Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

1 minute ago, MrJL said:

every year they decide that the NFL draft's top QB will go 1-whatever number they decide are first round QBs in this draft.  Despite it never happening that way.

Well, it does from time to time.  But not very often.  And when it does, 2 of the 3 QBs selected are abject busts.  

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Well, it does from time to time.  But not very often.  And when it does, 2 of the 3 QBs selected are abject busts.  

even when you get a few in a row to start off it gets broken up, and even though they're not in great positions I'm pretty sure Justin Fields and Mac Jones are better off than Zach Wilson as the most recent example of that

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Well his point was they need to get a top 3 pick because that’s how you get a top QB prospect but they won’t be that bad this year but it still needs to happen.

Which is a factually incorrect statement.  

Ah....got it. Yep, that was their point. And yep, it's factually incorrect. Plus we don't know yet if we already have the franchise QB, not sure he mentions that possibility.

38 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Ah....got it. Yep, that was their point. And yep, it's factually incorrect. Plus we don't know yet if we already have the franchise QB, not sure he mentions that possibility.

Nope.  

Literally nobody is allowing for the possibility Howell could be good.  

My position has been consistent: I have no idea if he could be or not.  I hope so, the odds are against it, but no idea. 

Kirk had a good game in 2012 in relief of Robert, didn't play all that well in 2013 or 2014, was even benched at one point, then in 2015, it clicked and he played well for the second half of the season.  

Howell won't get that kind of time, but could he have Kirk's 2015 next year?  I think it's possible. Not likely, but possible.

Most of the talking heads basically don't even allow for the possibility.  

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

12 hours ago, MrJL said:

even when you get a few in a row to start off it gets broken up, and even though they're not in great positions I'm pretty sure Justin Fields and Mac Jones are better off than Zach Wilson as the most recent example of that

And we still dont know if Jones or Fields will ever be more than a meh starting QB. Arrow is pointing down for Jones for sure.

9 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Most of the talking heads basically don't even allow for the possibility.

Because most of the talking heads NFL Network employs suffered a few too many hits to the head. LeSean McCoy is a prime example. Isn't Lavar Arrington on that station too?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chris 44 said:

Ashamed to say that outside of Forbes signing I haven't paid attention.  The sale of the team was a bit of a distraction. lol

Me to!

I know Martin signed recently so at least the top two picks are under contract. I suspect its all taken care of.

• Like 1

Slye miss his share of extra points, 11 misses as to extra points in the last 3 years.  This dude missed none last year.

As to the Giants game from last year, that they lost where Rivera punted when they were in field goal range and Gano kicked one in that same range for the Giants.  If I recall that was the difference in the game.

I said then if Rivera doesn't trust his kicker in a big spot with the playoffs on the line then get a new kicker.

I wondered if Harris being on board might spur some signings, maybe this is a sign of that?  Will see.

Earlier this week, the Detroit Lions made a somewhat surprising move by releasing veteran kicker Michael Badgley. Their starting kicker for 2022, Badgley had reliable accuracy last season, and many believed he was the favorite to win the job again.

But this offseason, the Lions added two competitors to the room: Parker Romo—fresh off a successful stint in the XFL—and they traded for Riley Patterson, who was in camp for Detroit last year before getting cut and promptly having a solid season with the Jaguars.

On the opening day of training camp, coach Dan Campbell explained why they let go of Badgley.

“It was hard to let Badgley go. That was tough,” Campbell said. “I have a lot respect for Badge, but you know, we wanted to give another look at Patterson. We feel like they’re very similar type players, Badgley and Patterson. We’ll get a look at Patterson.”

The stats from 2022 match what Campbell is saying. Both Badgley and Patterson were very reliable for short-to-medium distances. Patterson was 18-of-19 from 39 yards or less last year and 10-of-13 from 40-49. Badgley was 10-of-11 from 39 yards or less and 8-of-10 from 40-49.

Both kickers, though, have struggled from long distance, and that’s where Romo will get his opportunity to win the job. This year, he nailed a 59-yarder for the San Antonio Brahmas, and shined in OTAs after drilling a 61-yarder in the second week of practice. That said, it sounds like Romo has a bit of work to do to win out the job and may enter camp as second in line.

“We like Romo. He’s kind of the wild card. He has the big leg,” Campbell said. “There’s a level of development to him that needs to take place.

“So we just felt like between those two guys, let’s get a look at them and let them compete against each other. That’s why we did what we did.”

The Lions opened training camp on Sunday, but there were no kicking sessions. We’ll see where the battle progresses over the next month.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023/7/23/23804796/dan-campbell-explains-michael-badgley-release-updates-kicker-training-camp-battle

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Not sure I follow what you mean here.  How is this a sign of us signing free agents?

Not sure I follow back.  We are chasing basically a FA, on day 1 of Harris first week and the question how is this a sign of us signing FAs?

For example Brandon McManus was released by Denver weeks back, IMO he had clearly better pedigree than Slye, yet we did nothing.  He signed with Jax.

This is Harris' first week.  The Lions release their kicker, we pounce right away.  Random coincidence?  Maybe.    Some of us, me included talked about for various reasons why they might sign some players when Harris comes on board.  Heck even Ron hinted at it by saying their off season is on pause waiting for the new ownership.  But will see.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not sure I follow back.  We are chasing basically a FA, on day 1 of Harris first week and the question how is this a sign of us signing FAs?

For example Brandon McManus was released by Denver weeks back, IMO he had clearly better pedigree than Slye, yet we did nothing.  He signed with Jax.

This is Harris' first week.  The Lions release their kicker, we pounce right away.  Random coincidence?  Maybe.    Some of us, me included talked about for various reasons why they might sign some players when Harris comes on board.  Heck even Ron hinted at it by saying their off season is on pause waiting for the new ownership.  But will see.

Agree completely. We have some cap space to play with. And the camp cuts will be coming soon enough. Wouldnt be shocked to see some additions at OL, TE and LB.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I may have missed it, but I don't think it said we were pursuing. At least in the part I read.

Oh, it was in a tweet above.  

Doh!  Sorry. lol :)

• Like 1