Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 NFL Draft Watch and Post Thread - The Hangover Special

KDawg

Just now, NoVaSkins21 said:

I think Gonzalez would have been the better pick, but this coaching staff wants turnovers and sees a lot of that in Forbes.  Guy needs to bulk up a little and I think he'll be fine

There are also concerns circulating about Gonzalez's work ethic and attitude.  Neither is close to being an issue with Forbes.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

We can still somewhat "salvage" the draft in my mind. I think a trade down from #47 would be ideal. I'd love to add a 3rd. We miss on TE in this scenario, but we can't hit all the holes.

image.png.2f1b269eb377f83be54b229f06924f87.png

Not gonna make people see our draft and drop their jaw but would overall make this team extremely stronger. Would love this.

2 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

Not gonna make people see our draft and drop their jaw but would overall make this team extremely stronger. Would love this.

I’d love it too but it’s wildly unrealistic, as all the draft simulators are. Branch is going well before our pick and would certainly be gone if we traded down.

Edited by seantaylor=god

35 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I love Keion White.

But I think there is a better chance that the Eagles add him than we do.  :ols:   I can see the Giants doubling down on the spot.  

I know some on the draft thread seem to think having 5 really good D lineman is overkill or an unneeded luxury.  But I don't see it that way.  i doubt the Giants see it that way either considering they won a SB by having 3 killer edge players, not just 2. 

Yeah.  Going Commando was also big on BJ Ojulari.  I think he'd rate him above Nolan Smith.  I wouldn't hate edge in the 2nd.  You need to keep replenishing.  However, taking an OL (hoping Bergeron or Tippmann) seems the path.  Whatever people criticize Ron for, he's not mortgaging the future or trying to save his job (like Pace did in Chicago with the Fields trade).  

9 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

I'm concerned about his free fall in the draft, just like Joey Porter Jr

Keim's today's podcast

A.  Unlike what he said on the Junkies, he flat out said they'd have liked to trade back.

B.  Basically suggested they were working lists in the first round at OT and CB.  Their top 4 OTs were gone so they worked their corner list and took the best corner left.  Witherspoon was their #1 CB.

C.  They liked Gonzalez but were bothered by his game against Georgia.  Porter they weren't going to go for.   Maybe Banks but they liked Forbes ball skills better.

D.  He's not sure if they would take Branch.  Seems like they like the player but don't like his size for big nickle.

E.  For Forbes they like his fit -- off coverage, eyes on the QB, ball hawk.   They like his swagger including him shrugging off being light weight wise as not mattering.

F.  For today.  Think O line-Big nickel (which could be safety or LB).  Sounds like the preference is O line first and then big nickel. 

I am extrapolating this part based on how Keim explained how they approached round 1 -- feels like they preferred OT but CB took over when their top 4 tackles were gone.

So with that same approach, I gather they have lists at O line and Big nickel for these rounds and will take the best one at both spots.  Favoring again O line but if by chance all the O lineman on their list are gone then they'd go big nickel in the 2nd.

He sort of implied that TE now is unlikely on for day 2 but maybe.  He mentioned just Musgrave this time.  No other TEs were mentioned.

Bergeron seems to be their top O lineman left on the board.  No mention of Dawand.

For LB -- hybrid.  Henley

Safety -- hybrid.  Antonio Johnson.

I talked some about Antonio Johnson on the draft thread.  He's a fun player IMO, he makes some hard hitting, tone setting tackles.   Well rounded safety -- good against the run and pass.  Good athlete.   I've read he's a smart dude.    Not a ball hawk though.

I like Quan Martin better but he's a different kind of player. 

If they like Antonio, surprised i haven't heard interest in Ji'ayir Brown.  He's similar stylistically IMO to Antonio but is more of a ball hawk.  But IMO Antonio would be fun in this defense -- crashing downhill to stop the run and is good against the pass, too. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Dawand Jones apparently has some major character issues. He might be undraftable.

Yeah, I assumed he’s off our board with the canceled visit. Weird stuff.

Folks may riot if we bypass oline but assuming Bergeron is gone, who else would be BPA there? JMS or Tippman would be ok but I think I would rather grab one of the TEs, or Keion White, Ojalari, etc. seems like the value is there.

Not sure if anyone would trade but a trade down would ideal, our 3rd rounder is so late.

Just now, seantaylor=god said:

Yeah, I assumed he’s off our board with the canceled visit. Weird stuff.

Folks may riot if we bypass oline but assuming Bergeron is gone, who else would be BPA there? JMS or Tippman would be ok but I think I would rather grab one of the TEs, or Keion White, Ojalari, etc. seems like the value is there.

Not sure if anyone would trade but a trade down would ideal, our 3rd rounder is so late.

Torrence, Steen, Avila, and Mauch.

Bergeron, Mauch, JMS, Avilia, Wypler

I'm guessing Begeron is who we pick at 47.

I'm hoping for JMS.

At 97 I'm thinking Henley or Overshown. I'd be happy with either.

I'd take Sanders at 47 and Stromberg at 97 personally.

Doubt Herbig makes it to 97.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Yeah.  Going Commando was also big on BJ Ojulari.  I think he'd rate him above Nolan Smith.  I wouldn't hate edge in the 2nd.  You need to keep replenishing.  However, taking an OL (hoping Bergeron or Tippmann) seems the path.  Whatever people criticize Ron for, he's not mortgaging the future or trying to save his job (like Pace did in Chicago with the Fields trade).  

I like Ojulari but not as much as him.  I like Keion better.  I like Derrick Hall slightly better than Ojulari.  But Ojulari would be next for me, and i'd love to have him.   

Some old school Orkpao discussion on the thread this morning -- Foskey reminds me a little of him -- really solid, does everything well but does not have killer bend-isn't twitchy.  Diaby in the late third would be interesing.

But lol, listening to Keim, I am even less convinced now they'd surprise us with edge.

It looks like they are doing what some on the draft thread like to do, while some hate the approach.  That is, work rounds by position.

Sounds like 2 positions considered per round and they take the best one left.

But i'd love to be surprised.  :ols:

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Again, not enough picks between 47 and 97. If we can figure out a way to trade down a bit from 47 and add another 3rd, that would open things up a bit. Sounds like Nickel and OL are the priorities. We can accomplish that at 47 and 97 and still have room to address DE, another OL, LB in R4-6 ... but those won't be premier picks out of the gate. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Bergeron, Mauch, JMS, Avilia, Wypler

I'm guessing Begeron is who we pick at 47.

I'm hoping for JMS.

At 97 I'm thinking Henley or Overshown. I'd be happy with either.

I'd take Sanders at 47 and Stromberg at 97 personally.

Doubt Herbig makes it to 97.

I would be very very surprised if Bergeron is there at 47. If JMS or Tippman are there, that is my second option

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Again, not enough picks between 47 and 97. If we can figure out a way to trade down a bit from 47 and add another 3rd, that would open things up a bit. Sounds like Nickel and OL are the priorities. We can accomplish that at 47 and 97 and still have room to address DE, another OL, LB in R4-6 ... but those won't be premier picks out of the gate. 

If we move down from 47, I think we are looking at adding 5ths and 6ths. I could care less about those in this draft