Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Commanders Chris Rodriguez Jr. RB, UK

PCS

Welcome to the team. Hope it works out for you.  

NFL.com Draft Pick Profile

Prospect Info

COLLEGE Kentucky

HEIGHT 6’ 0’’

WEIGHT 217 lbs

ARM 30 5/8’’

HAND 8 5/8’’

Production Score 71

2023 Combine RB Rank: 15th

Athleticism Score *est 73

2023 Combine RB Rank: 12th

Total Score 74

2023 Combine RB Rank: 12th

Bench Press 19 Reps

Overview

Rodriguez is a powerful runner, but he lacks the burst and creativity to become anything more than a downhill grinder. He has the size and mentality to do the dirty work between the tackles, but it could be a challenge for him to get to and through the hole quickly in the NFL. He’s a physical blitz protector, so teams might envision a role for him as a second-half battering ram and third-down quarterback protector.

Strengths

Two-time team captain.

Thick frame with ability to pick up tough yards.

Makes tacklers feel his size at impact.

Stays square getting through downhill cuts.

Low success rate guaranteed for arm-tacklers.

Stays on his feet through heavy angle strikes.

Allows lead blockers to do their work.

Steps up with force against incoming rushers.

*Click Link For More* 

CBS.com player page

Draft Scouting Report:

Rating: 65.56 (Role player)

Pro Comparison: Bilal Powell

Summary:

Chris Rodriguez Jr. is a stocky, old-school power back in every way imaginable. He's thick, has a wide frame and has serious contact balance. He seemingly looks for contact and delivers hits on any defender in his path. He will not stand for weak tackle attempts and will even explode through squared-up defenders. He pinballs off defenders on a regular basis like it's not a big deal. He spins off them, bounces off, doesn't matter; he will not go down on first contact often at all. He ran behind a lot of lead blockers and showcased quality vision in tight spaces between the tackles. He has a glimmer of wiggle but very far from "elusive." He does a rare jump cut at the line if there was early penetration by a defensive lineman and occasionally can string together multiple cuts on the same run, but he has minimal-to-below-average burst and long speed. He doesn't have receiving capabilities. The biggest hammer of a RB in this class, he is a niche type player who could be useful in a specific role.

Strengths:

Legitimate bruiser who'll laugh at weak arm-tackle attempts

Seemingly unfazed by most tackle attempts

Good between-the-tackles vision due to loads of SEC experience

Weaknesses:

Minimal burst and even less long speed

Cutting skills are barely there

*Click Link For More*

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Looks like a goal line/short yardage back. But isn't that what Robinson is for....

I don't get the feel we want to take a feature RB approach, regardless of whos starting.  I can see us carrying 4 backs, Robinson, Gibson, someone like Gibson, someone like Robinson.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

Not going to bash the pick. A few interesting thoughts. Had a DUI and does this say anything about our future offense with EB. Two bruiser RB now. Better learn special teams 

What are you saying? EB looked at his DUI and said, “yep, I see a lot of my game in that guy.” 🤣

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

What are you saying? EB looked at his DUI and said, “yep, I see a lot of my game in that guy.” 🤣

No, saying this is the first actual character concern player we’ve taken under Rivera that I can remember. Also saying that it seems like we are staying with the same 4 yards and a cloud of dust personnel at RB. The EB part has nothing to do with his character part. 

24 minutes ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

No, saying this is the first actual character concern player we’ve taken under Rivera that I can remember. Also saying that it seems like we are staying with the same 4 yards and a cloud of dust personnel at RB. The EB part has nothing to do with his character part. 

I get you. I’m just messing around. First read through, I connected Rodriquez’s DUI and EB and thought it was funny.

I actually like this pick if, like you said, he can prove himself on ST coverage.

I'm not a big fan of him as a draft pick, but I see the value of having him. I think he could have been a UDFA easily. But we basically have 3 power backs now. and I'm not sure we have a OL that works well with that kind of running attack.

Where does that leave Gibson? 3rd down? Ex WR could be nasty.