Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's really close, I probably should of had him second. I think Rome did more with less as far as carrying a pass game. Marvin Harrison is a trash person, so I knock his kid for that, the way I elevate Rice and McCaffery. I don't know if Colemans game translates to the NFL, but it might. Wilson I don't think does at all. Corley I don't know about either. His size is off putting with his slow 40. If he got down to 200 and gained speed or grew 3 inches, I'd have him right there with XL, but right now I think WR3 is his ceiling and that's 3/4 range for me.

For our needs based BPA drafting, XL is #4 for me personally and if he's there at 36, I'd draft him in a heartbeat and give him a shot at WR1. Otherwise I really like Rice and McCaffery as project WR1s that can be had a little later.

If we're set at TMac at WR1, then most of the other small quick WRs can come in and battle with Dot for WR2/3

Hard to argue with your reasoning for nicking MJH, or any of the players for that matter. I enjoy seeing everyone's takes and grades on all players! Opinions are like...you know, everyone has one. I do see Wilson being a functional NFL player but not is he gets a HC like RR and a OC like EB 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

This is my WR ranking:

1 - Malik Nabers

2 - Marvin Harrison

3 - Rome Odunze

4 - Brian Thomas

5 - Xavier Legette

6 - Ladd McConkey

7 - Troy Franklin

8 - Keon Coleman

9 - Ricky Pearsall

10 - Jamari Thrash

11 - Roman Wilson

12 - Malachi Corley

13 - Ja'Lynn Polk

14 - Malik Washington

15 - Johnnie Wilson

16 - Tez Walker

17 - Jacob Cowing

18 - Xavier Worthy

19 - Jalen McMillan

20 - Adonai Mitchell

Wow, you’re really going against the grain with Thrash, Worthy, Mitchell and maybe Polk (not that I disagree with you, I don’t have a take there)

Edit:  I’m curious about the breakout age factor.  @The Consigliere - how much does that affect your thoughts on Thomas and others?  How do the (pertinent) analytics stack these guys?

Edited by skinny21

I'm sure this was posted somewhere within this thread but is there a list of the edge rushers and their 3 cone times that someone could post? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

As far as UDFA types I think I'm adding Bub Means from Pitt to my small list.

Baylor Cupp TE

Jackson Aker FB

Nourzad G/C

Ulofushio LB

Easton Gibbs because I seem to fall in love with a Wyoming LBer every year

Ryan Watts who could be a Chinn type of buffalo/tweener safety.

Both TT safeties for different reasons

Mark Perry also, because I like TCU safeties also.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Hard to argue with your reasoning for nicking MJH, or any of the players for that matter. I enjoy seeing everyone's takes and grades on all players! Opinions are like...you know, everyone has one. I do see Wilson being a functional NFL player but not is he gets a HC like RR and a OC like EB 😁

I doubt any NFL player ever has to worry about that again.  :ols: 

Wilson, Pearsail, Burton, Polk and a couple of others strike me as a TMac type, who is a solid WR1 without making a lot of probowls

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

This is my WR ranking:

1 - Malik Nabers

2 - Marvin Harrison

3 - Rome Odunze

4 - Brian Thomas

5 - Xavier Legette

6 - Ladd McConkey

7 - Troy Franklin

8 - Keon Coleman

9 - Ricky Pearsall

10 - Jamari Thrash

11 - Roman Wilson

12 - Malachi Corley

13 - Ja'Lynn Polk

14 - Malik Washington

15 - Johnnie Wilson

16 - Tez Walker

17 - Jacob Cowing

18 - Xavier Worthy

19 - Jalen McMillan

20 - Adonai Mitchell

I plan to rapid fire rewatch much of the WRs and TEs this weekend and will land on my final rankings then but for now

1.  Marvin Harrison Jr.

2.  Malik Nabers

3. Rome Odunze

4.  Brian Thomas

5.  Ladd McConkey

6.  Xavier Legette

7.  Ricky Pearsall

8.  Adonai Mitchell

9.  Roman Wilson

10.  Xavier Worthy

11. Ja'Lynn Polk

12. Malachi Corley

13. Keon Coleman

14. Jamari Thrash

15. Troy Franklin

16. Jalen McMillan

17.   Tez Walker

18.  Javon Baker

19. Johnny Wilson

20.  Brenden Rice

Jermaine Burton would be top 10 but I keep hearing he's not on team's draft board because of character

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Mine is:

1. Marvin Harrison Jr - don't overthink this. He is the class of the class.

2. Malik Nabers

3. Ladd McConkey

4. Xavier Legette

5. Rome Odunze

6. Troy Franklin

7. Brian Thomas

8. Roman Wilson

9. Ricky Pearsall

10. Malachi Corley

Very different than a lot of people's. 

Most different is I don't understand the Brian Thomas love other than speed... and then I think Worthy is faster. Thomas just has more size. 

You got my three favorite, not who I think are the best, but my favorite in your top 10:  McConkey, Pearsall, Wilson.  Legette would be runner up for me as one of my favs.  So I got no issue with that list.

• Like 4

Y'all are crazy. Harrison is so clearly and obviously WR1. Don't overthink it.

But I will say this WR depth is insane. We could find a legit day 1 starter at pick 67. I wouldn't even mind doubling down at WR. Just surround our new QB with young talent he can throw to for the next 5 years.

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

But I will say this WR depth is insane. We could find a legit day 1 starter at pick 67. I wouldn't even mind doubling down at WR. Just surround our new QB with young talent he can throw to for the next 5 years.

We can say that Harrison is an amazing prospect, while also saying Nabers is an amazing prospect. Having Harrison at WR2 might not be a knock on Harrison, but simply a credit to Nabers also being at that level.

In the past 10 drafts, the only two WR's that I think are as good prospects as Harrison and Nabers are 2014 Amari Cooper and 2021 Jamarr Chase. Just 2 guys in 10 years at that level makes it rare. Even rarer is that 2024 somehow has 2 other guys at that level too. It's a unique draft.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Somewhat ironically given this ^, I’ve been meaning to tell you that recently I’ve been leaning more towards your opinion of going wr in the 2nd and waiting on corner until the 3rd.  I think the corner depth is deeper than I realized (I thought it was mostly slot corners in the 3rd).  I do still think DE is a solid possibility in the 2nd (along with OT), with FS as a wildcard.  Needless to say, I’m loving our options.

I could definitely see landing two receivers, particularly if we trade back from one of our 2nds to gain a late 3rd or 4th.

1 hour ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

We can say that Harrison is an amazing prospect, while also saying Nabers is an amazing prospect. Having Harrison at WR2 might not be a knock on Harrison, but simply a credit to Nabers also being at that level.

In the past 10 drafts, the only two WR's that I think are as good prospects as Harrison and Nabers are 2014 Amari Cooper and 2021 Jamarr Chase. Just 2 guys in 10 years at that level makes it rare. Even rarer is that 2024 somehow has 2 other guys at that level too. It's a unique draft.

Nabors is fantastic and is an elite prospect. But Harrison is truly generational. He's as slam dunk as it gets. He's on par with Fitzgerald in 2004 as far as certainty goes. Only WR I'd rank higher in the last ~20 years is Megatron.

I want to know what MH Jr's 40 time is.  Is it in AJ Green/CeeDee Lamb territory?  Or is it in Calvin Johnson/Julio Jones territory?  Put it this way, if he were running low 4.3s in training, he would have run for scouts this offseason. 

So assume he runs in the upper 4.4 to 4.5 territory like Green and Lamb.  When deciding between Nabers and Harrison Jr, you ask yourself who would you rather have?  Jamarr Chase or CeeDee Lamb?  You're getting an All Pro either way, but I'd definitely rather have Chase.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Nabors is fantastic and is an elite prospect. But Harrison is truly generational. He's as slam dunk as it gets. He's on par with Fitzgerald in 2004 as far as certainty goes. Only WR I'd rank higher in the last ~20 years is Megatron.

I think the appeal or MHJr is is floor is really high (starting WR) but Nabors might end up the better overall player in the NFL. He has more juice.

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

Somewhat ironically given this ^, I’ve been meaning to tell you that recently I’ve been leaning more towards your opinion of going wr in the 2nd and waiting on corner until the 3rd.  I think the corner depth is deeper than I realized (I thought it was mostly slot corners in the 3rd).  I do still think DE is a solid possibility in the 2nd (along with OT), with FS as a wildcard.  Needless to say, I’m loving our options.

I could definitely see landing two receivers, particularly if we trade back from one of our 2nds to gain a late 3rd or 4th.

I would like to get inside Peters' head.  Did he want to move up with the Howell trade instead of taking multiple lower round picks (of equal point value)?  If so, trading down to pick up a 4th might be pointless.  I'd consider it a success if we can find legitimate value players at OT, WR and CB in rounds 2 and 3.  We have five picks - I'll add G and then most any other position.

I do not like the Profootball Network mock (Joshia Caldwell):

2nd Round

36 - Max Melton CB - OK, but Suamataia OT gets taken at pick 37

40 - Zach Frazier C  - why?  The following players are picked by other teams after pick 40:  Ricky Pearsall WR, Jordan Morgan OT, Ladd McConkey WR, Patrick Paul OT, Cooper Beebe G, Kiran Amegadjie OT. There are a number of CBs that are picked lower in round 2

3rd Round

67 Adisa Isaac Edge - OK.  We miss out on Ben Sinnott TE, Cade Stover TE, Dominich Puni G, Roman Wilson WR.

78 - Trey Benson RB - NO!!!  Bralen Trice Edge was still available, Mike Sainristil CB, Ja Tavion Sanders TE, Malachi Corley WR, Troy Franklin WR, and plenty of other WRs lower in round 3.

100 Trevin Wallace LB - Hmmm

A trade down from #40 to the mid 50s would net a 3rd round in the mid 80s.  But, the players that are still available at #40 in his mock would be difficult to pass on.  I could get players I want in round 3 simply by using pick 78 on something other than RB. We will know next Friday. 

17 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Didn't work for that MIT Guard on the Ravens. I don't think he made it to the end of his rookie contract.

So points of order here.

1. John Urschel was a Penn State guy.  He got his undergrad and master's degrees from PSU and was drafted from PSU.  His doctorate from MIT was after he retired.

2. He could have played much longer, he retired of his own choosing.  He had played in 40 games over three-four years with several starts and certainly could have hung on for awhile.

Guy is brilliant.  Even when he was in college, there were people in the math community who were begging him not to play in the NFL and save his brain. He had all sorts of opportunities but wanted to say he played in the league.  But after three years, he didn't want to risk CTE and wanted to pursue his academics.  Can't fault him for that.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

I would like to get inside Peters' head.  Did he want to move up with the Howell trade instead of taking multiple lower round picks (of equal point value)?  If so, trading down to pick up a 4th might be pointless.  I'd consider it a success if we can find legitimate value players at OT, WR and CB in rounds 2 and 3.  We have five picks - I'll add G and then most any other position.

2nd Round

40 - Zach Frazier C  - why?  The following players are picked by other teams after pick 40:  Ricky Pearsall WR, Jordan Morgan OT, Ladd McConkey WR, Patrick Paul OT, Cooper Beebe G, Kiran Amegadjie OT. There are a number of CBs that are picked lower in round 2

3rd Round

67 Adisa Isaac Edge - OK.  We miss out on Ben Sinnott TE, Cade Stover TE, Dominich Puni G, Roman Wilson WR.

78 - Trey Benson RB - NO!!!  Bralen Trice Edge was still available, Mike Sainristil CB, Ja Tavion Sanders TE, Malachi Corley WR, Troy Franklin WR, and plenty of other WRs lower in round 3.

A trade down from #40 to the mid 50s would net a 3rd round in the mid 80s.  But, the players that are still available at #40 in his mock would be difficult to pass on.  I could get players I want in round 3 simply by using pick 78 on something other than RB. We will know next Friday. 

That defraft does make a lot of sense.   At 36, I don't hate taking a corner if that is where the value but I don't necessarily feel like Melton is a value pick at 36.  40 makes no sense.  We just spent a third rounder on Ricky Stromberg last year at C and then signed Tyler Biadz to a 3 year deal.  Frazier is the consensus #2 center and if we were a center hungry team it would be an okay pick but given we just spent in free agency and used a third rounder last year, makes very little sense.  At 67 Adisa Iaac is an okay pick, but given the guys you mention available its not a good pick for us.   At 78 I see RB as a luxury not a need pick.   I am not all that familar with Trevin Wallace at 100 and its not a terrible place to pick LB, but it just seems like a bad draft from a Commanders standpoint.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

There has been a lot if talk, here and on another board, about trading back into the 1st round for a LT. Some even suggesting we use next year's #1.  I'm against that, if we trade picks we miss out on these types of players.

7 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Edit:  I’m curious about the breakout age factor.  @The Consigliere - how much does that affect your thoughts on Thomas and others?  How do the (pertinent) analytics stack these guys?

I know I’m not who you were asking, but I think it’s a little bit different story with Thomas compared to a guy like Legette. 

Thomas is a 3-year college player who had 350+ yards in both of his first two seasons before the big “breakout” in his final year. In those first two seasons, he’s fighting for reps with Nabers, Kayshon Boutte (who was a preseason All-American in 2022), Trey Palmer (6th round pick of the Bucs), Kyren Lacy (who is legit), Jaray Jenkins (big body who was an LSU mainstay), and Chris Hilton (who can play a little).

Legette, on the other hand, was a 5th-year super senior who had played 40+ games at SC before 2023 and put up a total of about 400 yards. Not being able to get on the field over guys like Bryan Edwards and Shi Smith as a freshman is one thing — but as a true senior, in 2022, he was 10th on the Game****s roster in receiving yards. The list of receivers who were ahead of him for snaps and targets from 2020-2022 would be mostly unheard-of even to devoted college football followers.

To me, they’re the two ends of the spectrum when it comes to breakout age (as well as these sort of “dominator” metrics and career YPRR numbers). One of them (Thomas) became a star in his last season — but it was year 3 and previously he was just lower on the totem pole than some legitimate college star receivers. The other one (Legette) also became a star in his last season — but it was year 5, and until then he’d done absolutely nothing, and the guys who got reps over him until last year were nobodies.

In short, Legette is pretty much the poster child for what you’re trying to avoid biting too hard on. Doesn’t mean he can’t be a good player. But the red flags on his college career are real. I think there’s enough mitigating stuff with Thomas (elite WR room, decent first two seasons, big 3rd year breakout) that you can feel mostly comfortable with him on that basis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

We’re either lacking or have question marks at FS, OT and corner.

2 of our DEs, 2 of our backers, our top TE, and our SS (or whatever Chinn’s going to play) are on one year deals.  Guard is interesting, especially with Cosmi set to hit FA next year.

While DE is the more important position (especially financially), the idea of drafting a backer to learn behind Wagner is super appealing, and that (to me) is a spot where picking up another 3rd or a 4th can have an impact.  Similar with TE.  And both are positions that seem to often have a bit of a learning curve.

Of course, I’m a big proponent of taking advantage of deep position in a draft class.  So for me, it’s wr, corner and OT (like you said), plus DE.

45 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

2nd Round

3rd Round

Yeah, the Frazier pick in particular is an odd one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

We’re either lacking or have question marks at FS, OT and corner.

2 of our DEs, 2 of our backers, our top TE, and our SS (or whatever Chinn’s going to play) are on one year deals.  Guard is interesting, especially with Cosmi set to hit FA next year.

While DE is the more important position (especially financially), the idea of drafting a backer to learn behind Wagner is super appealing, and that (to me) is a spot where picking up another 3rd or a 4th can have an impact.  Similar with TE.  And both are positions that seem to often have a bit of a learning curve.

Of course, I’m a big proponent of taking advantage of deep position in a draft class.  So for me, it’s wr, corner and OT (like you said), plus DE.

Yeah, the Frazier pick in particular is an odd one.

Yeah the only C I’m drafting that early is Graham Barton because he can play LG easily

10 hours ago, Going Commando said:

This is my WR ranking:

1 - Malik Nabers

2 - Marvin Harrison

3 - Rome Odunze

4 - Brian Thomas

5 - Xavier Legette

6 - Ladd McConkey

7 - Troy Franklin

8 - Keon Coleman

9 - Ricky Pearsall

10 - Jamari Thrash

11 - Roman Wilson

12 - Malachi Corley

13 - Ja'Lynn Polk

14 - Malik Washington

15 - Johnnie Wilson

16 - Tez Walker

17 - Jacob Cowing

18 - Xavier Worthy

19 - Jalen McMillan

20 - Adonai Mitchell

Hope Legette falls to us somehow; watched him live in Charlotte last year and he’s got it all 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seantaylor=god said:

Yeah the only C I’m drafting that early is Graham Barton because he can play LG easily

Do you think Powers-Johnson would not be able to play LG?

I think a guy with his size and strength is more than capable of playing guard. Which he did in college, incidentally, during his sophomore.

For me, if either of those guys makes it to 36, they’re the starting LG next season — and eventually taking over the C spot from Biadasz. 

I do agree about Frazier, though. He’s a bit more of a fire hydrant, I see him more as center only.

• Like 3

I'm really high on Frazier, so I'd be really happy. The Eagles have done incredibly well drafting centers, that transitioned to guard seamlessly. 

Barton, Frazier, JPJ would all be great with 40.

I'm especially shocked and don't understand the fall of SVP at all.

I'm also not counting out Cosmi moving back to RT.