Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

3 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Seven OTs might go in the first, but that would still leave a couple in our range in the second.  But I think you might be underrating DL this year, and the DB class in particular.  I think Verse, Latu, Robinson, Turner, Newton, and Trice are pretty safe bets to be first round picks as DLs.  I also think Elliss and Leonard Taylor have a shot at going first round too, and I have a hard time rationalizing why T'Vondre Sweat and Byron Murphy wouldn't go first round when Calijah Kancey and Vita Vea were early first round picks.  Kris Jenkins could be in play in the first too if he runs really well considering how good a year he had in that dominant Michigan front, his elite length, and his elite NFL pedigree.  Not all of those 11 guys will go in the first of course, but a lot of them will.  That group of names + Tuimaloau and Braswell are gonna provide most of our BPA options in the 30s.

I think DB sees a run starting in the mid teens into the 30s.  The two Alabama kids are going first round, and Dejean will probably run incredibly well and go in the teens too.  Wiggins will go in the first round.  After them, Rakestraw, Lassiter, and Nubin are all strong bets to go late first.  If not, they'll be in the BPA mix too.  Seven DBs, maybe eight DLs, four QBs, five receivers, one tight end, and seven OLs is 32 first rounders.  There will be some linemen worth picking as BPAs in the 30s.

Kris Jenkins Jr., with all the talk of trading Allen, I thought he might be a decent early 2nd. pick. 300lbs and should run under 5 in the forty. Not to mention his dad who was pro bowler. He also went in the 2nd rd. Started the Senior Bowl most had him 3/4 rd. I told some of them he was going in the 2nd. Is just like his dad fast and quick for a big man, really good at Md.  Jr. also played at Good Counsel high before Mich, Diggs Bros. are from there too among others. I know there are other holes to fill but..?

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

The Guice thing is weird. He was a legit stud, ridiculously talented and a steal where we got him. That being said, a guy with like jason argonauts level skeletons in the closet? We had to know that, right? Had to. The guy was clearly, if the reports were true, basically a menace to society. That stuff should have been figured out in mental makeup due diligence (like Justin Blackmon's drinking issues). 

But yeah, pretty depressing, needless to say. You want people with good sense and a modern analytical mind, to be making these final decisions at the top, I don't want dinosaurs running that, which is part of the reason I love having the owner we have, he definitely seems like an every edge matters type guy. 

Not only that, his knee threw up big medical red flags which Snyder/Bruce also ignored. It was reported he was off multiple boards due to the knee even though it didn’t force him to miss time in college, long before his off-field stuff was in the media. And then, no surprise, he hurt the knee. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

You're 100% correct but here's the problem, the last 31 years basically wreaked total havoc on my fandom. I'm born and raised in the bay area, live in the Lake Tahoe area, thousands of miles from you guys, and moved away from fellow redskins fans in the bay back in '04. Basically my fandom has slowly been evaporating over the past 25 years (probably started in '99 when we decided to trade for a QB rather than draft one). It wasn't really noticeable until the post RGIII years though. But that's the sad truth here. If this miracle plays out properly, and we suddenly become a competent franchise after decades of grand mal stupidity (best analogies I can think of are probably the Bucs, Patriots, (Browns who became the Ravens), Mahomes era Chiefs, Brees era Saints etc, basically teams that went from absurd jokes when I was a kid in the late seventies, eighties and early nineties, will it be too late anyway? My fandom has practically evaporated over the last decade. I went from a guy who would drive with my brother and friends on the weekends while a student at Cal, and afterwards to San Jose Live, or the Englander, or Ricky's to catch Redskins games that weren't televised 10+ times a season, sometimes 13-15 times. Since my son was born in '16 I've averaged about 2 games, to 3 games watched per year. I'm way busier with family obligations, and the far more concerning development has been that my fandom that was once probably 75% Redskins, and 25% Caps, Boulez, Expos/Indians, is now more like:

50% USMNT 

15% Redskins

15% Indians/Nats

10% USMNT Yanks Abroad Clubs

10% Caps and Boulez and College teams

I don't know really how badly it went, but like another poster here, 1993-2023 did a number on it. I'm not 1/10th the fan I was as a high school senior that '92 season. The internet makes it way easier to be a passive observer, but even my message board attention completely collapsed. I posted on the regular, a gazillion times circa 1996-2016, since then? Barely at all, and usually only about draft prospects.

My fear (and probably to my wife's delight, lol, who finds my DC sports fandom ridiculous since it's entirely related to my older brothers instructions when I was a 3 and 4 year old rather than regional loyalties) is that it will never come back anywhere close to what it once was. We'll see. Maybe it does. I've been more interested since October than I've ever been since probably 2010-2011. So at least there's that. 

I identify with your story more than you probably think, I totally get it. This board and the relative ease of pirating game streams in the last decade, when I was refusing to give Snyder or the NFL any of my money, is probably the only reason my fandom stands where it is. That and the fact that I had dynasty fantasy football to keep me occupied and interested in the rest of the NFL during the lowest times with this team. 

But I’m 35. Never experienced the glory years. Grew up in CT where my father, who was a real ****, raised me as a hardcore Redskins fan until it was too late to flip the emotional switch, fandom-wise. I used to joke, until about a year ago, that against all odds somehow the worst abuse levied against me by that man was making me a Washington fan.

So I grew up among Patriots, Giants, and Jets fans, envious of their Super Bowls and/or playoff success. Experienced an entire historic dynasty in NE that by all rights I “should” have been enjoying as a fan. Instead it was miserable as a fan and alienating at school. Moved to Boston about 10 years ago, a couple years after graduating college. Have been here ever since. Eagerly now watching the Patriots descend, and (hopefully) our rise out of the ashes. Really hoping it was worth it. 

But all that to say—I get it. My fandom was hanging by a thread despite my activity here. This community kept me attached. Felt like some sort of self punishment or masochism until a year ago, especially given my lack of geographic connection to the franchise. Now I’m filled with hope and enthusiasm for the future…but if that wasn’t the case for everyone, I’d get it. I have to tell myself all that suffering was worth it for what lies ahead of us, that it all had to happen for us to get out from under Snyder and have a shot at our own dynasty. I hope it’s true. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

My fandom is all over the place. I never just picked the local teams. But once I picked a team I stayed with them. I’ve seen them all live and in person…

NFL: Washington

NHL: Buffalo

MLB: Nationals

NBA: Celtics

NCAAF: []_[]
NCAAB: Cuse

I could explain them all, but I don’t particularly feel the need to. Those are my teams (not in order, the Celtics would be 2).

Ive had a lot of very lean years aside from the Celtics. If it weren’t for them I’d be in shambles yearly. :ols:

The Commandos are still my #1. But that fandom has changed over the years. I don’t care about training camp or going to games anymore. I watch them all, and love discussing them but it’s just different. I’m not sure an improved team changes that… but maybe it does. Might just be my own butterfly effect.

• Like 6

Jackson Powers Johnson.  6 '3, 320.  Like a shorter Joe Tippman?   Like Tippman, played guard and center.  And I wonder if he's even better at guard.  I'd like him in the 2nd.

Insane stats.  He's given up no sacks in his career.  Only one hurry on average a season.  But I think some of that is luck, in the 2 games I watched he had some reps where defenders got by him.  He looks more vulnerable to slippery type DTs with good spin moves.

He's a fun watch.  Nasty streak in the run game.   Blocked multiple defenders on some runs, reminds me of Stromberg on that count, but more of a people mover than Stromberg and looks stronger than him.  Can lose his balance from time to time. 

As a pass blocker he anchors well.  Strong hands.  His arms look like tree trunks.   Small torso, long legs so I think he is going to run well, will see. 

He has a good punch.  Seems to recognize stunts.  Good at duo blocks.   Not a perfect prospect.  I don't see him in the first round talent wise.  But 2nd round feels fitting and the style that he plays in, I think he can be a good guard too.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Jackson Powers Johnson.  6 '3, 320.  Like a shorter Joe Tippman?   Like Tippman, played guard and center.  And I wonder if he's even better at guard.  I'd like him in the 2nd.

Insane stats.  He's given up no sacks in his career.  Only one hurry on average a season.  But I think some of that is luck, in the 2 games I watched he had some reps where defenders got by him.  He looks more vulnerable to slippery type DTs with good spin moves.

He's a fun watch.  Nasty streak in the run game.   Blocked multiple defenders on some runs, reminds me of Stromberg on that count, but more of a people mover than Stromberg and looks stronger than him.  Can lose his balance from time to time. 

As a pass blocker he anchors well.  Strong hands.  His arms look like tree trunks.  

He has a good punch.  Seems to recognize stunts.  Good at duo blocks.   Not a perfect prospect.  I don't see him in the first round talent wise.  But 2nd round feels fitting and the style that he plays in, I think he can be a good guard too.

Jackson Powers-Johnson is a beast and my favorite center, even over Sedrick Van Pran and Zach Frazier (before he got hurt).

:229:The Rook

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Seven OTs might go in the first, but that would still leave a couple in our range in the second.  But I think you might be underrating DL this year, and the DB class in particular.  I think Verse, Latu, Robinson, Turner, Newton, and Trice are pretty safe bets to be first round picks as DLs.  I also think Elliss and Leonard Taylor have a shot at going first round too, and I have a hard time rationalizing why T'Vondre Sweat and Byron Murphy wouldn't go first round when Calijah Kancey and Vita Vea were early first round picks.  Kris Jenkins could be in play in the first too if he runs really well considering how good a year he had in that dominant Michigan front, his elite length, and his elite NFL pedigree.  Not all of those 11 guys will go in the first of course, but a lot of them will.  That group of names + Tuimaloau and Braswell are gonna provide most of our BPA options in the 30s.

I think DB sees a run starting in the mid teens into the 30s.  The two Alabama kids are going first round, and Dejean will probably run incredibly well and go in the teens too.  Wiggins will go in the first round.  After them, Rakestraw, Lassiter, and Nubin are all strong bets to go late first.  If not, they'll be in the BPA mix too.  Seven DBs, maybe eight DLs, four QBs, five receivers, one tight end, and seven OLs is 32 first rounders.  There will be some linemen worth picking as BPAs in the 30s.

Nice analysis GC.  I left Latu off because he's got the biggest medical red flags in the draft.  He's probably like Phillips was (who also medically retired).  He'll go 1st round, but I have no idea where to place him.  With his medicals, I can't see Turner/Verse not going ahead of him.

Sweat is really tough for me because he might get played off the field with his weight.  I think he'll go in the 25-45 range, but I have no idea where he'll end up.  Davis has been a disappointment in Philly IMO.  He should be dominating, and he has had good talent around him.  Maybe teams might be scared off of taking another DT that huge early.  

Mimms might slip to us, but he'll be a gamble with his injury history too.  

• Like 2

On 1/16/2024 at 6:01 PM, mhd24 said:

After out experience with Chris Paul, I can't see us going after his younger brother.  Your descriptions sounds like Chris Paul in terms of his clunkiness.  If he were there at our 3rd round pick?  Sure, I'd take a gamble.  However, I'm not spending either of our 2s on him.

He me strikes me as a player that I'd trust a good O line coach to evaluate.  He's super long and envelopes defenders with his wingspan.  The other parts of his game is a work in progress IMO. 

6 minutes ago, The Rook said:

Jackson Powers-Johnson is a beast and my favorite center, even over Sedrick Van Pran and Zach Frazier (before he got hurt).

:229:The Rook

I am just starting on the centers.  He's a good player.   He looks to me like he'd be as good at guard as he is at center so that appeals to me if for example they decide they like Stromberg.  I see Stromberg more as a natural center versus guard.

I haven't watched Van Pran yet.  I've been way too absorbed with the QBs.  I am ready to move off of them and watch other positions more.

Great post by someone I will call anonymous:

Not shaking hands with Utah was widely reported, though to be sure I wasn't there and can't know for sure (indeed, one piece I saw said he never shakes hands with Utah, and a poster on Reddit who said he saw him eventually go out).

He "elected not to speak to the media" after USC's loss to UCLA, even though it was likely his final appearance as a college QB.

The messages on painted fingernails is verified through photography.

First interview I saw of his and wasn't enamored of some of what he said and how he said it ("first bad game in my career" isn't the kind of self-reflection or humility I like, for instance).

Point really for me is not that he's clearly a terrible human being; point is that there are enough random tidbits out there (stuff with actual hard evidence) that would, to me, warrant careful scrutiny: how much is immaturity and/or inexperience and how much is pointing to something more? Lots of conversations with coaches and players who know him--and with Williams himself--should clear it all up.

But it's foolish to act like all this is just made up by haters.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He me strikes me as a player that I'd trust a good O line coach to evaluate.  He's super long and envelopes defenders with his wingspan.  The other parts of his game is a work in progress IMO. 

I am just starting on the centers.  He's a good player.   He looks to me like he'd be as good at guard as he is at center so that appeals to me if for example they decide they like Stromberg.  I see Stromberg more as a natural center versus guard.

I haven't watched Van Pran yet.  I've been way too absorbed with the QBs.  I am ready to move off of them and watch other positions more.

Yep. On JPJ, if they take him, I don’t like him as a rookie center. I believe he has only a year of experience in the role if I’m not mistaken. I do like your idea of drafting him t be a guard and eventually move him to center if there is a need. I’d hope, given the intellect needed to play center, he can pick up the NFL nuances of playing guard relatively quickly and not struggle like many of the rookie IOLs taken round 2 this year

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KDawg said:

My fandom is all over the place. I never just picked the local teams. But once I picked a team I stayed with them. I’ve seen them all live and in person…

NFL: Washington

NHL: Buffalo

MLB: Nationals

NBA: Celtics

NCAAF: []_[]
NCAAB: Cuse

I could explain them all, but I don’t particularly feel the need to. Those are my teams (not in order, the Celtics would be 2).

Ive had a lot of very lean years aside from the Celtics. If it weren’t for them I’d be in shambles yearly. :ols:

The Commandos are still my #1. But that fandom has changed over the years. I don’t care about training camp or going to games anymore. I watch them all, and love discussing them but it’s just different. I’m not sure an improved team changes that… but maybe it does. Might just be my own butterfly effect.

I'm just as confused as you are.

NFL- WASHINGTON 

NBA- KINGS

MLB- CUBS 

NHL- SHARKS

NCAAF & NCAAB- MICHIGAN

TENNIS- UMMM DOES ANNA CORNICOVA STILL PLAY. YA SHES UMMM PRETTY GOOD. ILL VOTE FOR HER. 

• Haha 2

I'm DC for all four sports but the only one I grew up with is the Redskins.  They are a multigenerational family tradition for me.  I'm not from Northern VA and the reach of the other two DC teams didn't extend south of about Prince William county in the 90s.

The Braves were the local team in my area because of the AAA affiliate being in Richmond, but I couldn't stand the Braves.  It's weird but, I loved going to Richmond Braves games as a kid, and simultaneously hated the Atlanta Braves.  It's like the guys who got promoted just ceased to exist to me.  I was so ready to jump on the bandwagon for the Nats in 05.  When I was young I didn't really have an NBA team. I just followed whatever teams my favorite players were on.

The Redskins were already starting to wane in influence when I was baptized in my fandom. The first football game I can remember watching was the Giants-Bills SB.  It always felt like most of the kids in my school were Cowboys fans.  They really struck a chord with the trashy ass phase America was going through in 1994.

Edited by Going Commando
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Nice analysis GC.  I left Latu off because he's got the biggest medical red flags in the draft.  He's probably like Phillips was (who also medically retired).  He'll go 1st round, but I have no idea where to place him.  With his medicals, I can't see Turner/Verse not going ahead of him.

Sweat is really tough for me because he might get played off the field with his weight.  I think he'll go in the 25-45 range, but I have no idea where he'll end up.  Davis has been a disappointment in Philly IMO.  He should be dominating, and he has had good talent around him.  Maybe teams might be scared off of taking another DT that huge early.  

Mimms might slip to us, but he'll be a gamble with his injury history too.  

I would guess that Latu goes in the teens.  His production and grading are the best in the class.  27 sacks the last two years is pretty special, and he pretty much won every award he was eligible for, and was a first team All American.  He's probably the best defensive player in the class, and is ranked over Verse and Turner by most mock drafters.  I like Turner and Verse ahead of him, but they're all in the same tier.  He's a traitsy stand up rusher who barely uses his hands and doesn't have a lot of bend in his legs, but is so incredibly instinctive, aggressive, athletic, and efficient that he just regularly finds the football.  He's better than Jaelan Phillips, and I think he will draw a Micah Parsons comp.  He's significantly better than Van Ness was, so I wouldn't rule out top ten draft stock for him.

I think Vea and Davis kind of established a clear precedent for Sweat to get picked in the teens, but I don't know if it will happen for him. I also think Byron Murphy was the best player on that line, and he was the one who drew most of the doubles.

Davis is an interesting case.  Loved him as a prospect, but I actually didn't love the fit for him in Philly.  He's a rotational player for them, and I think they built an enabling locker room that isn't good for Davis, who is a bit childish.  That said, he still scores in the 70s for PFF and had a pretty good season this year.

I don't like Philly's locker room being full of Georgia guys.  I don't think you want to make little cliques in your locker room when you're building a team, especially with kids as entitled as the Georgia players are.  I think it'll be a problem for them now that they are losing their vet leadership.  Other guys like AJ Brown are head cases, not leaders.  Their coach is childish too.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, philibusters said:

In hindsight I wish we had taken Gonzalez, but I understand why they took Forbes over Gonzalez.  Gonzalez was a really athletic players with A+ physical tools who was a three year starter in college who was just okay for his first two years, then had a really good third last year.   Forbes had some good physical tools (good length and 4.35 speed but lacked others like play strength), who had won a starting job as a true freshman in the SEC and was a good player all three years he was in college.   Do you want the guy with the better physical traits or do you take the guy who was good over a larger sample size.    They went with the guy who was good over a larger sample size.

I think Forbes ultimately ends up a decent starter, but will be a bit of a boom/bust guy like Trevon Diggs, William Jackson III (who only got bust years from him), Bryce Callahan, or James Bradbury.  Guys who have outstanding seasons, which they follow with meh seasons, only to rebound with a another great season, only to have another bad season.   Part of the Eagles problem this year is that Bradbury was great last year and is below average this year at corner, but that up and down quality has been with him his entire career.  Usually the guys who go for more interceptions and pass breakups and trust their ball skills rather than always playing technique are the guys who end up being more boom and bust season to season.

It's never great if your first round pick starts his NFL career the way Forbes did here. But my hot take is, that everything this season (but especially defense) was such a mess that it almost doesn't count. How is Forbes supposed to come in here and perform when even the best players on this defense lay an complete egg for an entire season? Payne and Allen counted over 30m against the cap this year and basically did nothing. We had communication errors everywhere, gave up big play after big play after big play. Nothing went right and people checked out right away because everyone internally probably saw the writing on the wall for this coaching staff. And then they asked Forbes to cover a top 5 receiver in this league 1 on 1 on the outside. Don't know if Gonzalez would have done a lot better here tbh, just a horrible position this young man was put in.

Early returns aren't promising but let's see how he does under a new regime first.

3 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I would guess that Latu goes in the teens.  His production and grading are the best in the class.  27 sacks the last two years is pretty special, and he pretty much won every award he was eligible for, and was a first team All American.  He's probably the best defensive player in the class, and is ranked over Verse and Turner by most mock drafters.  I like Turner and Verse ahead of him, but they're all in the same tier.  He's a traitsy stand up rusher who barely uses his hands and doesn't have a lot of bend in his legs, but is so incredibly instinctive, aggressive, athletic, and efficient that he just regularly finds the football.  He's better than Jaelan Phillips, and I think he will draw a Micah Parsons comp.  He's significantly better than Van Ness was, so I wouldn't rule out top ten draft stock for him.

I think Vea and Davis kind of established a clear precedent for Sweat to get picked in the teens, but I don't know if it will happen for him. I also think Byron Murphy was the best player on that line, and he was the one who drew most of the doubles.

Davis is an interesting case.  Loved him as a prospect, but I actually didn't love the fit for him in Philly.  He's a rotational player for them, and I think they built an enabling locker room that isn't good for Davis, who is a bit childish.  That said, he still scores in the 70s for PFF and had a pretty good season this year.

I don't like Philly's locker room being full of Georgia guys.  I don't think you want to make little cliques in your locker room when you're building a team, especially with kids as entitled as the Georgia players are.  I think it'll be a problem for them now that they are losing their vet leadership.  Other guys like AJ Brown are head cases, not leaders.  Their coach is childish too.

Yeah, Latu could go as high as 8 to Atlanta.  His floor is probably Miami at 21 as they have two rushers recovering on ACLs.  I think Murphy is solidly a 1st rounder, but Sweat is tough to pin down.  Eagles fans seemed to be down on Jordan Davis this year big time.  Wasn't in shape according to them.  Fletcher Cox has to be moving on/retiring considering their cap issues and the resources they have devoted to DT.  Kielce already has retired.  Lane Johnson might as well.  

6 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I'm DC for all four sports but the only one I grew up with is the Redskins.  They are a multigenerational family tradition for me.  I'm not from Northern VA and the reach of the other two DC teams didn't extend south of about Prince William county in the 90s.

The Braves were the local team in my area because of the AAA affiliate being in Richmond, but I couldn't stand the Braves.  It's weird but, I loved going to Richmond Braves games as a kid, and simultaneously hated the Atlanta Braves.  It's like the guys who got promoted just ceased to exist to me.  I was so ready to jump on the bandwagon for the Nats in 05.  When I was young I didn't really have an NBA team. I just followed whatever teams my favorite players were on.

The Redskins were already starting to wane in influence when I was baptized in my fandom. The first football game I can remember watching was the Giants-Bills SB.  It always felt like most of the kids in my school were Cowboys fans.  They really struck a chord with the trashy ass phase America was going through in 1994.

A little similar to me but also different.  I am also not from the DMV originally and also multi generational.

Grew up in NJ originally at the time where the Yankees and baseball was king so I was a big baseball and Yankees fan.   I didn't live far away from the Meadowlands and the first NFL game I ever went to was a Jets game when they played if I recall in Shea.  So you figured I'd be a Giants or Jets fan.  But nope I was a sports fan as a kid, all sports.  And for whatever reason though I loved the NFL and college football from a young age I was agnostic as to having a favorite sports team.

My parents divorced.  My dad moved to DC.  He was not as big of a sports fan as me but liked sports.  Also agnostic as to a football team. But when he moved to DC, all of a sudden with him it was Redskins this and Redskins that.  But that still did not get me to root for them or any other team.  But he died young suddenly.   And I was looking for a team to root for in the Redskins-Raiders SB to make it more enjoyable.  So I figured my dad who passed away would appreciate it if I rooted for the Redskins.  So I did.  And from that point on I became a fan.  And it was fostered some when I lived in DC for a span when I went there for grad school.

It's ironic that my dad's sister, my aunt, lives in Philly and my uncle are Eagles fans.  And they've been over the years in my face about the Eagles. So one time I shared the story of why I was a Redskins fan and they backed off.  I went to college in NY, my wife is from there too, so I am surrounded by a lot of Giants fans, some Jets fans.  And the rivalry used to be bitter back in this teams heyday.   And because of that and that I read the NY sports pages still because of the Yankees, I know more about those football teams than most others.  And its also a reason why I hate the Giants. :ols:. I also have a cousin who became a Cowboys fan even though they lived their whole life in NY and ditto one of my college roomates who I stayed in touch with.  So I think for me my fandom has been colored some by in your face bantering with fans am close with from other teams in the division.

I've raised my kids through this dark period of fandom.  They loved RG3, 2012.  They got somewhat into the 2015-16 Kirk era, loved Desean.  But otherwise its taken some work to keep them fans of the team.  So far so good.  But part of the reason why I've been so feisty about Dan and what he's done to this franchise.  And ditto Bruce Allen and Ron (in 2023) is I can see first hand how this team isn't just a loser but uncool.  I pick up my son from school from time to time and see other kids in the mix.  He of course is the only dude there who wears Commanders gear.  I see Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, Dolphins, Ravens, Steelers, 49ers among others. 

When I would go to Disney over decades now.  So many people wear jerseys, its fun because if you wear one it often solicits a conversation or two and I've seen the atrophy from that context.  So little representation from this team.  It's usually just me and my son.   It wasn't like that years ago.  My daughter likes them but she sort of lost interest post Kirk-Desean.   This team hasn't just lost but has so little starpower so its so blah from what I noticed from the perspective of kids.  JP Finlay talks about this too.   He notices around his kids, its Lamar Jackson jerseys, McCaffrey, Dak, etc, not Commanders jerseys, and lol that dude lives in the DMV.

I know some (not you) get feisty with me when I mention adding some star power and being interesting-aggressive in the off season for a change.  I think with some its the Cerrato PTSD, where having an aggressive offseasons = dumb and losing.  Well for starters we actually won more during that era than during Bruce's era.   Bruce would sell this image that he's the adult in the room compared to that past but we learned in short order that narrative is BS.  He was both boring and he sucked. The idea clearly is if you are aggressive AND stupid, its going to suck.  But stupid is stupid.  They were not stupid because they were aggressive.  They were stupid because they were stupid.

Bringing this on topic here.  I can see from the eyes of my kids and some of their peers, teams they find relevant and interesting have QBs typically.  You go around Disney, you see Josh Allen jerseys, Big Ben, Lamar, Mahomes, etc.  We aren't part of that party.  You don't see Case Keenum or Heinicke jerseys in Disney.  And I don't think this team gets out of the dungeon until that dynamic changes.  BOTH because it will help them consistently win AND make them more interesting.  And even though some argue interesting-aggressive and winning are conflicing thoughts.  They are not conflicting.  

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

13 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree with your assessment that Stom is a natural C. Is he ready to the starter, eh not sure but would be est there if he had good vets on either side of him. I'm not certain how good of a G he could make other than a backup. 

I am a big fan of JPJ at C. He has the ability to play G but he is a C. If we take him I would think it is to play C, relegating Strom to backup C. 

If that occurs it means no vet C unless they kept Gates. To keep him I'd say he better prove he could be the starting LG which at this point is one of our 3 holes on the OL...RT, C, LG. I look at Larsen as just a C and don't see him staying with Strom on the team.

Definitely going to need to be a lot of player evaluations for the new regime.

Edited by DWinzit

13 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I agree with your assessment that Stom is a natural C. Is he ready to the starter, eh not sure but would be est there if he had good vets on either side of him. I'm not certain how good of a G he could make other than a backup. 

I am a big fan of JPJ at C. He has the ability to play G but he is a C. If we take him I would think it is to play C, relegating Strom to backup C. 

If that occurs it means no vet C unless they kept Gates. To keep him I'd say he better prove he could be the starting LG which at this point is one of our 3 holes on the OL...RT, C, LG. I look at Larsen as just a C and don't see him staying with Strom on the team.

Definitely going to need to be a lot of player evaluations for the new regime.

I haven't watched him at guard, I'll get to it.

His PFF rating is identical at guard than it was at center.  His stats equally good, too.   His first year he played sparingly but more at guard than center.  The year after, mostly RG.  Last year at center.

The way he moves and drives defenders in the running game makes him to my eyes come off just as strong at guard.  I like his build for guard.  Not too tall.  Stocky guy well built.  Seems built to play in a phone booth. 

I am not saying for sure I'd move him to guard.  But my first impression watching him was I can see him at guard and then when I looked up his stats on PFF I saw that he played RG so that brought it home. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I haven't watched him at guard, I'll get to it.

His PFF rating is identical at guard than it was at center.  His stats equally good, too.   His first year he played sparingly but more at guard than center.  The year after, mostly RG.  Last year at center.

The way he moves and drives defenders in the running game makes him to my eyes come off just as strong at guard.  I like his build for guard.  Not too tall.  Stocky guy well built.  Seems built to play in a phone booth. 

I am not saying for sure I'd move him to guard.  But my first impression watching him was I can see him at guard and then when I looked up his stats on PFF I saw that he played RG so that brought it home. 

I mean Cam Jurgens was a Center in college his final year, and Philly has played him at guard.  I'd have no problems taking JPJ with one of our 2nds and penciling him in at LG if need be (assuming we sign a vet center in FA or give the job to Stromberg).  

• Like 1