Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Emmanuel Forbes CB Mississippi State

zCommander

ATLANTA — Emmanuel Forbes Jr. watched every play of the Washington Commanders’ ugly, 24-16 win from the sideline. The first-round draft pick stood there — helmet on, green mouth guard dangling from his face mask — as the Atlanta Falcons marched down the field for an opening-drive touchdown Sunday. The defense tightened up for two quarters, then faltered. Forbes was ready to help, but his uniform remained a pristine white.

In the fourth quarter, the cornerback who shifted outside in Forbes’s absence, Benjamin St-Juste, intercepted a pass in the end zone. On the next possession, the veteran who replaced him, Danny Johnson, had a pass breakup on fourth down. If being benched bothered Forbes, he didn’t show it; he ran onto the field to celebrate the interception with St-Juste, conducting an elaborate handshake that finished with a bow-and-arrow move.

“It’s probably an opportunity for him to get a little reset,” Coach Ron Rivera said of Forbes. “[The plan was for him to] watch, see how things happen, see how things go. Hopefully it’s something he’ll learn from and take as a positive and grow from it.”

WEEK
EMMANUEL FORBES JR.
DEFENSIVE SNAPS
PERCENTAGE OF
DEFENSIVE SNAPS
65%
67%
41%
92%
38%
0%

Washington defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio made several significant changes Sunday. He countered the Falcons’ strong rushing attack with five-lineman fronts; replaced injured safety Darrick Forrest with Percy Butler; used Johnson and rookie Quan Martin in nickel and dime subpackages, respectively; and matched Atlanta’s heavy sets by at times switching out smaller defensive backs for linebacker/safety Khaleke Hudson (6-foot, 220 pounds).

Rivera said Del Rio made those adjustments partly because of Forrest’s injury, partly because of Atlanta’s unusual run-first offense and partly because his struggling defense needed to try something new. There were uneven signs of progress: Washington still allowed nine explosive plays, but only three went for 20 or more yards. It’s an open question which tweaks Del Rio will stick with against more standard offenses.

Specifically for Forbes: Did Washington bench the thin cornerback, generously listed at 6-foot and 180 pounds, because he’s a bad matchup against Atlanta? Or was he benched because there are concerns about his ability? Maybe a combination of both. But every snap he sits will lead to more questions about his development and the evaluation process that led Washington to draft him.

So will Forbes play next week?

“We’ll see how things go,” Rivera said. “Each week is a different week. Each week’s a different opponent. That’s how we’re going to approach it — based on who we play and what the game plan is.”

Initially, Del Rio eased Forbes in, playing him mostly in packages with three cornerbacks. In Week 4 against Philadelphia, he trusted Forbes with the huge assignment of covering elite wideout A.J. Brown. Forbes got torched, but Washington wanted him to play through it. But in the loss to Chicago, Forbes got burned again, and in the fourth quarter, Del Rio benched him for Johnson. This past week, Rivera chided Forbes for inconsistent technique and used his over-aggression as an example of players trying to do more than their jobs.

“One thing I had to learn: The game is bigger than me,” Forbes said after Sunday’s victory. “I’m glad we got the [win]. I just trust God. He got a plan for me, and whatever it is, I’m with it. So I’m just enjoying the process, and [I] can’t do nothing but go to work and get better each day.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/10/16/emmanuel-forbes-future-commanders/

16 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Loved to see Forbes meet Davis in the end zone to celebrate the game sealing pick.  Good sign he’s not pouting.

^^^

Sounds like Forbes does have the right attitude.

He can still be a contributor to this defense.  Time to forget about his draft position and develop his role.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

He can still be a contributor to this defense.  Time to forget about his draft position and develop his role.

Be interesting to see what role they carve out for him.  It was only five games, but I think it’s safe to say shutdown corner is out of range.  Curious to see if he’s handed the job back, or worked back in limited packages.

I mean he was always going to take time to develop but when you got 3 or 5 corners coming out as rookies and they all looked good to great to shut down in their own rights and Forbes looks like a child out there amongst grown men, well we picked the wrong one. Man I wanted Gonzales. But you know we usually don't pick those no Brainer picks and when we do we get burned...chase young was the no Brainer. Rg3, Orakpo (he was good just never dominant) etc etc.

• Like 2
  • Thumb down 1

On 10/17/2023 at 11:44 AM, Dan T. said:

^^^

He sure can, but not if JDR is leaving him on an island with AJ Brown. If the coaching staff does nothing to help him we will likely be calling for his bench again.

• Thumb up 1

37 minutes ago, mh86 said:

He sure can, but not if JDR is leaving him on an island with AJ Brown. If the coaching staff does nothing to help him we will likely be calling for his bench again.

Someone drafted in the first round shouldn't need any help.  That's the point,  we waaaaaaaaaaay over reached for this guy.  Stupid ****ing Ron

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

1 hour ago, srtman04 said:

Someone drafted in the first round shouldn't need any help.  That's the point,  we waaaaaaaaaaay over reached for this guy.  Stupid ****ing Ron

Many first round picks need help to be successful in the NFL. Was he a reach? Maybe. Regardless, he is who we have. Coaches should strive to place our players in the best situations. Especially when the coach in question wanted Forbes badly. However, that’s not the case. That being said, who’s at fault then? The player or the coach?

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

On 10/17/2023 at 11:44 AM, Dan T. said:

Yes, the way it sounds, Forbes had the usual problem a rookie can have.

Trying to hard to impress. Running all over the field, trying to do everything.  Be a one man gang.

He needs to stay focused, stay disciplined, and follow his assignments. Not try and do everything.

The game will come to him.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

What he and every other corner on this team needs is high safety help when single covering elite receivers down the field.  I'm not brushing that off or buying in to the scapegoating of Forbes.  We saw inexcusable coaching failures for the first five weeks and it directly led to losses.  This team could be 5-1 if they had received competent coaching.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Fuller might be out so it looks like Forbes might get some play this Sunday

Clearly he needs more chances, and I am hoping he pans out, but looking at the vid @Califan007 The Constipatedjust posted, he looks fairly slow, and confused at times regarding what is happening out there on those routes.   I hope it is just a learning curve. 

6 hours ago, Going Commando said:

What he and every other corner on this team needs is high safety help when single covering elite receivers down the field.  I'm not brushing that off or buying in to the scapegoating of Forbes.  We saw inexcusable coaching failures for the first five weeks and it directly led to losses.  This team could be 5-1 if they had received competent coaching.

This is the ONLY reason I am rooting for the team to fail at turning it around this season, so there is no other option than to clean house.  To have a defense that's as talented as we have, it's absolutely inexcusable that we suck at getting pressure on the QB.  There have been no adjustments, even after players on the opposing team admitted to knowing exactly what we were going to do in big time situations.  And GM Ron Rivera should be fired for leaving the offensive line in tatters before this season began. I'm so done with the coaching staff, it's time to wipe the slate clean.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1