Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Emmanuel Forbes CB Mississippi State

zCommander

40 minutes ago, MrJL said:

I thumbs down because I don't like the psychics on here.  I'll call him a bust when he's out of the league to early for a first rounder

It has zero to do with being psychic, and everything to do with forming an opinion based on what we’ve seen.

1 minute ago, redskinss said:

Anybody else notice that he keeps getting lighter and lighter as the pages pass by.

By next week he's gonna be 6'4 and 96 lbs.

He plays likes he’s 96lbs.

It’s more of an indictment on Ron, JDR and the gang than it is on him though.  

• Thumb up 2

Just now, MrJL said:

I thumbs down because I don't like the psychics on here.  I'll call him a bust when he's out of the league to early for a first rounder

And until then you just won’t have any thoughts of your own about it? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, MrJL said:

no, I'll say he's playing poorly.  Bust is a very final statement to me

Have you seen anything to suggest that he will ever live up to his draft status?

I’m not being facetious either.  I’m legitimately curious if anyone is seeing anything I’m missing from a positive standpoint.  I’m all ears for some semblance of positivity that I’m overlooking.

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Have you seen anything to suggest that he will ever live up to his draft status?

I’m not being facetious either.  I’m legitimately curious if anyone is seeing anything I’m missing from a positive standpoint.  I’m all ears for some semblance of positivity that I’m overlooking.

I don't judge the future based on gives games.

the positivity is he was a consensus first round draft pick and most first rounders aren't total busts

In terms of Forbes and us not doing him any favors, it isn't unusual for first round CBs to be starters their first year.  He's the 2nd CB taken in the draft and the 16th pick overall.  Those types of CBs normally start and so then do have to defend elite WRs some.  Given that evaluation of him, asking him to go out and at least be somewhat competent against good WRs isn't crazy.  

The issue isn't so much what he's being asked to do.  The issue is how they evaluated him.  They didn't do him any favors by making him the 16th pick (other than he's getting paid like a 16th pick vs. a late 2nd round pick or later which is what he probably should have been).

• Thumb up 2

10 minutes ago, MrJL said:

I don't judge the future based on gives games.

the positivity is he was a consensus first round draft pick and most first rounders aren't total busts

His weaknesses on the scouting report are the same weaknesses we are seeing on gameday, just further magnified because the talent in the NFL is so much better than in college.  What has been concerning to me, isn’t even so much him regularly getting beat, but the ways he’s getting beat.  Beyond the obvious big plays he’s been on the other side of, he’s simply not big enough to shed blocks, make tackles or be physical at the LOS.

If he is to improve and even remotely live up to his draft status, it’ll be a testament to him and whatever coaches can get the most out of him.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

In terms of Forbes and us not doing him any favors, it isn't unusual for first round CBs to be starters their first year.  He's the 2nd CB taken in the draft and the 16th pick overall.  Those types of CBs normally start and so then do have to defend elite WRs some.  Given that evaluation of him, asking him to go out and at least be somewhat competent against good WRs isn't crazy.  

The issue isn't so much what he's being asked to do.  The issue is how they evaluated him.  They didn't do him any favors by making him the 16th pick (other than he's getting paid like a 16th pick vs. a late 2nd round pick or later which is what he probably should have been).

most people seemed to have him last first rather than late second

We'll, we've seen the bad, we're bound to see some good. IF he keeps getting on the field. Gonna hope for the best! It's just unfortunate how small he is, when the time comes to tackle.  I'm not concerned (at this point) about his hands and wheels. 

10 hours ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

One thing is for sure, training camp reports are apparently worthless. We read countless times, how phenomenal Forbes looked. How he was all over Mclaurin and Dotson like stink on poo. Then the regular season starts and whoa, what the hades is going on!!! I hope it's just early season rookie struggles and he eventually becomes a stud. Not looking good currently, to state the obvious.

In fairness I don't think we heard how phenomenal Forbes was.  What we heard was that much like Jahan Dotson last year, Forbes looked like a day 1 starter.  We hard that he was a real competitor and that he did take some losses but got his share of wins.  Based on that I was expecting him to say be the same level as St. Juste this year.  Hasn't happened.  That said I still place a decent amount of meaning in training camp.   I wish Forbes was playing better, but I am not near as down on him as others.  He runs a 4.35 and has exceptional change of direction (the benefit of being 170 pounds).  He also has long arms (32.25 inches).  He has two things working against him.  His fundamentals are not where they need to be.  Further his lack of weight is also a disadvantage at the top of a route when a receiver is trying to get separation.   In terms of mentality he is aggressive.  A ball hawk.  But that does mean he will guess wrong and will have higher variance.  Add in his lack of fundamentals and when you get bad variance, he can be a bad player.  He needs to get better at the fundamentals.

But I still think he will be a good player.  I think what we saw in training camp matters.   Take a look at Cole Turner.  Good training camp as a rookie, looked like a decent option as a backup TE.   Then he struggled last season.   Now in year 2, he is a solid backup TE.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, philibusters said:

Take a look at Cole Turner.  Good training camp as a rookie, looked like a decent option as a backup TE.   Then he struggled last season.   Now in year 2, he is a solid backup TE.

Cole Turner was a 5th rounder, that only converted from WR to TE in his senior year.  Clearly a developmental player by all definitions.

As for Forbes camp, I don’t recall hearing he had a great camp.  The word is he got that work from the Ravens in joint practices.

I feel like if there are any coaches that can salvage something out of this young man, they don’t work in Ashburn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Cole Turner was a 5th rounder, that only converted from WR to TE in his senior year.  Clearly a developmental player by all definitions.

My point wasn't that they were similar players.  As you point out one was a developmental prospect and one was a first rounder.  My point was is that I think how they play and compete in training camp has a rookie has some long term meaning.

I'd bet anyone in here a penny that Ron wasn't even aware of Forbes height/weight measurables when he drafted him.

Obviously, pure conjecture. But, it strikes me as the kind of "finer detail" that Ron could have spaced-out on (like late-season playoff implications, etc.)...and is the only explanation for taking this dude over a much more complete player in Gonzales.

12 hours ago, PeterMP said:

This is exactly how I feel.  Other first round corners have not been protected, they started and in this league when you start you will be matched up against a good receiver.  If they didn't put him on AJ Brown they would have put him on Devonte Adams who is just as dangerous.  As I have said before I don't recall any player who turned out to be really good ( and this is the expectation for the 2nd CB taken in any draft) starting out so poorly. But I sure have seen a lot of busts start out this way.

When Forbes was drafted, I said he was a boom or bust pick.  So that he's struggling and appears to be a bust doesn't surprise me.  But I still wouldn't yet chalk him up as a bust.

Does anybody know what his actual weight is vs. what he played with last year in college?  If he's put on 10-15 lbs., playing with that extra weight will be an extra adjustment, even if is muscle (if he can make that adjustment.  Not everybody can put on weight like that an retain their agility/balance/athleticism).

10 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

When Forbes was drafted, I said he was a boom or bust pick.  So that he's struggling and appears to be a bust doesn't surprise me.  But I still wouldn't yet chalk him up as a bust.

Does anybody know what his actual weight is vs. what he played with last year in college?  If he's put on 10-15 lbs., playing with that extra weight will be an extra adjustment, even if is muscle (if he can make that adjustment.  Not everybody can put on weight like that a retain their agility/balance/athleticism).

Not sure what he weighs now but to keep with @redskinss expectations I am pretty sure he weigh 73 pounds.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

The guy has played five ****ing games. Let’s give him at least a full season before we crucify the guy. Our fanbase is insufferable at times. 

Agreed. Just because he’s 71 pounds doesn’t mean we should count the guy out.

• Haha 5