Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

2 hours ago, illone said:

Anthony Mix was tall…

so was Malcomb Kelley!!

😂

all jokes aside, height is definitely a concern so we agree there but Im still not drafting Maye. He is off my board entirely. I hope chicago takes him and saves us from ourselves. Or new england trades up for him.

I want zero part of drake maye. 

Lolz, what happened and are you sure it was him? : )

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I mean the knocks against both Burrow and Stroud were that they came from stacked teams and their WRs were really good....turns out Burrow and Stroud were actually just really good QBs and it all translated to the NFL. 

I would hope people have learned not to punish college QBs who have good WRs, especially in conferences where they are also playing against teams with stacked defenses full of potential NFL players

Not to mention, good QBs elevate their support cast, right?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Going Commando said:

It simplifies your reads when you know you can throw it to a guy in any one on one situation, that's for sure.

I know people are going to bring up Tez Walker as evidence that Drake's offense didn't suck, but he isn't that good and he missed a bunch of games while suing for his eligibility.  He also lost the Georgia Tech game for them.

Drake's tape is full of bad receiver play, bad play calls, and OLs letting defenders through the line of scrimmage untouched.  Drake rose above all of that and the fact that he was so poised, creative, and productive through the adversity is a major demonstration of NFL potential.

Agree.

8.2% rate drop rate from his receivers, I am pretty sure its the highest drop rate among this class of QBs.   He's the one dude in this class who didn't have a #1 WR.  I think even Rice at USC is better than Walker.

The whole team was on his back.  I think among these Qbs, he's the eaisest adjuster to a team that doesn't have a great supporting cast

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Not to mention, good QBs elevate their support cast, right?

That's exactly what Caleb Williams and Drake Maye did.  When you can carry a bunch of scrubs to top ten offensive rankings, that's elevating your supporting cast.  But you're no going to fool NFL scouts into thinking your teammates are first round picks.  They see who is making the plays and carrying the weight.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I think I just need an explanation for Maye’s huge drop in play last year, without saying oh his sporting cast wasn’t good.

Cant blame bad teammates when he is also playing bad teams.

I want to know because perhaps it is fixable. Blaming his teammates seems

very silly for a college QB. That position can literally carry a terrible roster in college 

My biggest concern with Maye is two things that are exactly like Howell. He makes some extremely boneheaded throws that end as interceptions 

and he can be very slow to make the next read (beyond the first one)

listen I won’t be upset that we pick him, I’d just be worried 

1 minute ago, Going Commando said:

That's exactly what Caleb Williams and Drake Maye did.  When you can carry a bunch of scrubs to top ten offensive rankings, that's elevating your supporting cast.  But you're no going to fool NFL scouts into thinking your teammates are first round picks.  They see who is making the plays and carrying the weight.

I'd argue that's what Penix has done as well.

And I'd push back a little on Maye and Williams accomplishing that task.

This is going to be a long offseason of conversations, so I'm going to pace myself :ols: 

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

This is going to be a long offseason of conversations, so I'm going to pace myself :ols: 

Penix had 2 rock star receivers and a good third receiver too

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

That I'd argue he helped create.

We'll see. Not sure he's a better prospect than Maye, Daniels or Williams yet.

But I think writing off Penix while saying Williams and Maye accomplished that task is a bit of a rushed take.

Just now, KDawg said:

What? Washington has one of the strongest supporting casts in all of college football.  They are gonna have like six players drafted from their starting lineup, and a bunch of those in the top 50 picks.  Again, Michael Penix is not fooling NFL scouts into think Rome Odunze and Ja'Lynn Polk are good when they are secretly scrubs.  They are just good.  Michael Penix is not fooling the Joe Moore people into thinking his line was good when they actually sucked and constantly broke the plays and nearly got him killed.  They were just good.

It's also not a subjective opinion that Drake and Caleb lifted their offense to excellence.  USC was third in the country in scoring offense the past two seasons, and UNC was seventh in the country in total offense this year.

I get the contrarian takes about Daniels even if I'm not remotely swayed by them.  I can see the compelling talent with him.  But this bizarre Penix boosting feels like contrarianism for the sake of contrarianism peppered with a metric ton of recency bias.  This is the only place on the Internet outside of Seattle where people think Penix is as good as Williams or Maye.

• Like 2

Just now, KDawg said:

That I'd argue he helped create.

We'll see. Not sure he's a better prospect than Maye, Daniels or Williams yet.

But I think writing off Penix while saying Williams and Maye accomplished that task is a bit of a rushed take.

Odunze IMO could eat Rice and Walker for lunch.  He IMO is a stud.  Great hands, makes contested catches 3% drop rate.  Polk IMO is better than Rice and Walker, too.

• Like 2

Just now, Going Commando said:

What? Washington has one of the strongest supporting casts in all of college football.  They are gonna have like six players drafted from their starting lineup, and a bunch of those in the top 50 picks.  Again, Michael Penix is not fooling NFL scouts into think Rome Odunze and Ja'Lynn Polk are good when they are secretly scrubs.  They are just good.  Michael Penix is not fooling the Joe Moore people into thinking his line was good when they actually sucked and constantly broke the plays and nearly got him killed.  They were just good.

It's also not a subjective opinion that Drake and Caleb lifted their offense to excellence.  USC was third in the country in scoring offense the past two seasons, and UNC was seventh in the country in total offense this year.

I get the contrarian takes about Daniels even if I'm not remotely swayed by them.  I can see the compelling talent with him.  But this bizarre Penix boosting feels like contrarianism for the sake of contrarianism peppered with a metric ton of recency bias.  This is the only place on the Internet outside of Seattle where people think Penix is as good as Williams or Maye.

I'm not sure if I think he is or isn't yet.

Tonight will say a lot.

I think Penix deserves more credit for the Huskies receiving best OL award and having three good receivers. Though to the point, I think you have to give those receivers credit, too.

Williams looked human this year without Jordan Addison. Who elevated who there? I'd say it's a wash. I think they both helped each other. Addison is a good pro but I think Williams made him look better.

USC's Bowl game didn't help Williams case for elevating talent, but then again Bowl Season is a mess and doesn't matter much.

Maye... that I can buy a bit more. He has nothing besides Tez. His OL is absolute garbage, I don't think USC's is as bad as UNC's. That's what I keep coming back to with Maye. He had a really, really **** cast around him and still was good.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Stroud also had a very strong supporting cast. I'm not sure how much stock you can place in such things when doing QB evals. That was why I was indifferent to an extent about Stroud last year but obviously he is a burgeoning superstar. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chump Bailey said:

Stroud also had a very strong supporting cast. I'm not sure how much stock you can place in such things when doing QB evals. That was why I was indifferent to an extent about Stroud last year but obviously he is a burgeoning superstar. 

The point wasn't about minimizing QBs with strong supporting casts.  It was about elevating QBs who didn't have them.

• Like 3

Just now, Chump Bailey said:

Yeah, I'm not sure what to take from any of it. Lessons have been learned the last few years in QB evals for me, and I'm struggling with applying everything... Mostly because not all of it actually matters.

I'm not sure where I stand completely yet.

I think there are four guys who are franchise level potential quarterbacks.

Williams

Maye

Daniels

Penix

But I'm not even sure of that, yet. I'm going to watch these guys a thousand times between now and the draft. I'll get a much better feel for my overall thoughts by then.

For now I think I have them as:

1. Williams

2. Daniels

3. Maye

4. Penix

But I think that's going to be real fluid. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Odunze IMO could eat Rice and Walker for lunch.  He IMO is a stud.  Great hands, makes contested catches 3% drop rate.  Polk IMO is better than Rice and Walker, too.

Jalen McMillan is being criminally slept on IMO. 

1 minute ago, Chump Bailey said:

Again. The same with Burrow who came to the NFL and took his team to a Super Bowl

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

The point wasn't about minimizing QBs with strong supporting casts.  It was about elevating QBs who didn't have them.

Where we disagree is on elevating someone who didn't have a strong supporting cast but also played a JV level of competition. No the WRs weren't great but their level of competition was laughable so to me that evens out. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

1. Williams

2. Daniels

3. Maye

4. Penix

But I think that's going to be real fluid

I'm preparing myself to be the most ridiculed poster on ES because if Penix Jr. shows out tonight, he will be my QB 1 :) 

Just now, Chump Bailey said:

I'm preparing myself to be the most ridiculed poster on ES because if Penix Jr. shows out tonight, he will be my QB 1 :) 

Tonight is big for Penix on literally every level. If he flames out it's going to go the other way. If he looks great he's going to catapult.

I'm with you. Not sure about QB1, but I'll be watching him a lot more intensely if he plays great. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Jalen McMillan is being criminally slept on IMO. 

He's decent.  He had a bigger year the season before.  And he's their third guy.  Washington's Wr corp is just a shade behind LSU.  Both teams with three receivers who likely play a major role in the NFL eventually.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Tonight is big for Penix on literally every level. If he flames out it's going to go the other way. If he looks great he's going to catapult.

I'm with you. Not sure about QB1, but I'll be watching him a lot more intensely if he plays great. 

Yes! Tonights game is huge for both QB's. If Penix plays at least good tonight against there D, he should solidify himself as an early day one selection. 

26 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Where we disagree is on elevating someone who didn't have a strong supporting cast but also played a JV level of competition. No the WRs weren't great but their level of competition was laughable so to me that evens out. 

Some hyperbole there.  But regardless, to play along, when I watch QBs, I look for traits more than anything.