Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

9 hours ago, KDawg said:

Williams has the best ability to create and escape. He does a real nice job keeping his eyes down field and making something out of nothing. He’s pocket mobility is otherworldly. However, he has an average time to throw off 3.27 seconds. Part of that is creating. Part of that is he isn’t always seeing the field as clear as he can. He also often misses the open read to try to make the bigger play and sometimes that backfires. 

Drake Maye already has a little gunshy in him from his line. He has less time to throw but he gets happy feet and in the views we have access to doesn’t always have his eyes downfield. He processes faster, but has less control at times over his process speed. At times, he bails when he shouldn’t and sacks himself. Similar to Howell in that regard. And, like Howell, part of that is a processing issue.

Daniels can process a wide open receiver extremely quickly, and get the ball there. But when he sees a receiver that is running contested he doesn’t trust his eyes or arm and then takes off. He is generally a 1-2 read, if they are same side of the field, and bails. That means he can process his first few reads quickly but doesn’t always get through his reads and tends to bail on instinct. His processing speed isn’t necessarily slow, but he doesn’t trust himself enough in his processing. 

Thanks, appreciate those summaries.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Conn said:

Did anyone have a clue that Mahomes was the type of processor he obviously is? 

That’s a serious question, I don’t remember when he was coming out if that was considered a positive for him. I remember him being perceived as being incredibly raw. Seems like with a lot of these guys, especially when scheme and what they’re asked to do is taken into account—it’s not always easy to tell what they’re seeing or not seeing. If it was easy to nail which guys are excellent processors I think the hit rate on QBs would be a lot higher. Seems like one of the harder things to judge. But are there examples of guys who weren’t obviously great processors in college who showed it later with NFL coaching and discipline? Seems like there would be a bunch 

I agree. 

Though, you can see Mahomes processing speed when you rewatch in some of his college games. But his awkward throwing motion and no neck style stand out as potential reasons for why it was overlooked. But all things considered, I agree completely. Which brings me back to my question: what qualifies as an expert and why is it any different?

• Like 3

I love Sedrick Van Pran.  IMO he has no real weaknesses, and I still like him as OC1 and maybe even IOL1.  Three year starter and leader of one of the best lines in CFB.  First team All American. Only one sack surrendered in his career at Georgia, and none in the last two seasons.  Speed is elite, including both first step quickness and ability to climb and block in space.  Hands are explosive and length looks good for a center.  Core and lower body strength are outstanding, giving him an impressive ability to anchor bigger IDLs.  Heads up player with great instincts.

His film is great.  Tough player who did yeoman's work in a rough situation against Tennessee.  Dominated and had fun against Ole Miss and Kentucky.  I think he is fantastic and projects as a rock solid year one starting center with Pro Bowl caliber upside.  I think he's a future mainstay and leader of an NFL OL.  His draft projections are really varied right now.  PFF is the lowest on him, having him at 114 on their board.  NFLDraftBuzz has him 89th, and Tankathon is the highest on him at 64.  Judging from that, I'd say his draft range is somewhere between the end of the second round and first half of the third.  I think PFF is way too low on him and that he will go before the fourth.

TBH I think they are all way too low on him, and he would definitely be a top 40 player on my personal board.  He's a better prospect than Amarius Mims, who is generally ranked in the 20s.

Speaking of Mims, he is really checkered for me.  Seeing him actually play feels like a rare bird sighting.  He missed half the Tennessee game, which was disappointing because their line was already shuffled from losing Rateledge.  His unsteady presence in their line up made the right side of their line unreliable.  I also don't love his run blocking.  The lack of live game reps really shows, as there is some lack of awareness and ability to sort through the second level mess, especially when he's out in space.  And I think there is some laziness as a run blocker too.

But I can also see the basis for the high upside projections too.  He is absolutely enormous, and it's well distributed mass with no sloppiness very similar to Jordan Mailata.  His kick step is very explosive and he's a good runner.  And his length and functional power are totally dominant in pass pro.  Guys who try to come in hot and run by him without dealing with his hands are likely to get ragdolled.

I don't know about him.  You might be getting the next Jordan Mailata with him, and he's probably the most physically gifted OT in the class.  But he's ultra risky and reliability has to be a major factor in grading OLs because this is not a rotational position and losing OLs to attrition is a major drag on the offense.  Plus he's going to be a huge project due to only playing about 400-500 snaps. 

Let someone else draft this kid in the top 40 and take in the risk.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Haven't watched Gray yet

It was a hard watch for me the Senior Bowl this year

I was only able to watch the first quarter of the game. It was not overly exciting and sounds like it was slower after that.

It was very difficult to get a feel for the OL play which I found myself most interested in. I was able to focus on Sinnott for a spell. He looked really good blocking but did appear to have difficulty getting separation. In fairness there was not a lot time developing plays. Would have liked seeing him at FB or H-back but didn't occur in the first quarter.

Rattler looked pretty good. The 2 small RB's Schrader and Bailey were having success running and receiving on screens. There was some good DB and LB play which I think was expected based on the week of practices. 

• Like 1

OTs I'm interested in are Paul, Goncalves and Kiran Amijwhatever.

Beebe I wouldn't pass on and think he might be the best OL in this draft.

When it comes to center, I don't have an order for the top 3, but I wouldn't pass any of them in the second and because of position value, I'd take one before Beebe.

The third is going to have some good LBer prospects. I think there's a lot of future starters in this draft. TE is a lot more thin, but there are some really good ones.

• Like 1

Mel & Field Yates’s Senior Bowl Risers & Fallers

Risers:

Jackson Powers Johnson C

Darius Robinson DL

Quinyon Mitchell CB

Brendan Rice WR

Dominick Puni OL

TE Class underwhelmed

Initial fallers but have recovered:

Bo Nix

Michael Penix Jr.

Fallers:

Xavier Leggette WR

Kool-Aid McKinstry CB

Honorable Mention Risers:

Ricky Pearsall WR

Isaiah Davis OL

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

I love Sedrick Van Pran.  IMO he has no real weaknesses, and I still like him as OC1 and maybe even IOL1.  Three year starter and leader of one of the best lines in CFB.  First team All American. Only one sack surrendered in his career at Georgia, and none in the last two seasons.  Speed is elite, including both first step quickness and ability to climb and block in space.  Hands are explosive and length looks good for a center.  Core and lower body strength are outstanding, giving him an impressive ability to anchor bigger IDLs.  Heads up player with great instincts.

His film is great.  Tough player who did yeoman's work in a rough situation against Tennessee.  Dominated and had fun against Ole Miss and Kentucky.  I think he is fantastic and projects as a rock solid year one starting center with Pro Bowl caliber upside.  I think he's a future mainstay and leader of an NFL OL.  His draft projections are really varied right now.  PFF is the lowest on him, having him at 114 on their board.  NFLDraftBuzz has him 89th, and Tankathon is the highest on him at 64.  Judging from that, I'd say his draft range is somewhere between the end of the second round and first half of the third.  I think PFF is way too low on him and that he will go before the fourth.

TBH I think they are all way too low on him, and he would definitely be a top 40 player on my personal board.  He's a better prospect than Amarius Mims, who is generally ranked in the 20s.

Speaking of Mims, he is really checkered for me.  Seeing him actually play feels like a rare bird sighting.  He missed half the Tennessee game, which was disappointing because their line was already shuffled from losing Rateledge.  His unsteady presence in their line up made the right side of their line unreliable.  I also don't love his run blocking.  The lack of live game reps really shows, as there is some lack of awareness and ability to sort through the second level mess, especially when he's out in space.  And I think there is some laziness as a run blocker too.

But I can also see the basis for the high upside projections too.  He is absolutely enormous, and it's well distributed mass with no sloppiness very similar to Jordan Mailata.  His kick step is very explosive and he's a good runner.  And his length and functional power are totally dominant in pass pro.  Guys who try to come in hot and run by him without dealing with his hands are likely to get ragdolled.

I don't know about him.  You might be getting the next Jordan Mailata with him, and he's probably the most physically gifted OT in the class.  But he's ultra risky and reliability has to be a major factor in grading OLs because this is not a rotational position and losing OLs to attrition is a major drag on the offense.  Plus he's going to be a huge project due to only playing about 400-500 snaps. 

Let someone else draft this kid in the top 40 and take in the risk.

I like Van Pran too. Not as much as JPJ but would be happy with either in the 2nd. 

I'd take a stab at Mims in the 2nd but definitely wouldn't trade up for him. I think the only OT I'd trade up for is Fuaga but he might end up going top 15 at this rate.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Chump Bailey said:

Risers:

Jackson Powers Johnson C

Darius Robinson DL

Quinyon Mitchell CB

Brendan Rice WR

Dominick Puni OL

TE Class underwhelmed

Bo Nix

Michael Penix Jr.

Fallers:

Xavier Leggette WR

Kool-Aid McKinstry CB

Ricky Pearsall WR

Isaiah Davis OL

Brendan Rice is a guy I hear mixed things on.  A podcast I watched said he showed decent route running and looked good in the redzone, but his acceleration looked meh, which affected his ability to beat press coverage and sometimes to get good separation.  Others like Mel like him.  I do wonder if some of the good buzz is subconscioiusly to stay on his father's good side (Jerry Rice)

9 minutes ago, philibusters said:

Brendan Rice is a guy I hear mixed things on.  A podcast I watched said he showed decent route running and looked good in the redzone, but his acceleration looked meh, which affected his ability to beat press coverage and sometimes to get good separation.  Others like Mel like him.  I do wonder if some of the good buzz is subconscioiusly to stay on his father's good side (Jerry Rice)

He's hard to figure and a mixed bag somewhat like Tez Walker who I am higher on than most. He's been having a case of the dropsies but only had 3 drops his last year and he can separate with ease. Rice is not great at contested catches but overall he has the skills to succeed at the next level IMO. Apparently we're looking at Joshua Cephus - I think he has a brother that played with the Lions for a bit that I liked coming out. I looked at him but did not see enough to rank him very high personally. I'd much rather us take a hard look at Christian McCaffrey's brother Luke. 

I like a lot of these WR's but my favorites are:

Brian Thomas Jr.

Ladd 

Corley

Jalen McMillian

Jermaine Burton

Thrash

Luke McCaffrey

Edited by Chump Bailey
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, philibusters said:

Oh, had no idea about the family history. Well, he's not quick or fast. But he won with effort and a little physicality. I don't think he'll amount to anything in the Pro's, but maybe he figures out how to be crafty against zones. Day 3. I wouldn't call him a sleeper. The hit rate for Day 3 WR's (that don't have off the field issues causing them to fall) is abysmal.

His size is good at 6'2 and 210. So maybe he can figure out how to be worth playing time through special teams, blocking etc.

19 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

He's hard to figure and a mixed bag somewhat like Tez Walker who I am higher on than most. He's been having a case of the dropsies but only had 3 drops his last year and he can separate with ease.

I think after a weak Senior Bowl, Tez Walker is probably no longer a first or second round pick so the stakes will be lower if you decide to take the risk.  If I had to guess I think he'll be a day 3 guy.    But he had a case of the dropsies during the senior bowl (which may not a long term issue) but in addition to that he didn't do anything well to standout either.  It wasn't like his speed or explosiveness stood out or his route running.  Of the WR's he may have dropped the furtherest at the senior bowl.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I think after a weak Senior Bowl, Tez Walker is probably no longer a first or second round pick so the stakes will be lower if you decide to take the risk.  If I had to guess I think he'll be a day 3 guy.    But he had a case of the dropsies during the senior bowl (which may not a long term issue) but in addition to that he didn't do anything well to standout either.  It wasn't like his speed or explosiveness stood out or his route running.  Of the WR's he may have dropped the furtherest at the senior bowl.

Very possible. He did not do himself any favors. 

39 minutes ago, philibusters said:

His drops were not just during the senior bowl. If you watch a lot of Drake Maye tape you'll see Tez is responsible for a good many drops this season, way more than 3, including one that clanked off his hands for an interception. But it's true he was the only UNC receiver regularly able to get separation.

Edited by Rolo Tomasie

I still don't think this WR class is that good beyond the first round locks.  Johnny Wilson is intriguing but frustrating.  Luke McCaffrey is clean but slow.  Rice is slow.  McConkey is explosive and gifted but small.  Leggette is powerful and a burner in the open field, but lacks twitchy speed and is a weak route runner.  Franklin is fast as hell but has no strength.  Ditto for Worthy, who also lacks size.  Mitchell does have size and he's got slick hands and ball tracking ability, but he has no strength in his legs at all and he's not explosive or a YAC threat.  Coleman has size and deep speed but bad hands and no production.  Walker sucks.   Polk has good hands and traits but only runs like four routes.

Polk and McConkey are the only non first round prospects I really like.  The only ones who I am confident would upgrade our WR room, and be viable BPA candidates at any of our picks in the second or third.  The OL class is a lot better than the WR class this year, and the early second round is going to be a sweet spot for DL and DB talent too.  The third is where good IOL, LB, and RB prospects will go, and the guys at LB2-4 and RB1-3 are way better than the WR8-10 who will be on the board in the third.

I like a class where we get something like:

Rd 1 - Maye

Rd 2 - Chop Robinson/Quinyon Mitchell

Rd 2 - Patrick Paul

Rd 3 - Van Pran

Rd 3 - Estime

Rd 4 - Peyton Wilson/Jeremiah Trotter Jr

More than I like one where we pick a WR on day 2.  But I also wouldn't be against picking Polk or McConkey with one of the seconds.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I still don't think this WR class is that good beyond the first round locks.  Johnny Wilson is intriguing but frustrating.  Luke McCaffrey is clean but slow.  Rice is slow.  McConkey is explosive and gifted but small.  Leggette is powerful and a burner in the open field, but lacks twitchy speed and is a weak route runner.  Franklin is fast as hell but has no strength.  Ditto for Worthy, who also lacks size.  Mitchell does have size and he's got slick hands and ball tracking ability, but he has no strength in his legs at all and he's not explosive or a YAC threat.  Coleman has size and deep speed but bad hands and no production.  Walker sucks.   Polk has good hands and traits but only runs like four routes.

Polk and McConkey are the only non first round prospects I really like.  The only ones who I am confident would upgrade our WR room, and be viable BPA candidates at any of our picks in the second or third.  The OL class is a lot better than the WR class this year, and the early second round is going to be a sweet spot for DL and DB talent too.  The third is where good IOL, LB, and RB prospects will go, and the guys at LB2-4 and RB1-3 are way better than the WR8-10 who will be on the board in the third.

Rd 1 - Maye

Rd 2 - Patrick Paul

Rd 3 - Van Pran

Rd 3 - Estime

More than I like one where we pick a WR on day 2.  But I also wouldn't be against picking Polk or McConkey with one of the seconds.

I think Mitchell is a 1st round lock after the Senior Bowl practice week.  Frankly, he's battling Arnold for CB1 IMO.

Matt Miller just released a 2-round mock.  He has us taking Maye, Braswell, and Chop.  I don't know if we can pass on OL with both of our 2nd rounders.  We have to take one unless we go ham on it in FA.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mhd24 said:

I think Mitchell is a 1st round lock after the Senior Bowl practice week.  Frankly, he's battling Arnold for CB1 IMO.

Matt Miller just released a 2-round mock.  He has us taking Maye, Braswell, and Chop.  I don't know if we can pass on OL with both of our 2nd rounders.  We have to take one unless we go ham on it in FA.

There will be a shocking first round faller on the defensive side of the ball at 36 I think.  My gut says DB or Edge.

I've been meaning to go back and watch Chop and Braswell, and this is a good chance to do it.  My initial take on Chop was really positive, on Braswell not as much.  But I want to rewatch to land on stronger takes for both.  Chop's stock is surprisingly low, and it wouldn't be strange for either to be on the board at 36.

I also think there is a small chance that Latu makes it to 36.  His early first round stock isn't as firm as I feel like it should be, and he has real warts between the medical history and the lack of hand fighting skill and stack/shed proficiency.

Regardless, I think an ideal class for us entails either getting that round one defensive faller at 36 or someone like Cooper Beebe, and then getting an OT like Paul or Amegadjie with the other second.  That's how we maximize our upside IMO.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

There will be a shocking first round faller on the defensive side of the ball at 36 I think.  My gut says DB or Edge.

I've been meaning to go back and watch Chop and Braswell, and this is a good chance to do it.  My initial take on Chop was really positive, on Braswell not as much.  But I want to rewatch to land on stronger takes for both.  Chop's stock is surprisingly low, and it wouldn't be strange for either to be on the board at 36.

I also think there is a small chance that Latu makes it to 36.  His early first round stock isn't as firm as I feel like it should be, and he has real warts between the medical history and the lack of hand fighting skill and stack/shed proficiency.

Regardless, I think an ideal class for us entails either getting that round one defensive faller at 36 or someone like Cooper Beebe, and then getting an OT like Paul or Amegadjie with the other second.  That's how we maximize our upside IMO.

Right now, I think the first round will have the following 24 players taken:

QB (4):  Caleb, Drake, Daniels, McCarthy

TE (1):  Bowers

WR (4):  MHJ, Nabers, Odunze, Thomas

OT (6):  Alt, Fuaga, Fashanu, Latham, Guyton, Fautanu

DT (2):  Murphy, Newton

Edge (3):  Turner, Verse, Latu

DB (4):  Mitchell, Arnold, Wiggins, DeJean

After that, I figure 1-2 IOL may go (JPJ, Barton), another DB or two (Rickstraw Mckinstry), another WR (Coleman perhaps), and maybe Nix at the end of the 1st (although I doubt it tbh).  

Some OL are going to be 1st rounders because the perceived need and strength of the position.

Edited by mhd24
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

Rd 1 - Maye

Rd 2 - Patrick Paul

Rd 3 - Van Pran

Rd 3 - Estime

I need to watch Ricky Pearsall and Roman Wilson. They could be good slot guys in the early 3rd that reportedly had great Senior Bowls with no trouble separating.

We have so many holes that we can't come close to fixing everything. So I'd simply like to add enough talent on offense so the rare shot at a QB taken 2nd overall has a better chance of developing.

If that means double dipping by signing Tee Higgins in FA, and also drafting a slot WR in Day 2, then so be it. The QB could be here for 15-20 years. Anything to increase their odds.

Normally I'd campaign for spreading resources around to both sides of the ball. Not right now, unless BPA available is clearly defense.

Hypothetical scenario with four options. These all assume we pick QB at #2.

1. Would you rather trade back into the first at around pick #15, giving up both seconds #36 and #40

2. Trade back into the first at around pick #23, giving up something like our second #40, first third #67 and probably our fourth #103

3. Look for someone willing to trade up for one of our seconds, grabbing picks in this and next years draft. 

4. No moves at all, other than maybe some late round pick swapping.

Personally I like option 2, we could still grab a difference maker. I’d imagine there’d be some good talent at OT, WR, or Edge available.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2024 at 7:55 AM, Chump Bailey said:

Risers:

Jackson Powers Johnson C

Darius Robinson DL

Quinyon Mitchell CB

Brendan Rice WR

Dominick Puni OL

TE Class underwhelmed

Bo Nix

Michael Penix Jr.

Fallers:

Xavier Leggette WR

Kool-Aid McKinstry CB

Ricky Pearsall WR

Isaiah Davis OL

My eldest son went to High School with Brendan Rice. I watched him play - going to be cool to watch him get drafted and try to make it in the NFL.

Hes got good size but not great speed. He ran a very very limited route tree at HS but I’d assume that’s broadened during his College career. What he did do well was block on the perimeter and even from tight splits and off motion as a lead. He’s not bad on RAC, shifty runner with the ball in his hands though he won’t run away from NFL speed.

He will make an NFL roster but he’s a #3 or #4 type for me at best. He’d work well in a run heavy scheme where he will block for you and then catch some screens, slants and drags. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mh86 said:

Hypothetical scenario with four options. These all assume we pick QB at #2.

1. Would you rather trade back into the first at around pick #15, giving up both seconds #36 and #40

2. Trade back into the first at around pick #23, giving up something like our second #40, first third #67 and probably our fourth #103

3. Look for someone willing to trade up for one of our seconds, grabbing picks in this and next years draft. 

4. No moves at all, other than maybe some late round pick swapping.

Personally I like option 2, we could still grab a difference maker. I’d imagine there’d be some good talent at OT, WR, or Edge available.

Depending on how free agency goes, and if we can shore up the o-line / defensive holes, I would actually love option 2 if Brian Thomas Jr. is still on the board.  I don’t think there is another wr in this draft with his combo of size, speed, and run after catch ability.  Pair him with Drizzy Drake and we are golden!

• Thumb up 1