Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Been playing around on draft games tonight a little bit. Would you trade both of our 2nd's to trade up for Bowers if he dropped a little bit? That possibility has happened a couple of timed. I've been drafting Latham at 11 then trading back up to 15-18 to draft Bowers. I think I would do that. 

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Been playing around on draft games tonight a little bit. Would you trade both of our 2nd's to trade up for Bowers if he dropped a little bit? That possibility has happened a couple of timed. I've been drafting Latham at 11 then trading back up to 15-18 to draft Bowers. I think I would do that. 

Don't think they will trade up into the first.

Trade up on day 2 is possible, but they need those picks. 

I think it's Bowers vs Coleman/Odonze vs OT

Be a great debate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

I would personally accumulate as many picks as possible. We need a overhaul at linebacker, Corner, Offensive line, and defensive end.

• Thumb up 2

3 hours ago, Going Commando said:

For me, if QB is off the table, and Bowers is still on the board when we pick, he would 100% be my pick.  No one else would even tempt me.  He is so special and such a perfect fit for the team that getting him is our ideal outcome IMO.  But I think he's going to get picked in the top five.

Pitts is not even in Bowers category for me. Bowers is a Cooley/Dallas Clark that can run a 4.5 40. I can’t think of a better TE prospect.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

I would personally accumulate as many picks as possible. We need a overhaul at linebacker, Corner, Offensive line, and defensive end.

We need impact players. Filling our depth with Day 3 picks hasn’t done much for us. I am fine with being aggressive and trading up for guys who can make an impact and have a chance to become a top 5 player at their position. Fill the depth with veterans who come free for the minumum like Crowder if needed.

Name a single guy we have who is top 5 at their position besides Tress. I would’ve said Jon Allen but he has regressed this season. 

On the other hand, look at SF. Trent, Kittle, Warner, Hufanga, McCaffrey and Bosa all fit that bill

The Eagles have Kelce, Lane Johnson, Hurts and Brown at a minimum. I would count Jalen Carter as well.

We need to find a way to scratch and claw our way to at least 3 All Pros next year and build on that. It is why I am pushing hard for Danielle Hunter but also why I am willing to move up in the draft or trade picks for guys that can achieve this in short order

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

10 hours ago, Going Commando said:

For me, if QB is off the table, and Bowers is still on the board when we pick, he would 100% be my pick.  No one else would even tempt me.  He is so special and such a perfect fit for the team that getting him is our ideal outcome IMO.  But I think he's going to get picked in the top five.

Interesting.  Right now, the top 10 order is:

1). Chicago (via Carolina)

2). NYG

3). NE

4). Arizona

5). Chicago

6). GB

7). LAR

8.  Ten

9). Atl

10). Wash

Obviously Williams/Maye go 1-2 in some order.  Harrison will go top 5 (Arizona is probably his floor at 4 right now).  I figure NE doesn't take a QB and goes OL with Fashanu/Alt and the other goes to Chicago at 5.  GB just took Musgrave last year and they may need a new QB depending on how Love finishes the year.  LAR could go QB as well.  However, they could take anyone.  Tennessee could easily take Bowers.  Atlanta won't go skill 4 years in a row LOL.  

Right now, if the draft were held today, LAR & Ten would be the biggest threats to take Bowers.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

Pitts is not even in Bowers category for me. Bowers is a Cooley/Dallas Clark that can run a 4.5 40. I can’t think of a better TE prospect.

Me neither.  He's the best TE prospect I've ever seen, and I think you have to go back to Kellen Winslow Jr to find a TE prospect with comparable pedigree/talent.  Clark and Cooley didn't have the power or hands or explosiveness that Bowers has.

I've never seen a TE be the clear cut best player on a great college football team like he has for three years now, or be the best player on the field as a true freshman in a big game full of future first and second rounders like he was in the SEC championship game against Alabama in 2021, or put a team on his back and carry them to a critical win like he did against Auburn in 2023.  He got every single critical third and fourth down conversion, adjusted to a heap of crappy passes from the QB, and scored the go ahead touchdown late on a big time catch and run.  He's the type of talent who can redefine the ceiling and impact of his position.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

Right now, if the draft were held today, LAR & Ten would be the biggest threats to take Bowers.

I think you have to consider Bowers the same way you do Marvin Harrison because, honestly, I think he's even better than Harrison is.  When this all shakes out, I think the consensus will be that this draft class has four special players in it: him and Harrison and the two QBs.  So Bowers should have a similar ceiling and floor to them, and be in the top five with them.

• Like 3

I agree that Bowers is the exception to the rule RE: tight ends.

Also, I hate the term generational talent. It’s overused. But Bowers is a legit generational talent.

he plays tight end but for draft status he should be considered a receiver. He and Harrison are the top pass catchers in the draft, imo. I have to do more watching but that’s where I stand at the moment.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

My actual hope is that another QB prospect falls to us and we can trade down and get a future 1st. Really start stacking draft capital. 

I'm ecstatic about Howell's progress, but I'm 100% on board with this idea if the new front office and coaching staff are in agreement. 

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

I think you have to consider Bowers the same way you do Marvin Harrison because, honestly, I think he's even better than Harrison is.  When this all shakes out, I think the consensus will be that this draft class has four special players in it: him and Harrison and the two QBs.  So Bowers should have a similar ceiling and floor to them, and be in the top five with them.

Yeah, you are probably right.  Bowers will go high and we won't have a chance at him unless all the QB needy teams (Chicago, NYG, NE, GB, Atlanta, and potentially Arizona) take QBs.  

I think Atlanta is a very interesting team.  They badly need a QB and Arthur Smith is probably fired if they don't make the playoffs. They would sell the farm for Caleb or Maye.  

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

Yeah Bowers as I've mentioned in other threads right now by a mile is my man crush in this draft pre-studying. 

• Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah Bowers as I've mentioned in other threads right now by a mile is my man crush in this draft pre-studying. 

Yeah, GC swayed me.  He's too talented to slip.  After Caleb/Maye go 1-2 (in some order), he's a defensible pick thereafter.  

49 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The Heisman is NOT the best player in college football. It really never has been.

Oh I think it's the best college football player for the most part. Sure it's weighted towards skill players because they are the most impactful but I think they get it right most of the time. But as we know the Heisman is a terrible barometer for NFL projections 

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Thumb up 1

If Howell and Pickett both hit, that'll be more evidence for my theory about why ACC QBs are often undervalued, but hit at higher rates than the best QB prospects from the other P5 conferences.  It's a training ground for NFL QB prospects.

Recruiting/developing future NFL OLs is really expensive, difficult, and takes elite and specialized coaching/development that ACC programs can't afford like the SEC and B1G can.  Not even Florida State or Clemson do it well.  And that's why we can't consistently compete with the power programs in the SEC and B1G unless we've got a Heisman QB in the conference.

But recruiting future stud DLs and DBs just takes finding athletes.  You can recruit these lanky 200 pound kids who are fast as Hell and develop them into beast DLs, and the East Coast is full of young players like this.  The ACC puts out elite DB/DL talent at the same rate as any of the other conferences, but OL talent at a drastically lower rate.  So ACC QBs who shine and get onto an NFL track do so by learning to manage pressure and make throws against good coverage.

It's also a really competitive conference where parity is the rule and there might only be one team separating themselves in talent each year.  So there aren't many tomato can match ups where your team is so much better than you don't really have to be that competitive or focused that week.  When you're talking about the mental/emotional grind of a season, the ACC is more like the NFL than have and have not conferences like the B1G and the SEC.

18 hours ago, mhd24 said:

He’s kind of my Bijan of this year LOL.  Still, I think if we are in a position to draft tackle, we will.  The fact that there are so many qb needy teams will mean some good talent will fall to us

Will be interesting to see where he goes. If not for a potential QB fest early I think he'd go in the Pitts zone (which was still too early, Falcons really were just colossal idiots in how they handled their recent top end firsts), but as is, I tend to think we'll pick too late to reach him, but man, if we were in the zone to get him, it would be really tempting. 

On 11/11/2023 at 6:35 PM, kingdaddy said:

O-line is our biggest need besides a new D-coordinator....We need to get 3 offensive linemen out of our top 5 picks along with a more dynamic RB and maybe a TE. We have D-ends in the burner who need to grow and learn. 

Can't really do that. 

We should be trying to get him the best OL available in round 1 (looks like they're should be at least 1-3 available around our slot), get FA help, and target it with a 3rd or 4th. 3rd and 4th round OL's have amongst the highest hit rates, so its worth a shot there, but you can't force this thing.

Usually interior lineman are a bit cheaper in free agency, and Tackles aren't, but we can't be too picky, if we can get stop gap help in FA, we should. We need to pull WR, TE, OL, RB, help in this and next offseason for Howell, and add another QB. This RB class is pretty weak but we could find one in round 2 or 3, possibly. 

Will be interesting to see how they handle it. I would use FA to add 2 lineman, and a vet QB backup unless we keep Brissett another year, and target WR, TE, RB, and 2 OL's in the next two drafts for O. The good news is this draft is better than the '23 class, and pretty solid, at least early, at OL (don't know about depth) and WR. 

• Like 1

On 11/13/2023 at 5:02 AM, DWinzit said:

Great hands, route running and excellent blocker....nah, who needs that

Crazy how good Laporta has been. Mayer's been a dead letter for most of the season with Laporta and Kincaid just killing it. Good news for Mayer fans/draftees in fantasy is he's gotten better since he was primarily a big fat 0 through the first 3 weeks of the season. Has 15 catches the past 7 games. Sucks, but at least he's waking up. But for now anyway, Laporta and Kincaid look like steals, especially Laporta. Needs to be said, Iowa is a mega TE factory. Crazy how many quality TE's they've produced. Kittle, Hockenson, Fant, and Laporta just since '17, and 12 over the past 20+ years were drafted. Crazy #'s. 

• Like 1

On 11/13/2023 at 5:24 AM, method man said:

Are there any guys we can grab in the 2nd this year who look like they can be backs who can run between the tackles, run with vision but also hit home runs?

It kills me to see what the Seahawks have in both Charbonnet and Walker

TreVeyon Henderson and Braelon Allen are both projected 2nd rounders, Allen is the better investment (significantly younger, healthier). After that, the rest of the guys are below, mid 3rd round or later prospects in no particular order.  If we want to have a legit RB to build around w/o many concerns heading into the draft, it's Allen. Otherwise, just dart throw in round 3 and 4 with the best CV's amongst the below guys. Considering Henderson's injury history, and age, I'd straight pass on him. 

Blake Corum

Trey Benson

Raheim Sanders

Jonathan Brooks

Will Shipley

Bucky Irving are probably the top guys. I think Henderson, Allen, and Corum are the most well thought of.