Subs on
    • Subs off
    • Subs on only for foreign language/if I can't understand what's being said

It's a neat trick my cousin taught me for everything his daughter watches on YouTube that's paid dividends for mine.

I don't always put in subtitles for myself, but I refuse to watch something in English that's not made in English (so those cases have to put in subtitles).

Anyone asks I always say yes to turning them on, but by myself, it's more to make sure I'm understanding what's going on or if I'm watching with no volume.

Subtitles all the time, to each their own, it can be distracting sometimes, so if it's not really needed, keep convo honest versus absolutes.

Edited by Renegade7

On all the time.  Starting out with them on watching British shows and evolved from that.  Makes it easier to catch everything and my hearing is not to what it was. 

I will note that some of the subtitles are hilarious they're so badly done.  Most are fine though.

Also, they need to stop putting the subtitle "speaking foreign language" on top of the on screen text translation.

Edited by The 12th Commandment

I’ll put ‘em on when we watch a show with heavy accents. I hate it when they automatically turn on - usually means my in-laws have been over and have changed the settings. Can’t stand them on sporting events.

Though I would love for closed captioning to automatically come on when a show has texting going on. Always have to pause it and walk up to the tv to read it.

34 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

If I wanted to read I wouldn't be watching tv/movies. 

It's why I still haven't seen Pan's Labyrinth. I think Crouching Tiger Hiden Dragon was the last anything I watched what had subtitles. 

Subtitled movies > musicals 🤪

You sound like no like Kung Fu movies.

Choose words wisely.

Might be your last.

gif-king-f1aa690ea5f703049e223e96ccfdf77d.gif

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

You sound like no like Kung Fu movies.

Choose words wisely.

Might be your last.

Oh I like Kung Fu flicks. Usually they dub those to English tho. The terrible voice overs are part of their greatness. 

I liked Crouching Tiger when I saw it in the theater. I'd just rather read it as a book as opposed to reading it as a movie. 🤓

5 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

On a scale of 1 to 10, how Lil John are you?

what-i-cant-here-you.gif

i am actually totally deaf when not wearing my cochlear implant

With it on, I can sometimes understand dialogue with some effort  depending on who is speaking the lines and if there is other noise like music, etc.

I can understand news radio stations nearly perfectly, and most commercials

• Like 1

was watcahing the MLS Leagues Cup with Messi in the final and the apple TV goes straight to subtitles

always have to turn them off

same with the roku tv downstairs. turning on and off. Works for one show but not live sports or news. **** just scrolls by with text like 20 seconds behind lol

5 hours ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Oh I like Kung Fu flicks. Usually they dub those to English tho. The terrible voice overs are part of their greatness.

I watch a bunch of old Kung Fu movies when my friend is in town.  It's interesting that they seem to get the same voice-actors to dub some of the actors from movie to movie.  We've come to recognize what Sammo Hung's dubbed voice sounds like because it's always the same guy.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, PokerPacker said:

I watch a bunch of old Kung Fu movies when my friend is in town.  It's interesting that they seem to get the same voice-actors to dub some of the actors from movie to movie.  We've come to recognize what Sammo Hung's dubbed voice sounds like because it's always the same guy.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I like to rewatch Amazon series in Italian or French to work on my language comprehension, and I will put on the subtitles in the target language to reinforce what I am hearing.  It's a great way to learn.  I still need to work a bit more on my Spanish, but hopefully I will be doing the same with that in the not too distant future.