Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's interesting that Logan Paulsen is very high on JDR and his scheme.  It contradicts Jay some who said he didn't find JDR's scheme when he was in Oakland that hard to foil, he thought it was pretty basic.  Maybe they are both right and JDR evolved?  Logan somewhat alluded to JDR evolving.

It's been said by some (Sheehan especially) that JDR is the defacto HC here -- that he assumes a lot of duties behind the scenes.  If so, not sure if that bodes well for him or not, if the team doesn't win.

I am high on Bieniemy as OC.  I am not sure about HC -- not negative or positive about it, its simply I don't discount that he's been turned down in so many HC interviews and heck the Bears new GM at the time (who was with Bieniemy in KC) didn't even give him an interview.  But then again they could have all missed it.  So i am high on him as a OC, agnostic about as a HC. 

Knowing Harris' reputation some, I'd guess he shoots for whomever is regarded at the top coordinator in the league with head coaching chops.  If I had to pick one right now, it would be Ben Johnson.  But I'd think he'd let the new GM make that move for whomever they choose.    Even if Ron survives, its tough for me to imagine he keeps full control. 

If Harris has an obsession (based on reputation and heck he sort of said it in his press conference) its get the best GM he can find and get out of their way -- hard for me to imagine that as he reflects on this point his conclusion is Ron is the best GM he can land in the league.

It does seem JDR has evolved to some degree. He also has amassed boatload of talent across the board that fit the scheme that he wants to run. Bring a new DC in and they might revamp the D that doesn't mesh with the roster. That and him having the history of being both a HC and DC gives him street cred to stay maybe with EB if he proves to be worthy. If the Offense falls flat...so goes EB and they are all out the dorr with the new GM would be my guess. I don't really see Ron either as existing in a coaching role next year (barring a hugely successful 2023)

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Conn said:

You think it would be a good thing if the owner of 5 days has privately told the OC (who has never been left to his own devices to sink or swim) that he’s “the heir apparent”? That’s silly as ****, think about what you’re saying and how unrealistic it is. Nevermind the fact that if EB has a good season, then the team as a whole and Rivera himself have most likely had a good season as well. That’s illogical as hell. 

hopefully statements like this prove to the fanbase that we're more like snyder than not lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, bowhunter said:

I would assume that RR "killing it" also means that EB killed it as well. And if EB fails, then most likely RR fails as well. Since EB is on a one year deal...which one ya gonna keep?

He's got a two year deal.  But if he kills it this year, then I think we all understand that he'll probably get an HC offer next winter.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, The Sisko said:

I like Riverboat Ron, and I'm grateful for what he's done to just get us back to mediocrity - a tall order in a Farquaad organization. That said, I hope Harris and Co. have strongly hinted to Bienemy that he's the heir apparent unless RR kills it next season.

Maybe I'm late to the party but why would anyone want Bienemy anointed as HC? Not trying to poo poo the guy, but nobody really knows how good or effective he is. Plus, I'd rather ownership pivot to a GM/Head of football ops who then chooses the next coach if/when RR is done here.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bantu said:

Maybe I'm late to the party but why would anyone want Bienemy anointed as HC? Not trying to poo poo the guy, but nobody really knows how good or effective he is. Plus, I'd rather ownership pivot to a GM/Head of football ops who then chooses the next coach if/when RR is done here.  

I agree. There are just so many anti RR people here. smh. Let the season play out and then see where we are at.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Bantu said:

Pretty sure based on Harris' history that's exactly what will unfold.  Hire a GM, and that GM makes the call.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's interesting that Logan Paulsen is very high on JDR and his scheme.  It contradicts Jay some who said he didn't find JDR's scheme when JDR was in Oakland that hard to foil, he thought it was pretty basic.  Maybe they are both right and JDR evolved?  Logan somewhat alluded to JDR evolving.

It's been said by some (Sheehan especially) that JDR is the defacto HC here -- that he assumes a lot of duties behind the scenes.  If so, not sure if that bodes well for him or not, if the team doesn't win.

I am high on Bieniemy as OC.  I am not sure about HC -- not negative or positive about it, its simply I don't discount that he's been turned down in so many HC interviews and heck the Bears new GM at the time (who was with Bieniemy in KC) didn't even give him an interview.  But then again they could have all missed it.  So i am high on him as a OC, agnostic about as a HC. 

Knowing Harris' reputation some, I'd guess he shoots for whomever is regarded at the top coordinator in the league with head coaching chops.  If I had to pick one right now, it would be Ben Johnson.  But I'd think he'd let the new GM make that move for whomever they choose.    Even if Ron survives, its tough for me to imagine he keeps full control. 

If Harris has an obsession (based on reputation and heck he sort of said it in his press conference) its get the best GM he can find and get out of their way -- hard for me to imagine that as he reflects on this point his conclusion is Ron is the best GM he can land in the league.

One of the TV analysts, Mina Kimes maybe, or somebody else was saying our scheme changed and adapted a lot last season. They said it got really good to end the season. Maybe JDR did evolve, or we've got a whole lot of position coaches and the like who are figuring things out?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

He's got a two year deal.  But if he kills it this year, then I think we all understand that he'll probably get an HC offer next winter.

And he should. 

Next year could see a lot of openings depending on how things go.

Pats, Browns, Raiders, Chargers, Rams, Bears, Falcons, Saints, Bucs, Boys, Commies 

Obviously things would have to go negatively but there could be that many openings.  

If there are that many openings and EB doesn’t get a job; he never will.

6 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

One of the TV analysts, Mina Kimes maybe, or somebody else was saying our scheme changed and adapted a lot last season. They said it got really good to end the season. Maybe JDR did evolve, or we've got a whole lot of position coaches and the like who are figuring things out?

"or we've got a whole lot of position coaches and the like who are figuring things out?"

Thinking the DL coaching change last year is an example of that

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Local governments tripping all over themselves to get the stadium, businesses vying for advertising with the team, fans in long lines to take a bus to go to a practice, owner being mobbed for an autograph. Coaches and players with huge smiles.   Wow, what a change!  

• Like 10
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2