Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: Aspartame Is a Possible Cause of Cancer in Humans, a W.H.O. Agency Says

China

Aspartame Is a Possible Cause of Cancer in Humans, a W.H.O. Agency Says

A World Health Organization agency declared on Thursday that aspartame, an artificial sweetener widely used in diet drinks and low-sugar foods, could possibly cause cancer.

A second W.H.O. committee, though, held steady on its assessment of a safe level of aspartame consumption. By some calculations using the panel’s standard, a person weighing 150 pounds could avoid a risk of cancer but still drink about a dozen cans of diet soda a day.

The declaration by a W.H.O. agency of a cancer risk associated with aspartame reflects the first time the prominent international body has weighed in publicly on the effects of the nearly ubiquitous artificial sweetener. Aspartame has been a contentious ingredient for decades.

The International Agency for Research on Cancer, or I.A.R.C., said it based its conclusion that aspartame was a possible carcinogen on limited evidence from three observational studies of humans that the agency said linked consumption of artificially sweetened beverages to an increase in cases of liver cancer — at levels far below a dozen cans a day. It cautioned that the results could potentially be skewed toward the profile of people who drink higher amounts of diet drinks and called for further study.

Still, people who consume high amounts of aspartame should consider switching to water or other unsweetened drinks, said Dr. Francesco Branca, director of the W.H.O. Department of Nutrition and Food Safety.

But, he added: “Our results do not indicate that occasional consumption should pose a risk to most.”

Click on the link for the full article

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I thought everyone knew aspertame caused cancer since the 90s 

Are you thinking of saccharin, which has been linked to bladder cancer in rats?  The earliest mention of Aspartame and cancer possible causation is 2007 that I can find.

Regardless, they're all bad.

Recently it was reported that sucralose may cause DNA damage.

Stevia can cause bloating and diarrhea.

Its hard to give up everything.  Nitrates and nitrites are much more carcinogenic, and are frequently used in bacon and cold cuts

42 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Is there anything that doesn’t cause cancer nowadays?

No.  And California is sure to remind you everywhere you go.

15 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Sorry for your loss, if it isn’t difficult, could you expound? 

She drank diet coke for as long as I can remember close to 40 years by my count. It was first manufactured in 1982 when I was born. She was diagnosed with abdominal cancer a few years ago and I noticed she stopped drinking it. I didn't ask why but since then my dad has made comments about Coca-Cola as a company that make me think the Diet Coke was maybe a contributing factor. I don't want to ask him because I know he is still in a lot of pain even though she passed last year. 

I drink juices, water, and unsweet iced tea exclusively. Sometimes I drink a Coke if I buy some fast food which is pretty much never these days. If I want a burger, I get one out of my freezer and make it. I usually have American cheese and hamburger buns on hand since I can get 2 lbs of hamburger meat for around $10 and make 8 patties with my silicone patty mold. I vacuum freeze each one. I like to add thousand island dressing, tomato slices, and lettuce. So for the price of almost a burger out these days I get 8. 

The way this and similar articles reads, it's like the panel looked at a bunch of studies and went "eh, maybe...put it in the lowest classification possible, 2B." 

People will run with whatever agenda they have. 99.9% of folks aren't drinking enough of the sweetener to do any real damage. 

And if you're punishing a 21+ cans of diet soda a day (the limit for a 165# person), you're probably not making ideal health choices anyway. Or you're John Daly - the peak masculine form.  

image.jpeg.ffac6a081335e8b6f3baf4a664fb5762.jpeg

2 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

The way this and similar articles reads, it's like the panel looked at a bunch of studies and went "eh, maybe...put it in the lowest classification possible, 2B." 

People will run with whatever agenda they have. 99.9% of folks aren't drinking enough of the sweetener to do any real damage. 

And if you're punishing a 21+ cans of diet soda a day (the limit for a 165# person), you're probably not making ideal health choices anyway. Or you're John Daly - the peak masculine form.  

image.jpeg.ffac6a081335e8b6f3baf4a664fb5762.jpeg

Some people can do whatever they want and not pay the consequences. 

My grandfather smoked a pipe for decades but my grandmother was the one that ended up with mouth cancer. Go figure.

8 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

Some people can do whatever they want and not pay the consequences. 

My grandfather smoked a pipe for decades but my grandmother was the one that ended up with mouth cancer. Go figure.

Yea, I remember being in a statistics class and the professor explained that if you live long enough, you will get cancer. But there are children under 5 who develop cancer. There are 99 year olds who have never had cancer. Your mileage may vary. 

I used to drink a lot of diet pepsi or coke and have had pancreatic cancer now for several years. I have no idea if that is the cause but nobody else in my family drinks diet soda. Also, nobody else in my family worked on USN Radar equipment that radiated on me at 100KW for a lot of my 20 years of service either. 

It could have come from either but I blame the radiation and the VA agrees by paying me 100% disability. 

• Sad 2

20 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

If you have had pancreatic cancer "for several years" you are a tough mother****er. 💪

Well, I had it already for several years before I knew anything. The surgeon told me that it must have been in there for years because the type I had was slow growing and it was the size of a large roast beef, 8 by 5 inches connecting my pancreas to my stomach, which he cut out about 1/2 of each to get it all out. Then a few months later it returned on my liver which is why I've been doing chemo for a year and a half now so far. Yeah it sucks.

I don't know about being tough or not. It's just something that I have to deal with just like anything else that happens and you have no choice but to live through it because what else can you do?

21 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

I used to drink a lot of diet pepsi or coke and have had pancreatic cancer now for several years. I have no idea if that is the cause but nobody else in my family drinks diet soda. Also, nobody else in my family worked on USN Radar equipment that radiated on me at 100KW for a lot of my 20 years of service either. 

It could have come from either but I blame the radiation and the VA agrees by paying me 100% disability. 

First, I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

But I did want to make the point that cancer doesn't really have to have a cause in the sense that you are using it.  Mutations happen.  Mutations can result in cancer.

It just could be random chance.  I've seen some of this in my own family and my mom is always like well it happened to this person because of X.  And I'm like well maybe, but maybe it is just random chance.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/cancer/it-s-not-your-fault-researchers-confirm-cancer-often-random-n737776

We (humans) often look for causes/explanations and therefore attempt to assign blame where there really is none.

(More scientifically, we could tie it to the 2nd law of thermodynamics and/or the role of mutations and adaption in evolution. )

• Like 3