Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

I like Tremaine and hope we find a way to keep him (likely PS). Losing Samuel after this season We could still have Terry, Dot, Brown, Tinsley and Tremaine next year along with a draft pick or FA. I'll bet these coaches are gonna really struggle with some of these cuts....maybe we'll see a surprise vet cut to keep a youngster?

2 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I like Tremaine and hope we find a way to keep him (likely PS). Losing Samuel after this season We could still have Terry, Dot, Brown, Tinsley and Tremaine next year along with a draft pick or FA. I'll bet these coaches are gonna really struggle with some of these cuts....maybe we'll see a surprise vet cut to keep a youngster?

I'm curious what they are going to do about Fromme. The kid had a really good preseason and seemed to have a good grasp of the offense. I thought he clearly outplayed Brissett who looked like he was struggling. 

I know carrying 2 QBs is probably going to be the way they want to go, but with some teams already grabbing QBs I'd be concerned that a team would pluck him off the PS. Some might say no biggie, and I wouldn't argue that point, but at the same time if he's progressing and performing well then you don't want to lose that and have to start over.

HTTR!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

Totally agree.  Just a few discussion:

Tinsley has been one of our top 5 receivers and Tremaine done well for the PS. 

Whittaker showed big again and Brooks belongs on our PS.

I hate that with our questions on the OL that a guy like Larsen may be cut.

And how about Monteiro who has played well based on everything I've read.

It's one thing when it's the Giants announcers on their channel but yes from Logan on division rivals, it feels dirty...like @Koolblue13 when doing his gaga Eagle speak :ols:

Tinsley is tough.  Signs point to him making it, but with 4 locks, plus Pringle and Milne/Allen ST contributors, it’s tricky to hold on to him.  I think they’ll find a way though (especially with McLaurin’s toe).

I struggled a bit with names/numbers the first 2 game, so I didn’t notice if Whittaker showed anything prior to this game.

I think Stromberg’s ability to play guard means we might keep Larsen - we’re not holding on to 2 center-only OL at that point.  But then you’re at 10 OL assuming Daniels makes the cut.  

I have either Monteiro or Scott making the PS, assuming they make it through.   

Right now, my guess is:

10 OL

2 QBs

4 TEs

3 Backs

7 Receivers

4 Safeties

6 Corners (counting Martin as a corner here because that’s how he’s listed on the depth chart)

10 DL

4 Backers

Do they keep Fromm or 4 backs instead?  If so, do they cut Larsen (they can PS him, right?) or only keep 6 receivers?  Does Obada and JSW’s ability to play inside and outside mean they only keep 9 DL instead - maybe even going with only 23 on D?  Gonna be interesting.

I don't like keeping 3 QBs. If you go down to your 3rd QB your season is probably over anyway. Better to give that roster spot to someone who can contribute on teams, play a snap or two on special gadget packages, etc. 3rd QB can be on the Practice Squad. Nobody will be in a rush to sign Jake Fromm.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Tinsley is tough.  Signs point to him making it, but with 4 locks, plus Pringle and Milne/Allen ST contributors, it’s tricky to hold on to him.  I think they’ll find a way though (especially with McLaurin’s toe).

I struggled a bit with names/numbers the first 2 game, so I didn’t notice if Whittaker showed anything prior to this game.

I think Stromberg’s ability to play guard means we might keep Larsen - we’re not holding on to 2 center-only OL at that point.  But then you’re at 10 OL assuming Daniels makes the cut.  

I have either Monteiro or Scott making the PS, assuming they make it through.   

Right now, my guess is:

10 OL

2 QBs

4 TEs

3 Backs

7 Receivers

4 Safeties

6 Corners (counting Martin as a corner here because that’s how he’s listed on the depth chart)

10 DL

4 Backers

Do they keep Fromm or 4 backs instead?  If so, do they cut Larsen (they can PS him, right?) or only keep 6 receivers?  Does Obada and JSW’s ability to play inside and outside mean they only keep 9 DL instead - maybe even going with only 23 on D?  Gonna be interesting.

I have a hard time with Obada and JSW, really like both of them. If I had to keep one, I think I'd stick with JSW.

Last night gave me a much different opinion of Fromm, Milne, Hudson and Kaz the most.

With two really good weeks by Fromm and poor ones for Brisket, for the first time I can see a world where they need to keep 3 QBs on the roster

I'm not worrying about Kaz anymore, his hands aren't pro quality. Milne is more valuable even though he is a ho hum player, he can play all the positions and reliable returning.

Hudson played like he did at the end of last year and early this preseason, so he is in. I still question Barton and really wish we could have improved from Mayo making the team but he is still in unless they bring in another cut player

If we had an official cut down speculation thread we'd probably be posting these convos there... 

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I'm not worrying about Kaz anymore, his hands aren't pro quality. Milne is more valuable even though he is a ho hum player, he can play all the positions and reliable returning.

I couldn't get the game last night, but did pick up in the GDT that Kaz had a bad night. Especially a refence from RR post game presser about Kaz taking his eyes off of a punt. Did Kaz do anything else to further seal his fate? I like Kaz potential as a returner, but I guess making a return "exciting" can be both good and bad lol

5 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

I couldn't get the game last night, but did pick up in the GDT that Kaz had a bad night. Especially a refence from RR post game presser about Kaz taking his eyes off of a punt. Did Kaz do anything else to further seal his fate? I like Kaz potential as a returner, but I guess making a return "exciting" can be both good and bad lol

Dropped two balls AND made a bad decision fair catching a punt inside the 5.  Bmitch (his biggest supporter) called him out about that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Dropped two balls AND made a bad decision fair catching a punt inside the 5.  Bmitch (his biggest supporter) called him out about that.

Thanks. Catching the dang ball is kinda important for a receiver. I wonder if he had bad hands in college or during TC. If we keep him, I hope this was just bad luck

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bowhunter said:

Seems to me like Kaz isn't ready and could use some time on the PS to refine his skills some more. There are guys across the league and in our camp that are more ready than he is based on yesterday's performance. Lets keep coaching him up and see if he is needed later this season or next. 

4 hours ago, skinsfan4128 said:

I'm curious what they are going to do about Fromme. The kid had a really good preseason and seemed to have a good grasp of the offense. I thought he clearly outplayed Brissett who looked like he was struggling. 

I know carrying 2 QBs is probably going to be the way they want to go, but with some teams already grabbing QBs I'd be concerned that a team would pluck him off the PS. Some might say no biggie, and I wouldn't argue that point, but at the same time if he's progressing and performing well then you don't want to lose that and have to start over.

HTTR!

Does Fromme make Brissett trade bait? Or vice versa? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Seems to me like Kaz isn't ready and could use some time on the PS to refine his skills some more. There are guys across the league and in our camp that are more ready than he is based on yesterday's performance. Lets keep coaching him up and see if he is needed later this season or next. 

Does Fromme make Brissett trade bait? Or vice versa? 

No (IMO), but presuming they only keep 2, I bet they’ll be a bit anxious about Fromm getting picked up as someone’s #2/3…

@Warhead36 I hear you about going down to your 3rd qb, but if it’s for part of a game even a game or 2, Fromm’s shown he can produce with a vanilla scheme.  Of course he also played against vanilla defenses (sans Bmore’s zero blitzes, lol), so who knows.  Sidenote - pretty impressive he’s gone from most of us wanting him off the team pronto to wondering if we should keep him (or even trade Brissett).

5 hours ago, skinsfan4128 said:

I agree. But I think you have to take the larger sample size of both guys during their careers. Not mention if we need Fromm, our season is most likely over.

Edited by NYSkins21
  • Thumb up 1

Keim new podcast with Bram.

A.  Both feel good about Howell

B.  Keim repeated they don't cut draft picks in the context of cutting Henry

C.  Both expressed concern about the O line.  Bram later on in the podcastmentioned it as potentially a big concern but hopes its OK.  But then he said all teams have a weakness.  That's an over time change in take from Bram because as I said here at the start of camp Bram was the most optimistic about the O line.

D. Keim felt the best about Gates and Cosmi among the O lineman

E.  Hodges doesn't make the team but Armah likely does

F.  Tinlsey doesn't make it.  Ditto Kaz Allen.  Get ready again to see Milne be their prime returner.

G.  Bram expressed concern about the LBs, and they discussed Barton still growing and learning the defense

H.  Terry and Mathis might miss the opener.  They are't sure about Chase.  They think Jonathan Allen and Thomas and Fuller play

I.  They really like Chris Rodriguez.

J.  Brian Robinson will be the workhorse

K.  Antonio Gibson hasn't looked like they expected in this offense.  So they don't seem to expect a breakout from him this season where he's utilized as some expect he would.  Bram said if he leaves next FA season (implying if he excells elsewhere) people might wonder why this team never quite figured out how to use him.

L.  They don't see this RB group as one with homerun hitters and big plays.  Lots of singles and doubles.  Gibson being maybe the one who can make the bigger plays in space. 

M.  Bram really likes the roster, Ron's best since he's been here 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

50 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

L.  They don't see this RB group as one with homerun hitters and big plays.  Lots of singles and doubles.  Gibson being maybe the one who can make the bigger plays in space.

Gibson reminds of Portis at the end of his career here. Too often he is one shoe-string tackle away from a big run/YAC.  Unfortunately, I've given up on him being an explosive player.

• Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1

Chiefs have a  WR bubble guy named Ihmir Smith - Marsette who is better than Kaz Allen and Milne as far as explosive plays and hands. He's a punt returner too. Keep an eye on him to see if he makes their 53. Had 9 catches for 192 yards and 2 TD's in preseason and is a 3rd year guy out of Iowa. He can play.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

Chiefs have a  WR bubble guy named Ihmir Smith - Marsette who is better than Kaz Allen and Milne as far as explosive plays and hands. He's a punt returner too. Keep an eye on him to see if he makes their 53. Had 9 catches for 192 yards and 2 TD's in preseason and is a 3rd year guy out of Iowa. He can play.

yep, I liked him as a sleeper with the Vikings, but he got hurt, then bounced around a bit. Has some talent for sure.

42 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

Unfortunately like Portis, the coaches asked Gibson to be a battering ram. 

Hopefully those days are over, not that AG didn't give it his all but he just doesn't have that kind of vision. I'm excited to see how he is used this year. I'm just excited Turner is gone lol

• Thumb up 1