Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

2 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

PFF Analyst Trevor Sikkema believes Jackson-Powers is going in the 1st round.

Yeah this seems to be a trending feeling due to the way he is showing up and off at the Senior Bowl. They all seem to think as solid as he is at C, he can also play well at G. I have seem him as high as the early 20's recently. That's an incredibly high spot for a C

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

Yep. Or AJ Brown.  He's got the big slot bully build.  He doesn't have their after the catch wiggle and ability to change directions, but he looks like a faster straight line runner.

Both Samuel and Brown were second round picks too, with Deebo going 36th overall.

I remember Deebo's senior bowl week reasonably well.  He was cooking dudes in practice with his route running, especially underneath stuff.  He boosted his draft stock that week.  People might not remember now, but Deebo's stock was actually pretty weak for most of his senior year, and he was being mocked as a mid rounder by most places.  Deebo was one of my guys that year so I do remember it.  He spent so much time trying to get his speed and confidence back from his leg injury from his Junior season, and he didn't look fast again until about the Texas A&M game.  From then on it was basically a continuous string of big games, and by the Ole Miss game it was like yep, the Old Deebo is back.  Then he had a big SB week and kind of shot up into fringe first round consideration.

I haven't seen practice work of XL tearing up guys at the SB week like Deebo did yet, but there is still time.

I remember AJ Brown's final season too.  He was one of the guys I was wrong about.  I didn't like a lot of his film, and learned a lesson about not judging a prospect too negatively based on his usage and offensive system.  AJ Brown was miscast as a jitterbug YAC weapon in a terribly inefficient Ole Miss offense that had four NFL receivers in it, forcefeeding Brown a million screen passes that hit for about four yards a pop.  Brown's stock valuation was the opposite of Deebo's.  He went into his senior season considered a top five pick, and stayed there for most of the year.  Then he steadily dropped over the course of draft season until he ended up as a second round gem.

I also initially hated AJ Brown as a prospect. But then someone told me to go back and watch his games after DK Metcalf got hurt. They moved Brown outside and oh man did the film show a wildly different prospect. Route running was so much better there than in that slot scheme that mostly just had him doing hook routes.

Really looking forward to video cutups of all the senior bowl matchups. I think the closer camera angles show a lot of personality as well.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Yep I thought he would be too. Id trade up 36 plus a third to move up and get him. Pair our new franchise QB with his C for the next decade.

18 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Yeah this seems to be a trending feeling due to the way he is showing up and off at the Senior Bowl. They all seem to think as solid as he is at C, he can also play well at G. I have seem him as high as the early 20's recently. That's an incredibly high spot for a C

He isnt getting past Philly’s first rounder. They need to replace Kelce.

• Like 2

I've seen a lot of talk about centers but does that mean we're out on Stromberg? I thought he was a promising prospect although I know he was injured at some point last season. Or are we thinking he's more guard material?

Hate to have to draft a center two years in a row but it is an important position. 

Kind of looking into Josh Cephus's character issues, and I found an article that said he's been arrested for a DUI crash, and then again later for violating the terms of his release.

I don't know about this dude.  His highlights look pretty good, but seems like he could have maturity and reliability issues.

• Thumb down 1

26 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Need to completely pivot now that we have a defensive minded HC you know we're gonna be spending more resources on that side of the ball...again...

Why ? In free agency we will go after D like we always were, couple from the pukes more likely now.

Doesn’t change our needs on offense, and depending on the choice of OC and QB route, I didn’t see any change in approach to the roster build.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Need to completely pivot now that we have a defensive minded HC you know we're gonna be spending more resources on that side of the ball...again...

A lot of DC's turned HC have hubris they can coach up defenders and find talent later. They often have their defenses get worse. That said, starting in 2015 when Quinn took over in Atlanta the GM drafted defenders with the 1st two picks in 2015, 2016, and 2017. What hurts is all of those picks kind of sucked, although Deion Jones was good for a bit.

He's going to come in here and (checks notes) see that we have holes at Edge, LB, CB, and S. Perfect! He'll totally be fine with draft capital going to the offensive side of the ball to help a rookie QB out.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

Good. I want to see some risers at center and IOL. Because it is a really good FA crop for them. And I think we address it there. Hopefully one of the tackles makes it to us in the 2nd. Morgan has struggled at the Senior Bowl. But his tape is really good. There was some saying he might go late first. Maybe not now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Isn't the GM supposed to be making those decisions now?

• Like 1

4. It’s Brock Bowers and then …

Bowers has a chance to be a top-10 pick after dominating at Georgia, but the tight end class has a steep drop-off after him.

In Mobile, the group was relatively weak compared to most other positions. Earlier in the week I wrote about Kansas State’s Ben Sinnott, who was the best of the bunch despite a few drops Wednesday. That said, even Sinnott is a potential Day 3 pick with upside.

If a team needs to upgrade at tight end, the best route could be free agency with someone such as Dalton Schultz or Zach Ertz.

1. The quarterback questions are legitimate

It’s an almost universal opinion that USC’s Caleb Williams, North Carolina’s Drake Maye and LSU’s Jayden Daniels are going to be the first quarterbacks taken in the draft, and potentially as the first three picks.

After them, Oregon’s Bo Nix and Washington’s Michael Penix Jr. are likely next in line. As I wrote Wednesday night, that remains true, but the duo isn’t doing itself any favors here in Mobile.

While each put up massive numbers in the Pac-12 this year, there are real questions surrounding both.

Nix struggled at Auburn for three years, throwing for a combined 39 touchdowns against 16 interceptions while never eclipsing 2,600 passing yards in a season. At Oregon, playing in a much more quarterback-friendly scheme, his numbers skyrocketed. In 2023 alone, he threw for 4,508 yards, 45 touchdowns and three interceptions.

In Mobile, Nix occasionally struggled with accuracy and getting the ball out. Considering his lack of chemistry with the receivers, some of that was understandable, but it still raises questions.

The same is true of Penix, who played four injury-marred seasons for Indiana and produced very little. Then, surrounded by a better scheme and elite receivers, Penix blossomed into a star, registering 67 touchdown passes and more than 9,500 yards over the past two campaigns.

Ultimately, with both quarterbacks facing questions of whether they or their schemes deserve more credit, and considering their ages are a concern (Nix turns 24 years old in February, as does Penix in May), this week hasn't helped either of their draft stock.

1 minute ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

Any tight ends impressing? I saw Sinnott doing pretty well early but he’s more H back.

I don't think Sinnott is an H back type IMO.  He comes off to me more like a traditional Y TE. 

• Like 1

So Dallas drafts Mazi Smith a 330 lb 1 Tech. They have him drop 40 pounds and switch to 3 tech.

Makes me wonder if the switch Darius Robinson apparently just did appeals to Dan Quinn. He was a IDL guy, lost some weight and is now just a really large 4-6 Tech that provides unique traits in a different alignment. He plays more at 6 Tech now, so a step outside the OT. He weighs somewhere around 285-290. Like how Quinyon Mitchell is the talk of Senior Bowl at CB. Supposedly Darius Robinson is the talk of Senior Bowl at Edge. The talk as in "Oh I wasn't sure, but this guy can really play". I'm reading that multiple think he's elevated his stock to that borderline 1st/2nd round range.

In addition, Dan Quinn came up in Seattle, and that Cover 3 defense liked having a really large DE opposite a super athlete. They kind of went extreme by having a 320 lb IDL Red Bryant play DE, with Bruce Irvin opposite.

Our Edge group blows. Maybe he's a target with one of our 2nd rounders.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't think Sinnott is an H back type IMO.  He comes off to me more like a traditional Y TE. 

Man, to me he can kind fit all the TE and Hback roles like some of his college work. I stood out playing all around.

• Like 2

Just now, DWinzit said:

Man, to me he can kind fit all the TE and Hback roles like some of his college work. I stood out playing all around.

Most of his snaps, about 2 to 1 was him in line.  Good blocker, too.  He to me looks like a dude that majors as a Y-TE in the NFL.  He played some in the backfield too, agree, so he can serve in that H back role.  But I wouldn't define him as an H back TE IMHO.  To me he's more a traditional Y considering his size and blocking ability.

He's the guy more than any other that am dying to see what he runs.  How high or not I am on him will depend some on his speed.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Looking at his weigh in, he's on the small side for a traditional Y.  He's only 6'4 flat and 254 lbs, and his wingspan is somehow an inch shorter than Jaheim Bell's.

I think size is going to drop him in the draft.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Most of his snaps, about 2 to 1 was him in line.  Good blocker, too.  He to me looks like a dude that majors as a Y-TE in the NFL.  He played some in the backfield too, agree, so he can serve in that H back role.  But I wouldn't define him as an H back TE IMHO.  To me he's more a traditional Y considering his size and blocking ability.

He's the guy more than any other that am dying to see what he runs.  How high or not I am on him will depend some on his speed.

Agreed! He is good all over but very good as a blocker and love his all around ability. There are quiet a few players that I can't wait to find out their real speed. It will affect his draft position for sure if he shows up slower than expected

• Like 1