Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

I bet the 9ers go hard after Mims. He'd be perfect to sit behind Silverback for a year and then take over. Probably could play RT as a rookie too to be honest.

I think we're gonna target someone with a higher floor who can be a more reliable day 1 starter, but probably has less upside. Someone like Morgan or Barton, even though I think both are probably gonna end up being Gs in the NFL.

I need to look up more about the Yale kid Arie whateverhisnameis. He might be a good target at 36 or 40 without having to move up.

Looking at how our FA might affect our draft, I’m thinking linebacker is less likely before our late 3rd, DE is less likely in round 2, Center is probably out (before the 7th anyway) unless its a G/C, and rb is less likely other than a late round flyer (guess I wouldn’t rule out using one of our two 5th rounders though).

Options are obviously thin at tackle at this point, so setting that aside, the two other potential FA signings I could see them making prior to the draft are corner and safety… though I could just as easily see waiting to see what the draft brings before (potentially) addressing those spots.

I think I’m now leaning away from trading up for a tackle.  Too many positions I’d love to address day 2 that line up with the draft talent - T, corner, WR, TE, Edge, G, S, ILB and a 2nd tackle.  Of course the prospect of landing a good tackle for 5 years is quite attractive…

17 hours ago, NOLA2DC said:

It doesn't matter one bit, and it points to the guys in shorts hypocrisy. I wonder if anyone without that name could do this and it not affect their stock. 

Well, it's suggestive of some things, and I would seriously consider moving Nabers ahead of him, or at least having them in the same tier now. 

But the thing is, the testing gives us very valuable data for TE and RB, but for WR's, the data seems to be noise, as long as the player is fast enough, and Harrison Jr definitely appears to be. The old joke that one of the dynasty FF analytics people, maybe at rotoviz mentioned a few years ago that I post about from time to time, was that the data on bench press #'s has more WR's hitting who are worse, than are better at the BP historically going back a decade plus. More players hitting that were worse. Basically from what I understand 4.65 is really the drop dead # for both RB's and WR's in terms of speed, doesn't mean there are guys that are worse who haven't hit (Keenan and Anquan being two massive sub 4.65 hits) but generally, if you test below 4.65, except in rare circumstances, you simply arent going to be effective, period. 

But the agility, explosion, and speed score #'s aren't that critical, and BP is actively unhelpful. For RB, and TE, it's totally different (especially TE). 

34 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Well, it's suggestive of some things, and I would seriously consider moving Nabers ahead of him, or at least having them in the same tier now. 

But the thing is, the testing gives us very valuable data for TE and RB, but for WR's, the data seems to be noise, as long as the player is fast enough, and Harrison Jr definitely appears to be. The old joke that one of the dynasty FF analytics people, maybe at rotoviz mentioned a few years ago that I post about from time to time, was that the data on bench press #'s has more WR's hitting who are worse, than are better at the BP historically going back a decade plus. More players hitting that were worse. Basically from what I understand 4.65 is really the drop dead # for both RB's and WR's in terms of speed, doesn't mean there are guys that are worse who haven't hit (Keenan and Anquan being two massive sub 4.65 hits) but generally, if you test below 4.65, except in rare circumstances, you simply arent going to be effective, period. 

But the agility, explosion, and speed score #'s aren't that critical, and BP is actively unhelpful. For RB, and TE, it's totally different (especially TE). 

I don't think the drill testing outweighs the game tape for the top guys; you see the size and production in one of the top conferences, so there's not really any question on what you're getting. When considering the pedigree, it's a no-brainer. I think the drills benefit less know guys like Veron Davis when he came out of College Park years ago. I'm not sure if it matters for TEs and RBs coming from Power 5 schools because you have the film of them performing against other future pros. 

Really hope we are able to draft Hartman with our 7th or as an UDFA.  Looks like Hartman is standing at attention!  LOL

Edited by RWJ

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You might as well drop your draft crush now, before he breaks your heart. :ols:

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

So we are at the ND Pro-Day….

• OT Joe Alt
  • QB Sam Hartman
  • RB Audric Estime
  • OT Blake Fisher
  • CB Cam Hart
  • DE Javontae Jean-Baptiste
  • LB JD Bertrand
  • LB Marist Liufau

Fisher, Bertrand day 3

Cam Hart day 2

Edited by Koolblue13

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

So we are at the ND Pro-Day….

• OT Joe Alt
  • QB Sam Hartman
  • RB Audric Estime
  • OT Blake Fisher
  • CB Cam Hart
  • DE Javontae Jean-Baptiste
  • LB JD Bertrand
  • LB Marist Liufau

Blake Fisher and Cam Hart would be good Day 2 picks. I'm starting to look at CB's now and Cam Hart is a bit of an enigma. He rarely gets thrown at. They throw it at the guy opposite him all the time (Benjamin Morrison), except that guy is really good. So I'm a little confused on what to think of this Cam Hart avoidance.

Like, Hart has outside leverage on Marvin Harrison Jr, whose running an inside breaking route. This should be the choice, yet the QB decides to go elsewhere. Hart isn't much of a run defender at all, but he's a pest when running with a WR down the sideline. Lots of arm/hand fighting to prevent the WR from really separating. He's usually not on the guys back hip like glue (that's Benjamin Morrison), but he's still usually set up a yard further away with his hips in the right direction ready to close.

I watched Notre Dame D vs USC to see Hart against a super "buy time and scramble drill QB" in Caleb Williams. Never looked Hart's way as a 1st read, did get to him as a late read on a series of moves from his WR to separate. Side note, but dear god was Caleb Williams atrocious. I'm amazed how much the draftnik community seems to disparage Drake Maye for a bad game yet ignore a bad game from Caleb. I think Caleb goes to the Bears #1 overall. But I don't think it should be set in stone. I think every QB has some warts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

There are several other ND players they may have some interest in evaluating further.

OT Fisher

CB Hart

LB Liufau

QB Hartman (not a fan)

:229:The Rook

• Like 1

Joe Milton is my late round draft crush, especially if we are drafting Daniels. Let him be qb3 behind Mariota. If there is a coach out there that can match Milton’s mental game to his physical abilities then he could be a real gem of a late round pick. I just rewatched his pro day, the dude has a cannon, he is fast, big, strong. Get this guy in the building and let him sit and learn for a year or 2 then let him loose in the preseason. If his mental game isn’t there by then, than cut bait. But if he can become a decent passer, he’d be a great back up for JD5. We wouldn’t have to change the offense at all if he needed to start.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mac8887 said:

Joe Milton is my late round draft crush, especially if we are drafting Daniels. Let him be qb3 behind Mariota. If there is a coach out there that can match Milton’s mental game to his physical abilities then he could be a real gem of a late round pick. I just rewatched his pro day, the dude has a cannon, he is fast, big, strong. Get this guy in the building and let him sit and learn for a year or 2 then let him loose in the preseason. If his mental game isn’t there by then, than cut bait. But if he can become a decent passer, he’d be a great back up for JD5. We wouldn’t have to change the offense at all if he needed to start.

Meh, he may be the strongest armed QB ever, but there have been loads of super strong armed QB's that only throw rockets and they amount to nothing.

If he hasn't figured out there's more to being a QB by now, he won't. Also, a 3rd string QB needs to run the scout team. Milton isn't capable of that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RWJ said:

Really hope we are able to draft Hartman with our 7th or as an UDFA.  Looks like Hartman is standing at attention!  LOL

It’s not very impressive if your junk can be mistaken for an inguinal hernia. 😂

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

It’s not very impressive if your junk can be mistaken for an inguinal hernia. 😂

I like the guy.  :)  

On 3/20/2024 at 1:03 PM, CommanderInTheRye said:

If the cast of Undisputed in general is "Dumb and Dumber" then Skip specifically is "Dumberer".

It's just an entertainment. A pure circus clown show where the loudest most outrageous talking carnival barker brings the most rubes in to mindlessly watch the show while they're programmed and slowly fleeced of their critical thinking skills.

While none of these talking heads have much credibility in my eyes, a few, like Skip, have completely lost my respect.

That said, my suggestion, for all of those focused on us taking a specific player at #2, is that you enjoy the show, but realize that we're no longer running a carnival and we could select any of the top four qbs.

Plus, nobody knows what we're really thinking or doing.

Your profile picture takes me back to this:  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

None of it matters if he got a guarantee from someone in the top 5. 

Literally none of it.

Hartman is pretty interesting. Of course not as a starting quarterback. His career path actually reminds of Brock Purdy a little. He burst on the scene early in his career and then expectations were really high. I wouldn’t be upset if they took a 6-7th round flier on him. The bust percentage is like 80 percent on quarterbacks so taking 2 this draft would be ideal.

Things I've heard on the Junkies:

"Daniels will invigorate this fanbase" My thought: Who cares? Winning will do far more.

"Daniels can make plays off schedule...and you don't want our QB getting hurt behind that line, so he needs that." This from a Caller who has no idea what he's talking about.

"Daniels has the higher ceiling." Um. No, he doesn't. Maye is the #2 prospect (weighted by positional value) for a reason. His size, arm, ceiling is far higher as a quarterback.

I feel like people are going to be very disappointed by Drake Maye.

28 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Things I've heard on the Junkies:

"Daniels will invigorate this fanbase" My thought: Who cares? Winning will do far more.

"Daniels can make plays off schedule...and you don't want our QB getting hurt behind that line, so he needs that." This from a Caller who has no idea what he's talking about.

"Daniels has the higher ceiling." Um. No, he doesn't. Maye is the #2 prospect (weighted by positional value) for a reason. His size, arm, ceiling is far higher as a quarterback.

I feel like people are going to be very disappointed by Drake Maye.

The Junkies are idiots

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

24 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Yes, yes they are--and the callers are worse.

The last thing we need is for the choice of draft picks or free agents to be influenced by a desire to reinvigorate the fan base.  That approach smacks of the prior ownership group. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1