Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

I think the O gets 2-3 series. New system, need the reps.

D probably gets less as they have less to learn. Leaves space for guys like Quan to get some extra burn.

I hope our new RB draft pick gets a lot of carries. Nobody can tackle or fill holes in preseason and it makes any runner look like a god lol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I feel officially checked out on the offseason and lookin for nothingburgers to get anxiety about.

We play in two days and this is officially a house money season.

Win and we have something to build on.

Lose and folks that know what they doin will find folks that know what they doin.

Win Win in my book.

Agree.

Only wildcard to me is does this fan enthusiasm wane some if the season unfolds in same old same old fashion.  Other than that, the season should organically unfold in a win win situation.

Just now, FootballZombie said:

I think the O gets 2-3 series. New system, need the reps.

D probably gets less as they have less to learn. Leaves space for guys like Quan to get some extra burn.

I hope our new RB draft pick gets a lot of carries. Nobody can tackle or fill holes in preseason and it makes any runner look like a god lol

Standig predicted today, 2 series

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Just on a sidebar.  Logan Paulsen-Hoffman concurred with a couple of other media folks that Andre Jones has looked better than KJ Henry.  Paulsen though thought Henry has come on some of late.  Like I said the other day, KJ Henry is really having a quiet camp judging purely by media talking heads.

Jones though has some buzz albiet Paulsen thinks he's a bit raw. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I would not support limiting Howells reps like some veteran starter who jus needs to go through the motions.

He's 22 in a brand new offense, act like it.

There's a reason though why starters ( even ones with little experience) don't play in the preseason much.

The risk reward is a delicate balance. 

Nobody is going to show their playbook in the preseason so you're running a bunch of vanilla plays that you can and do run in practice where the danger of injury is much lower.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It could be a repeat of the Zorn offenses.  Or it could not be.  Time will tell.  

A lot could happen this season - good or bad. Hard to predict. One thing I am very confident about though is we will not run the swinging gate even once let along on consecutive plays!

There have been lots of low points in the Dan Snyder era, but that was right now there with the worst.

16 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I would not support limiting Howells reps like some veteran starter who jus needs to go through the motions.

He's 22 in a brand new offense, act like it.

Here is the problem with that - if you play Howell you need to play the starters around him. Certainly the O’Line and really the skill position players since you want to build timing and familiarity. We are likely not playing our starters overall much more than 4 quarters in total over preseason and that will apply to Howell as well I would think.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

22 minutes ago, redskinss said:

There's a reason though why starters ( even ones with little experience) don't play in the preseason much.

The risk reward is a delicate balance. 

Nobody is going to show their playbook in the preseason so you're running a bunch of vanilla plays that you can and do run in practice where the danger of injury is much lower.

I don't care if it's the most vanilla offense on earth, dude needs reps, give it to him.

I'm gonna be pissed we Hide him Friday, he has a game that's entirely possible against rhe Ravens, then he doesn't see another snap for like 3 weeks because of what we supposed to do with a starting QB in the preseason.

It'd a bad idea to act like our situation isn't grounds for a exception or at least consideration of it.

17 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Here is the problem with that - if you play Howell you need to play the starters around him. Certainly the O’Line and really the skill position players since you want to build timing and familiarity. We are likely not playing our starters overall much more than 4 quarters in total over preseason and that will apply to Howell as well I would think.

Why?

He spent most of last season as the third string anyway.

It's not like he doesn't know any of the other 3rd stringers.

He should play at least the first half of all three preaseaon games, imo.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I don't care if it's the most vanilla offense on earth, dude needs reps, give it to him.

I'm gonna be pissed we Hide him Friday, he has a game that's entirely possible against rhe Ravens, then he doesn't see another snap for like 3 weeks because of what we supposed to do with a starting QB in the preseason.

It'd a bad idea to act like our situation isn't grounds for a exception or at least consideration of it.

Why?

He spent most of last season as the third string anyway.

It's not like he doesn't know any of the other 3rd stringers.

He should play at least the first half of all three pressing games, imo.

You’re going to put your first string QB out on the field behind your 2nd and 3rd string O’line?? Not a chance in hell that happens. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, MartinC said:

You’re going to put your first string QB out on the field behind your 2nd and 3rd string O’line?? Not a chance in hell that happens. 

I'm not going to let conventional wisdom talk me out of this knowing pre-built excuses will be ready to go in September.

"Not having a lot of reps together is having a blah blah blah blah blah our slow start womp womp womp"

They start slow this season it'll be over by Columbus Day and everyone in this thread knows it.

This isn't daycare and he's not a toddler, this is football and he's a grown ass man. 

Our season depends on his success, not just his availability, I stand by first half each as he needs to also learn how to protect himself and respect Football at this level.  Coaches spent all last year trying to protect him from this, coaches should make the call not to leave him in whole half versus defaulting to keeping him in bubble wrap much as possible this offseason.

That is just my opinion, I want outside the box thinking with respect to problems we already see in front of us. Not waiting for it to possibly happen and doin the shoulda coulda woulda dance if **** goes south. Bend the rules a little to get him as much playing time as we can is all I ask, not play him the whole game all August.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm not going to let conventional wisdom talk me out of this knowing pre-built excuses will be ready to go in September.

"Not having a lot of reps together is having a blah blah blah blah blah our slow start womp womp womp"

They start slow this season it'll be over by Columbus Day and everyone in this thread knows it.

This isn't daycare and he's not a toddler, this is football and he's a grown ass man. 

Our season depends on his success, not just his availability, I stand by first half each as he needs to also learn how to protect himself and respect Football at this level.  Coaches spent all last year trying to protect him from this, coaches should make the call not to leave him in whole half versus defaulting to keeping him in bubble wrap much as possible this offseason.

That is just my opinion, I want outside the box thinking with respect to problems we already see in front of us. Not waiting for it to possibly happen and doin the shoulda coulda woulda dance if **** goes south. Bend the rules a little to get him as much playing time as we can is all I ask, not play him the whole game all August.

Sometimes conventional wisdom is just wisdom. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Sometimes conventional wisdom is just wisdom. 

Or an excuse to play safe...it's not like challenging conventional wisdom has never been the right thing to do or worked out. 

I get the risk and not trying to minimize it, a compromise wmi would accept would be play him more then normally would in 1st game, as we should in the 2nd game, and depending on how 2nd game goes how much he plays in the 3rd. 

Him lookin 22 against the Ravens then not playing again for 3 weeks should be in a similar realm of predictability as conventional wisdom.

• Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Or an excuse to play safe...it's not like challenging conventional wisdom has never been the right thing to do or worked out. 

I get the risk and not trying to minimize it, a compromise wmi would accept would be play him more then normally would in 1st game, as we should in the 2nd game, and depending on how 2nd game goes how much he plays in the 3rd. 

Him lookin 22 against the Ravens then not playing again for 3 weeks should be in a similar realm of predictability as conventional wisdom.

Let’s just say we disagree.

• Thumb up 1

Preseason is about taking real hits, not about qbs learning to read defenses. Longer you play Sam is simply about him getting into the endzone and gaining confidence. May not just be sam...may be the entire oline you leave out there

Edited by dunfer
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

6 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

The Cardinals lost their RB for the year...can week one really be wrapped up for us like this? I'm going to have to buy some mushrooms with this game, has a great chance to be an ass whooping.

They had signed him only 4 days prior so probably not a huge loss but facing the cardinals week one really is a perfect matchup for us because we either get a win or we get a really early draft pick.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

46 minutes ago, redskinss said:

They had signed him only 4 days prior so probably not a huge loss but facing the cardinals week one really is a perfect matchup for us because we either get a win or we get a really early draft pick.

I made the mistake a couple of years ago to take mushrooms when we played against the Bills...not a fun game. I'd rather have a win.

Edited by Simmsy
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, dunfer said:

Preseason is about taking real hits, not about qbs learning to read defenses. Longer you play Sam is simply about him getting into the endzone and gaining confidence. May not just be sam...may be the entire oline you leave out there

I always agree with this mentality...

It's the way it would be in a perfect world for sure.

But..

Your mentality will shift significantly if our starting RG or LT or QB go down in the 3rd quarter of a meaningless pre-season game. 

• Thumb up 2