Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

7 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Not surprising. I think it's a bit nitpicky, but Nabers and Harrison are in that rare tier of prospects that only come out every few years. There just happens to be 2 of them in this one. I really don't want the Giants to get either, but everyone seems to think they're going after WR.

3 hours ago, MartinC said:

My eldest son went to High School with Brendan Rice. I watched him play - going to be cool to watch him get drafted and try to make it in the NFL.

Hes got good size but not great speed. He ran a very very limited route tree at HS but I’d assume that’s broadened during his College career. What he did do well was block on the perimeter and even from tight splits and off motion as a lead. He’s not bad on RAC, shifty runner with the ball in his hands though he won’t run away from NFL speed.

He will make an NFL roster but he’s a #3 or #4 type for me at best. He’d work well in a run heavy scheme where he will block for you and then catch some screens, slants and drags. 

4.38 is pretty fast.  No?

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Brenden-Rice-WR-Colorado

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I've been meaning to go back and watch Chop and Braswell, and this is a good chance to do it.  My initial take on Chop was really positive, on Braswell not as much.  But I want to rewatch to land on stronger takes for both.  Chop's stock is surprisingly low, and it wouldn't be strange for either to be on the board at 36.

To me, Chop Robinson is the number one eval that all of us need to prioritize after the Quinn signing.

Quinn has always run with at least one undersized EDGE with big time twitch, burst, get off, explosion…whatever you want to call it. Bruce Irvin, Vic Beasley, Takk McKinley, Parsons. It’s an extremely high priority for him — Beasley was his first pick in Atlanta and Parsons was the first pick after he got to Dallas. 

In terms of that mold, and our draft range, I think Chop is a pretty clear match. Unbelievable get-off, and all the mocks seem to say he’s tracking towards a slide into the first half of the 2nd round. I haven’t watched him nearly enough to have a fully formed opinion, but he’s moved to the absolute top of the watch list.

Edited by e16bball
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Not surprising. I think it's a bit nitpicky, but Nabers and Harrison are in that rare tier of prospects that only come out every few years. There just happens to be 2 of them in this one. I really don't want the Giants to get either, but everyone seems to think they're going after WR.

Nabers is going to be great.  Stats wise he had a better season than Harrison almost across the board.  I'd still go Harrison but think its close.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Nabers is going to be great.  Stats wise he had a better season than Harrison almost across the board.  I'd still go Harrison but think its close.

I've thought LAC will take Bowers, but maybe they take Nabers instead?

21 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Polk and McConkey are the only non first round prospects I really like. 

Those have been my two for quite some time now in the 2ndish.  So I am with you.

I do like Legette and Thomas too if either falls to the 2nd.

But as for Polk, I want to see how he runs.  He had almost half his yards last year in deep plays and for that to translate to the NFL its of course good to have sub 4.4 speed.

But otherwise he's one of my fav receivers in this class as to toughness.  He can run block.  And got into it with some defenders on that front where it looked like a fight can brew.  Tough at the catch point even though he's not the biggest dude.  Feisty player.  His super power though in college was the deep ball so i want to see what that speed is.  Don't get me wrong he looks fast.  But not sure its 4.4 speed type fast or under, hard for me to tell.

https://www.si.com/college/washington/football/polk-is-receiving-upgrade-for-washington-huskies

Polk, who will start against Montana on Saturday, challenged everybody's work ethic across the UW football team, even that of hard-driving linebacker Edefuan Ulofoshio, who practically lives in the coaches' offices.

"He has put so much work in," Husky coach Jimmy Lake said of Polk. "It might go back and forth as to who's first in the building, either Eddie or Ja'Lynn Polk. He's here first thing in the morning ready to grind. He's ready to learn. He's ready to watch his reps from the day before, and it's how can he get better?"

...Polk arrived for spring practice and went head to head with one-time starters Rome Odunze, Terrell Bynum and Jalen McMillan, plus Sawyer Racanelli and Taj Davis, who played in reserve role and opted out, respectively. 

Switching from No. 23 to 12 from spring football to fall camp, he's a proven talent who was ready to move up when McMillan went out with a hand injury that required surgery. 

"What I love about him is the mentality he brings every single day to practice," Lake said of the Texan. "He's tough. He goes up and make the tough catches with DBs draped all over him, grabbing him and pulling his jersey off, and he still makes those catches."

..."I told him with his mentality he could play DB for us, he really could," the coach said. "He could play safety, play nickel, play corner. I want all of our receivers to be that way. He's also game-changing in catching the football. It's hard to rip the ball out of his hands."

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

There's three. I have Odunze clearly in that tier too. He too is a rare prospect and he would've been the highest rated guy in that deep 2022 WR draft as an example

• Thumb up 1

Watched a little Darius Robinson.  Reminds me some of a poor man's Keion White who I liked in the last draft.  Big dude around 290 pounds but moves like someone 20 pounds lighter.  Moved from DT to edge.  Late bloomer.  Played mostly 3 technique earlier in his career.  Early 3rd round?  He's toolsy so that's the intrigue for me with supposedly high intangibles.  I know some expect him to go earlier than that, maybe i would too if he has freakish combine numbers.  Betting on potential.

His hands are so active.  He looks like a dude who does martial arts.  Relentless motor, he locks in and doesn't stop, doesn't give up, keeps using his length and tries to chop through his block, must be exhausting to deal with.  Good spin move, bull rush.  Looks strong against the run.   Not a ton of pass rush moves though to my eyes.  Makes an impact on games even when not pressuring the QB, gets doubled teamed some, occupies blocker in stunts.

In general, he knows how to use his length and power.  Sort of the ED version of Patrick Paul IMO on that front.  From what I read he's a hard worker, good teammate.  Leader -- 2 year captain.  Had big Senior Bowl.

https://www.si.com/college/missouri/football/darius-robinsons-drive-for-improvement-leads-to-rising-draft-stock

D-Rob is a big leader," Missouri linebacker Chad Bailey said in the 2023 season. "He loves to communicate, he's always looking out for his guys, especially the young guys. He's always trying to bring up dudes up with him."

In his five years at Missouri, Robinson compiled 69 tackles, 13 sacks and 21 tackles for loss. Robinson's most successful statistical came in 2023 when he switched from playing on the interior of the defensive line to the edge position. The decision to make the move to the outside came from the Missouri coaching staff after the team lost edge Isiah McGuire to the NFL Draft following the 2022 season.

Robinson's willingness to switch positions is now playing big dividends as his versatility is one of his best traits as a prospect for the 2024 NFL Draft. This week, Robinson has taken the first steps towards his future by shining in front of NFL scouts at practices for the Reeses Senior Bowl. 

"I’m looking to prove that I’m the best defensive lineman in the 2024 NFL Draft," Robinson said in an interview with TheDraftNetwork this week. "I’ve played every position at Missouri. I’m versatile enough to play both inside and outside. I’m going to showcase how physical of a player I am."

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Number 44 said:

You can't trust the numbers that website puts on those profiles until after the combine and pro days.  They are guessing what the 40 times will be, what the height and weight and length numbers are too, and it isn't at all clear what they are basing those guesses on.  Also their percentile calculations are frequently way off, and again, it isn't clear how they are coming up with any of those numbers.  That website is pretty sloppy.  Mockdraftable does a far better job compiling all of the testing and measurement numbers and coming up with accurate percentile calculations.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mh86 said:

Hypothetical scenario with four options. These all assume we pick QB at #2.

1. Would you rather trade back into the first at around pick #15, giving up both seconds #36 and #40

2. Trade back into the first at around pick #23, giving up something like our second #40, first third #67 and probably our fourth #103

3. Look for someone willing to trade up for one of our seconds, grabbing picks in this and next years draft. 

4. No moves at all, other than maybe some late round pick swapping.

Personally I like option 2, we could still grab a difference maker. I’d imagine there’d be some good talent at OT, WR, or Edge available.

In number 1, I only make that trade for Brock Bowers or Jared Verse.  Both have a chance to be there.

I'm less of a fan of #2 because I don't like giving up three players for one.  But would do it for either Bowers or Verse.

If the return for #3 was heavily slanted in our favor, I'd consider it.

I'll add a fourth trade scenario: moving down in the second from either 36 or 40.  I'd trade back to pick up a bunch of extra capital for a team drafting in the 50s if I don't really like any of the fallers at 36.

• Thumb up 1

59 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I've thought LAC will take Bowers, but maybe they take Nabers instead?

Huge Bowers fan but you have to go receiver over tight end when the grade is comparable. There’s not a huge hit rate with high first round tight ends going back to Kellen Winslow Jr. I agree with whoever gets the last of Nabers, Harrison, Odunze will get the steal of the draft. 

11 hours ago, MartinC said:

My eldest son went to High School with Brendan Rice. I watched him play - going to be cool to watch him get drafted and try to make it in the NFL.

Hes got good size but not great speed. He ran a very very limited route tree at HS but I’d assume that’s broadened during his College career. What he did do well was block on the perimeter and even from tight splits and off motion as a lead. He’s not bad on RAC, shifty runner with the ball in his hands though he won’t run away from NFL speed.

He will make an NFL roster but he’s a #3 or #4 type for me at best. He’d work well in a run heavy scheme where he will block for you and then catch some screens, slants and drags. 

I just listened to Mike Renner's take on the Senior Bowl and he mentioned Rice. He said Rice is exactly what you want a WR to look and he also said he had one of the fastest GPS times of the group. He believes Rice's stock will take a hit simply because he is too stiff and does not run routes well enough, which is hard to fathom considering the bloodlines. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

I just listened to Mike Renner's take on the Senior Bowl and he mentioned Rice. He said Rice is exactly what you want a WR to look and he also said he had one of the fastest GPS times of the group. He believes Rice's stock will take a hit simply because he is too stiff and does not run routes well enough, which is hard to fathom considering the bloodlines. 

Interesting on the speed. I can see his top speed being good - but he just did not look explosive when I watched him. I'm sure he's had great strength and speed coaching though so maybe thats improved. If he runs well it will certainly improve his stock. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, e16bball said:

To me, Chop Robinson is the number one eval that all of us need to prioritize after the Quinn signing.

Quinn has always run with at least one undersized EDGE with big time twitch, burst, get off, explosion…whatever you want to call it. Bruce Irvin, Vic Beasley, Takk McKinley, Parsons. It’s an extremely high priority for him — Beasley was his first pick in Atlanta and Parsons was the first pick after he got to Dallas. 

In terms of that mold, and our draft range, I think Chop is a pretty clear match. Unbelievable get-off, and all the mocks seem to say he’s tracking towards a slide into the first half of the 2nd round. I haven’t watched him nearly enough to have a fully formed opinion, but he’s moved to the absolute top of the watch list.

Wouldnt be shocked if we traded up to get him then. Edges are a high priority and I think Verse, Turner, and Latu will all be going top 15-20 at the latest. Could see us packaging 36 and our late 3rd to move back into the 20s to secure him. 

36 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Big fan of his. Ditto with the Florida State DT Fiske. 

I am a sucker for oversized edge rushers who are athletic.   He fits that profile for sure.    He doesn't jump at me to the degree that Keion White did.  but he strikes me the type of player who can be molded with the right D line coach.

8 hours ago, e16bball said:

• Like 7

We have to fill a 53 man roster.

I just counted 29 ... 30 if you count our long-snapper ... 31 if you plan to keep Fromm around ... players that I would say are locks or at least close enough to the 53-man discussion to not feel like you need a replacement.

So we'll need to basically add a minimum of 20-24 players this off-season. 

Lots of UDFA incoming. And also a need to probably create additional draft capital. 

QB: Howell

RB: Robinson, Rodriguez

WR: McLaurin, Dotson, Brown

TE: Bates, Turner

OT: Leno, Daniels, Wylie

OG: Cosmi, Paul

OC: Gates, Stromberg

DT: Payne, Allen, Mathis, Ridgeway

DE: Henry, Jones

LB: Davis

CB: St. Juste, Forbes, Martin

FS: Forrest, Butler

S: ____

K: ___

P: Way

LS: Addington

Yes, we literally do not have a SS on the roster. We also only have 1 LB and 2 DE under contract.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Watched a little Darius Robinson.  Reminds me some of a poor man's Keion White who I liked in the last draft.  Big dude around 290 pounds but moves like someone 20 pounds lighter.  Moved from DT to edge.  Late bloomer.  Played mostly 3 technique earlier in his career.  Early 3rd round?  He's toolsy so that's the intrigue for me with supposedly high intangibles.  I know some expect him to go earlier than that, maybe i would too if he has freakish combine numbers.  Betting on potential.

His hands are so active.  He looks like a dude who does martial arts.  Relentless motor, he locks in and doesn't stop, doesn't give up, keeps using his length and tries to chop through his block, must be exhausting to deal with.  Good spin move, bull rush.  Looks strong against the run.   Not a ton of pass rush moves though to my eyes.  Makes an impact on games even when not pressuring the QB, gets doubled teamed some, occupies blocker in stunts.

In general, he knows how to use his length and power.  Sort of the ED version of Patrick Paul IMO on that front.  From what I read he's a hard worker, good teammate.  Leader -- 2 year captain.  Had big Senior Bowl.

https://www.si.com/college/missouri/football/darius-robinsons-drive-for-improvement-leads-to-rising-draft-stock

D-Rob is a big leader," Missouri linebacker Chad Bailey said in the 2023 season. "He loves to communicate, he's always looking out for his guys, especially the young guys. He's always trying to bring up dudes up with him."

In his five years at Missouri, Robinson compiled 69 tackles, 13 sacks and 21 tackles for loss. Robinson's most successful statistical came in 2023 when he switched from playing on the interior of the defensive line to the edge position. The decision to make the move to the outside came from the Missouri coaching staff after the team lost edge Isiah McGuire to the NFL Draft following the 2022 season.

Robinson's willingness to switch positions is now playing big dividends as his versatility is one of his best traits as a prospect for the 2024 NFL Draft. This week, Robinson has taken the first steps towards his future by shining in front of NFL scouts at practices for the Reeses Senior Bowl. 

"I’m looking to prove that I’m the best defensive lineman in the 2024 NFL Draft," Robinson said in an interview with TheDraftNetwork this week. "I’ve played every position at Missouri. I’m versatile enough to play both inside and outside. I’m going to showcase how physical of a player I am."

One thing to note that most know but some don't, Adam Peters is very good friends with Nagy, exec. director over the Senior Bowl.  Something to think about.  He is tied into first hand information that others might not be privy to because both of them were scouts at Denver once upon a time.  

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

We have to fill a 53 man roster.

I just counted 29 ... 30 if you count our long-snapper ... 31 if you plan to keep Fromm around ... players that I would say are locks or at least close enough to the 53-man discussion to not feel like you need a replacement.

So we'll need to basically add a minimum of 20-24 players this off-season. 

Lots of UDFA incoming. And also a need to probably create additional draft capital. 

QB: Howell

RB: Robinson, Rodriguez

WR: McLaurin, Dotson, Brown

TE: Bates, Turner

OT: Leno, Daniels, Wylie

OG: Cosmi, Paul

OC: Gates, Stromberg

DT: Payne, Allen, Mathis, Ridgeway

DE: Henry, Jones

LB: Davis

CB: St. Juste, Forbes, Martin

FS: Forrest, Butler

S: ____

K: ___

P: Way

LS: Addington

Yes, we literally do not have a SS on the roster. We also only have 1 LB and 2 DE under contract.

The one thing that i like about Quinn is that his training camp is going to be more like Basic Training then the Hollywood spa that RR ran.  Quinn comes from military college past that follows him to this day.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am a sucker for oversized edge rushers who are athletic.   He fits that profile for sure.    He doesn't jump at me to the degree that Keion White did.  but he strikes me the type of player who can be molded with the right D line coach.

Do you think he can be a full time DE or more of a LB? Like Parsons 

9 hours ago, e16bball said:

Yeah the speed off the line of scrimmage is what jumped out about him first to me too.  He is incredibly twitched up, has a really big first step, and runs with really low pads.  Generally pretty good at timing snap counts but I did see a little inconsistency there.  Decent speed to power conversion, but nothing special.  Lower body flexibility looks good but isn't an elite trait.  Looks like his arm length might be OK, but his hand work is really inconsistent.  There are great long arm and push pull reps in there where you see violent and explosive hands but they are pretty few and far between.

My biggest complaints with him are the lack of reps and production and the inconsistency in the reps he didnplay.  It's easy to put a big first step on film and play with a ton of energy when you only play half your team's snaps.  You never have to develop pace.  And there is inconsistency in the reps he did play. Inconsistency with his rush plans, and with finding the football.  Inconsistency timing snaps.  Inconsistency with his hand fighting and placement, and inconsistency with bending his rushes back to the ball.

He's a super athlete and a fascinating project, but he's almost completely raw and is probably years away from a steady NFL role.  His production is a major alarm for me.

I've been looking at the other stand up rushers in the top 50, and I think most of them are better prospects.  Braswell, Elliss, and Latu are certainly better players than him right now IMO, and better fit the role of a rush LBer who can come in and make year one impact moving around the line of scrimmage.  Latu is the one that reminds me the most of Parsons, other than Dallas Turner.  Latu has a great first step too, but also has elite lateral speed and flexibility, and he is incredibly good at finding the football and making late adjustments in the backfield to finish plays.  He doesn't know how to use his hands though, which is the only thing keeping him out of top ten consideration for me.

Braswell has grown on me the more I've watched of him.  He's not spectacular, and he's not a super athlete.  But he's steady and strong and smart.  Good technician.  Good with his hands and good at setting the edge.  His long arm rush is legit.  I can see why some places have him ranked over Robinson even though his upside isn't as high.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Wouldnt be shocked if we traded up to get him then. Edges are a high priority and I think Verse, Turner, and Latu will all be going top 15-20 at the latest. Could see us packaging 36 and our late 3rd to move back into the 20s to secure him. 

We won't have to.  I think there is no way he goes in the first round.

1 - Verse

2 - Turner

3 - Latu

4 - Murphy

5 - Newton

6 - Trice

7 - Elliss

8 - Braswell

9 - Darius Robinson

10 - Chop

I think he's probably DL10 at best, and I could see Sweat, Fiske, and Jenkins getting ranked ahead of him too.  I think he goes in the 40s or even 50s, and we might actually be able to trade down for him.  There is a big scrum of DLs that will be ranked 25-50 where his resume doesn't compare favorably.

3 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

We won't have to.  I think there is no way he goes in the first round.

1 - Verse

2 - Turner

3 - Latu

4 - Murphy

5 - Newton

6 - Trice

7 - Elliss

8 - Braswell

9 - Darius Robinson

10 - Chop

I think he's probably DL10 at best, and I could see Sweat, Fiske, and Jenkins getting ranked ahead of him too.  I think he goes in the 40s or even 50s, and we might actually be able to trade down for him.  There is a big scrum of DLs that will be ranked 25-50 where his resume doesn't compare favorably.

Fair enough. I don't know much about the Edge as I've been focusing mostly on offensive guys assuming we'd be hiring an offensive coach.

17 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Fair enough. I don't know much about the Edge as I've been focusing mostly on offensive guys assuming we'd be hiring an offensive coach.

Robinson is a top shelf athlete with bottom shelf production.  He's a project, but an interesting one.  I'd trust a Dan Quinn defense to mold him, but it'll take time.  So I could see the league being lower on him than we would be, but that means we don't have to sweat him dropping to our picks.

• Like 1