Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you watch shows with the subtitles on or off?

Cooked Crack

Do you watch shows with the subtitles on or off?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you watch shows with the subtitles on or off?

• Subs on
    • Subs off
    • Subs on only for foreign language/if I can't understand what's being said

Sometimes...I think it was covered with earlier responses.  No subtitles on things like sports.  I think the majority of the time, it's when I'm watching something with more adult themes and language like Game of Thrones or Succession type shows, where I don't want my kids to overhear it and also want to be able to pause if I hear them coming into the room.  So I keep the volume low enough where I can understand most of it but have the subtitles on to make sure I didn't miss anything or hear it incorrectly.

You know what pisses me off, when the advertisers and videos on youtube make subtitles mandatory. Have you noticed that? Some of the Rocket mortgage ads have required subtitles, or if you check social media subtitles will sometimes be part of the social media video. Why is that?

We have ears. We can hear what you're saying.

Why make subtitles for everyone without an option to turn them off?

Take a look at this for instance. I was watching this afternoon after work and they have subtitles for what the people are saying.

3 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

You know what pisses me off, when the advertisers and videos on youtube make subtitles mandatory. Have you noticed that? Some of the Rocket mortgage ads have required subtitles, or if you check social media subtitles will sometimes be part of the social media video. Why is that?

We have ears. We can hear what you're saying.

Why make subtitles for everyone without an option to turn them off?

Take a look at this for instance. I was watching this afternoon after work and they have subtitles for what the people are saying.

I assume there's some nefarious psychology going on where the subtitles draw your eyes and cause you to actively read it and more absorb what they're thrusting upon you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As I get older I much prefer subtitles. I do not starre at them therefore missing the show itself. But it is nice to have them for clarification when I don't fully hear what they say. The volume seems to go up and down so much, sometimesI jsut cannot hear them without increasing the volume which is a pain. 

I do agree it should be optional as subtitles really annoy some people. Give people the option. 

i usually don't want 'em (except when watching "Derry Girls").   However, i have an autistic child that has trouble processing all the audio language while also trying to process the confusing physical social interaction, and the subtitles help.    

i also love love LOVE the option  "rewind 10 seconds with temporary subtitles".  ...   LUV it.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hate watching english shows with subtitles on, because I can't NOT read them, and then I can't see wtf is going on the screen cause I'm reading the damn subtitles.

Always watch foreign stuff with subtitles though to watch it in the native tongue.  I cannot watch dubbed stuff.

Being a moderator on ES back in the day when the community was much larger…. I learned how to read/process very quickly.

So reading subtitles on a TV doesn’t interfere with my viewing experience.

Actors mumble, they soft talk, they talk to fast, some characters have accents which make it difficult to pick up certain words, audio goes up and down, etc.

My wife always tries to get away with not turning on subtitles because she detests them unless necessary. But almost every show, she inevitably has to put them on.

Every show, she has to ask me multiple times, “What did he/she say?” and I have to tell her I don’t know. And if I miss parts of the script.. I don’t follow and I’m not invested in the show.