Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Emmanuel Forbes CB Mississippi State

zCommander

The young man is getting embarrassed out there.

It is time to sit out for the good of the team.

Much like Barton. Both need to stay off the field for the D to be good. 

Ego got the reality check, but you don't have the opportunity for him to work through it. He needs to compete better and that won't be an overnight fix. 

High potential, but he is a year away from being any good. When a team has 2 or more easy targets, you get carved up all year. 

2 hours ago, Silvernon said:

It is time to sit out for the good of the team.

Much like Barton. Both need to stay off the field for the D to be good. 

Rivera talks a lot of smack about accountability.  But I don't see it for the people he hand picked.  Ron benched Haskins after 4 games.  Forbes, Barton, and Wylie need to go on the bench for the season except in cases of injuries.  

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

The guy has played five ****ing games. Let’s give him at least a full season before we crucify the guy. Our fanbase is insufferable at times. 

Tell me why you believe in him and what positives you’ve seen that lead you to believe the ‘insufferable’ criticism is unfair.  I’ll wait.  😭

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Tell me why you believe in him and what positives you’ve seen that lead you to believe the ‘insufferable’ criticism is unfair.  I’ll wait.  😭

Because he did have alot of interceptions in college and he was always around the ball.   These are all qualities that are intangible and can't be taught.   I wouldn't have picked him in the first round,  but he can develop into a good corner over time.  He at least deserves to learn the NFL and adjust to the speed and power of the players. 

Edited by srtman04

1 minute ago, srtman04 said:

Because he did have alot of interceptions in college and he was always around the ball.   These are all qualities that are intangible and can't be taught.   I wouldn't have picked him in the first round,  but he can develop into a good corner over time.  He at least deserves to learn the NFL and adjust to the speed and power of the players. 

Looks a whole lot to me like the talent jump from college to the pros is a huge issue for him.

Like I said earlier, I feel like if there is any way to get this kid serviceable in the league, the coaches to do that don’t have an office in Ashburn.  At least not now.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It is possible to be concerned with the play of a rookie without the "insufferable" criticism or extreme reactions like calling a player a bust after 5 games.

He didn't say he believes in him but that the crucifixion is over the top.

Both opinions are fair.

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 1

Just now, redskinss said:

It is possible to be concerned with the play of a rookie without the "insufferable" criticism or extreme reactions like calling a player a bust after 5 games.

I’d never call a player a bust after 5 games.

But history is not in Forbes favor.  Rarely do players play as poorly as he has to start his career and end up being good players in the league.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, redskinss said:

He didn't say he believes in him but that the crucifixion is over the top.

Both opinions are fair.

But he’s 68 pounds so… there’s that.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Because it’s been five games. I still see skills on his college tape. So did a lot of scouts. He’s getting acclimated. 

To say he’s struggling big time right now is fair. To say he’s a bust is silly at this point.

The Rivera regime is almost over. I think the hatred for all things Ron spills over to his draft choices, perhaps unfairly at times. 

I wish we’d support our rookies more than we do around here. Or our players in general. If they are good we complain that they aren’t great. If they’re Pro Bowl we complain that they’re not All Pro. Some people here still think Ryan Kerrigan is overrated.

So yes…it feels insufferable at times. 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 2

8 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I wish we’d support our rookies more than we do around here. Or our players in general. If they are good we complain that they aren’t great. If they’re Pro Bowl we complain that they’re not All Pro. Some people here still think Ryan Kerrigan is overrated.

I guess if folks are following him to the grocery store calling him a bust, yeah - that’s a bit much.  But I’m confident that he hasn’t the faintest clue what folks on this forum are saying about him.

I had Ron’s back for longer than most, so it’s definitely not Ron bias.  But if you look at the 2023 offseason, both FA and draft class, it’s among the worst I can recall.  Forbes just being the most obvious.

51 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

But history is not in Forbes favor.  Rarely do players play as poorly as he has to start his career and end up being good players in the league.  

Get Darrell Green to tutor him....or Smoot. But name one of them the new DC first, that would be a good start to fixing things. How bout getting London Fletcher as the new DC? He has to be better. Hell, hire Warren Sapp. 

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

^^ this 100%.

I think Forbes might still end up being a decent player, but I don't see him ever being great consistently over any sort of stretch of time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yep. Struggles are normal but I’ve always felt that good players rarely look “worst guy on the field bad” even as young players. Forbes has been on the extreme side of rookie struggles. I’m quite concerned bc I always figured he’d get burned a fair amount due to his style but never in my wildest dreams could I envision the last two weeks. That’s stuff you’d see in HS where one guy is just getting absolutely picked on bc he doesn’t belong. Travon Diggs gets burned a lot. So did DHall but never remember a ball hawk get put in a blender like that. 

I’m really rooting for him bc we desperately need playmakers but you just can’t put stuff like that on tape. He has to improve ASAP. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

This is exactly how I feel.  Other first round corners have not been protected, they started and in this league when you start you will be matched up against a good receiver.  If they didn't put him on AJ Brown they would have put him on Devonte Adams who is just as dangerous.  As I have said before I don't recall any player who turned out to be really good ( and this is the expectation for the 2nd CB taken in any draft) starting out so poorly. But I sure have seen a lot of busts start out this way.

I think you meant Devonta Smith. I agree with your point though, except I don't think he's just as dangerous as AJ Brown. He is absolutely unbelievable. I wish he were on our team 😢

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Get Darrell Green to tutor him....or Smoot. But name one of them the new DC first, that would be a good start to fixing things. How bout getting London Fletcher as the new DC? He has to be better. Hell, hire Warren Sapp. 

Smoot loved him before the draft, he'd be the guy perhaps.  Smoot was a guy from what I recall who didn't suck in season 1.

I don't like what this is doing to his confidence.  He took down his twitter account.  We saw him sulk on the bench.  And Ron is making him the posterchild for the early season defensive struggles.  When he was asked what he was doing about the struggles, his answer was more or less we saw enough so far from Forbes to bench him.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Daniel.redskins said:

Rivera talks a lot of smack about accountability.  But I don't see it for the people he hand picked.  Ron benched Haskins after 4 games.  Forbes, Barton, and Wylie need to go on the bench for the season except in cases of injuries.  

He's certainly benching Forbes.  If anything he's been IMO a bit over the top where it comes off like Forbes is the culprit for the defensive struggles.  I gather for self-preservation it comes off better that one dude versus the whole unit is the problem.

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/2731538

Washington Commanders head coach Ron Rivera is standing by his decision to bench rookie cornerback Emmanuel Forbes during Thursday night's game against the Chicago Bears.

"We have to continue to put the guys out there that we believe are gonna get it done the right away," Rivera said Friday.

Forbes struggled through most of Thursday's contest before Rivera pulled the 2023 No. 16 pick in favor of Danny Johnson in the club's 40-20 loss.

The result is Washington's third straight defeat after starting the season with back-to-back victories. Rivera added Friday that he won't continue to play younger players if they struggle and harm the team's chances of winning.

"I think doing what we did with Emmanuel was kind of the indicator that we can't go through this anymore," Rivera said. "Now it's time."

Forbes has allowed 20 receptions on 27 targets for 401 yards and two touchdowns through five games. However, the 180-pound corner has broken up four passes and recorded an interception. Forbes has garnered a 37 overall grade and a 43.8 coverage grade, per PFF.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's certainy benching Forbes.  If anything he's been IMO a bit over the top where it comes off like Forbes is the culprit for the defensive struggles.  I gather for self-preservation it comes off better that one dude versus the whole unit is the problem.

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/2731538

Washington Commanders head coach Ron Rivera is standing by his decision to bench rookie cornerback Emmanuel Forbes during Thursday night's game against the Chicago Bears.

"We have to continue to put the guys out there that we believe are gonna get it done the right away," Rivera said Friday.

Forbes struggled through most of Thursday's contest before Rivera pulled the 2023 No. 16 pick in favor of Danny Johnson in the club's 40-20 loss.

The result is Washington's third straight defeat after starting the season with back-to-back victories. Rivera added Friday that he won't continue to play younger players if they struggle and harm the team's chances of winning.

"I think doing what we did with Emmanuel was kind of the indicator that we can't go through this anymore," Rivera said. "Now it's time."

Forbes has allowed 20 receptions on 27 targets for 401 yards and two touchdowns through five games. However, the 180-pound corner has broken up four passes and recorded an interception. Forbes has garnered a 37 overall grade and a 43.8 coverage grade, per PFF.

" We can't go through this anymore. " I think those just might be the words Josh uses when talking to Rivera at the end of the season. Either that or " don't let the door hit ya, where the good Lord split ya! "

• Like 2

what makes the pick look bad at the moment is the same thing many of us said at the time, whether its me, @KDawg, @Koolblue13, @DWinzit was that it was a very deep draft for CB.  If you are taking a CB that early they better be a stud.  Because that draft was at least 4 rounds deep at that spot.  One of my favorites for example DJ Turner was taken in the late 2nd round -- like Forbes he's a bit undersized but he's not as undersized as Forbes and he's faster than him and has played better than Forbes so far.

The nutty thing about that draft isn't just that it looks like they will get ZERO help for 2023 from that class but the fact that they drafted to need with what we viewed with an odd approach.  They felt the need to go early in round 1 and 2 with arguably the deepest spot in the draft.  They then ignored the thinest position in the draft until the late third after so many players were gone.  They felt desperate in the 5th when the edge rushers were mostly gone and traded two picks to get Henry.

In many of our humble opinions they were playing Candy Land not chess in that draft as to how they handled it.  And yes we are amateurs at this and that's what makes this more damning.  I'd say half the people at least who participate in that draft thread could have done a better job than the "brain trust" at a minimum in the context of helping Ron win in 2023.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Good luck to Ron if he thinks replacing Forbes with Danny Johnson is going to cure the defenses ills. 🤣

The funnier part of this for me is he is coming off pissed at Forbes.  I am thinking dude that was your draft pick,  He did a whole video bragging about how Forbes was on his mind before the pick was made.  He celebrated the pick like it was a slam dunk success before he played a snap.

Now he's the scapegoat for the season.  He turns on some of these guys fast.    His first round pick has given up more yards than any other CB in the league.  His 2nd round pick is a special teams player purely so far.  No one else is playing from that class.  Barton has been a mess.

Why does the defense suck?  Some put that all on Del Rio.  I agree he deserves some of the blame.   But the dude who shopped for the groceries arguably gave them their 2 worst players so far (Barton and Forbes) who have been liabiities.  Their 2nd round pick can't even beat Percy Butler for playing time.  KJ Henry some thought might be cut after a mediocre camp.  Only semi bright like is Andre Jones but he can't be that hot considering they aren't playing him as far as I noticed.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

And yes we are amateurs at this and that's what makes this more damning.  I'd say half the people at least who participate in that draft thread could have done a better job than the brain trust at a minimum in the context of helping Ron win in 2023.

We aren’t talking about hindsight either, this was all said in real time.  Add free agency into the mix and this is the worst offseason I can recall in quite some time.  Bruce’s 2017 offseason of Terrell Pryor upon losing DJax and Garçon along with the 2 for 1 Mc’s coupled with a bad draft ranks up there but they did at least net Jon Allen. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

We aren’t talking about hindsight either, this was all said in real time.  Add free agency into the mix and this is the worst offseason I can recall in quite some time.  Bruce’s 2017 offseason of Terrell Pryor upon losing DJax and Garçon along with the 2 for 1 Mc’s coupled with a bad draft ranks up there but they did at least net Jon Allen. 

Yeah the Brian Quick off season. 😎. It looks right now up there with that one and the Vinny Cerrato one where we got three pass catchers in that draft.  But at least in that one even though Fred Davis was dissapointing he could play.