Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

10 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

When I started looking at QB's, Michael Penix Jr. was one I felt something was drawing me to him. Similar to Nix and McCarthy. My initial opinion of Penix was that he was a potential turnover machine. And although his stats accuracy wise are behind the others, I've reached an entirely different opinion on him. Perhaps that was just one especially bad game I watched of him and made a hasty decision.

It's time for me to come out and say for the record that I like Penix Jr. over Maye and by a good margin. The more I watch, the more I like. His arm is on par with Williams IMO. 

Michael Penix Jr. is now my QB #2. As long as the medicals check out, I'd take him #2 overall for the Commanders. 

Hey honestly I have no shame is saying he is my number 2 as well.

Maye just wasn’t that good this past year. He has a lot of the same traits that Howell has that people really hate around here 

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't care too much one way or another.

I find the QB thread more superficial.  The talk about for example do we even take a QB with our pick, etc and all the theoritical stuff -- I find it the more frustrating thread as for discussion compared to here.  But I'll engage either way.  On the draft thread we are good getting into brass tax about the specific players.

I am really excited to hear our ES draft regulars talk about players and draft philosophies to help build an offense around a young franchise QB. 

I was thinking about the quality of the draft scouting on this board earlier and it's just really, really good. Anybody can miss on scouting QB's and our guys here have too. But, I literally am not sure I can remember the draft consensus amongst our top 4 ES draft guru's wildly missing on an OL prospect, for instance. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Skintime said:

Not with 2 ACL injuries on the same knee, he will go later

He has had a lot of injuries, not just the ACL's. But he has not been injured in over 2 years. I think he will definitely go in the first if he turns out against Michigan the way he did against Texas. He is going to shoot up that board. He is a 1st round pick. We will not take him though. I agree with the majority of the posters that will either be Williams or Maye.  

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

It's a lock.  NE cannot pass on a QB.  Daniels is going there.  It'll be three QBs then MHJ to Zona.  LAC could go Nabers, OL, or Bowers.  NYG takes Nabers/Bowers.  Teen takes either QB4 or OL2.  Atlanta probably takes BPA (and trades for Fields or signs Kirk).  Chicago takes BPA.   NYJ takes best OL on the board.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mhd24 said:

It's a lock.  NE cannot pass on a QB.  Daniels is going there.  It'll be three QBs then MHJ to Zona.  LAC could go Nabers, OL, or Bowers.  NYG takes Nabers/Bowers.  Teen takes either QB4 or OL2.  Atlanta probably takes BPA (and trades for Fields or signs Kirk).  Chicago takes BPA.   NYJ takes best OL on the board.

Agree with this except Tennessee wont go QB. They took Levis last year and hes looked pretty good. 

11 minutes ago, illone said:

Dont discount Penix with the 2 pick. He is worthy. 

You may like him at #2, but don't use the #2 on him if you can trade back and still draft him (assuming our new FO agrees with you).  That would be poor asset management.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, No Nonsense said:

I doubt Penix Jr gets past the Giants. 

Dont think Giants are going QB with their first pick. They will go after a difference making skill player. I could see them taking one in the 2nd or maybe trading back up into the 1st to get someone like Nix though.

2 minutes ago, DiscoBob said:

You may like him at #2, but don't use the #2 on him if you can trade back and still draft him (assuming our new FO agrees with you).  That would be poor asset management.

I expect him to be a draft riser. 

we shall see!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If the Pats offer their 2025 1st to swap(among others) would you do it? I love Maye but Daniels can be good too and another potentially high future 1st could go a long way.

With the exception of already building my coaching staff around the idea of getting a specific guy (like a read option experienced coaching staff w/ the expectation of getting Daniels) I do that deal and don't think twice.

I'm good w/ any of the 3. Paying me to take one is just gravy.

13 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If the Pats offer their 2025 1st to swap(among others) would you do it? I love Maye but Daniels can be good too and another potentially high future 1st could go a long way.

I wouldn't.  Getting one of the QB prospects of the decade with your natural pick is the most fortunate break this franchise has received in decades.  The football gods smiled on us, and I wouldn't get cute with that.  Get the super blue chip QB prospect and then start figuring out how to build an offense around him.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Hell also be 24 his rookie year. Too much value lost. 

Maye is the pick. Don’t over think things.

What Value is lost? They both will come on the same rookie contract and with the same

exact amount of NFL experience.

only way it matters is if both are resounding successes and play until they are 40. Then yeah Maye would play 2 more year than him 

considering Howell had 17 games before he is considered worthless. Neither is going to have 3 years to develope and figure it out 

10 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

What Value is lost? They both will come on the same rookie contract and with the same

exact amount of NFL experience.

only way it matters is if both are resounding successes and play until they are 40. Then yeah Maye would play 2 more year than him 

considering Howell had 17 games before he is considered worthless. Neither is going to have 3 years to develope and figure it out 

He doesnt have as much growth potential at24 compared to Maye who will only be 22. Its actually a huge difference. 

The best players tend to be drafted around ages 20-22.