Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Apparently I'm not and nor was I ever, but I took the shot. So, he's an unathletic Darnell that catch catch or block.  :ols:

Looks like they like are going with Armah but more as a FB.  And Turner, Bates, Thomas.   It's a spot where players can get hurt.

This TE class was arguably historically loaded and deep. 

I could put up some highlights of some of the TEs we passed over in the mid rounds who are having good camps.  But that tends to piss off some people here who thinks its too harsh on Rivera so I'll refrain. :ols:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Looks like they like are going with Armah but more as a FB.  And Turner, Bates, Thomas.   It's a spot where players can get hurt.

This TE class was arguably historically loaded and deep. 

I could put up some highlights of some of the TEs we passed over in the mid rounds who are having good camps.  But that tends to piss off some people here who thinks its too harsh on Rivera so I'll refrain. :ols:

Yeah, please don't do that. Willis in the 7th?!? Every round had fantastic TEs.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Yep, your enthusiasm was contagious. He was one of my "must draft" guys after reading your posts

The dude is a freak.   A bit raw but a freak.

It was such a golden TE draft IMO.

We talked about it to death on the draft thread.  Ditto talked about all our TEs have had an injury history.  But Ron knows best!  😎

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah, please don't do that. Willis in the 7th?!? Every round had fantastic TEs.

I watched more TEs over the years than any other spot.  It's the only spot where I watched typically every TE mentioned right down to the potential UDFAs.  And I can't recall anything close to the depth of this draft at that spot.   And just about every draft observor including DJ commented on how unique the TE depth was. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

I'm just over here hoping our current collection of TEs, who might just have of the worst proven production at the position in the NFL somehow shake off their built of glass labels, stay healthy for the majority of the season, return to form from previous injuries, and contribute in much greater fashion than ever before.

Super pumped. Its gonna go great.

dfa.jpg.d2f160dcce3859d946be3aca71c472af.jpg

• Haha 7

3 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I'm just over here hoping our current collection of TEs, who might just have of the worst proven production at the position in the NFL somehow shake off their built of glass labels, stay healthy for the majority of the season, return to form from previous injuries, and contribute in much greater fashion than ever before.

Im thinking around week 4 both Turner and Thomas will both be injured and we will be brining in a couple of TE's to replace them. Hate to say it because I like them both.

14 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Is TE featured heavily in the EB/Reid offense? I would guess not considering our draft and offseason, so we should be fine.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Is TE featured heavily in the EB/Reid offense? I would guess not considering our draft and offseason, so we should be fine.

They had from what I recall one of the higher runs of multiple tight end sets.

I gather the method to the madness for no new TEs was a combination of drafting to what they deemed to be higher needs over TEs and having faith that injuries wouldn't plague the unit this year as opposed to what happened last year.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm very confident that everyone in the media is grossly overestimating the importance of a TE in a KC offense where Travis Kelce put up over 1K yards last year...

and the year b4 that...

and the year b4 that...

and the year b4 that...

and the year b4 that...

and the year b4 that...

and the year b4 that...

And I won't forget to write this in my /sarcasm font.

We totally got this. The bones are fine. Dam fine.

q790mjj7.jpg.48b122755f16142fbe56f72734986415.jpg

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I know you are joking but the offense will get the ball to our best play makers. In KC the best playmakers included a TE and he gets a lot of the ball. 

Here our best playmakers are at WR and possibly even RB out of the backfield (Gibson) over TE. Unless someone emerges from the TE group and makes enough plays they demand being fed the ball I would expect WRs and backs to catch more balls than TEs.

• Like 6

Our TEs are better than we think.  Cole is a beast and he's gonna get like 70 or 80 receptions this year.  He looks like Sam Howell's comfort blanket.  Bates is a really solid looking player too.  Not the receiver that Cole is, but a very nice blocker.  Logan was also tearing it up in camp apparently, and he is a team leader.  This is a good group.

I like Tremayne too.  I think he's a nice little gem at the end of the depth chart, worth developing.  He's got natural receiving ability and good size.

Our TEs are basically standing in for tall receivers in our offense.  The middle of the field is wide open for us now that Howell is playing and Bieniemy is designing and calling the plays.  We've got the arm and spacing to live in the middle of the defense now.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Just now, Going Commando said:

Our TEs are better than we think.  Cole is a beast and he's gonna get like 70 or 80 receptions this year.  He looks like Sam Howell's comfort blanket.  Bates is a really solid looking player too.  Not the receiver that Cole is, but a very nice blocker.  Logan was also tearing it up in camp apparently, and he is a team leader.  This is a good group.

I like Tremayne too.  I think he's a nice little gem at the end of the depth chart, worth developing.  He's got natural receiving ability and good size.

Our TEs are basically standing in for tall receivers in our offense.  The middle of the field is wide open for us now that Howell is playing and Bieniemy is designing and calling the plays.  We've got the arm and spacing to live in the middle of the defense now.

70+ catches for Turner is a hell of a projection for a guy who had 2 catches last season. I hope you are right - if he earns that kind of targeting it would be great.

• Like 1

Just now, MartinC said:

70+ catches for Turner is a hell of a projection for a guy who had 2 catches last season. I hope you are right - if he earns that kind of targeting it would be great.

That's how good I think he is, and how friendly the system and situation is for him.  He and Dotson are Sam's guys, and seem to lead the team in targets with Sam at QB.  I think Turner is going to see 7+ targets per game, which is Travis Kelce esque.  The only things I see getting in the way of that is injury, or Logan Thomas is even better and healthier that I expect.  Can't do anything about the former, but the latter would be a good outcome.

No way does Turner get that many catches unless other guys are getting hurt or the offense is somehow just insanely good(like top 5 in the league good)and even then, you gotta figure that means Dotson and McLaurin rack up a ton of the catches/yards. 

Last year only five TEs caught over 70 passes: Travis Kelce, TJ Hockenson, Mark Andrews, Evan Engram, and Tyler Higbee. I like Turner but I don't think he's as good as any of those guys who are proven established veterans. Even some other TEs who are considered pretty good to really good like Dalton Schultz, Dallas Goedert, and Cole Kmet only caught in the 50s range.

Turner will catch some balls but 70+ is a ridiculous expectation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Reid's offense did not historically heavily feature a TE until Kelce forced his hand which is interesting because he started as a TE/offensive line coach.

• Like 1

Yeah I think 70 from Turner alone would be a stretch cause I you know darn well McLaurin, Dotson and even Samuel will all barring any injury will be well over 60/70 each and I don’t see 4 guys having 60+ reps… if they all do then it will be a great season for Howell or Brissett (should Sam not play 17gms) but I do think if Turner stays healthy he will be that security blanket for Howell and could easily be 40/50 reps

8 hours ago, HigSkin said:

I completely missed the fact he wasn't around.

Well, how 'bout that?  Now that he's back, Wylie is going to immediately transform into George Starke.

7 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Unless they changed the rules, he's not eligible for PUP. It's only for guys that were not healthy when camp started.

You're right, he can't go on PUP.  You have to declare PUP before TC. 

However, if they put him on the 53 for 3 minutes, they can then IR him and bring him back.  The challenge there is you have to cut somebody to get the spot for the 53, then you have to fill the spot, and the guy you cut might/might not be there.  

It's irrelevant.  It's just stupid speculation, he'll be on the active roster and play week 1. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I like him too....he got a $100,000 signing bonus as an UFA so I think he's gonna be on the practice squad for sure with a chance to develop.