Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 NFL Draft Watch and Post Thread - The Hangover Special

KDawg

Our secondary may rival our defensive line the way things are going.....We have playmakers back there and playmakers up front now. How can you not be excited about that? If Jamin Davis keeps getting better our defense is gonna be sick good. No doubt about it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, kingdaddy said:

Our secondary may rival our defensive line the way things are going.....We have playmakers back there and playmakers up front now. How can you not be excited about that? If Jamin Davis keeps getting better our defense is gonna be sick good. No doubt about it. 

Because the defense was not the issue. it was the offense.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Speaking of Keim he wasn't kidding that Ron is working off of the idea of O line or hybrid safety in round 2-3

That's exactly what they did.

Keim suggested they are working a list at both spots.  Suggested O line was first, hybrid-safety comes next.  But it could alternate.

So I gather like yesterday the O lineman on their list (we know Bergeron and Avilia were on it) were taken so they shifted to hybrid safety.

While I hate the method to the madness.  I do love Quan Martin so I'll take him off the hook for it.

Not me. The issue remains the issue. I really liked Forbes the player yesterday, but I think we have a flawed strategy. I liked Quran Martin, too, not to your extent, but I didn’t think he was the BPA.

We drafted for need. In both picks. And I think you are really good at separating player from strategy, so I think this still resonates:

We are awful at team building. Absolutely horrendous. But our FO is EXCELLENT at identifying talent. I really have full belief that every player we draft is probably an absolute dog. And I can’t remember many players we’ve taken that I didn’t think were good.

But the strategy, man. We don’t maximize our drafts at all.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

I have a greater faith than that.

That's great but fans need to remember that SH is basically a rookie.  No matter how talented he might be, there's a world of NFL football that he hasn't experienced yet.  The dude is gonna make a lot of mistakes.  And that's not a knock on him - Peyton Manning and tons of other HOF QBs had to make their mistakes too.  

Sam is not a veteran under center in the NFL.  You simply can't put that much pressure on him and expect him to look great next year.  He'll flash at times, but game film will be studied on him and DCs will scheme to take him out of what he can do.  I like Sam, but we gotta keep expectations of such a young, unproven player at the hardest position in sports on an even keel.

Sam's gonna be running for his life all year long.  And he's gonna have defensive linemen in his face consistently.  This O line isn't that good, and it's injury prone.  Bates has had a hell of a time staying healthy.  Ditto Cosmi and Chase R.  And Wylie isn't exactly an impenetrable stone wall.  It's too late to add a talented enough player along the O line in this draft that can make a big difference next year.  The O line is MAYBE moderately better than last year's, which isn't saying much, and our division foes have gotten much strong on their D lines.  That ain't good.

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I see the strategy. But it’s a bold move, Cotton. Let’s see if it pays off.

It won’t.  

They have an enormous amount of faith that the OL can hold up.  Granted, they did get 2 new starters.

The whole season might rest on Leno and whoever wins the LG competition.  

I get that they really like their WR’d and young TEs and RBs. 

They must have thought TH and Wentz last year were a large part of the OL problem. 

And clearly they think Scott Turner was a huge part of the problem. 

So, they’re pinning the hopes on the whole team on lLeno and LG holding up, and Howell being good.  

They’re assuming EB is a huge upgrade. (I think they’re right on that.)

We’ll see. I’m dubious because I don’t think the OL is going to hold up.  And then nothing else will matter offensively.

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I agree with Chris Sims enthusiasm for Martin.

Like I said it makes me appreciate the Forbes pick so much more.

Even with the Forbes addition the secondary felt B level to me.  it was missing something.

And Quan Martin is that guy IMO.  Perfect complement.  

You got two ballers, two ball hawks, and no weaknesses now in that unit -- except for they arguably don't have a true #1 stud shutdown corner

And that's before delving into the idea that this defense fell apart when Curl was out.  this dude IMO will change that.

As the PFF guys say about the secondary, you don't need studs everywhere but the best secondaries have no weaknesses that can be exploited.  After the Forbes pick we still had a weakness IMO but no more.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 2