Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

I don’t really watch college ball but I’ve read on a few forums that you can’t miss with either Maye or Williams. Someone even said they’re the best 2 prospects in a decade, is there truth to that or are people just drinking too much of the pre draft hypeness? 

27 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

I only watched about half of the 1st quarter and ended up crashing early but how did McCarthy look? 

I'd say Penix was somewhat circumcised last night and JJ entered the top 3-4 discussions.

He has a big decision to make. I imagine if his coach leaves it could affect him. 

Also if he stays he would probably be a favorite for the 1st pick

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I'd say Penix was somewhat circumcised last night and JJ entered the top 3-4 discussions.

He has a big decision to make. I imagine if his coach leaves it could affect him. 

Also if he stays he would probably be a favorite for the 1st pick

Yeah, tough choice for the young man.  If coach leaves and he stays then that's a new system to learn which could affect him, but also another year in college gives him more time to develop as a passer.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

Yeah, tough choice for the young man.  If coach leaves and he stays then that's a new system to learn which could affect him, but also another year in college gives him more time to develop as a passer.  

Sherrone Moore is leaving?

11 hours ago, Conn said:

You went from “I watched what I could on Redzone” to “the tape does not lie” extremely quickly. Took you 8 minutes to go from casual part-time observer to decisive scout. Nice! 

(I don’t think he’s elite by the way. I just don’t think you are the person I’d listen to about it.)

You don't get to watch every play of the other players across the league either.  Does that mean I should take the same condescending tone and dismiss you when you comment about other players around the league?    

I'm just saying unlike a Jags fan I have not watched every Lawrence play. But from what I have seen, and over time that's a pretty good sample size, I'm pretty confident I've seen enough of him to have a valid opinion,  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

3 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

No I was talking McCarthy,  doesn't he have one more year of eligibility left?

Sherrone Moore is the OC.

You said "if coach leaves..."

7 hours ago, illone said:

Now I am even more confused about what to do with the #2 pick.

Thought Penix would show out tonight and solidify his arm and decision making talent... woops!  He played like a 1st round talent for much of the year, including last week, but turned into a pumpkin when the lights were the brightest.

I might be open for business with the #2 pick if the price is right.

Won't be mad with a move up for Caleb, but it seems like a massive longshot.

I know some here think its a tough call.  I don't.  The typical mock drafters don't.   Supposedly Rick Spielman who is running the GM search doesn't.

It's about as obvious as it gets IMO.  I know @Going Commando, @clskinsfan among other see it the same way.  But will see...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Yeah Harbaugh 

Just now, DazedSkinsfan said:

Yeah Harbaugh 

I'm assuming if Moore doesn't move up a new coach would bring in his own OC, possibly 

_end_rule.png130.png&h=110&w=110

J.J. McCarthy, Michigan

Height: 6-foot-3 | Weight: 202 pounds
2023 stats: 2,851 passing yards, 22 touchdowns, 4 interceptions

Where do NFL scouts rank McCarthy, assuming he enters the draft?

Scouts are intrigued by McCarthy's game, and one from the AFC East recently compared his skill set to Joe Burrow because of his mobility, toughness, winning mentality and ability to hit every throw. The consensus projection for McCarthy among NFL evaluators is first-rounder.

"McCarthy isn't really allowed to do a lot at Michigan, but he's so gritty and tough," an NFC general manager said. "The moxie is through the roof. And he's a much better all-around passer than he gets credit for."

I have him at QB4 and No. 22 overall on my board behind Caleb Williams (USC), Drake Maye (North Carolina) and Jayden Daniels (LSU). That could put him anywhere from the top 10 of the first round down to a pick in the late-20s, depending on how fast the other passers come off the board.

The biggest equation in McCarthy's draft stock is the unknown. Of the top six quarterbacks in the class -- Williams, Maye, Daniels, McCarthy, Penix and Oregon's Bo Nix -- he has thrown the fewest passes (472) and fewest touchdown passes (49). The pre-draft process will be huge for extrapolating McCarthy from the Michigan scheme and seeing his talents as a pure passer. But he is still firmly in the Round 1 conversation and is seen around the NFL as a potential top-15 pick, as long as he leaves school early and declares.

It comes up. Fans of McCarthy will point to his position-specific traits, like arm strength, field vision, poise and running ability. But those who are less sure about his transition to the NFL definitely hang their hat on his lack of star power stats. After all, he is 40th in passing yards and tied for 37th in touchdown passes among the FBS quarterbacks this season. He went over 300 passing yards once all season (335 against Purdue) and threw for more than 150 against just one of four ranked opponents (221 against Alabama).

"Tell me the game to watch where you're blown away by his quarterback ability," said an AFC South area scout, who had McCarthy graded in Round 3.

McCarthy can't boast the numbers of Penix or his peers, and it could be the deciding factor in a draft room if he's on the board with Daniels, Nix or Penix also available. His 22.4 attempts per game rank 89th in the nation, so the opportunity just hasn't been there. That said, his efficiency stands out. McCarthy's 89.5 QBR ranks third in college football. He threw all of four interceptions and completed 73.2% of his passes.

Where does McCarthy separate himself from the rest of this QB class?

That word "efficiency" comes up often when discussing McCarthy with scouts. He's not a checkdown Charlie looking for every easy pass, but he also doesn't take many uncalculated risks. And those he does take seem to work out. I'm reminded of a throw against Ohio State when the junior fired a pass at the head of a Buckeyes linebacker who had failed to turn around in coverage and still completed it. He averages 9.1 yards per attempt and has been off-target on 8.3%. Both numbers rank 13th in the country.

McCarthy -- who turns 21 on Jan. 20 -- also has great positional upside. Nix, Penix and Daniels are all five-year starters, whereas McCarthy and Maye are two-year starters who NFL scouts believe can be better developed given their youth and all-around abilities.

What's his best NFL team fit?

McCarthy is an efficient passer with a strong arm, good mobility and a toughness that scouts love and praise consistently. He also has won a ton of games in college -- 26-1 -- and scouts mention it often. But what NFL team makes the most sense for McCarthy?

Well, the Las Vegas Raiders could very well hire his college coach, Jim Harbaugh (who recently said McCarthy is the greatest quarterback in Michigan football history). Vegas has a big hole at quarterback, and with a pick projected to be in the middle of Round 1, McCarthy could be the answer.

264.png&h=110&w=110

Michael Penix Jr., Washington

Height: 6-3 | Weight: 213 pounds
2023 stats: 4,648 passing yards, 35 touchdowns, 9 interceptions

Is Penix a first-rounder?

I asked 10 NFL scouts and received replies all over the map. Penix joins McCarthy as the most debated quarterbacks in terms of draft stock in this class.

"I would put him in the same range as [Daniels]," an AFC scout who covers the Pacific Northwest said. "I think he's in that pick six to 13 range."

But a different AFC scout who is tasked with cross-checking the quarterbacks has a completely different opinion: "I think he's a Round 3 guy on grade but might go earlier because of the position."

Various other evaluators chimed in with a wide spectrum of takes. Of the 10 scouts and general managers polled, three said Penix would be a first-round pick, five saw him as a second-round selection and two said the third round was more likely. I personally have him at No. 40 overall and QB5, but there's a lot of time for things to change. With the pre-draft process just getting started, Penix has opportunities to win over doubters -- notably if he accepts an invitation to participate in the Senior Bowl this month.

Why are scouts still skeptical of his pro ceiling?

We can start with the injuries. Though Penix -- who will be 24 years old as an NFL rookie -- has made it through two seasons at Washington without missing action, his four prior seasons at Indiana ended early due to health. An NFC West scout who has covered Penix in person says those medical concerns and a one-read Huskies offense will bring Penix's stock down to Earth after the season ends.

"He's had four seasons in college end in injury -- two knees and two shoulders. That's pretty vital to the position," he said.

Teams must weigh it, and much is unknown now, before a full medical evaluation is done at the combine in late February. "I haven't even dug into the injury stuff yet," an AFC general manager said, "but I know it exists and it's real, and we'll see how it looks when we get [to the combine]."

On the field, one AFC North scout pointed out ball placement to the intermediate levels of the field -- even after Penix threw for 430 yards and completed 76% of his passes against Texas. The numbers do back that, as Penix is 87th in the country in off-target percentage on throws 10 to 20 yards downfield this season (18.4%).

"Even against Texas, I thought there were too many throws when his receivers bailed him out," he said.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/39236130/2024-nfl-draft-questions-cfp-quarterbacks-michigan-mccarthy-washington-penix

• Thanks 1

This is why I laughed for a week at all the people who were pimping Penix after the Texas game. Not just message boards, people who are paid a lot of money for their opinion always overreact to what they have seen last.  Penix was always so far behind the other 3 he was not even worth being mentioned for the Commanders pick.  And I will stand on the position until proven wrong that JJ McCarthy is not an NFL franchise QB.  

• Like 2

Watched some Javon Bullard. Fun guy.  I like watching players like him -- Branch, Quan Martin types.   Slot CB-FS mostly.  But plays some in the box and a little corner too.  The previous year he played much more slot. 

Big hits, infamous for one on Marvin Harrison.  Plays with a ton of energy and oomph.  When they had split safety formations when I watched he was typically the deeper one.  Around the ball a lot.

It's sort of Quan Martin style.  Do we need two?  Maybe if Curl leaves.  Martin IMO the better tackler in college, better against the run.  Bullard though looks to my eyes just as good, maybe better in coverage.  Quan played closer to the box and Bullard more FS. 

Against the run he's IMO above average but sometimes his size shows where he gets blocked out of the play.  He tackles low like Martin and Branch but is a bit more reckless and less sound in his tackling style.  But he's fast, back peddles smoothly, a menace in the backfield.  If we want to put a stop to these deep balls being completed against us -- he'd help IMO. 

On another note, Tykee Smith there other safety popped some too,  I got to just focus on watching him one day.   

Edited by Skinsinparadise

While he scares me I think the pick is Maye 

but we absolutely must fix the o line through FA and the draft or we will ruin him 

Penix will be solid but last night was his make or break moment and he broke, not a top 5 pick 

Daniels while tantalizing will be an injury risk that we have already gone through before in rg3 

Edited by Skins199021
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

My bad,  I don't really follow those college teams so at first I thought you were talking about the coach from Washington,  I completely missed your comment about Moore being the Michigan OC........at first I was like who the hell is Sherrone Moore, it's obvious I was still half asleep and hadn't had my coffee yet lol 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

People might disagree but I think the Washington left tackle held his own last night against good competition (not so much for their RT)

think I would definitely take him in the 2nd round even if it were to play RT.